Ubisoft vs. Ubisoft's Customers

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ubisoft's DRM only works against an outdated mode of piracy.

Read Full Article

If someone like me who has far more money than time (so is not averse to spending $50-60 for a good new game occasionally) considers pirating your game to be the superior customer experience, your model is completely broken.

Also yes, WTF, a week for server switchover? How incompetent are you? I'm guessing they don't have any backup servers either then.

You would think by now that even the executives and investors at Ubisoft who never play games would have caught wind of the bad PR they're getting.

Is there any way to, like, send them an email or something explaining the situation? If we can present the case to them that their DRM doesn't stop piracy, wastes their money, generates bad PR, and lately has been causing people to actively avoid games with the Ubisoft brand on them, doesn't good business sense dictate that they stop fucking doing that shit?

Shamus, have you tried explaining this stuff to them?

*sigh* Ubithoff...

You know, sometimes when I'm feeling a little tinfoil-hatty, I can't help but think that this DRM isn't about piracy, or used sales, or anything like that. It's about control. Controlling the customer. Or if not that, than their products. To what end? I don't know. But considering how many companies seem to LOVE forcing in DRM programs to monitor your computer to make sure you're not doing something they don't like, it doesn't sound too far fetched.

Or, perhaps they're just incompetent.

Neither option is particularly appealing...

Time to start funding a coup in Ubisoft too then?

Seriously current Ubisoft leadership has all the hallmarks of EA leadership 10 years ago, but with the added kneejerk reaction to the P word. And now faced with the current evolving market thats even making Nintendo change how it does things, Ubisoft has somehow gone backwards, not forwards.

Ils sont Quebecois! What else do you expect?

Some months ago, I put a bet that Ubisoft would collapse within the year. Nothing I've heard since has made me change this position.

Let's face it, if they can put Enzio up on their windows with Post-It Notes, and that's the best news that has come out of the studio for a year, then we know
a) There's some smart people there,
b) They're not being allowed to be smart,
c) Something has to break soon.

It sounds like a bad case of the accountants. A drive for "solid blue sky thinking out of the box" and not "Let's give the customer a good game".

Because they will pay for good games: Just ask Tim Schafer.

watching the executives handle ubisoft and legitimate paying customers is like watching monkeys use tools for the very first time

Tying the DRM to the CPU itself is more reasonable than the GPU. People swap GPUs a lot more often than they do CPUs. CPUs also have serial numbers, so yeah...

Then again Ubisoft's a bunch of idiots who hate their customers, so of course they're not going to consider what's right for the customer.

gigastar:
Time to start funding a coup in Ubisoft too then?

Seriously current Ubisoft leadership has all the hallmarks of EA leadership 10 years ago, but with the added kneejerk reaction to the P word. And now faced with the current evolving market thats even making Nintendo change how it does things, Ubisoft has somehow gone backwards, not forwards.

I assume it won't be too long before we hear news that several Ubisoft Execs have been tarred and feathered a large mob of angry gamers.

I think having a drm policy that actively punishes existing customers, scares off future potential customers all the while failing to prevent the problems the DRM was introduced in the first place is completely lacking to common sense or any business acumen.

I'm getting pretty tired of Ubisoft at this point, at this point it will take years for Ubisoft to recover it's reputation in my eyes.

It seems that they never really tested their DRM in real world situations and just put it in without thought. This form of incompetence seems to seep into things like their server change and customer service. Sad to see this as they have great games that are ruined by their terrible handling of anti-piracy measures.

McMullen:
You would think by now that even the executives and investors at Ubisoft who never play games would have caught wind of the bad PR they're getting.

Is there any way to, like, send them an email or something explaining the situation? If we can present the case to them that their DRM doesn't stop piracy, wastes their money, generates bad PR, and lately has been causing people to actively avoid games with the Ubisoft brand on them, doesn't good business sense dictate that they stop fucking doing that shit?

Shamus, have you tried explaining this stuff to them?

I'm with this guy. My level of frustration is...frustratingly high. Not because I'm missing games I'd like to play...but because it simply shouldnt be possible to be this stupid, this long. They are not new to the business...how the hell can they be so extremely ignorant of it? How is this stuff possible?

I find it extremely frustrating that this just goes on. How can anyone, even a big, recordbreakingly slow organization such as UBI, not learn anything in all this time? WHY?!?!?! HOW!?!??!? ._.

off topic: Yay for Tim Schafer. See Ubi? Thats something called good will. You should look it up sometime.

Shamus Young:

Read Full Article

Your missing something.

This IS how piracy works before the game is released, sharing discs. What's more embarrassing? Having your creation stolen by the masses a week after it was released, cracked by... Err, a "Certain group", or a week before it was released when Carl's sister's buddy uploaded it for said group?

