The Darkness II Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Darkness II Review

The Darkness II is pretty much Mortal Kombat: The First Person Shooter.

Read Full Article

INteresting review Paul, but six hours!? Really!? That is really disappointing.

Only 6 hours? That's way too short to be a buy for me, even with coop. Still, it'll probably be a good rental.

If a price drop comes by soon, I'll pick it up, but even with the massive amount of praise this is getting for gameplay on various sites, I just can't justify $60 for 6 hours. Hell, I could do $40, and I'd still be considering it if it were even $50 (though I doubt I go through with it), but this is asking a bit much considering everything being released now.

I've been meaning to get around to playing the first game, and will probably do that first anyway since it's real cheap by now. Still, a 6 hour campaign definitely doesn't warrant a full price purchase.

Six hours? Jackie will have barely have time to finish loading his shotgun!

Damn, it's only six hours long?!

I'm glad to know that it's a good game but damn that's too short to buy at full price. Well I guess I can get the first one to play while I wait for the price to go down.

Okay. I need to play this game. Straight to the top of the gamefly queue it goes! That review had me sitting in awed surprise after some of those kills. It seems just the kind of psychopathic shenanigans I've been wanting of late. Looks all kinds of fun.

For PC guys:

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Locked FOV at 70 makes it extremely uncomfortable to play on the PC, either wait for them to patch it into the game or just don't buy.

Why were people so pumped about this game? The first one was kind of awful, and that seemed to be the general agreement as far as I could tell.

So why was I seeing so much hype for a sequel 3-4 years after the fact?

"...or using your darkness powers to bite them to death death."
Audio glitch at 1:31 weird.

WMDogma:
The Darkness II Review

Read Full Article

I will still get it! As a fan of the comic, I must! :P

The only problem I had with the first one is that Jackie is more of a good guy than he is in the comics! Hes meant to be a cold blooded killer, given a power that he doesn't want, that gives him unimaginable powers, and then he fights angels, mobs and what were his protecters! There's a great story where he creates a living sex doll out of the darkness, so that he can have sex again (the Darkness means that if he pregnates a human he instantly dies, and the darkness passes to the next child) but he accidentally pregnates his own creation (not human). The rest is just awesome, and you will have to check it out! :P (Its The Darkness Accursed Vol 1)

I don't know if the first game had this sort of semi-cel shaded look to it, but I like this style for the second game, kinda reminds me of XIII.

6 hours for the single-player campaing almost makes me wish I had a console to rent the game, or maybe I'll just wait for the price to drop a bit and wait for a Steam sale, otherwise, I think I'll be hunting for a Let's Play instead.

What a nerd game...

when it goes to down to $10 I might get it.

I really liked the first game. Mainly for the story and the characters, and the twisted version of hell/the darkness' realm.

Looks like they've cut out most of that stuff in favour of making a short game and hoping for a profit.

If there were any shops which rented games anymore, I might rent it. But I'm not going to endorse yet another short story with a cliffhanger ending. Especially not when the first tale of love and revenge ended so well

DVS BSTrD:

XD Oh thank you! That made me burst out laughing.

OT: The game looks pretty good, it's a pity about the short length but with any luck they will do a awesome DLC pack. Although I do doubt that sadly.

I got this through the post yesterday, (thanks for the early delivery GAME) and finished it in about 5 hours. It was fun while it lasted but really needed at least 3 more hours of campaign. Luckily I didn't pay full price for it...

DVS BSTrD:

That was brilliant, made me laugh out loud.

Six hours and cel-shading. Damnit. I've been waiting for this sequel since I played the first game back in 2008. Might grab it when the price goes below 10, though it seems unlikely. :(

It has some pretty good replay value, so I think it was worth it. Fantistic fun to play.
But yeah, I got it today and I've already finished it.

animehermit:
For PC guys:

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Locked FOV at 70 makes it extremely uncomfortable to play on the PC, either wait for them to patch it into the game or just don't buy.

A patch is incoming for that particular issue.

EvilestDeath:

Ah, that must've slipped past me during the final edit. I'll have that fixed in a jiffy, thanks for catching that!

6 Hours and $60? Do they really expect that to sell in February? Does anyone else feel like this could be listed as downloadable DLC for 15-30 and sell much much better?

Six hours? That's all? I believe I'll let The Wire's Clay Davis express the rest of my opinion for me:

Frostbite3789:
Why were people so pumped about this game? The first one was kind of awful, and that seemed to be the general agreement as far as I could tell.

