Joker's Song & Mind Of The Bat

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Joker's Song & Mind Of The Bat

Gavin responds to your comments and questions regarding "Joker's Song" and "Mind Of The Bat".

Read Full Article

I don't think you really have to worry about spoilers in these things, just make sure you emphasize "hey we are talking about this video here, go listen to it, then come read".

MiracleOfSound:
Do you do screamo? My friends band is looking for a new vocalist.

No. I don't do screamo. It's one of the few genres I really can't listen to. It's just so ... wimpy.

Bwhahahaha! Best answer ever, Gav xD

I personally loved Joker's Song better than Mind of the Bat but they were both great!

Wow, you really did the laugh? Kudos.

Personally I think Joker's Song and Mind of a Bat are perfect companion songs seeing as Mind of a Bat is kinda like his reasoning for what he does and that he's not crazy while Joker's Song is like the Joker telling Batman they are not so different. I suppose it's like a demented argument, but in song!

I have a question Gavin: How and why did you decide to be your own chorus?

Fiz_The_Toaster:

The laugh is ALWAYS what made the Joker.

My Batman songs really seem to bring out the Shepard references. Could it be that in Batman we have finally realized there is someone who may be even better than Shepard? (Cue nerd rage flame war in comments section.)

F*ck it, i'm going in !
C'mon... Batman does miracles without any high-tech guns. :)

I loved the Joker's Song so much I was singing it for an entire week after. I pissed so many people off.

17-32 seconds though, is personally one of my favorite parts, it really gives it that Gotham feel.

DVS BSTrD:

By not having any money to pay musicians, lol.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I suppose it's like a demented argument, but in song!

Exactly :)

DVS BSTrD:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

The laugh is ALWAYS what made the Joker.

Oh I know, if the laugh isn't there then it's a sham! I seriously thought it was Hamill and the audio was lifted somewhere, but I was impressed that Gav did it so convincingly.

I fucking looove Joker's Song.
And that's even after I was an idiot and tried to mimic you while..."singing" along :P
My throat still hates me for that.

I would absolutely LOVE for you to do your next encore on Nord Mead.
It's been playing preeeeetty much continuously over here XD

This might seem strange, but I think you did a too good job with the layers on this one. It feels like the vocals are deliberatelly sub-par because the Joker probably isn't much of a singer and I think it would fit better if the layers did the same.

Interesting. I can honestly say this is the first time I've been told I sang something "too well," haha. But I can see your point. Perhaps the harmonies could have been a tad more chaotic and not so "locked in."

I have to disagree with that first paragraph. I thought the Joker's voice was perfect. Not perfect as in smooth and silky, I mean if you'd wanted it could have been pitch perfect. But it was rough and grainy in a lot of the parts and I felt that was as if the Joker was singing it and not someone else singing about the Joker. So it was perfect for the song, which I'm guessing was the idea.

Either way I absolutely love Joker's Song! And Nord Mead too! I'm just sad that I have to wait another week to buy Nord Mead :(

Joker's Song was absolutely fantastic. However, don't put down Mind of the Bat Gav, I still love that one and listen to it regularly; it may not be a sweeping orchestral track, but it definitely creates this sense of mystery and night-time which is so inherent in Batman, and it struck me as Batman's mind actually becoming fractured, like all these villains are getting to him, and the sheer chaos and ludicrousness of the one night Arkham Asylum took place in is causing him to break down. So no, don't place one over the other, both of your Batman songs are great.
I actually do have a question about your bandcamp web page, and the album covers you have there; who does the artwork for you? I really like the Level 1 album cover, and Joker's Song artwork is really well done.

Joker's Song is by far my favorite so far, and I really like the articles detailing your thought process. Also wow, that was you laughing? You nailed it, I really thought it was a sound capture from some official media or something..

Great work on emulating Joker's voice and accent, the modulations were very good.

Regarding the Mind of the Bat: I didn't find it too long myself but I guess that's because I dig its vibe too much. I kind of liked that it was a bit bubbly and insanely cheery. I suppose if you wanted to go back to Asylum like you did with Skyrim, you could write another song about how dark the universe is to fit with the game better.

Joker's Song: I believe I said it before but at times it was sometimes hard to remember it was you signing. You nailed the voice and I loved the referencing to the demented connection Joker has with Batman.

I'd love to hear you talk about Nord Mead! The music video for that one was hilarious and fitted the song perfectly :)

JesterRaiin:

My Batman songs really seem to bring out the Shepard references. Could it be that in Batman we have finally realized there is someone who may be even better than Shepard? (Cue nerd rage flame war in comments section.)

F*ck it, i'm going in !

Never! a man who thinks he's a bat will never win!

OT both songs are amazing, each based on the same confusing and conflicting relationship, both told in a different way.

I actually really like the bounciness (Chrome thinks that's a word. I do not.) of Mind of the Bat. I think sometimes dark lyrics to a bouncy (That is a word.) tune is quite a good contrast.

Just me though. :)

Oh and what would I like to hear about next? Wheatley's Song. :)

Gavin, you called screamo wimpy....*high fives the hell out of you*

I enjoy that response so much more than i should xD

Also, i found it VERY interesting that you didnt like the -what i would call "fun"- tones of "the mind of the bat!" Astonished really because i thought it was intentional! :) i LOVED how fun it was during parts because it made me think of how fun and enjoyable the game was as well as batman himself. -for the audience that is. See to me that song didn't reflect only on the batman universe but on the game itself. So it all made sense in the end ^_^

OT: A few of my friends hate me a little now because i cant get your song out of my head in school haha.