Still though, I agree... Ubisoft is a little more than draconian.

"It's a bit like the kid's game Guess Who."

... kid's game?

OT: I think its pure, paranoid defiance. Its kind of like this: if everyone in the world but you was blind, and the weather outside was absolutely perfect, would you go out naked? No one can see you and there's no chance of getting cold (and let's say no chance of sunburn, cuts on your feet, etc etc), but would you really be comfortable go out naked?

And that's what they view not having DRM as; going outside naked, even though it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference. They still feel "safer" putting it on their games, and they're hung up on the idea that they need it.

A similar issue is with the price point of games (in particular, when it comes to digital distribution). Valve said recently that whenever they put something on sale, the increase in copies sold compensates for the reduced price-point; they've got data that proves it.

But will publishers pay the slightest bit of notice to that? No, that's why (in part, at least) we have digital copies that cost the same as retail copies on which they've also had to cut in the various people shipping the game, and those creating the discs, manuals and boxes.

And that's why I don't buy Ubisoft games on the PC. Great article as always Shamus.

Wierd how anti-piracy techniques, make me want to pirtae any ubisoft game that comes out.
Hmmmmmmm......im going to think about the irony with that

Good old Ubishit. Well put, Shamus. Incompetence is what they constantly demonstrate. They just need to get out of PC gaming, as I have said in the past. Then they can stop worrying about all of us PC gamers who are all pirates and never buy a game (despite my steam library having 261 games(last game purchases was Darkness2)). I now the arguments, they have some good PC only exclusives, but the only way to get a good copy of those games is to pirate it. Or, you can do the old standby of buying the game and then pirating a good working copy. But, they only encourage piracy with their terrible services.

Shamus Young:
You can gradually upgrade this computer a part at a time over the course of a year. Hard drive, memory, CPU, motherboard, graphics card, operating system, and network card. At the end, you have a totally new computer, but at what point did it stop being the old computer?

In philosophy circles, this paradox is known as the Ship of Theseus.

It's almost hilarious, as if a modern day movie company started complaining about VHS recorders.

I still can't fathom what they think their DRM is actually doing for their games. I ask myself that every day. If I look up torrents, I could probably find all of their current PC games free for downloading. I then think about the people currently playing legit copies of the game, what exactly is the DRM preventing once the game has been cracked? What is it stopping the legit customers from doing? Disc sharing? Is that still a thing worth spending millions to combat while throwing your legitimate customers under a bus?

I wanted to buy Anno 2070, but once I heard about the 3 install limit.. no way in hell. How can any knowing customer submit to that? Would Ubisoft employees themselves even subject themselves to it? How many times do they need to destroy their own PC market until they understand?

The_root_of_all_evil:
Some months ago, I put a bet that Ubisoft would collapse within the year. Nothing I've heard since has made me change this position.

Let's face it, if they can put Enzio up on their windows with Post-It Notes, and that's the best news that has come out of the studio for a year, then we know
a) There's some smart people there,
b) They're not being allowed to be smart,
c) Something has to break soon.

It sounds like a bad case of the accountants. A drive for "solid blue sky thinking out of the box" and not "Let's give the customer a good game".

Because they will pay for good games: Just ask Tim Schafer.

Root... it's like your my brain, but able to express an opinion without taking an hour.

I am beyond making reasoned arguments about ubisoft. I've made pages and pages of detailed analysis of how they have gone wrong and how counterproductive this is. Im tired ubisoft, im so tired of your bullshit it makes me physiically ache when i think about it. Its like watching a man punch himself in the face over and over again whilst blaming your for it. It just gets old.

So well done. You offically don't exist in reality anymore. Its like trying to reason with someone who thinks they are a spoon.

BeerTent:

Shamus Young:

Read Full Article

Your missing something.

This IS how piracy works before the game is released, sharing discs. What's more embarrassing? Having your creation stolen by the masses a week after it was released, cracked by... Err, a "Certain group", or a week before it was released when Carl's sister's buddy uploaded it for said group?

It would be a good point if it had anything to do with the discussion at hand. How is your point applicable to the discussion about the DRM in the final product? The games getting shared before release is a failure on the part if the game maker to control their product before release. It has nothing to do with DRM or the point the poster was making, that the DRM in the final product is only effective against a type of piracy that is very rare in products that have launched. This should have been obvious.

