No Right Answer: Worst Instance When Fans Didn't Show Up

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Worst Instance When Fans Didn't Show Up

Fans are a strange breed. They sign petitions, stage rallies and basically go all weird until they get what they want, and once they get it...they don't want it any more. At least that's what the finance books show. So this week, our fearless debaters delve into the worst instance of fans not showing up for the very thing that they demanded not months earlier. Are you guilty of these atrocities?

And don't forget, if you don't understand our decisions or want to have more of our material to complete your shrines to us, Mondays feature a new written companion piece titled No Right Explanation. We dare you to make less sense!

Watch Video

Yeah, I hate when things like that happen. Scott Pilgrim, in my opinion, deserved to be far bigger of a success than it was. It was a movie dedicated to everything I love, and I loved every minute of it (though I get why many don't). It's a shame, but I'll keep signing those petitions to keep the shows I love on the air or bring the few good Wii games over from Japan (if Project Rainfall games flop in the U.S., I will never forgive my fellow gamers who complained about them for so long) in hopes they'll work out.

Well while I'm not that big fan of J-RPG I think in the long run Earthbound was more harmful in the long run.

Scott Pilgrim was O.K, but not that good, it was just too niche to succeed

When Earthbound came out, we were naive.

When Scott Pilgrim came out, we should have known better.

Scott Pilgrim. DONE.

Um, there was virtually no advertisement for Serenity. Admittedly, I didn't see Firefly till after Serenity, so I was not following it at that time, but the first I knew of the movie was a week after it came out seeing a single ad on comedy central at around 10:30 at night. The fan swell, no matter how large, is not going to be able to compensate for a complete LACK of advertising for something like a movie, which is generally in theaters for less than 1-2 months. Even now, where word of mouth is faster than ever before as far as effective advertising goes, it still takes several months to really get off the ground.

Speaking of word of mouth advertising, if you like Hard Rock/Metal, especially female vocalists, go buy the Hello it's Mz. Hyde EP.

I'll be honest, I have 0 interest in Xenoblade Chronicles, but I have it pre-ordered anyway. Why? because if this game fails, there is going to be an entire subgenre of games that will disappear from NA. It doesn't matter what you think of the genre, that is going to be a sad day. All that will happen to nintendo if the game fails is that people will resort to piracy which is not the solution we want.

I remember the Earthbound advertising campaign. It stank(literally). Scratch and sniff bad guys in foldouts.

I wanted Earthbound when I was younger. I put it on my birthday and Christmas wishlist for 3 years running.

My chore money wasn't enough over time to allow me to buy it, because I rented it every other weekend.

I almost certainly will not be playing Xenoblade. Why? Well, firstly, I'm a PC gamer, for the most part (even though I do have a Wii).

Secondly, I haven't been a big fan of JRPGs since Final Fantasy broke my heart.

Firefilm:

Fans are a strange breed. They sign petitions, stage rallies and basically go all weird until they get what they want, and once they get it...they don't want it any more. At least that's what the finance books show. So this week, our fearless debaters delve into the worst instance of fans not showing up for the very thing that they demanded not months earlier. Are you guilty of these atrocities?

And don't forget, if you don't understand our decisions or want to have more of our material to complete your shrines to us, Mondays feature a new written companion piece titled No Right Explanation. We dare you to make less sense!

Watch Video

Really, you know what I think it is? Sometimes the group making all the noise just isn't as large as they think they are. The internet has allowed a group's voice to be far, far larger than the group's roster.

And if you're standing in the middle of a herd of buffalo, stretching across your field of vision, you could be forgiven for thinking, "Jesus! The world is full of buffalo!" But then the herd moves on, and you see it really wasn't as big as it looked from the middle. Fans like to think their groups represent a majority... but they just represent a majority of the people those fans hang out with.

As a result, the amplitude of the outcry doesn't always feed into the magnitude of units sold.

(Also, a bunch of fans or semi-fans all yelling to each other about this upcoming thing... it makes them believe "everyone" knows about it, because they're surrounded by it. But the news is just bouncing around inside that little circle. Sometimes if you're surrounded by it, it's because you're surrounding yourself with it.)

Dastardly:

Firefilm:

Watch Video

Really, you know what I think it is? Sometimes the group making all the noise just isn't as large as they think they are. The internet has allowed a group's voice to be far, far larger than the group's roster.

And if you're standing in the middle of a herd of buffalo, stretching across your field of vision, you could be forgiven for thinking, "Jesus! The world is full of buffalo!" But then the herd moves on, and you see it really wasn't as big as it looked from the middle. Fans like to think their groups represent a majority... but they just represent a majority of the people those fans hang out with.

