Escapist Podcast: 033: Tim Schafer & Doomsday Preperation

Pages 1 2 NEXT

033: Tim Schafer & Doomsday Preperation

This week, we discuss preparing for the apocolypse, the Tim Schafer Kickstarter campaign and what it means for game publishing.

Watch Video

I have to agree i can't tell you the last game that Tim actually worked on himself. I did put in on this i am looking forward to it, but at 1.3-1.4 mill im not sure what he is going to do with it.

Oh god... crazy people are crazy, polar reversals take like between 1,000 to 10,000 years. it doesn't happen in a day.

Games that created their genre:

TETRIS

Past boycotts: Left 4 Dead 2, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare 3, any Valve game that isn't Half Life 3, and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. There are probably more, but I forgot them or just happened to not know about them.

Past successful boycotts: ...

Anyway, the podcast got very echo-ey around the 40 minute mark. Greg and Justin sounded like Turians. It didn't hurt my enjoyment, though. This Kickstarter thing is fascinating. I hope it leads to some original kind of ideas and some change in how game development goes (from what I hear, the term "development hell" sounds like it could apply to much more than what we use it for).

Panorama:
snip

Oh my God, that avatar is amazing. Never change it.

Another great podcat.. though the audio was getting rather weird and echoey at various points.

I found the bit(s) on developers and publishers quite interesting. It's a subject that many games do seem to find confusing and seems to be the source of disagreements that may not have even existed had the participants been aware of what they are talking about.

Kudos for pointing out (again) that publishers are not evil taskmasters and that developers aren't their slaves who are solely interested in the art of game making. Everyone wants and needs to make a profit, even if it's just so they can find funding and support for their next title. Every publisher, even the beloved Valve, looks at profitability first as, want to believe it or not, that's kind of their job.

Also, nice commentary on boycotts. I always find it hilarious when high horses are called upon relating to various debates but then the complainers buy the game anyway. The only way to protest something is, yes, to actually not play the game. It's the only thing that a publisher/developer will understand. Sorry, but buying the used or pirating it in an attempt to "stick it to the man" doesn't count. All a publisher will see from that is that you wanted to play the game, perhaps enough to do something illegal to get it.

Susan is 100% correct.

I almost always comment on the podcasts, but last week was so...generic, kind of lifeless.
This one was better.

Yes it makes perfect sense to streamline a video games for a broader audience to sell more units, but I don't have to be happy with it.

Yes not buying the game sends a powerful message, but complaining sends a message too, and let's be honest, it's cathartic. And of course I mean mature complaining, I never take trolls into account for anything, trolls are everywhere, on every side, best to ignore them.

Either way, good podcast. Still lacked a Simpsons, Baldurs Gate. I suggest you mix Food, Simpsons and BG into one reference for the next one.

A good examples of games that did higher difficulty right are the first two Thief games. Instead of making the game harder(Since you can't actually make enemies any more stronger then they are), it actually gave you more stuff to do like restricting you from killing quards and requiring you to steal more stuff from each level.

Ramith:
Susan is 100% correct.

I almost always comment on the podcasts, but last week was so...generic, kind of lifeless.
This one was better.

Yes it makes perfect sense to streamline a video games for a broader audience to sell more units, but I don't have to be happy with it.

Yes not buying the game sends a powerful message, but complaining sends a message too, and let's be honest, it's cathartic. And of course I mean mature complaining, I never take trolls into account for anything, trolls are everywhere, on every side, best to ignore them.

Either way, good podcast. Still lacked a Simpsons, Baldurs Gate. I suggest you mix Food, Simpsons and BG into one reference for the next one.

If there's ever an episode of the Simpsons where Burt is playing Baldurs Gate while eating cake (Real cake not rice crispies) i'm sure they will.

You guys need to do a Podcast that is an hour and a half of just sound check.
The first 10 minutes was the best of the whole thing

Podlings! In the dark Crystal it was Podlings! ARRRRGGGG-! I spent like 5 minutes going "Podlings... no no its podlings... FUCKING PODLINGS!"

P.S. Skylanders is fucking extortion. Acivision are monitised to fuck.

Mikeyfell:
You guys need to do a Podcast that is an hour and a half of just sound check.
The first 10 minutes was the best of the whole thing

Be careful what you wish for...'cause we can totally make that happen.

Hoplon:
Oh god... crazy people are crazy, polar reversals take like between 1,000 to 10,000 years. it doesn't happen in a day.