O/P: Perfect analysis of the situation, which will unfortunately fall on deaf ears. Ubisoft will see their products being pirated more and think the only choice is even worse DRM, completely missing the point that their existing DRM is creating the environment where piracy of their products are increasing, it becomes circular. I don't kno,w maybe they want to get the piracy on PC for their games up to 90% so it fits in with what they already believe. Then they can chuck in the towel.

welcome Shamus. you connected the dots. enjoy the enlightened information that Ubisoft are a bunch of fucking french morons. this is what happens when console companies try to understand how PC works. ADOYYY? WHAT IS THIS KEYBOARD MA THINGY?

This is why I have not purchased any Ubisoft titles for the last two years. These people are either the stupidest people in the world or just evil. Either way they are not seeing a dime of my money unless they make a COMPLETE 180 on DRM.
One of the saddest gaming related events for me was seeing Anno 2070 published by Ubisoft. The game looks great, their previous games were wonderful, but I will not support Ubisoft's practices with one thin dime. I really, really hope Ubisoft goes out of business and someone with a clue buys their IP.

BeerTent:

Shamus Young:

Read Full Article

Your missing something.

rarely do PC games get cracked before release. that is almost entirely a console problem. i see nowadays EVERY console game gets cracked into torrents a week beore it comes out. ALL OF THEM.

BeerTent:

Your missing something.

This type of "piracy" is solved by requiring a cd in the drive. That's about all you need, and isn't very limiting at all, and doesn't annoy the customer too much

ph0b0s123:
O/P: Perfect analysis of the situation, which will unfortunately fall on deaf ears. Ubisoft will see their products being pirated more and think the only choice is even worse DRM, completely missing the point that their existing DRM is creating the environment where piracy of their products are increasing, it becomes circular. I don't kno,w maybe they want to get the piracy on PC for their games up to 90% so it fits in with what they already believe. Then they can chuck in the towel.

I would LOVE to see Ubisoft "throw in the towel" and stop publishing on PC. Really I would.

Yes well, this is exactly the kind of thing that has me all over the gaming industry, and Ubisoft has been one of the worst, most unrepentant culprits within the gaming industry, and to be honest what they have gotten away with has just made things worse as it's encouraged more and more companies to follow suit.

In Ubisoft's case I look at the horrible "always online DRM" that was started with "Assasin's Creed 2". Given that Ubisoft continued to make money, and has seen two sequels to that game series since then, has ultimatly shown that gamers will complain, but won't actually take their money elsewhere, and unless we do, nothing is accomplished. People are willing to complain about the DRM, activation limits, and other assorted things but won't actually go so far as to go without the newest "Assasin's Creed" game. The industry as a whole has doubtlessly noticed that.

As far as oblivious and incompetant goes, that's not really an issue with just Ubisoft. Right now I've got a serious gripe with EA (which hardly makes me unique) over their handling of "The Old Republic" and "Origin". What they did was send the wrong codes out to Gamestop so when I bought a Collector's Edition they gave me a code for a standard edition. I eventually got an appropriate code, but the EA/Origin system won't let you redeem more than one code for the same product. Tech support told me the only way to deal with this was to start a new account and put my code in there, and then later they would set up some way I could combine my accounts. I basically wound up with two accounts, one for ToR, and one having my other EA games. I more or less forgot about this until recently when I picked up "Kingdoms Of Amalur" and installed it, and found out it was installed under my ToR account, which is seperate from my other EA games, Bioware Social, etc... which of course raises some interesting questions if I decide to play ME3 despite my misgivings and want all the promotions I'm entitled to since my games are now scattered between two accounts... and yes, after months there is STILL no way to condense all my EA registrations into one account.

The point here is that the industry doesn't do the fixes to the infrastructure they promise, or own up to their mistakes, unless somehow forced into it... by say a popular website with a lot of community influance like just happened with Ubisoft, even if they never actually said they screwed up.

The bottom line here is that we need to see laws granting more protection and rights to customers by limiting what hoops a company can make someone jump through, and also clearly stating that if someone pays for something they own it, and have control of it, not the people who manufactured it... which includes the right to re-sell it. That would deep six a lot of this garbage right then and there.

i think ubisoft has reached the sort of mindset of a pet left alone in the house for a weekend with 4 bowls of food. they see the food in the bowl and eat it...then they see the next bowl, and this process continues until the pet is in a dangerous food coma and there will be no food later.

so i dont think of it as completely brain dead twitching causing ubi these problems, its uninformed instinct

this kind of thinking/instinct by ubi seems brilliant because they think you will be back in three hours to give them more food (buy their games) it doesnt cross their minds that you left and wont be back for three days (forever) and wont feed them

when they clean up their act i might go back and feed them but somebody else is gonna have to clean the poop

Therumancer:
Yes well, this is exactly the kind of thing that has me all over the gaming industry, and Ubisoft has been one of the worst, most unrepentant culprits within the gaming industry, and to be honest what they have gotten away with has just made things worse as it's encouraged more and more companies to follow suit.

