Escape to the Movies: Chronicle

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

370999:

artanis_neravar:

TheDrunkNinja:

Alright, it's not really about my standards or getting over your problems. My whole spiel is mostly about how people are dealing with those problems. Like you said, I don't know you. I don't know how you deal with them. But I will say, admitting that if you were granted power, you would abuse said power for revenge's sake. Not simple retribution, but fucking murder? That's like admitting you can't be trusted for any real responsibility. Unless you're like an angsty teenager, there's no excuse for that kind of behavior. Again, I don't know you, so I'm not saying you said any of that. This is all on Bob. Hell, I judge Bob more than anyone else since he's the one throwing his past problems in our faces while demanding we still take him seriously. It's childish. And he's ten years older than I am. It's inexcusable.

He's the one who put's his past problems in his videos. If he doesn't want my criticism for complaining about how a stupid horror movie from the '90s ruined his early years in life, he shouldn't have put it on a media of mass communication and free-speech like the internet. And he expects me to take his word seriously. It's not going to happen.

If you don't like what he puts in his videos than you don't have to watch them. You claim to have gotten past your own issues but here you are bullying people who haven't gotten past their issues yet.

First of all that is pathetic, you instantly claim Drunken is a bully in that he disagrees with you. He has as much right to disagree and dislike as you do to differ and like and agree.

Secondly it is entirely possible that, like me, he enjoys Bob's stuff in general as Bob can be a very perceptive reviewer but really disliek this victimhood mentality that get's brought in. Human beings don't have to be binary creatures of complete adoration or loathing.

And finally, Bob is a critic, he should expect it to happen back to him. Bob seems to have no compnction for pulling punches when he disagrees with others, so why should I with him.

It wasn't instant, it was after he repeatedly insult Bob for how he deals with his problem. That is bullying.

Secondly he said "he expects me to take his word seriously. It's not going to happen." this reads as him not liking Bob's reviews.

Just got back from watching it, I highly recommend it.
I wish the ending had been different though but it was still good.
Some cgi tweaked to look better, like the toy bear and ping pong ball.
and for the more actiony parts that they didnt rely on the camera view thing
but still really good.

Spotted Chronicle back in October. Glad it's still come through as awesome as it looked :)

I'm one of a very small number of general movie fans that REALLLLLLY likes the found footage approach.

Like it or not, it does add a layer of unglamorous realism to a film. And if there's one thing movies need more of, it's a lack of glamour and polish. I get awfully tired of the very well trimmed and squeaky clean actors in films, the types who never appear to get muddy or a bruised no matter what they go through, the found footage movement is like the complete antithesis of the scrubbed and shined photoshopped finish we're so used to.

The characters always just feel much more human and I like that.

And I'm going seeing this movie on wednesday, it looks incredible and it may be the best live action Akira we get. So I plan on enjoying it.

Maybe I will do something for my birthday after all. Cheers Bob, I'll be looking into this.

Also about this bullying come super power debate.

I was never bullied, always a pretty decent fighter so after the first year of scraps in secondary school. When everyone had kinda figured out the pecking order, I didn't get into many altercations and I take pride in having stopped a lot of bullying happening by just stepping in and givin them the eye.

But if I got mad level telekinesis you'd better believe I'd got rob a load of banks and topple the military.

I wouldn't kill any soldiers but I would disarm the lot, go straight to the top brass and say 'You is all my bitches now'.

Nah, I wouldn't really.... too public.

I would however use the power to seriously change things. If it ended up escalating to a military level conflict. So be it. But the world is in dire need of some drastic changes, and if I was given the ability to instigate these changes. I wouldn't squander them.

That would no doubt earn me the tittle of villain in the eyes of the general public... until I won and wrote my own version of the events that is.

Do people really get this mad when bob talks about his personal life. By the way he really didn't say anything besides he roots for the villain at the end of the show. And from the two maybe three episodes that he's mentioned his distain from bully's. I haven't seen him mention it much if at all for months. And really if we judge people we don't know it is in fact the same thing as being a bully. OT: not sure I will like this movie, I might see it with friends next week, or wait and rent it when it comes out.