What? You can't move continent-sized flows of iron overnight? CRAZY TALK!

My God, all that planning, all that time and money and... well, life wasted on such retardation. My defensive plan is useless against zombies or infrastructure collapse, but it's at least got a shot against mugging. And that's all the planning I think I need to do.

Formica Archonis:

Hoplon:

My God, all that planning, all that time and money and... well, life wasted on such retardation. My defensive plan is useless against zombies or infrastructure collapse, but it's at least got a shot against mugging. And that's all the planning I think I need to do.

Thing is, their plan serves any catastrophe. Natural disaster, invasion, economic collapse,whatever. And they seem quite happy. I don't find them to be crazy at all. Just different.

Susan Arendt:
Thing is, their plan serves any catastrophe. Natural disaster, invasion, economic collapse,whatever.

Unless they've got air supplies, then anything nuclear or biological means they're out of luck, be it natural or manmade, malice or stupidity or bad luck. Or they run up against something with tanks, or mortars, or planes.... Anyone can design a security system they can't break into and anyone can defend against a worst-case scenario they think of. There's a wide gulf between "damned secure" and "invulnerable", and I'll gladly give them "damned secure", but I have severe doubts about invulnerability.

Susan Arendt:
And they seem quite happy. I don't find them to be crazy at all. Just different.

If it's their hobby and they're not hurting anybody, then it's their hobby and I can't criticize that. But as much as I like my security and have my paranoid habits, I personally think that isolationist compound living crosses the belt-and-suspenders line and settles in cyanoacrylate-in-the-pants territory.

I hate to double post, but I think there's too much topic whiplash here and this needs its own.

While it doesn't quite fit the bill of what was discussed in the podcast (as this one is bankrolled by the BBC), here's a documentary about a game developer that doesn't put everything in a positive light.

(I sincerely hope I'm not the only one who can guess most of the games being played offscreen at 18:25 and 21:20 just off the audio.)

Thank you Susan, thank you for saying the game businesses are a BUSINESS. I hate it when people get mad a a company for trying to make money. Like, for example, getting mad at blizzard for the real money auction house. They aren't trying to cheat you with it, they want a sustainable cash flow. (look out WoW players it WILL come to WoW if it does any business at all).

I could hear echoes of your voices as you were speaking. Don't know if I'm the only one who had it, but it bothered me.

Susan Arendt:

Formica Archonis:

Hoplon:

Thing is, their plan serves any catastrophe. Natural disaster, invasion, economic collapse,whatever. And they seem quite happy. I don't find them to be crazy at all. Just different.

It's more worrying about something so esoteric as a polar reversal. Also I think the major problem with polar reversals is weakening of the magnetic field to the point that a strong solar flare could scour the face of the planet clean.

The games production is business thing, it does get overlooked way to often but the milking of things till everyone hates them seems precisely counter productive to that. We have seen it done a lot of times as well, with medal of honour for instance, because the publishers seem to ignore the fact that the people creating the product are as important as the product it's self. The pursuit of maximum profit pushes them in that direction all to often.

It has already happened to BioWare with Dragon Age 2, a game I like but one I also understand was forced out in 18 months to keep the earnings cycle up and the results from that where pretty obvious in the over reused environments, under developed story and mob AI.

There is a lot more waffling to be done on that subject but I hope I have gotten the point across.

It's really depressing that so many call for boycotts, and so few actually stick to their guns, I hate calling attention to that screenshot from Steam over the Modern Warfare 2 boycott, but it's a perfect example of how companies view these threats, because that's all they are, threats full of hot air.

On the other hand though, there are people out there who do stick to the guns, and as much as I felt like the one who didn't show up to the party when I hear fans frothing about the latest Assassin's Creed, or Anno 2070 (Though that last title seems to be really rubbing some people the wrong way thanks to the DRM) I said a while ago that I was fed up with Ubisoft, and as sad as it might sound, that personal little boycott of mine, which I know, doesn't hurt Ubisoft in any real way because I'm just one customer, and my little voice isn't going to change anything soon, has become a little badge of honour for me, it's my little bit of proof that when I say I'm doing something, I damn well follow through with it.

Huh.. the view is great from up on this horse...

I'll uhh... just go over there...

A game I played that did the difficulty well was Civilization V. You started out with just 3 units and a handful of buildings in a small place and ended with over 15 different units and over 20 buildings and a huge world map with lots of other civs.

