Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Star Wars: The Old Republic

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watch Video

I know it's hard to review mmopurgers but you did a fine job.

BTW, shouldn't Dennis Hopper have set Star Wars: The Old Republic to explode if it goes above slow walking pace and not below slow walking pace as you said? I say this because the later statement doesn't make any sense.

"So this is why they called him Han Solo."

Greatest. Closing line. EVER!

The treasure hunt is only the segue into the crime lord who's cargo you lost coming after you and attempting to fuck you up.

Oh man how did no one make a joke about "Han Solo" until Yatzee did? (Unless they already did and I didn't see/ hear it until now).
I wonder if his opinion would changed if he had a longer time to play it?

As soon as I saw what Yahtzee was reviewing today, my first thought was, "Oh no, a whole bunch of sacred cows are about to get brutally murdered."

...and I was right. Still funny, though.

Scarim Coral:
Oh man how did no one make a joke about "Han Solo" until Yatzee did? (Unless they already did and I didn't see/ hear it until now).

Because Han Solo's constant companion throughout the series is Chewie, who is a giant walking metaphor for 'Beaver'.

Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to, and I'm really hoping its fake.

So apparently even if you chose ranged combat you still end-up spending a good chuck of the game fiddling with your lightsaber.

I like the review and the jokes in it, but sadly I havn't played the game yet -doesn't play MMORPGs-

Scarim Coral:

That joke made me lol too hard

Excellent, good to know the impression of... right now I'm bored wasn't just mine,

and no I don't thing red crystal man gets on with green crystal man, they used to be best of friends, but their work came between them.
(I know sad, but it's better than explaining that green/blue/purple/yellow/silver etc crystals are real and red crystals are synthetic, created by it's owner and filled with the dark side)

Regarding the several people choice, you do get the points of what you chose even if it isn't picked. And I hear they're working on both the space combat and neutral gear.
Nice as always, was not expecting you to do an MMO, for obvious reasons. The big one of course being the rage you'll get unless you do guild wars 2 later.

RaikuFA:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to.

Say what? Never heard this one. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for clarification.

Excellent, good to know the impression of... right now I'm bored wasn't just mine,

and no I don't thing red crystal man gets on with green crystal man, they used to be best of friends, but their work came between them.
(I know sad, but it's better than explaining that green/blue/purple/yellow/silver etc crystals are real and red crystals are synthetic, created by it's owner and filled with the dark side)

If you are in a group conversation and the guy chosen to speak went with the other light/dark choice, you still get the points for the one you picked.

Yahtzee Croshaw:

Watch Video

After reviewing WoW I'm surprised he bothered with SWTOR but then it is a bit more single player focuses so I guess it can be easier to check out.

Also, you still get Dark Side points even if the winning invisi-roll was Light Side, you just don't get to see the cut scene.

Real question was, did Yahtzee play the virtuous smuggler or the "I'll bang anything that moves" kind?

I imagine Yahtzee would like the Sith Warrior campaign more seeing as you get to torture people within the first hour.

RaikuFA:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to, and I'm really hoping its fake.

I heard that people got banned for exploiting a bug that let them get into high level areas when they were low level and getting a ton of loot, is that what you mean? Bioware's being a bit banhappy from what I've heard, but it's nothing as outrageous as punishing you for being too good.

RaikuFA:

Fake, like the dancing ban.

For once Yahtzee actually isn't right-on-the-money because he got the moral choice system wrong: you do get the kind of light/dark side points you chose, even if you lose the roll. Only the story is affected by the winner.

Also the space combat isn't a pseudo-railshooter. It is a rail-shooter. Just because you can hop around in the railway carriage doesn't mean it's not om rails.

/S

Zachary Amaranth:

RaikuFA:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to.

Say what? Never heard this one. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for clarification.

http://i.imgur.com/j2CQY.jpg

Saw this and turned me away from this game, but I still feel its BS.

Ha Han Solo that was funny.

Are we talking about the same game here?

He didn't even mention the graveyard servers IN PEAK HOURS, FPS issues, brainless rude ToRons, 300 mil dollar project that coughed up this mess of a game and promising an experience in the words of, "unlike other mmorpgs, you DON'T grind or fight a big monster with lots of people in ToR, because that isn't very heroic".

-Then Yahtzee says something about how all MMOs are like this-

That's not the point! They promised something different and delivered this waste of an IP.

Qitz:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

Watch Video

After reviewing WoW I'm surprised he bothered with SWTOR but then it is a bit more single player focuses so I guess it can be easier to check out.

Also, you still get Dark Side points even if the winning invisi-roll was Light Side, you just don't get to see the cut scene.

Real question was, did Yahtzee play the virtuous smuggler or the "I'll bang anything that moves" kind?

Yeah, who would have thought that he would review two games of the same genre after giving favourable criticism to the first of the two. The strangest thing is that he has now stated that he enjoyed both games to some degree.

OT: Brilliant video. I loved the end joke.

Huh, okay then, guess despite my love for Bioware I'll wait for it to inevitably go free-to-play before I give it a shot and inevitably drop it after a few days.

RaikuFA:

Zachary Amaranth:

RaikuFA:

You can contact your bank and tell them to stop sending the money. That's been the general advice I've seen kicked around.

Bioware: Putting customer service first.

(I played this at my buddies for an hour: it's okay, but pretty much just like WOW, for good or bad. The main difference is less exploration-but you get voice acting and Bioware "choices".)

I now have a new definition for the MMORPG! Thank God for Jim Yahtzee!

RaikuFA:

Zachary Amaranth:

RaikuFA:

Haha - that's pretty funny. Kind of silly letting one persons crappy experience ruin your own, but to each their own. Nice review

Swtor is a great game. All it needs is a nice outdoor hub that people can freely duel in. Make it a bit more social *though alot of people are absorbed into the excellent single player questing*. Tidy up the responsiveness a bit and hammer out some bugs.

Im playing both wow and tor, and tor feels like the future of the mmo genre in alot of ways. Im having serious considerations for leaving permanently leaving wow for tor.

Mists of pandaria will try to bring me back but idk...

The Gentleman:
I imagine Yahtzee would like the Sith Warrior campaign more seeing as you get to torture people within the first hour.

I think the Imperial Agent would have been the best fit for him. I know it's a bit too late to be advising character classes; he already played and reviewed it. I'm just putting that out there. He always struck me as the conniving behind-the-scenes stealth enthusiast.

==

This was the first ZP to make me cackle out loud for quite some time.

Loved the "cows go moo" line and the end joke. I bet that was a pun he'd been waiting to use for quite some time.

As for the game itself, I'll probably get it eventually, but I'm saving it for a long dry spell.

Scarim Coral:

It's not exactly a new joke. I think last time I heard it, they did it better because it was poetry set to music.

Surprised and happy he chose to do this one.
He liked it *way* more than I.
Amazing he did not completely poop on it.

Hot Karl aside, I loved the Brugge and Belgium reference!

Han[d]s Solo? Yeah, I fucking see what you did there Yahtzee, and I loved it.

Just a quick note: If you choose light side and the convo "winner" chooses dark side (and vice versa) you do actually get points for your choice, not the resulting choice. Which can make the group stuff HILARIOUS.

I actually found the convo system to be MORE fun when you're in a group.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here