Awesome. My girlfriend and I have been looking forward to this, glad it came out so well. I saw previews and thought it looked promising but I had a big problem with the whole found footage element (didn't know it had a name till now). Tomorrow it's on then.

daxterx2005:

MrDeckard:

I kind of love you.

Meh, I think I'll pass. If its anything like his other movies, it'll be a boring, convoluted, "racially insensitive" and have some really irritating scenes. I personally don't want to go to a movie for cool explosions and instead get Adam Sandler being lectured by his mother about masturbation.

370999:
I think your point at large is fine but having a movie made with an focus ona group of three male friends is fine and probaly made it the better movie.

Why do you think it made the movie "better" by having all the protagonist be male? How would the movie have been inferior by having a predominantly female cast?

I saw the movie the other day. I thought it was awesome although the last 20 minutes or so seemed like they could have been taken from a live action Akira. Seriously, all you'd need would be someone shouting 'KANEDA' and 'TETSUO' and you wouldn't know the difference.

The smile I got from realizing this movie is pretty good became twisted when I saw mention of "Candy Land with Adam Sandler".
I guess some filmmakers have well-functioning brains, while others have brain-AIDS that causes them to not blurt out stupid ideas.

lesterley:

370999:
I think your point at large is fine but having a movie made with an focus ona group of three male friends is fine and probaly made it the better movie.

Why do you think it made the movie "better" by having all the protagonist be male? How would the movie have been inferior by having a predominantly female cast?

Because the writer is probably male and therfore I would imagine he could write men better. Also prehaps this betrays me as some type of sexist monster but when someone says "teenagers dicking around with a video camera" I get the mental image of them being boys. Just from my personnal experience, I dunno, the presmise of a bunch of girls videotaping everything and then getting superpowers seems more outlandish,

I know the whole thing is obviously fantasy, but I find it harder to find a group of girls reacting like that compared to a group of boys. Not sayin you couldn't make a movie about girls getting superpowers but I struggle to imagine it playing out like the writer intended.

I think for me it's like the artistic intent or vision, like if it was intended to be girls then it would be good or if it was intended to be all boys that's fine.

I don't mean to offend you either way.

It wasn't instant, it was after he repeatedly insult Bob for how he deals with his problem. That is bullying.

Secondly he said "he expects me to take his word seriously. It's not going to happen." this reads as him not liking Bob's reviews.

That doesn't strike me as bullying, maybe I'm biased because I tend to think Bob is the type of guy who engages in bad mouthing other people, Bay is a douchbag who makes movies for douchbags, but really it's a couple of posts.

Aye. that is more dubious. Personnally I tend to read as someone more disapointed in trends of Bob's reviewing.

{quote]I would however use the power to seriously change things. If it ended up escalating to a military level conflict. So be it. But the world is in dire need of some drastic changes, and if I was given the ability to instigate these changes. I wouldn't squander them.

That would no doubt earn me the tittle of villain in the eyes of the general public... until I won and wrote my own version of the events that is.
[/quote]

Except how could you win? You have no legitimacy at all. If you were to give me an order i would tell you to fuck off, if you were to enforce it with threat of death I would attempt to organise a group to resit and kill you and if that were to fail I would wait to you died.

Do people really get this mad when bob talks about his personal life. By the way he really didn't say anything besides he roots for the villain at the end of the show. And from the two maybe three episodes that he's mentioned his distain from bully's. I haven't seen him mention it much if at all for months. And really if we judge people we don't know it is in fact the same thing as being a bully. OT: not sure I will like this movie, I might see it with friends next week, or wait and rent it when it comes out.

Get's this mad when he talks about? You see it's so often unnessary and forced in and often I feel it lessens his review where he makes it all about his viewpoint on the world and less about the film's view point and if it's skilled in presenting it.

