Copyrights and Copycats

Pages PREV 1 2

Scrustle:
I would really love to try Steamtown. It sounds awesome. But alas, a Google search seems to indicate that it is merely a fabricated and hypothetical example.

Yeah, I spent a good ten minutes looking for it, and I was very disappointed to find it was fake. I would LOVE a good steampunk game like that...

krellen:

The most important point against you here: Juries are not allowed, by penalty of law, to research the cases they are hearing. It is the job of the judge and the lawyers to present the issue, not of the juries to discover it for themselves. A juror that independently researches a case can be found in contempt of court, fined and possibly jailed.

This point is, for me, a big deficiency of the system.
While in Italy the judge has the duty and the powers to seek the truth, independently from what the lawyers decide or are able to present; in the jury system seems that what is judged is the skill of the lawyers, not the facts.

One thing is not to be influenced by external sources, another thing is to study and investigate the case, even by your own.

And while this is his job (and probably his vocation) for the judge, it's a duty for the jurors.

A nice take on the thorny issue of expanding the body of laws to take into account more aspects of intellectual property rights infringement.

And...yeah. Anything beyond a lawsuit that involves only experts and neutral parties sufficiently educated to actually make a decision not entirely based on the slickness of a lawyer really only pushes the ball further in the court of the people who can afford expensive lawyers. Those people unfortunately already have far too many rights in comparison to the rights of those of us who cannot afford as fancy of lawyers.

Someone please make Steamtown. That game sounds awesome. I Googled it and was sad when I found out it wasn't a real game.

Lately I've begun to think that, in the same way our knowledge of science has made it impossible to be a polymath anymore, the diversification and specialization of knowledge, professions, hobbies, and technology has made it impossible to have a jury or Congress that is qualified to decide on matters pertaining to those specialized areas. It's just one more way that an 18th Century constitution is fundamentally unable to create a government capable of dealing appropriately with 21st Century issues. Yeah we can amend the thing, but it's so difficult to do and so many amendments are needed.

I think we need a Constitution for the world that electricity, petroleum, and the internet have made. Overhaul copyright law, overhaul the voting system, overhaul how jurors are selected, overhaul who is permitted to decide on what in Congress.

Otherwise the insanity created when law and reality clash will only get worse.

McMullen:
Lately I've begun to think that, in the same way our knowledge of science has made it impossible to be a polymath anymore, the diversification and specialization of knowledge, professions, hobbies, and technology has made it impossible to have a jury or Congress that is qualified to decide on matters pertaining to those specialized areas. It's just one more way that an 18th Century constitution is fundamentally unable to create a government capable of dealing appropriately with 21st Century issues. Yeah we can amend the thing, but it's so difficult to do and so many amendments are needed.

I think we need a Constitution for the world that electricity, petroleum, and the internet have made. Overhaul copyright law, overhaul the voting system, overhaul how jurors are selected, overhaul who is permitted to decide on what in Congress.

Otherwise the insanity created when law and reality clash will only get worse.

This, the original article, and several other posts on this thread worry me. As a lawyer, I know how to the law works and where it does not. I know there are problems with copyright law, but I also know that it's 99% perfect because 99.99% of cases turn out exactly like they should. You may not like the EFFECTS of copyright law, but I guarantee that if we remade the law to be "perfect" then you'd end up with pretty much the exact same thing. The same goes, even more so, with the US Constitution itself.

On another note, I think people absolutely misunderstand the role of a jury. They are not there to research and know about a topic, they are there to LEARN and then DECIDE. It's best to leave them as a blank canvas and let the lawyers (lawyerS, there is at least one for EACH SIDE) paint the picture for them.

There is no "insanity" under current law. Maybe companies and individuals suing with frivolous claims, but look at the outcomes and you'll see a system operating exactly as it should. Until you understand that system and look at it through adult eyes, you'll never see the remaining 1% of the law where true reform is needed.

I still feel like it wouldn't be too difficult to make a case against that Chinese TF2 knockoff...
I honestly feel like many gamers couldn't honestly define the line between clone and a new, but similar game. I suppose I'd go start with Roguelikes, considering the genre title...

I'm pretty certain civil cases don't necessarily have juries, so I'm pretty certain your misanthropic fears about the intelligence of the common juror are misplaced.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here