How to Woo a Gamer Guy

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

How to Woo a Gamer Guy

The Escapist's love experts break down all the hot tips you'll need to catch the world's most sought after treasure.

Read Full Article

I was reading the first half and was thinking not this shit again, but gladly that was excatly what it was going for, the second half is also by the numbers realationship stuff, but at least it's more accurate then portraying all gamer guys as the same. I for one can't stand the idea of cosplaying and normally only wear small gameing trinkets if any at all, because well I'm not a gamer guy, I'm a guy who likes games plus lots of other things as well.

I knew when I emailed Susan that my 'tips' were far too serious and realistic. :P

I love couple's counsellors- they make a quick buck out of people's misery and suffering, and then spout platitudes for another quick buck out of hypochondriacs.

Nice article first half very funny. Second part good standard relationship advice.

I read the beginning of the first part, and became concerned about the list format. Then I read this:

Step 5: Never out your boo as a gamer to his non-gamer friends. He's ashamed and you should be, too.

And I began to weep for humanity.
And then I read this:

Step 8: Accept that you're in the minority. Games aren't made for you, they're made for your Gamer Babe. Boys are the only ones who buy games, anyway.

And realized the first part of the article as the joke it is.

Great article, and thanks for re-restoring my faith in humanity in the second part!

Tobin said that the far better alternative is to be honest about who you are and what your vulnerabilities are (trust us, tough guy, you've got them).

I see this everywhere, and it remains a load of nonsense. The amount of honesty and truthfullness that you can safely display to the opposite sex is directly related to how good looking you are. If you are extremely good looking, it doesn't really matter, so yes, go ahead and be honest, it's healthier in the long run. If, however, you are ugly, you most likely have self esteem issues and a load of insecurities. If you are honest about those, you are fucked. Doing your best to seem like you are cool and confident, as exhausting and deceptive as it is, is your only chance. In real life (and not in some relationship councellor's head), for some people, getting a girlfriend simply does not come naturally, it requires a lot of effort and often a lot of manipulation on their part. That is the cold hard truth, take it or leave it.

Those "elusive birds of paradise"? Oh, I *hope* that was a Magic: The Gathering reference.

Being a gamer dating a gamer is not as easy or fun as it sounds >.<;

I'm banning all things Blizzard due to SC2:WoL. He is already trying to get me to give up on that so we can play D3 if/when it comes out.
He just got into Skyrim and now I need to yank him off the keyboard with brute force.
"Want to SC?" "Sure! Your friends joining?" "Yeah, we are all online." "But I don't want to play with [name], he keeps stealing my expansions..."
It goes on...

I think I was better off with the non-gamer guys. I'd just mention I'm playing something, they'd roll their eyes and we'd move on.

Oh I wish I could find a guy who can cope with me playing, say, Skyrim for 300 hours. But really, that's kind of selfish on my part and kind of silly to expect someone to put up with my gaming obsession.

On the other hand, I can't imagine dating a guy who isn't a gamer...what the hell would we talk about, the weather? (Maybe there would be less talking...hmm ;p)

I laughed a lot at the first part xD

Woot! Satire! Actually, they could have done it more subtle, but now even brain dead people shouldn't start raging.

...But men ARE the gaming master race... for now.

I am single and what is this?

I very nearly didn't make it to the end of the first page. Wave a flag or something :D

Also subtle pseudonyms

EDIT: Wow, a lot of work has gone into those twitter accounts

xXxJessicaxXx:
Oh I wish I could find a guy who can cope with me playing, say, Skyrim for 300 hours. But really, that's kind of selfish on my part and kind of silly to expect someone to put up with my gaming obsession.

On the other hand, I can't imagine dating a guy who isn't a gamer...what the hell would we talk about, the weather? (Maybe there would be less talking...hmm ;p)

Hell, that'd be easy! Mainly cause I'd be spending just as much, or more, time playin some other game XD

Or trying to bribe my way into playing Skyrim, seeing as I don't have it, I'd have to find a way to get you off so I could play.

this was a really funny article but i felt bad when u mentioned spending money on think geek cuz thats what i gave my girl for valentines day...not my fault its awesome

Taylor Cocke, Andrew Groen:
How to Woo a Gamer Guy

The Escapist's love experts break down all the hot tips you'll need to catch the world's most sought after treasure.

Read Full Article

This article shouldn't be on this site.

It went from one version of outlandishly offensive to somehow becoming extremely worse.

I'm sure all your sarcastic insinuations about people who play games wont win you any fans.
Then when you turn around and get to the point of your article you, without irony, say that anyone who plays videogames needs professional relationship counseling in order maintain a relationship with someone who doesn't.

Seriously? What the fuck were you thinking when you wrote this?

If anything, the Escapist proves that gamers are just normal people like anyone else, and you still write this? It's sick.

xXxJessicaxXx:

I'd play Skyrim with you for 300 hours, bb.

:P

Mikeyfell:
If anything, the Escapist proves that gamers are just normal people like anyone else, and you still write this? It's sick.

Taylor's case can probably be explained away as a hit to the head during a police action in Oakland.

