How to Woo a Gamer Guy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I thought this was real until step 4. Then I went, "This is a joke. It has to be a joke, right?" That kept nagging at me until I got way down to the end of the list, then I was sure. This was a fun read. Good way to start Valentine's Day. Thanks!

pirateninj4:
I have a re-write of that whole article:

How to woo a gamer guy = the same as you would woo any other guy.

Well, yes, that was kind of the point. :)

JaceArveduin:

xXxJessicaxXx:
Oh I wish I could find a guy who can cope with me playing, say, Skyrim for 300 hours. But really, that's kind of selfish on my part and kind of silly to expect someone to put up with my gaming obsession.

On the other hand, I can't imagine dating a guy who isn't a gamer...what the hell would we talk about, the weather? (Maybe there would be less talking...hmm ;p)

I laughed a lot at the first part xD

Hell, that'd be easy! Mainly cause I'd be spending just as much, or more, time playin some other game XD

Or trying to bribe my way into playing Skyrim, seeing as I don't have it, I'd have to find a way to get you off so I could play.

Pun intended?

OT: Just one more reason I hate the social sciences.

xXxJessicaxXx:
Oh I wish I could find a guy who can cope with me playing, say, Skyrim for 300 hours. But really, that's kind of selfish on my part and kind of silly to expect someone to put up with my gaming obsession.

On the other hand, I can't imagine dating a guy who isn't a gamer...what the hell would we talk about, the weather? (Maybe there would be less talking...hmm ;p)

well im guessing if you were dating you'd spend more time on being together doing stuff than gaming, amount of free time is limited for everyone i suppose

With the sad state of the common gamer today, all you'd have to do to woo a gamer guy is dress up like some girl from Final Fantasy..

I was going to suggest "Put out" but it seems it wasn't a question.

I thought all those guides were tounge in cheek and sarcastic anyway... it would take a fool to beleive them... Now, how do you unsubscribe from MMO's and GameCrush.com? And where did I put all those receipts for my 'I caress boobs as good as a controller' t-shirts...?

(Ironically I looked up one of those guides, after never reading one before, to see what they actually say... The first one I looked at reccomended hitting a gamer bar, such as the Mana Bar in Oz!! Go Yahtzee, you matchmaker, you...! :P)

For me a girl who games is a turn off. Gaming for me is an escape and one of the things to escape from (only sometimes for a little while of course)is a significant other. Anyway, usually when I have been in relationships I do a LOT less gaming.

How to Woo a Gamer Guy

Say "Yes". Bring Pizza.

Simples.

artanis_neravar:

JaceArveduin:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Hell, that'd be easy! Mainly cause I'd be spending just as much, or more, time playin some other game XD

Or trying to bribe my way into playing Skyrim, seeing as I don't have it, I'd have to find a way to get you off so I could play.

Pun intended?

OT: Just one more reason I hate the social sciences.

Original intention? Nope. But I'm just awesome at making unintentional puns, I blame my vocabulary, tis always getting me into tight spots.

Carnagath:
ka-snip

sad as it is, it is true for some people, still, better to be single than dishonest, right?
besides, you can rant about people's shallow behaviour to yourself to pass the time. :D
or am I alone in that?

OT: here's a golden tip: give the poor basterd a hug, people need more hugs nowadays.

Mygaffer:
For me a girl who games is a turn off. Gaming for me is an escape and one of the things to escape from (only sometimes for a little while of course)is a significant other. Anyway, usually when I have been in relationships I do a LOT less gaming.

YES! Like I don't really care if she does play video games I just don't want to hear about it. Games are my private world, beholden to me alone.

Well, it was fun until it took a serious turn on the second page like most of us seem to complain on.

But on the topic of how women are treated in video games (if there was any), as "Holy Grails" and whatnot, is probably because of your scarcity. If more women entered the scene, there wouldn't be a similar 'praise' effect shown, as no one appreciates what exists in abundance. But, as it stands, girls can be like bottles of water in the middle of the Sahara deserts; highly sought after for their aforementioned rare value, as opposed to here in Sweden where the purest and most delicious water in the world can be drained from the nearby tap, and guess what beverage is the most popular?
Alcohol. Expensive alcohol, in particular, as it can't be bought every single day.

Satire is fun:
Step 1: Cosplay
Can be hot or fun. Nothing wrong with surprises now and then.
Step 2: Dress down
Dress appropriately for the situation, and remember we're not that hard to impress.
Step 3: No keyboard?
I enjoy my iPod, 2iPads, Android phone, and I almost always use a XBOX controller for my PC games (just not RTS)
Step 4, Step 5: I don't Care
Step 6: Be supportive!
For no other reason than you should always try to support someone you care for.
Step 7: Spend too much money on ThinkGeek.
...I spend so much there on myself already... everyone likes a gift.
Step 8: Accept that you're in the minority.
While your not the target audience of many titles, accept nothing; this is an evolving world.
Step 9: Don't take games too seriously.
A lesson for everyone. It's media not the cure for cancer, calm the F*$% down.
Step 10: Never admit you like Pokemon
Why not, I can understand the appeal. To each their own.
Step 11: Don't try to say anything of substance about videogames.
Why not, unless your implying that games don't have the potential to enrich the culture as much as books and movies, and are only fit as mindless pastime.
Step 12: Similarly, don't challenge his opinions on ...
Challenging someones opinions and beliefs is always a hard thing to do, especially if that stance conflicts with your own and there can be no harmony (politics and religion can be big and messy subjects)
Step 13: If you're searching for a Gamer Guy to call your own, seek out one of the Nice Guys.
People should always seek out someone who they enjoy spending their time with. If your with an unappreciative ass-hat, or an entitled princess, find someone else. No sense in being unhappy when you could be happy with someone else.
Step 14: Never play Farmville or any other social games
planning your schedule around harvesting digital crops just seems unhealthy, and so does spending a months pay for the privilege of using different digital objects in a game.