I normally don't watch your segment but after hearing the opening to Joker's Song in the one of the escapist weekly podcasts I immediately downloaded it and watched the previous vids.

I love the dark circus melody; and the lyrics also perfectly match Ledger's Joker's (and a few of the comic incarnations) twisted dichotomy of existence with Batman.

Very well done sir. You've earned at least +1 Fans.

JesterRaiin:

F*ck it, i'm going in !

no, your right, he doesn't do it with high tech guns. he just does it with a bunch of other high tech goggly goop. Batman saves a city. Shepard saves a whole fucking universe from machines that are better in every way than us. Shepard wins.

My favorite line is " a hero with no praise or glory. just a cape and his cave and his ... MEOW!!!" I thought oh man i love the joker, wait a minute, i had just forgot it was Gavin singing. Gavin does the Joker really well.

Agreed, pure screamo is just too much inane noise. And usually very little rhythm.

IMO, Mind of the Bat was better. Though that may be in part due to the fact that I didn't realize it was supposed to be from the POV of Batman (I thought it was Riddler mocking him from behind the scenes- the "riddle me this/riddle me that" line is the reason).

Joker's Song isn't bad- lyrically clever and darker, as you point out- but it struck me as unpleasantly atonal (maybe that's part of the point, though). The rhythm of the vocals didn't always fit the rhythm of the music, and that contrast caused it to be not as fun to listen to.

JesterRaiin:

F*ck it, i'm going in !

Batman? better than Shepard?

Not much to say, just that your stuff is awesome and please make more of it :3

I ask for one simple request Gav, a hard rock song for the new Twisted Metal game. Something tells me you don't have a PS3 to actually play it in order to have a more intimate feel for the game as an experience but I can so see you knocking one out of the park with that if you did it.

JesterRaiin:

F*ck it, i'm going in !

putowtin:

batMAN for Christ's sake ! batMAN ! :)

The_Lost_King:
no, your right, he doesn't do it with high tech guns. he just does it with a bunch of other high tech goggly goop.
Batman saves a city. Shepard saves a whole fucking universe from machines that are better in every way than us. Shepard wins.

- Emperor Joker
- Final crisis
Batman Saves f*ckin' REALITY. At least twice. Your argument is invalid. ;)

purifico:

Le image is broken. No argument = instant defeat. :D

I just bought Level 1 from your bandcamp, and have to say your songs really suit the album format. Even as you switch genres and tones, it all flows so well. If you made a concept album about one particular game or franchise, it could quite possibly be the greatest thing ever.

Detective Prince:

Oh and what would I like to hear about next? Wheatley's Song. :)

I concur. Like that's any surprise.

Gotta say I loved both songs, I was convinced you had a second vocalist for Joker's song the first few times I listened to it.

Gavin, I've been a fan of your stuff since before you came to the site, and I have to say that I've loved almost every song you've done. While I agree Mind of the Bat went on a tad too long, Joker's Song was sheer bliss in musical form, and it's easily one of my favorite songs on my iPod today, game-related or otherwise.

Out of curiosity, do you have a favorite song that you've done, at least so far? I know my favorite is Joker's Song, but I'm always intrigued by what songs the artist enjoys most, since they can differ from the general consensus.

For myself I'd like to hear about the songs that didn't hit as well as "Commander Shephard". In the last few months it seems like every other song is a classic so I'd like to hear about how you managed to up your game so well.

One line in "Joker's Song" that I particularly liked was "Don't you ever tire of this game?", with how it could be read as both a question and a statement/command, like he's mocking Bats for continuing their dance, yet at the same time almost begging him not to stop it.

I think I'e said this before, but I'll say it again - I loved these songs, and am renowned among my friends for absolutely despising Batman! That's some achievement :)

And not sure if you've said something before, but I'd love to see an in-depth summary of 'Gordon Freeman Saved My Life'. That's still my favourite of your songs.

Wheatley's Song and Mortal Kombat Party for what I'd like to see you discuss. With possible side notes on the biggest musical middle finger you've ever delivered.

JesterRaiin:

JesterRaiin:

F*ck it, i'm going in !

putowtin:

batMAN for Christ's sake ! batMAN ! :)

The_Lost_King:
no, your right, he doesn't do it with high tech guns. he just does it with a bunch of other high tech goggly goop.
Batman saves a city. Shepard saves a whole fucking universe from machines that are better in every way than us. Shepard wins.

- Emperor Joker
- Final crisis
Batman Saves f*ckin' REALITY. At least twice. Your argument is invalid. ;)

purifico:

Le image is broken. No argument = instant defeat. :D

well if shepard policed Gotham none of those problems would have happened because Shepard knows that a bullet in the head solves most every problem. Batman's villains come back because the city is to stupid to realize thaat they need to be executed. Your argument is invalid :P.

The_Lost_King:
well if shepard policed Gotham none of those problems would have happened because Shepard knows that a bullet in the head solves most every problem. Batman's villains come back because the city is to stupid to realize thaat they need to be executed. Your argument is invalid :P.

There are hundreds of superheroes who aren't afraid to stain their hand with blood.
Yet their work is never over.

Also : Dragon ball Z rule. You kill one villain and he'll become replaced by _Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger_ one :)

My point still stands. :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or