As for Andrew...

the problem isn't how do you get a gamer guy.
the problem is how does a gamer guy get a girl? how does he stop smashing dragon skulls in skyrim and actually dare to exit his house.

I don't know if I like the idea of this article. Giving sound advice to the typical asshole gamer about relationships might actually help them find a partner and that would be horrible thing for that poor girl. I mean, sure you're getting those douchebags to act like normal people for a second instead of the maquiavelian cretins they prefer to be, but that isn't going to change the fact that those people shouldn't be in any sort of relationship for the good of everybody involved.

I prefer it when they give totally bizarro advice that makes no fucking sense so at least the kind of people who might follow it will be clearly identifiable in crowds and therefore less dangerous.

Article with good intentions, but I think the pink elephant in the room is that many times we DONT WANT to be completely honest because we'd appear unattractive.. >_>

Getting a girlfriend isn't at all as easy as portrayed. For some people, 'just being yourself' is probably the worst thing you can do (I know that sounds wrong but...)

edit: although this somewhat brings up the concept of 'self'. It can get pretty deep

BrotherRool:
I very nearly didn't make it to the end of the first page. Wave a flag or something :D

Also subtle pseudonyms

EDIT: Wow, a lot of work has gone into those twitter accounts

Those are their actual names, dude.

Mikeyfell:

How to Woo a Gamer Guy

Read Full Article

It went from one version of outlandishly offensive to somehow becoming extremely worse.

I'm sure all your sarcastic insinuations about people who play games wont win you any fans.
Then when you turn around and get to the point of your article you, without irony, say that anyone who plays videogames needs professional relationship counseling in order maintain a relationship with someone who doesn't.

I think you may have missed that the first half of this article is meant as satire. And the second half at no point claimed that gamers need relationship counseling. You are simply reading things into the article that are not there.

antipunt:
Article with good intentions, but I think the pink elephant in the room is that many times we DONT WANT to be completely honest because we'd appear unattractive.. >_>

Getting a girlfriend isn't at all as easy as portrayed. For some people, 'just being yourself' is probably the worst thing you can do (I know that sounds wrong but...)

It can seem like that, but a relationship is completely worthless if you're not being honest. There is zero point to being with someone if they don't know who you are. If that's the case then they don't actually like you. They like the pretend version of you.

Andy Groen:

antipunt:

It can seem like that, but a relationship is completely worthless if you're not being honest. There is zero point to being with someone if they don't know who you are. If that's the case then they don't actually like you. They like the pretend version of you.

I see what you mean, and actually completely agree with you. The line of thinking in my previous post undoubtedly leads to the subpar, and debatably unhealthy.

Problem is, some people are just downright unattractive without smoke and mirrors, due to life circumstances and whatnot. You have a choice; you can try your best to craft an attractive image, or just give up, be yourself, and fail completely in all cases. Lesser evil

I think I'm just especially desperate today, it's SingleAwarenessDay, give me 24 hours >_>

Mikeyfell:

How to Woo a Gamer Guy

Read Full Article

At what point did they say gamers NEEDED a councillor to have a normal relationship? Lots of people look for advice and how-to lists about relationships, and their are quite a few out there for "gamers". They are simply pointing out the flaws in the stereotypical list (after presenting an example) using an expert as a source. Would you prefer them to have no source? and the advice is REALLY general advice too, not game specific.

+5 Points to Darkmantle

My girlfriend never had much experience with games when we first became a couple. I showed her some and she was interested enough to see what they were and often just watched me play. I've never really forced her to play anything, but through her watching me she started getting things for her old PS2 and found the gem that is Okami and she instantly loved it :) Both of us met through liking Yu-Gi-Oh so we both like games but in terms of video games, I let her choose what she wants to play.
I'm still the biggest gamer but I respect that she's not a huge one, likewise she respects that I'm a gaming/anime/mecha/sci-fi/general nerd and she doesn't want me to change at all :)

This article was pretty awesome, did laugh at the first part but was a good follow up with the advice in the second part. True its the same advice you hear in alot of relationship colums, but thats often the best advice to get and it works.

Here's how to woo me.

1) Be moderately to extremely atractive;
2) Come up to me and tell me you want me.

Wait, we're not talking about sex? What else would you want a woman for?

Hammeroj:
Here's how to woo me.

Gosh, you're hilarious.

Susan Arendt:

Hammeroj:
Here's how to woo me.

Gosh, you're hilarious.

No, just an attention whore who isn't above making terrible terrible jokes.

But thanks!

I have a re-write of that whole article:

How to woo a gamer guy = the same as you would woo any other guy.

SagatBelmont:
I am single and what is this?

Ah man this made my day :D, thank you.

Also I almost didn't finish the first page and was about to loose faith in man kind, but then I continued reading and well pretty good article in my opinion.

For me, it would work just to cosplay up... That is what my current girlfriend did to get my attention, she dressed up as Yuna from FF10. Although, it was only to get my attention, she never needed to "woo" me per say, I never knew she liked me that way until this and after that we became a couple.

But damn, maybe that makes me a stereotype. :(

I must say though, very good first article. I liked the read.

I came here to troll, but the second half killed it. You have made me sad, author person.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here