P.S That one hour and a half of sound check seems a pretty good idea. Hope you make it happen.

P.P.S I had a little question: What do you think the next form of entertainment is going to be? I mean first there were books, then the cinema, now games; What next?

OniaPL:
I could hear echoes of your voices as you were speaking. Don't know if I'm the only one who had it, but it bothered me.

Nope, nothing. Sounds fine to the rest of us.

You're going crazy.

But seriously, yeah, it started to sound like they were recording it in a culvert pipe. I guess the mics weren't quite synched?

Formica Archonis:

Nope, nothing. Sounds fine to the rest of us.

You're going crazy.

But seriously, yeah, it started to sound like they were recording it in a culvert pipe. I guess the mics weren't quite synched?

What do you mean "going" crazy? I already am! D:

Hopefully they'll get it fixed.

My reaction to this whole podcast is simply "screw you, Willow is awesome." Someone (Steve?) keeps hating on Willow. He needs to either back that up or cut it out.

What?? You guys didn't like Labyrinth and Legend! Oh my gosh, I don't know if I can keep listening!!! ;)

Great podcast, as ever. Really enjoyed the very valid point that the video game industry is, in fact, a business. They aren't in it for charity, let's face it.

As for Doomsday preparations... I have to say, some of them are just downright silly...

There's a pretty vast difference between being profit-seeking and being anti-consumer.

Yes, they are a business, there's lots of businesses and there's lots of business philosophies. They don't all to take the "Screw the consumer" mind set that places like EA do.

Also, while they are few and far between, there are a few of us who do maintain our integrity when it comes to voting with our wallet.

krellen:
My reaction to this whole podcast is simply "screw you, Willow is awesome." Someone (Steve?) keeps hating on Willow. He needs to either back that up or cut it out.

When did we even mention Willow?

Reminds me of battlezone, that was a fun game.

Hovertank combat with rts elements....on the moon!

Good stuff, never got around to playing the second one.

One thing I completely I agree on is that a podcast with no discussion on food is a podcast not worth having.

Can I make a request for the next podcast?

1. Make your time notes accurate. Don't tell me you start talking about Double Fine at 29:35 and then blather on with self indulgent crap for another five minutes before you actually say anything.

2. GET TO THE POINT. Get some notes or an agenda or something jesus. I just wanted one piece of news and you people cannot seem to focus for ten seconds.

Susan Arendt:
When did we even mention Willow?

During the sound check at the beginning, when talking about old fantasy movies. Steve (I think it was Steve) started rattling off titles in the background of bad movies, including Willow.

And I think a couple weeks back his disdain for it came up, too.

Limos:
Can I make a request for the next podcast?

1. Make your time notes accurate. Don't tell me you start talking about Double Fine at 29:35 and then blather on with self indulgent crap for another five minutes before you actually say anything.

2. GET TO THE POINT. Get some notes or an agenda or something jesus. I just wanted one piece of news and you people cannot seem to focus for ten seconds.

While I certainly appreciate your point about the time stamp (if not your phrasing), if you don't like rambling, you're probably never going to enjoy our podcast.

00:00 - Sound Check: Cookies, 80s fantasy movies and being a nice person
Labarynth, Legend, Willow, bad? RAGE!
<---General Kael is not pleased (then again, he's not pleased unless people are destroying beasts and finding babies)

18:30 - Doomsday preparation and our plans or lack there of
Wow, I've seen clips of people preparing for the Zombie apocalypse but I didn't know there were dedicated shows about them. Guess I shouldn't be suprised.

I just hope Discovery doesn't pick up the idea and then makes two more just like it. Seriously, Discovery has a weird compulsion with twos. They have/had two gold mining shows, two cold weather trucker shows (I think), two survivor-guy shows, two pawn shop shows (unless one is on History) and those are only the ones off the top of my head.

Side note: I'm glad I'm not the only one in this thread who knows what cyanoacrylate is.

Damnit. I was all ready to come and keyboard rage about the "going after profits is not a bad thing" section, but then you guys had to go and be all reasonable and cover all of the exceptions and more complex cases that I was going to talk about.

Heres an idea: If you want more comments, stop doing such a good job of covering the topics :P

Caffiene:
Damnit. I was all ready to come and keyboard rage about the "going after profits is not a bad thing" section, but then you guys had to go and be all reasonable and cover all of the exceptions and more complex cases that I was going to talk about.

Heres an idea: If you want more comments, stop doing such a good job of covering the topics :P

Busted.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or