So why was I seeing so much hype for a sequel 3-4 years after the fact?

First ones sales numbers tanked, but the game was adored by critics. Hardcore fanbase.

OT: 6 hours for any game is FAR too short. With Twisted Metal, Blazblue Extend, and MLB 12: The Show coming out, this isn't gonna be in my system any time soon.

WMDogma:

EvilestDeath:

Ah, that must've slipped past me during the final edit. I'll have that fixed in a jiffy, thanks for catching that!

Anytime, just be sure to deduct that out of your editors pay...if the video even has a second edit or review by someone else before release.

This game doesn't really need to be any longer.

In the six hours it will give you more entertainment, atmosphere, gunplay, drama, and mindscrew than almost any other game you may have played in the recent year. It's just that good.

And I still keep thinking that comic book version of The Darkness is stupid and silly, so that says something when I praise the game so much for it's narrative.

6 hours is kind of disappointing, considering I often wished the first game was a little longer, too. I've been craving the sequel for ages, so I think I'll end up waiting for the price to drop some before I get it (seeing as I need to save up money for a new console anyway, that shouldn't be a problem).

ScorpioT:
And I still keep thinking that comic book version of The Darkness is stupid and silly, so that says something when I praise the game so much for it's narrative.

It may be because I played the game first, but I agree with this. Some time after I beat The Darkness, I went out and bought the Collector's Edition. It was somewhat entertaining, but yeah, I definitely preferred the game first. It probably didn't help that that edition had the first six volumes, then skipped all the way to 40. Ah well.

animehermit:
For PC guys:

Played the demo and it didn't bother me at all. I was actually impressed by how smooth everything went and how well the shooting mechanics worked.

I guess it gives weaker people headaches.

6hours is a tad short but I enjoyed the first one. I wonder if they hid secret messeges in the graffiti like they did whit the first one

WMDogma:
The Darkness II Review

Read Full Article

Everything about it brought a smile to grow more and more on me- I am a big fan of the first game, so everything improving and being funner made me get extremely excited. Especially with the finishing moves, so brutal but well put along with their 'leveling' system (well it's not a leveling system but you do purchase upgrades like a leveling system). Everything got me wanting this game more...

Until I heard that the game is only 6 hours long. My heart sunk..

I mean, what can I do in 6 hours? I don't even think I can get all the upgrades or achievements under such short time, even least enjoy the game until I grow bored of the skills. Heck, on it's hardest mode I doubt that would even make the game last any longer... that's disappointing. Now I am unsure if I want the game. May be unreasonable of me, but really... no game around $60 should be just a few hours long like that, despite the fact it has multiplayer or anything like that. *sigh*

sounds like I'll be doing the same thing I did with the first game: renting it and beating it over a weekend.

I was actually surprised at how engaged I became with the first Darkness. I understand why it isn't regarded highly by some people, and I might have felt differently if I had paid the money to buy it, but it was the perfect rental.

I found light to be my biggest enemy. Most of the upgrades available have something to do with your darkness powers, which are almost all disabled when you're exposed to light. Most of the time, however, I can see just well enough to fire accurately at foes, so if they shine a bunch of lights at me, I can still fire a shower of bullets from my SMGs or from my carbine if they're not close enough. Light almost never kills or incapacitates you directly, but mostly just limits your combat capabilities to whatever guns you have.

His girlfriend died in the last game! 0.0 That's a pretty massive spoiler to drop in just like that. I mean, I wouldn't mind or anything, but it didn't really seem curcial to the review to throw that out there. Just: "he's trying to lead a simple life now" would have sufficed. :(

They want me to plonk down $60 for a 6 hour game? *sigh*

As a semi-fan of the first game, I was kind of disappointed to see the transformation from a game based around sulking in the shadows and semi-stealthy action to run and gun with car door shields. It isn't *bad*, just not what I was expecting. Then again, I wasn't aware of the dev change either, so that's that.

(On a side note, is anyone else having issues with all the review videos not loading correctly? I can run every other video flawlessly, but it seems like the review vids alone never load all the way through)

You know, after playing games like Gears of War and Mortal Kombat, I think it's safe to say I've gotten over the gratuitous amounts of gory executions, especially with just how easy they are to pull off. Kills like that are more satisfying when you perform them more rarely or on a target that you especially don't like. It's the same thing that threw me off of Assassin's Creed (until the multiplayer came out). It's fun to give somebody a shank hug every now and again, but it loses it's charm after you've done it on every other guard in Rome.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here