Unskippable: Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Featuring all the LotR characters you love... mentioned in vague references, while you play as a bunch of nobodies.

Watch Video

Hooray for Russel! I'd join the Fellowship of the Eyeball.

Fantastic. Funniest one in a while. I loved the 'because they were creepy' bit.
In all fairness, the Black Riders are kinda creepy ... is that racist?

With all the piles of orcs that are going to accumulate over the course of this game, It's going to be murder on Russel's figure.

And Fronost is two days ride from Bree at most, you'd think the Rangers of all people would have have been forewarned of this development.

Jungy 365:
Fantastic. Funniest one in a while. I loved the 'because they were creepy' bit.
In all fairness, the Black Riders are kinda creepy ... is that racist?

Only if you can't tell them apart.

Good video. I chuckle at the bit at the end (I used to love Kinder Suprise).

As far as I've been able to tell, the horses aren't actually real. They're actually projections of the riders themselves, which is extra weird.

The book actually mentions that Nazgul got their horses from Rohan.

I don't recall the Rohan riders riding creepy doom horses:O

scw55:

Those might have been a limited edition.

Actually, pretty sure the books explain somewhere (like it does every other little detail nobody cares about) where the Nazgul get their horses.

cue fan-attack soon. But I will say as much that the book says where they get the horses:

Dudes of Sauron steal Rohan“s horses and make em“ evil.

scw55:

Basicly they breed them especially for Mordor. Think of it like the US selling shit for Nazi Germany. Once they go to war they stop that shit fast but until then, why not, there is a profit to be made.

Don Reba:

scw55:

They might have been a limited edition.

Now presenting the Mordor Warhorse Limited Edition, complete with a new armor kit, custom red eyes, and stylish black leather saddle.

Only by Mordor. Ride on, terror. Ride on Mordor

Russell's a pretty convincing pitchman.

vxicepickxv:
As far as I've been able to tell, the horses aren't actually real. They're actually projections of the riders themselves, which is extra weird.

I'm pretty sure they mention in the books that they are real horses. But the horses must be trained to get used to the riders, as animals will naturally fear them.

I don't remember what country it was, but they took/stole their best black horses regularly.

EDIT: It was Rohan. Later in the books they got the Fell beasts, the flying mounts. Since they were mentioned to be 'ancient creatures', I always, reading the books, imagined them to be Pterosaurs.

370999:

Basicly they breed them especially for Mordor. Think of it like the US selling shit for Nazi Germany. Once they go to war they stop that shit fast but until then, why not, there is a profit to be made.

I seem to recall it was mentioned that they 'stole their finest horses, but only ones that were black', but as I can't remember where it was mentioned in the books, maybe some traders sold them.

i am still laughing because i imagine Sauron with a little yellow plastic ring(fixed with duct tape because it didn't expand properly) on his finger wondering what went wrong.
thank you for that

Here are three unknown people. You should care about them, because you will be playing them. The end.

you do realize most people don't know what kinder eggs/surprise are? US food laws prevent toys from being place inside of food stuffs

Seriously though this cut scene was really dry -its like watching a depressing argument were everyone is arguing that they agree with each other

Huh... is anyone else reminded of slightly-less-terrible-than-average fanfiction in that it tends to write in events happening around an existing story?

Still, better than rewriting the core story to fit them in, just a little retconning of stuff in around the edges...

So a dwarf, an elf, and a human walk into a bar.....the human says ow, the elf dodges it, and the dwarf walks under it.

The one ring came from a kinder suprise?!

the fool's that bought the £100 replica!

*Stubs toe* Ahh from Mordor this rock comes!
*Raspy voice* In the mean time... do you have a losenge?
Ha! The ring is finally mine! Hey, wait a minute... this is from a Kinder Surprise!

Ahh, as if I ever need my faith in Unskippable reaffirming!

But this game looks seriously bad. I'm pretty glad I didn't buy it on launch like I did with Conquest, damn well dodged a bullet there.

I've never understood this annoying fixation on the whole Elf/Dwarf/Man trio thing. The whole point of the Elf/Dwarf pairing in the original trilogy was because the two races held such a grudge. Gimli and Legolas had to overcome an entire lifetime of prejudice and settle their differences for the sake of Middle Earth and the greater good.