communication, respect, honesty, and trust
Got your self some sort or three-dimensional triforce right there, a tetrahedraforce if you will.

Nice read, I'd prefer an article on how to get out of the house and actually talk to the opposite sex but I'll take what I get.

iLikeHippos:
Well, it was fun until it took a serious turn on the second page like most of us seem to complain on.

But on the topic of how women are treated in video games (if there was any), as "Holy Grails" and whatnot, is probably because of your scarcity. If more women entered the scene, there wouldn't be a similar 'praise' effect shown, as no one appreciates what exists in abundance. But, as it stands, girls can be like bottles of water in the middle of the Sahara deserts; highly sought after for their aforementioned rare value, as opposed to here in Sweden where the purest and most delicious water in the world can be drained from the nearby tap, and guess what beverage is the most popular?
Alcohol. Expensive alcohol, in particular, as it can't be bought every single day.

As the first part of the article mocks, it's not that there aren't female gamers. It's that men have decided a "gamer" is someone who likes exactly the games they like. There's zero reason that a woman who loves the Sims and WoW shouldn't be considered a gamer. And they exist by the tens of millions, good sir. In almost as great of quantities as men.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Actually why don't you find smone as obsessed as you are? that way you'll both be too busy playing Skyrim for 300 to care :D

To be fair, the letting them win thing is really more a strategy for getting people into gaming than to get them into you. Nobody likes losing a game if the don't know why they lost, having ushered a lot of people into board gaming it is very important to subtly throw that first game if you want to get them hooked.

Meh. You're just hooking them on the feeling of winning. Not the mechanics of the game.

xXxJessicaxXx:

I'd consider that person lucky. Around here, not only is women who even lift a controller more rarer then the holy grail itself, but even when they do, they date some of THE WORST men in existence. (for numerous reasons)

Ha, this is pretty accurate, I'm not joking.

I read the first part of the article, and was planning on going Hulk in this thread and ranting and maybe (just maybe) using swear(*gasp*)words, but then I read the rest, and it seemed good. It's all k.

xXxJessicaxXx:

The_root_of_all_evil:

How to Woo a Gamer Guy

Say "Yes". Bring Pizza.

Simples.

Or better yet:
1) Hang around the local GameStop, until you see an at least moderately attractive man in a Black Mesa T-shirt buy a copy of Twisted Metal

2) Challenge him to a co-op on said game

3) Beat his misogynistic ass like a mixed race stepchild figure of speech, I don't condone child abuse

4) ???

5) Hope he calls you the next day

6) Profit!

Seriously though You'd probably meet more gamers, and people in general, if you spent slightly less time on Skyrim in the first place girl! As long as you don't mind him playing +300 hours of Skyrim. And don't be jealous that he's spending more time with his in-game wife than he is with you. (Of course you're still free to make him sleep on the couch if he starts crying out her name during sex.)

I've dated a few gamer girls. Now I only date gamer guys. Why?

Well one crazy Pokémon player aside (She was an even more dedicated gamer than me) the vast majority are just a pain in the ass to even game with, I attribute that to being female. As one poster has previously mentioned they're always whining on about things in game like take left 4 dead for example, one ex used to throw a fit if I didn't coddle and look after her on it.

Little things like that made me slowly resent her, especially when the "You spend more time on your computer than you do with me" crap started. Guys? Guys aren't like that, aside from when we play seriously (games like Dota 2, which I'm terrible at) where lots of shouting and cursing are involved, there is no tension over games, we play games we both enjoy, or our own games (I like Star Trek, he doesn't, he tried it and didn't enjoy it) that we don't force upon each other.

Maybe I just have a terrible habit of picking up the crazy women, but in the past they have always tried to force gaming as a shared activity to "spend more time together" and in the long run, it isn't worth the effort.

Umm.. this one's easy. Girls, if you want to woo ANY guy, just wear a low cut top and brush his cock with your bum. Easiest thing in the world

SurfinTaxt:
Umm.. this one's easy. Girls, if you want to woo ANY guy, just wear a low cut top and brush his cock with your bum. Easiest thing in the world

this also i hate cosplay so number 1 is not an option

If he plays a lot of madden and COD (General douchy stereotype), then just take your top off. If he's into more story based games, probably make a comprehensive plot analysis of his current favorite. However, taking your top off might also help in that situation too. What I'm saying is that boobs have powerful hypnotic powers, and even the most hardened dude will falter at the sight of them. You women have no idea of the power you possess.