As a result, the amplitude of the outcry doesn't always feed into the magnitude of units sold.

Exactly, there is a difference between the Vocal minority and a true majority

1: Yay Madworld in the background at the end!

2:Scott Pilgrim's argument can be made for a few other things as well. The effects of Scott Pilgrim's failure is practically universal: "Original movies failing stop studios from taking risks."

Earthbound had effects that happened specifically because Earthbound failed: Mother 3 was never released in the US. And while it's not directly link to it, Nintendo is/was hesitant to bring some of its IPs to the west. We only very recently got Fire Emblem, we didn't get the first Animal Crossing game for the N64, and Super Smash Bros was almost Japanese exclusive.

3: Operation Rainfall: unfortunately, I do think that in a couple months, that will replace Earthbound as the "worst failure to show up".

I know it's been a long time since Earthbound came out, but I remember buying a Nintendo Power magazine that had details of a scratch and sniff monster compendium that came with the game. Does anyone else remember anything like this, or am I just crazy?

Although the game looked fun and I was tempted to buy it, I didn't. I don't remember why, but it might have had something to do with not seeing it in stores for very long, or waiting for the price to drop, or just not wanting to spend my paper route money on it.

vxicepickxv:
I remember the Earthbound advertising campaign. It stank(literally). Scratch and sniff bad guys in foldouts.

I wanted Earthbound when I was younger. I put it on my birthday and Christmas wishlist for 3 years running.

My chore money wasn't enough over time to allow me to buy it, because I rented it every other weekend.

Oh good, I'm not crazy; someone else remembers the scratch and sniff stuff. To me it all smelled like old bath salts.

On Earthbound, maybe if A) They'd released it outside North America, and B) Hadn't run a totally counter-productive marketing campaign, it might have done a bit better.

ummm... how is earthbound the fans fault? Im a fan of earthbound but i didnt play it till 2000.

I think the argument is flawed.

Fans didn't demand Earthbound and then not buy it when it was released. When Earthbound was released, pretty much nobody had ever heard of Mother. It wasn't until later, when the popularity had grown, and knowledge of the previous game became more common, that the popularity of Earthbound skyrocketed.

There was twelve years of increasing popularity for Earthbound which led for a demand for a US release of Mother 3. Would it have sold well? The tragedy is that we'll never be able to find out, but the fault lies with the publishers, not the fans.

I didn't like Scott Pilgrim, I thought it wasn't much more than gamers fan services. Dan, I like Horrible Bosses too, still I don't see the point for a sequel other than money grabbing.

I like both sides of the argument here, and I think both Kyle and Chris did a good job at it. Earthbound was pretty literally insane and an interesting departure from the usual J-RPG deal, and Scott Pilgrim was a surprisingly well made nerdy kung fu romantic comedy.

Even though I actually liked Scott Pilgrim a whole lot better, I'm still putting my eggs in the Earthbound basket. Reason? Because much as we might not like to admit it, that movie made $47 million. Earthbound, on the other hand, sold half as well in the entire US as it did in Japan. The problem with Scott Pilgrim is that the studio made the budget for that project huge and, while the movie is epic and brilliant, there just aren't enough geeks who want that sort of thing to justify that much funding.

Amazing how much Edgar Wright looks like Simon Pegg there...

I was too young to know about Earthbound (or games in general), but I still should've known better! Scott Pilgrim on the other hand, loved it! Saw it twice(?) in theaters, bought the game and DVD when they came out. Still need to buy the books though.

I thought Horrible Bosses was pretty good, but is there really gonna be a sequel?

*Runs to check IMDB*

...Shit...

I have nothing to add to this conversation that wasn't already said by Cracked:

The Milkman thinks there's something else you missed out on.

Could not get EB growing up. Parents couldn't find it. So I blame Ninty for that one for not supplying enough.

Saw Scott Pilgrim in theatres, afterwards I bought the books and the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo pack.

I will be buying Xenoblade even if I'm not intrested in it as much as the other 2 OR games(still am intrested in it, just not as much as TLS and PT) because if I don't, then we won't get The Last Story. Remember that people.

Earthbound came out when I was 4 and didn't have a super nintendo so I claim no responsibility for that. I'm playing mother 3 now and love it am I the only one who cried after the first chapter? Buy Xenoblade anyway and just give it to someone on the fence (or me because I'm poor).

Jericho.

Absolutely brilliant series. Cancelled after Season 1.

FAN acclaim / protests BROUGHT IT BACK.

Noone watched the new season. It got cancelled again.