In Ubisoft's case I look at the horrible "always online DRM" that was started with "Assasin's Creed 2". Given that Ubisoft continued to make money, and has seen two sequels to that game series since then, has ultimatly shown that gamers will complain, but won't actually take their money elsewhere, and unless we do, nothing is accomplished. People are willing to complain about the DRM, activation limits, and other assorted things but won't actually go so far as to go without the newest "Assasin's Creed" game. The industry as a whole has doubtlessly noticed that.

As far as oblivious and incompetant goes, that's not really an issue with just Ubisoft. Right now I've got a serious gripe with EA (which hardly makes me unique) over their handling of "The Old Republic" and "Origin". What they did was send the wrong codes out to Gamestop so when I bought a Collector's Edition they gave me a code for a standard edition. I eventually got an appropriate code, but the EA/Origin system won't let you redeem more than one code for the same product. Tech support told me the only way to deal with this was to start a new account and put my code in there, and then later they would set up some way I could combine my accounts. I basically wound up with two accounts, one for ToR, and one having my other EA games. I more or less forgot about this until recently when I picked up "Kingdoms Of Amalur" and installed it, and found out it was installed under my ToR account, which is seperate from my other EA games, Bioware Social, etc... which of course raises some interesting questions if I decide to play ME3 despite my misgivings and want all the promotions I'm entitled to since my games are now scattered between two accounts... and yes, after months there is STILL no way to condense all my EA registrations into one account.

The point here is that the industry doesn't do the fixes to the infrastructure they promise, or own up to their mistakes, unless somehow forced into it... by say a popular website with a lot of community influance like just happened with Ubisoft, even if they never actually said they screwed up.

The bottom line here is that we need to see laws granting more protection and rights to customers by limiting what hoops a company can make someone jump through, and also clearly stating that if someone pays for something they own it, and have control of it, not the people who manufactured it... which includes the right to re-sell it. That would deep six a lot of this garbage right then and there.

Your first point is one I've been harpin to friends lately. People keep throwin money at them so they take it as some sort of confirmation from the players that they're doin the right thing with their DRM. Until they stop makin money, they wont stop usin the DRM. I remember when the always on DRM was announced and how many people used this line "Well I guess I'm getting the 360 version. Ubisoft can suck it." Like buyin the 360 version was somehow a snub to Ubisoft.

As for the rest, that...sounds awful. You seriously couldn't activate two different product keys for the same game twice on the same account? Like...what the hell is the point of that?

Quick, everyone forward this article to the bosses at Ubisoft.

shintakie10:

Therumancer:

Your first point is one I've been harpin to friends lately. People keep throwin money at them so they take it as some sort of confirmation from the players that they're doin the right thing with their DRM. Until they stop makin money, they wont stop usin the DRM. I remember when the always on DRM was announced and how many people used this line "Well I guess I'm getting the 360 version. Ubisoft can suck it." Like buyin the 360 version was somehow a snub to Ubisoft.

As for the rest, that...sounds awful. You seriously couldn't activate two different product keys for the same game twice on the same account? Like...what the hell is the point of that?

I bet if you didn't buy their game, they'd attribute all the losses to piracy anyway, so no matter what, unless you get a mass letter writing campaign or something to tell them THIS IS WHY IM NOT BUYING YOUR GAME, it's pretty much a lose-lose situation.

This recent influx of Shamus makes be happy.

Ubisoft has to answer the ultimate question of the universe

Let's say you have an ax. The kind that you could use, in a pinch, to hack a man's head off. And let's say that very situation comes up and for some very solid reasons you behead a man. On the follow-through, though, the handle of the ax snaps in half in a spray of splinters. So the next day you take it to the ax store down the block and get a new handle, fabricating a story for the guy behind the counter and explaining away the reddish dark stains as barbecue sauce.

Now, that next spring you find in your garage a creature that looks like a cross-bred badger and anaconda. A badgerconda. And so you grab your trusty ax and chop off one of the beast's heads, but in the process the blade of the ax strikes the concrete floor and shatters.

This means another trip to McMillan & Sons Ax Mart. As soon as you get home with your newly-headed ax, though, you meet the reanimated body of the guy you beheaded last year. He's also got a new head attached and it's wearing that unique expression of "you're the man who killed me last Spring" resentment that one so rarely encounters in everyday life.

You brandish your ax. He takes a long look at the weapon with his squishy, rotting eyes and in a gargly voice he screams, "that's the same ax that slayed me!"

Is he right?

Btw if you haven't watched it see this video, the movie looks like its going to be awesomesauce http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0LmU4EwRM

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here