Now every elf in Middle Earth is seen with their own Dwarf and no one bats an eyelid? I'm fine with the whole "make up a story that doesn't involve the Fellowship but is still loosley related" thing but ignoring important factors such as those just pisses me off. What the hell? Way to butcher the lore, guys. I know it's for the sake of gameplay ballance but, still...

Also, the fact that they couldn't even get hold of the original cast to voice the game is an instant deal breaker for me. I know all this run-around dodge the main trilogy stuff has something to do with the conditions of the LOTR lisence, what they can and can't use and all that... but seriously? I mean Gandalf wasn't too bad but Aragorn wasn't even trying. Poor show guys, poor show.

leviadragon99:
Huh... is anyone else reminded of slightly-less-terrible-than-average fanfiction in that it tends to write in events happening around an existing story?

Still, better than rewriting the core story to fit them in, just a little retconning of stuff in around the edges...

reminds me of that ps2 game that came out a few years ago about some dude trying to catch up Frodo and others. I can't remember the name of it but it was a RPG(turn base I think)

LadyRhian:
Here are three unknown people. You should care about them, because you will be playing them. The end.

Yes, here are 3 previously unknown characters that nobody's heard of before and they are very important to the overall plot of TLotR because... uh... because we said so. *shifty eyes* Shut up.
I'm joking, just in case anyone doesn't get it

canadamus_prime:
Hooray for Russel! I'd join the Fellowship of the Eyeball.

The only thing that got a chuckle out of through this.
Otherwise their riffs were more just random ramblings. I wasn't sure if they were just trying to sound stupid to scoff the content or they were being stupid.

Proverbial Jon:
Also, the fact that they couldn't even get hold of the original cast to voice the game is an instant deal breaker for me. I know all this run-around dodge the main trilogy stuff has something to do with the conditions of the LOTR lisence, what they can and can't use and all that... but seriously? I mean Gandalf wasn't too bad but Aragorn wasn't even trying. Poor show guys, poor show.

That's kind of petty. If anything it helps set the game apart from the movies, since the game is more supposed to be inspired by the books, not the movies. I don't let the part where Tim Daly isn't voicing Superman stop me from seeing Superman/Shazam.
If there is one gripe I have with the game, is that at the time of this scene, Aragorn wouldn't be referring to Frodo as a hobbit, but as a halfling. But that's small potatoes. I've seen playthrough of this game and it looks pretty good to me.

I saw the three of them, and I balked. "This isn't torchlight, what are they doing here?" An elf mage. A human rogue (because he had a bow, so ergo etc). And a...dwarf? I mean, really, what else are the Dwarves of Middle-Earth going to be other than warriors? When was the last time you saw a Dwarf that could be stealthy, and go five minutes without trying to begrudgingly be friends with an elf?

And...where does this leave The Third Age in terms of terribly shoehorned-in non characters and their importance to the work as a whole? You played a whole company of unimportant invented characters (and I guess one actual medium character) more or less following the Fellowship the whole way, like following a car a mile behind at all times, turns and all. Are they still important, or are we just pretending at this point?

leviadragon99:

The fact they have an elf mage is kind of a giveaway, given its not exactly a setting known for having a lot of magic users.

The dwarf outright says "I'm a part of this now" as in "look at me, I'm in Lord of the Rings!", they're not even trying.

Blast this internet connection, from Mordor it comes! (Seriously though I think I'm going to use this as a curse from now on.)

From Mordor he comes!

stalking the Fellowship...hey wasn't there actually a LotR game where you do just that already? lolz

duchaked:
stalking the Fellowship...hey wasn't there actually a LotR game where you do just that already? lolz

Yeah, LOTR: The Third Age

...but hey, at least they get to fight the eye of Sauron, not Sauron, his GIANT FLAMING EYEBALL!
Screw you continuity, we're video game characters!

What do these guys do, fight Sauron's giant flaming nose?

So... The entire game follows the story of a bunch of people whose sole purpose is to act as a diversion from the LOTR trilogy's protagonists? That's... Outstandingly exciting.

With a silly bar name such as Prancing Pony, I expected a MLP: FiM reference. but oh well.

and horray for the return of Russel! ^^

Do you have a lozenge? Absolutely brilliant. Loved it guys and hey it's Russel!

Raise your hand if you had to look up what a Kinder Surprise was!

Liked this one, but I can't wait for The Darkness II. How many times has he died, and just how long will be the car-chase tunnel this time?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here