It's not just disdain, it seems Bob has a set of people who are bullies i.e right wing, sceince hating, white male, religious people compared to Bob's idealised version of his weird left wing group, weird in that it seems to be so inconsistent. Like whenever he talks about politics this percieved bi-polar fight seems to be how he characterises it, which is unhelpful as if you are going to tlak about anything you have to recognsie that there msut be some reason why people disagree with you, especially if they do it in large numbers.

Saying judging him is bullying is silly. Bob judges people all the time i.e the transformers thing, so he doesn't have a strong position there. Besides part of being human is social interaction, and part of that is that everything you do from kissing that girl, to saying that comment has a consequences and alters how you are percieved.

To join in on the topic, I got bullied a lot, for a long time, and mostly physically. Sometimes revenge fantasies popped up, but even in elementary school I knew there's a difference between justice and revenge that can only lead to more violence. If not directed at me, frustration will directed at somebody else, maybe even against oneself. And I didn't want to become what I hated, so I put up with it and ignore it as best I could.

In retrospect that probably just made me more of a target, but I can't say I'm not proud of my decision. Heck one time a guy (rich nerdy type) offered me to get one of his buddies to follow me around and "aggressively protect me". Which just really weirded me out. Thankfully he scrapped the idea after I didn't show up to the spot where I'd meet that bodyguard.
Nothing more creepy than children or pre-teens that act like adults.

If I suddenly had superpowers I'd probably try to find out how they work, to what extent and how they came to be etc. I definitely wouldn't go around flaunting them. It can only cause problems in the long run and it's always a wise decision to be underestimated by (potential) enemies so you keep an ace up your sleeve.

TheDrunkNinja:

canadamus_prime:
And I repeat: Don't judge everyone else by your standards. I can't just snap my fingers and get over something. Although I really wish I could.

Alright, it's not really about my standards or getting over your problems. My whole spiel is mostly about how people are dealing with those problems. Like you said, I don't know you. I don't know how you deal with them. But I will say, admitting that if you were granted power, you would abuse said power for revenge's sake. Not simple retribution, but fucking murder? That's like admitting you can't be trusted for any real responsibility. Unless you're like an angsty teenager, there's no excuse for that kind of behavior. Again, I don't know you, so I'm not saying you said any of that. This is all on Bob. Hell, I judge Bob more than anyone else since he's the one throwing his past problems in our faces while demanding we still take him seriously. It's childish. And he's ten years older than I am. It's inexcusable.

Alright, but don't be surprised when people judge you in return.

lesterley:
Dude. Dude. Dude.

Maybe just silly me, but I think it a decision to market it more towards the target audience. You know. Americans can only sympathize with Americans. Tragedy only hits home when it's in New York. Only nerdy teenage boys are into comicbooks and shounen animanga from which this movie draws influence. So obviously if you want the viewer to identify with the cast, everyone has to be a male, a slut or a love interest.

Y'know.
The reasoning of a "suit".

Definitely want to go and see this :D

Normally I hate the whole "found footage" thing, but you were right about Paranormal activity so I will be giving this one a chance. As always, thanks for the insight Bob.

i wish i could throw shit around with ma mind, i would use my powers for profit... unless of course i am the black guy who sacrifices himself. this is off topic but why in gods name did they kill off the most interesting character in Xmen first class?, HE DIDNT EVEN GET TO KICK ANY ASS!!!

I loved chronicle, it was utterly amazing.

But two points about your review

I would also say the way the character who keeps cameras around him does so has more of a point than you suggest.

lesterley:
Dude. Dude. Dude.

I am so sick of every action/thriller/sci-fi/superhero movie being a giant bro-fest! Why couldn't at least ONE of the characters in this movie be a woman? Or how about 2 women and one guy? That would have been an interesting dynamic.

But no... 99% of today's movies are made by and for men. Any female character is simply a sex object for the male gaze.

And don't start giving me examples of female superheroes in movies, unless you can give me one who DOESN'T dress like a stripper (or worse), and who has her own life that is not dependent upon a male character.