That's a bigger fail than Scott Pilgrim or Earthbound. IT GOT RESURRECTED AND WE STILL BLEW IT.

The only time I went to the cinema when Scott Pilgrim was out I went with my fiancee and she wanted to see something else. I could have watched Scott Pilgrim instead but she said whatever I watched she didn't want to see it and when you go to the cinema with someone it sort of defies the point if you watch different movies, so I ended up watching the Killers again instead.

The_root_of_all_evil:

The Milkman thinks there's something else you missed out on.

Pffft! At least we an still buy Psychonauts on Steam and PS2 really easily. Trying to find a copy of Earthbound for a console very few people own anymore is less than simple.

OT: I didn't even know what Scott Pilgrim was until I saw the Blu-ray in shops and thought it looked good. Then after I watched it I became a huge Scott Pilgrim fan and bought the comics and played the games. So yeah, I blame marketing of the film in the UK because it passed me by without a blip on my radar :(

Firefilm:
snip

Dear Chris,
You are a bad gamer for spending all this time talking about how it is a shame that Mother 3 will never be released in the US, and then saying you won't buy Xenoblade Chronicles, which Nintendo is just going to use as an example of why they shouldn't port other games (like Mother 3).

Scott Pilgrim? Really? XD
It happened exactly what was supposed to happen. Do terrible in theatre, making a killing on DVD. How was anyone surprised by this? Also, hating on Micheal Cera? He's perfect for the role. That tells me most of all that people don't even understand the comics, if they read it at all.
(Also, it was the best choice to make 6 books into 1 movie)

Earthbound, now, that's very different, but it's been said before. Like that big box with posters and all the bonus material, making it very expensive buying it new. Also, it was by a developer that was unknown in the west. Maybe if they had slapped a Squaresoft sticker on the box, that might have helped it. There are many very good videos on the web about the history of the Mother series, and I feel redundant retelling it.

For me, both of those issues are equal in the way that they are not anyone's mistake at all. It played out in a predictable manner.

esperandote:
I didn't like Scott Pilgrim, I thought it wasn't much more than gamers fan services.

Yeah, Scott Pilgrim seemed to me to be the same kind of pandering to geek culture as The Big Bang Theory. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.

I just started watching this video series on the escapist, and I just wanted to say, I enjoy the topics almost every time.

It's funny but this particular show doesn't really affect me.

As to Scott Pilgrim: Comic fan that I am, I had never heard of this until after the movie came out, and then I assumed it was inspired by the movie, not the other way around. The actual movie didn't look appealing to me (and I highly suspect most of the general audience) If you didn't already know the source, and as I stated, the source release was not overwhelming, the trailers showed a seizure-inducing, video game referencing, cliched and goofy storyline. It's little wonder that no one went to see it. Hell, I still haven't seen it.

As to Earthbound: I wasn't there for the original release, but to be honest, I wouldn't care either way. The minute you say JRPG ( "crazy" or not) I start walking away. Also, I don't flip out for video games. Elder Scrolls and the Batman AA and AC games are the only ones to have ever generated any real excitement in me, and even though I enjoyed both games, my world would not end if I had never played them. People who tell me that an already released game was awesome or fun to play, rarely inspire me to actually buy the game.

I cannot stand Michael Cera and I thought he was the absolutely wrong choice to play Scott - however, I did go to the theater and purchase the DVD because I knew that I would enjoy it anyways. And I was right. It was a fantastic film and it made me forget for a brief time that I don't like Michael Cera.

Susurrus:
Jericho.

Absolutely brilliant series. Cancelled after Season 1.

FAN acclaim / protests BROUGHT IT BACK.

Noone watched the new season. It got cancelled again.

That's a bigger fail than Scott Pilgrim or Earthbound. IT GOT RESURRECTED AND WE STILL BLEW IT.

I was ridiculously upset that they cancelled it again. Season 2 was building towards something really awesome (which thankfully carried over into the comic book).
Another show like that? Reaper. Absolutely excellent, cancelled before its time - bigger tragedy than Firefly in my opinion.

2xDouble:
I have nothing to add to this conversation that wasn't already said by Cracked:

I'm sorry, massive promo campaign for Serenity? I don't think so. Except for me, NONE of my friends had even seen a single ad for the movie. And I only saw one ad two weeks after it was already in theaters. Yet, oddly enough, everyone I convinced to see it enjoyed the movie.

I too saw SP twice in theatres and I bought the Blu Ray on release day. I did my part.

On the Xenoblade Chronicles front. I won't be buying it either, but I live in the U.K. and had access without the begging. So my abstaining has no effect on the overall success of Operation Rainfall. None of you can call me a bad gamer.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here