Backchat: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Soul Calibur

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Soul Calibur

This week, Backchat takes a look at Soul Calibur V and talks to Todd McFarlane about Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, and Irish zombies.

Watch Video

I've been mad at Todd McFarlane ever since he sold out Spawn after promising he wouldn't...

I might have to let go of that grudge.

Bah now I've been reminded that Talim is not in SC5, now I'm in a bad mood.

As for which character I would want as a guest from the whole history of gaming, that's easy....Minsc of course. Not sure who would make more sense out of Voldo or Minsc but it would be a great fight to see.

Game developers have ONE opportunity to impress me before I take my business elsewhere. Right now Namco is off of my list, because of DLC for classic characters.

As for the RE6 developer idea, I say they go ahead and put Team Sonic out of everyone's misery.

How are you guys watching this? I get 404'd on the video.
//Ah, now it loads.

What's with the new background?!? Also who is this dude that feels he needs to make fun of her accent every episode?

As for guest character, I'm going with the Master from Fallout because seriously who wouldn't want to play as a creepy mutated computer?

Man, what is a designer of puppets doing in an RPG?

And guest character? I say the caqrdboardtube samurai.

As far as having classic characters as DLC goes, I think on principle it's a fine idea, but presentation is key. For example: I'm not super familiar with Soul Calibur (or any fighting game for that matter), but I assume not every character appears in every game (right?). So I would say planning to include character's from the previous installment as DLC is bad form, but a character that hasn't been included since, say, the first game would be nifty.

As for a character I'd like to see (and will result in an immediate purchase) would be this fellow:

In that interview Todd sounds like he thinks he just invented the RPG genre.

Because he tried selling it with staples of the genre and saying "It's not like other games".

Seems I was included in this episode. Nice :)

As for old characters returning as DLC, I'm really not sure. The first consideration would, of course, be price. The second would be whether we're actually talking about the whole character or just their fighting style/soul for create a character. I would be much more willing to pay for, say, Mina if I actually got Mina as opposed to just getting her style and having to cobble together someone who kinda sorta looks like her. If all I would be getting is the basic style for CaC, it had better be for a very low price.

As for which guest characters I would actually like to see, I'm going to have to go with Final Fantasy cast members. Especially now that the game has super moves and so much flash, not to mention characters that look like Zwei and Patroklos, I could see Kain, Celes, Terra, Locke, Cloud, Tifa, Squall, etc. fitting right in perfectly.

Palademon:

Because he tried selling it with staples of the genre and saying "It's not like other games".

I know, right?
"This one you're actually dead to start with and you come back in the Well of Souls ... "

Totally original!
... oh wait ...

Palademon:

No kidding. If I was there I would have replied with "Um... Todd? The game looks fun and all, but you just described probably about a dozen games, most of which were RPGs." I mean heck, just off the top of my head, there's Demon's Souls, Mass Effect 2, The Witcher, and Soul Reaver where your character starts-out dead, and is then revived so the game can start.

I am liking this series :) wasnt expecting to. But now i am.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Palademon:

No kidding. If I was there I would have replied with "Um... Todd? The game looks fun and all, but you just described probably about a dozen games, most of which were RPGs." I mean heck, just off the top of my head, there's Demon's Souls, Mass Effect 2, The Witcher, and Soul Reaver where your character starts-out dead, and is then revived so the game can start.

Actually I thought of "Planescape: Torment", especially with the whole "filling in the backstory as you play" bit with some of it apparently dependant on what you choose to do. I believe "The Suffering" probably comes closest to what he describes though.

As far as guest characters, I'd actually like to see He-Man in Soul Calibur V. :)

a skyrim dragon would be cool as a support character, I suppose.
As for charging for extra playable characters, that is the worst idea ever, you payed for the whole game! Not fragments, but if they want to, charge less for the game. Maybe 25-30 dollars? Then you can have dlc

Therumancer:

As far as guest characters, I'd actually like to see He-Man in Soul Calibur V. :)

On that topic, I'd actually love to see a full on He-Man game using the Soul Calibur engine (even if I'm not in love with it myself). That would be cool. :)

Transcending history, a tale of swords and souls (or is it the other way around?), eternally retold. To me that sounds more like the Legacy of Kain series than it does Soul Calibur. I guess that's why it would make me giggle with glee to see Kain and Raziel made special characters in SC.