Ugh.

Never seen The Craft, I take it?

I'm guessing there wasn't a screening for Woman in Black? Other than that I guess it's great to hear that Chronical turned out as well as it did! It may be my first movie of 2012 (I know I know, I'm late)

I saw this on Thursday and mostly agree with Bob - the found footage kinda works even though I'm not fan of the style (but that may be because they had the camera floating a lot) and the film was indeed awesome. However I wasn't quite as sold on the bullied character as he was. I can't give an adequate explanation without spoiling things, so click at your own peril:

Back to the film as a whole; the stuff at the end was very Akira, all I heard in my head during the climax was Kaneda! and Tetsuo! over and over. I was disappointed with how much they showed in the trailer, but I guess you have to throw some of the big money shots into the trailer to give it it's oomph.

I was expecting this film to be a miss. Glad I was wrong.

Also, I may be alone in this opinion but I think REC did amazing things with the found footage gimmick. To be honest, I think I'm just disappointed by most recent found footage films because I have to compare them to REC.

I think we are all thankfull that you never got any other superpower than your critical judgement Bob.

Henkie36:
I will say that I agree with Bob. I don't paticularly like those shakycam shots in any movie, and it is well phrased that most of them would probably be better without it. But, might give tis one a watch.

But the time there is Shaky cam is when it is necessary. All shaky cam shots were done intentionally and made sense. Even when they were shaky came they were held still enough so that you would know what is going on.

How do I know this? I saw it tonight, I loved it.

Hey, let's get back to the important issue.

Go Giants.

Wouldn't a "nerd revenge story that's not a comedy" be something like The Social Network? Ostracized lonely nerdy kid changes the world? Yeah.

Well done, Bob, you've both effectively made me want to see this movie, and completely put me off the idea by telling me everything about it. Smooth. Want to buy me some ice cream then eat it, too?

artanis_neravar:

lesterley:
Dude. Dude. Dude.

I am so sick of every action/thriller/sci-fi/superhero movie being a giant bro-fest! Why couldn't at least ONE of the characters in this movie be a woman? Or how about 2 women and one guy? That would have been an interesting dynamic.

But no... 99% of today's movies are made by and for men. Any female character is simply a sex object for the male gaze.

And don't start giving me examples of female superheroes in movies, unless you can give me one who DOESN'T dress like a stripper (or worse), and who has her own life that is not dependent upon a male character.

Ugh.

Djinn8:

Let the right one in (debatable)
Girl with the dragon tattoo
Terminator 2
Aliens
Run Lola, run

To name a few off the top of my head.

These and:
Themla and Louise
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Sound of Music
Grease
Fargo
Erin Brokovich
GI Jane
Kill Bill
Blue Crush
Juno
Silence of the Lambs
V for Vendetta
Underworld

I think her point stands - none of the women you listed are superheroes in the genre sense. They don't have specific superpowers. Many are totes kickass, but for the most part the women you've listed are the way they are because of the lives they've led, not because of some innate power. While I don't know the full list, I know that Salander and Evey only wound up the way they were because of how they'd been treated by men. Also I think we'd have a hard time calling Lara Croft a character/Erin Brokovich is an actual person/Grease has heroes (sorry, I'm allergic to musicals)?

Heroes, though, is one superhero show that handles lady-super-dramas really, really well. At least up until season two or three.

While I'm not doubting that it was easier for a male writer/director to write/direct male characters, mixing things up and throwing a girl in there as someone more important than a love interest could've made for an interesting mix. Think about it: How would you write a teenage girl who suddenly develops telekinetic powers? How would her male counterparts react? Would she go Magneto or Spidey? Thinking on it, it might be better as another film - but Lesterly has a point.

Hevva:

artanis_neravar:

lesterley:
Dude. Dude. Dude.

Ugh.