It'll never happen, as the two are so far beyond relevant that even their cameo as Guardian of Light DLC (which I thought was great) went practically unnoticed. They fit the setting, they have the right amount of character depth and style, all they lack is popularity. A shame, really. However, someone just above me did mention Soul Reaver in an example of RPG tropes... There may be hope yet.

Evil Smurf:
a skyrim dragon would be cool as a support character, I suppose.
As for charging for extra playable characters, that is the worst idea ever, you payed for the whole game! Not fragments, but if they want to, charge less for the game. Maybe 25-30 dollars? Then you can have dlc

Well, the industry is greedy enough where all they care about is if people will pay for it, not whether it's fair, or right and wrong. No matter how you deliver it, as soon as you say "take my money" they have won. You buy the DLC characters for this game and it encourages them to do the same thing. Of course to be honest they are doubtlessly looking at the success other fighting games have had with characters like Rain, Scarlet, Freddy Kruegar, Jill Valentine, and others recently. With the sales of "classic costume packs", it's nothing but predictable that someone would come up with the idea of simply removing some of the more popular, classic characters for a fighting game, and selling them as add ons.

I'm half expecting for next generation fighting game producers will take a queue from "Skylanders". You'll wind up paying $60 for a fighting game with say two characters, and a bunch of clips of differant characters to get you interested in them. Then they will charge you say $20 for each additional character you want to add to your roster. If they can convice people to buy plastic baubles with microdrives in them, or gaudy external attachments for your game deck as well for a premium price... they will doubtlessly do it. :)

I can see it now, Street Fighter V comes out and Capcom goes off on the fans "Hey, this is perfectly reasonable, we are selling a full product here with just Ken and Ryu, back with Karate Champ there were only two identical fighters and it was a complete game. Sadly with the rising costs of game development this is a reasonable way to do things, and as we said it's not like we aren't providing a full game experience that can't be enjoyed without the extra bells and whistles..."

It might sound like I'm joking, but honestly a lot of the things going on now would have seemed equally ridiculous 15 years ago.

Alright, don't bring the camera so close. Give us the top of Aoifa's head back, please.

Also, it would be awesome to have Ryo Hazuki in Soul Calibur.
- What can you tell me about the Three Blades?
- I see...

Lets bring in Link! I would at least like to be consistent in the characters I use to kick ass.
Also Zero is awesome... possibly better.

I have only played the series casually at a friend's place, so I don't really have more than a couple preferred characters, both of whom are in this game. So, I can't manage to get riled up about Taki. It's good they don't just reuse the entire roster every time. Wasn't Taki in 4, also? That's even on the same generation of consoles. I bet her pupil plays a lot like her too, right?

My dream character would be someone from a 3D brawler, they wouldn't really fit thematically as well as Ezio, but they would have the moves figured out. I think Bayonetta would be a ton of fun. Gene from God Hand could be really cool too, if his roulette attacks were incorporated into his common moves. Travis Touchdown might be pretty good, if he keeps the charging of his beam sword to the fight intro.

Even the new Dante should get a shot! Regular Dante is too busy with his MvsC3 job anyway.

Everything about GINX TV just seems like it's trying too hard.

Oh and you're very pretty but stop jerking your head around and squinting. It makes you look like you have a neurological condition that causes insincerity. Or that you've played too many Bioware games and that that is how you think people act.

And zoom out for god's sake.

Oh, and Voldo rocks.

Malignanttoe:
I've been mad at Todd McFarlane ever since he sold out Spawn after promising he wouldn't...

I might have to let go of that grudge.

Ive just gotten into spwan...

by "sold out" did he like sell the rights to a bigger publisher or somthing?

anyway does he have anything to do with that new RPG "kingdoms of alumur"?

Shotgun Guy:
What's with the new background?!? Also who is this dude that feels he needs to make fun of her accent every episode?

As for guest character, I'm going with the Master from Fallout because seriously who wouldn't want to play as a creepy mutated computer?

Temporary change of location for this week - it's my living room. Which is why the camera was slightly closer; short on space! It'll resume its usual stand-offishness next week.
The disembodied voice is Laurie who works on the show with me; it's fine that he makes fun of my voice, I laugh at him every time he says 'a glahhs of wahterr.' Silly English.