Djinn8:

Terminator 2
Aliens
Run Lola, run

These and:
Themla and Louise
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Sound of Music
Grease
Fargo
Erin Brokovich
GI Jane
Kill Bill
Blue Crush
Juno
Silence of the Lambs
V for Vendetta
Underworld

I think her point stands - none of the women you listed are superheroes in the genre sense. They don't have specific superpowers. Many are totes kickass, but for the most part the women you've listed are the way they are because of the lives they've led, not because of some innate power. While I don't know the full list, I know that Salander and Evey only wound up the way they were because of how they'd been treated by men. Also I think we'd have a hard time calling Lara Croft a character/Erin Brokovich is an actual person/Grease has heroes (sorry, I'm allergic to musicals)?

Heroes, though, is one superhero show that handles lady-super-dramas really, really well. At least up until season two or three.

While I'm not doubting that it was easier for a male writer/director to write/direct male characters, mixing things up and throwing a girl in there as someone more important than a love interest could've made for an interesting mix. Think about it: How would you write a teenage girl who suddenly develops telekinetic powers? How would her male counterparts react? Would she go Magneto or Spidey? Thinking on it, it might be better as another film - but Lesterly has a point.

They did say "action/thriller/sci-fi/superhero" But for super heroes, I agree with both of you, but only in movies. In the comics, you have Kitty Pride and Rouge, to name my two favorites

You know, we need this type of superhero/supervillain dynamic-
There is a bully, and there is a victim.
However, in a twist, the bully is a emotionally scarred kid with poor parents and a troubled history that leads to him bullying as the only available outlet to vent his frustrations on the world. In comparison, the victim, while hating the bully, does not find himself being anti-social because of a close circle of supportive friends and family.
Later, they both get superpowers, and while the victim wants to keep his powers a secret, the bully becomes increasingly unstable committing worse acts of violence. This means that the victim has no choice but to fight the bully on a grand scale...
Wait...
It's been done before, hasn't it?

Awwww come on Mr. Sandler! Really?

As for this movie, I decided I wanted to see it since the trailer but I forgot the title. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement to see it!

I hope there's at least one....

KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

canadamus_prime:

TheDrunkNinja:

canadamus_prime:
Yes. I'm also 30 and it still effects me to this day; not as much as it once did, but still does. It's because of that that I'm afraid to go out and meet new people. And yeah, if I got super powers I'd probably go around smashing bullies in the face.
So maybe you're more resilient than Bob and myself, hooray for you; but don't go around judging everyone else by your standards.

Okay. I refer you to my original post.

And I repeat: Don't judge everyone else by your standards. I can't just snap my fingers and get over something. Although I really wish I could.

I'm sorry to hear that. I personally am one of those people who just gets over it generally within minutes of being bullied I was done being sad and moving onto the next thing don't know why just the way I'm wired. I have several friend who have trouble getting over stuff like this, so I understand at least to some degree. I hope you end up in a good place in relation to this man.

And drunk ninja no offense but your kinda being a prick.

On topic as soon as I saw the trailer I was hoping the one that goes evil(ish) was the one who bought the farm. I've always felt stooping to the bullies level was a fate worse than death. To become that which you hate I mean holy cow. I understand the reasoning but I find it abhorrent. The movie sounds interesting though May give it a watch.

Djinn8:

lesterley:

Ugh.

Terminator 2
Aliens
Run Lola, run

artanis_neravar:

These and:
Themla and Louise
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Sound of Music
Grease
Fargo
Erin Brokovich
GI Jane
Kill Bill
Blue Crush
Juno
Silence of the Lambs
V for Vendetta
Underworld

You guys must have failed hard at Reading Comprehension back in school. Not a single one of those listed are even remotely close to being super hero movies, and some even fail the "doesn't dress like a stripper (or worse)" and/or "life isn't dependent on a male character" requirement.

Anyway, closest I could probably think of off-hand would be Hitgirl from Kick-Ass. Granted that none of the characters are "super" by any means, but the movie/comic still fall into the genre purely by virtue of being a parody/critique on the super hero genre as a whole.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here