ACman:
Everything about GINX TV just seems like it's trying too hard.

Oh and you're very pretty but stop jerking your head around and squinting. It makes you look like you have a neurological condition that causes insincerity. Or that you've played too many Bioware games and that that is how you think people act.

You know, it is possible that she naturally emotes more when wearing curly hair. If this is the case, following your advise would only result in pretense sincerity and look rigid.

Don Reba:

You know, it is possible that she naturally emotes more when wearing curly hair. If this is the case, following your advise would only result in pretense sincerity and look rigid.

It is said that, like Samson, all my power lies within my hair.

Ah I'm glad that the Soul Calibur series is getting a slight tactics tweak. Usual playing of previous games seems to automatically descend in to button-bashing madness in moments!!

Also, hurray we have an Irish person doing an escapist show! I've been feeling left out for a while now... :)

WhiteTigerShiro:

Palademon:

Well, he is the comic creator whose signature character...starts out dead, and then is revived so the story can start.

For the Soul Calibur Cameo. Link, after all he come to town to save the Princess Zelda, and he's done it before.

Believe it or not I'm alright with Soul Cal classic characters coming back in as long as they're reasonably priced and not all of the characters return but I never got big into online with Soul Calibur 4 (though when I have more time and more sleep I intend to with 5) so I'm not the best judge.

As for Guest Characters, while I have plenty of ideas for Guests the one I'd like best is Haseo from .Hack GU (3rd form, Scythe weapons). Yes I know he's also voiced by Yuri Lowenthal but I see two solutions to this, the more desirable of which means Soul Cal will stock up on Lampshades, the less desirable is that they bring in Andrew Francis who voiced Haseo in Roots.

Other ideas include Arishok (who'd be a good fit with his weapon choices), Link and some big names from WoW.

AoifeGinx:

Shotgun Guy:

Temporary change of location for this week - it's my living room. Which is why the camera was slightly closer; short on space! It'll resume its usual stand-offishness next week.
The disembodied voice is Laurie who works on the show with me; it's fine that he makes fun of my voice, I laugh at him every time he says 'a glahhs of wahterr.' Silly English.

Pretty cool living room (except for maybe that pony...) but I prefer it in the standard way, respectful distances are nice. I suppose it's okay if you both make fun of each other for your voices, although mutually assured destruction might not be the best strategy, it can be a lot of fun.

This was me when she kept saying Barry. I don't know why.
odbf

The intro cinematics for the first two DLC PACKS just popped up on the internet. Just a heads up! links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQ3IZES_LQ&context=C3f75ad8ADOEgsToPDskJZKXqoG9hDBKxw1e-fSyF2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbV_cGODGwg

First off... Reckoning is pooling itself in with about 5 other rip-off artists combining the mechanics of multiple games, from different publishers and then thrusting their "New Idea" in the faces of the aforementioned publishers with a gesture that implies "Well you all did your thing, so I waited and stole my favorite parts of each of your productions to create my own soul-sucking atrocity which has been stapled together and all I had to actually come up with was a name for the main character! AND MINE IS BETTER!" It worries me to even consider purchasing a game like this because if it does suck, it just ruined my opinion of a network of other games... *Cough* Lost Odyssey, not a bad game, but after the reincarnation of FFs'turn-based battle style, the 500 hrs to get to lvl. 90 with all 9 characters and the fact that it is basically an interactive movie, with a hit and miss plot. I wasn't running to the attic to dig out my PS1 and a copy of FF8... These "combo-games" are supposed to make you miss your childhood favorites, not remind you of why they're collecting dust somewhere.

As far as Soul Calibur goes, the fact that it made it to 5 and Super Smash Brothers didn't do as well is beyond me... They're only good games if you're a mindless, button mashing zombie. As far as the DLC goes it's the producers tireless war against pre-owned video game sales which has them up in arms and making half the damn game DLC... God forbid you're out for the Achievements / Trophies, spend another $40 on this game and you will finally have the satisfaction you seek in never having to play it again.

I absolutely agree with you, Evil Smurf. There is absolutely no sense to draining your fanbase of $80-$100 for the entirety of a game. By doing this people are instinctively having to wait for it to come out pre-owned just to be able to fork out the Microsoft points afterwards for the full experience. >.< Shame on the ill mannered and greedy producers, who utilize this tact.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here