Edit: As serleena in MIB 2 said, "You could rule this planet with the right set of mammary(s)".

Susan Arendt:

BrotherRool:
I very nearly didn't make it to the end of the first page. Wave a flag or something :D

Also subtle pseudonyms

EDIT: Wow, a lot of work has gone into those twitter accounts

Those are their actual names, dude.

Oh my god thank you, it makes me inordinately happy that a guy with a name like Taylor Cocke can write an article about love, on the internet of all places.

You know, here's a better way to appeal to a gamer guy:

1. Meet object of affection and tell them "I'm horny!"

2. BAM! Instant relationship.

3. If step 1. was unsuccessful, at least you caught their attention. ^.^

Please just remove the condescending list at the start of the article. It's incredibly inappropriate, even if you're trying to be ironic or satirical.

Darkmantle:

Mikeyfell:

Taylor Cocke, Andrew Groen:
How to Woo a Gamer Guy

The Escapist's love experts break down all the hot tips you'll need to catch the world's most sought after treasure.

Read Full Article

This article shouldn't be on this site.

It went from one version of outlandishly offensive to somehow becoming extremely worse.

I'm sure all your sarcastic insinuations about people who play games wont win you any fans.
Then when you turn around and get to the point of your article you, without irony, say that anyone who plays videogames needs professional relationship counseling in order maintain a relationship with someone who doesn't.

Seriously? What the fuck were you thinking when you wrote this?

If anything, the Escapist proves that gamers are just normal people like anyone else, and you still write this? It's sick.

At what point did they say gamers NEEDED a councillor to have a normal relationship? Lots of people look for advice and how-to lists about relationships, and their are quite a few out there for "gamers". They are simply pointing out the flaws in the stereotypical list (after presenting an example) using an expert as a source. Would you prefer them to have no source? and the advice is REALLY general advice too, not game specific.

The entire article was insinuating that gamers can't have functional relationships. Did we read the same article. After presenting the fake list they approach the second half of the article like the readers were going to take the first half seriously. The tone is offensive and the fact that all the advice the professional gave was so basic made it even worse.
Like the fact that you play videogames means you don't already know that and are unable to figure it out on your own. And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have wasted a professional Councillor's time if this was supposed to be a joke.

A lot of people seem to have missed the point.

Anyway, back when I used to buy games in shops (we're talking about 3+ years ago now, they're so much cheaper online) I used to get chatted up by men in Game or Gamestation all the time. The trick seemed to be to pick up a shooter, RPG or RTS - especially an RTS, for some reason - and then, when they spoke to you about it, actually know what you were talking about.

Reading science fiction novels in public used to get me chatted up too, but that's just rude. You don't interrupt someone when they're reading!

It's sort of annoying when I go to respond and the post isn't there anymore.

Andy Groen:
And as for this guy who seems to think we're saying that gamer couples need counseling...just no. Not even close. Nothing in that article ever said anything even remotely close to that. The fact that you're the only person who managed to pull that message from a well-intentioned article is just...I don't even know. How did you managed to miss the sarcasm in the first section?

The article:
However, not content to just attempt to reverse the natural flow of sexism in gamer culture, we wanted to put together a short bit of advice that would be useful to gamers who are actually interested in having a healthy relationship with their partner. So we contacted a licensed couples' counselor to help give us a little insight into nurturing love between nerdy souls so that peace and love can reign supreme this Valentine's Day.

You're trying to say that the message in that paragraph is not remotely close to "gamers need professional relationship counseling in order maintain a relationship with someone who doesn't."

I didn't miss any sarcasm in the first section. If there was sarcasm in the second section I missed that. I read the second half of the article twice because I was convinced that anti-gamer would be posted on this site. But all the quotes from the licensed couples' counselor sort of diminished my hopes that this was just a poorly delivered joke.

All of the advice given in the article was extremely basic, like how you would explain boyfriend/girlfriend to a kid who just got his first kiss. Anyone who's been in 1 relationship could figure that out, and most people would get it with common sense. Saying that information would be "useful" to gamers who want a healthy relationship would imply that they don't already know it or couldn't figure it out.

If you honestly think this article was written with good intentions you are part of the problem contributing to the "forever alone loveless gamer" stereotype.

Bad satire- my favourite kind!

It's okay. I like to make it blatantly obvious too. Despite this website being populated almost exclusively by people of "above average" intelligence, it's impossible not to get flamed by those who completely missed the point because you didn't put "/SARCASM" at the end of the post.

Aaah, I was so ready to blow off some internet rage at the first part, then it was a satire, the article in general being a refreshing and interesting read.

Slightly wrong-footed me.

I'm now going to boot up Medieval 2 and wipe out the French.

The root of the problem of guys changing or misrepresenting themselves to appeal to women lies in the continued acceptance of socially constructed gender roles which have become outdated, and sometimes even harmful, in modern society. Being in a relationship is seen as a status symbol in our society and most men are under a lot of social pressure to find a partner. This is where we get insults like "he'll never get a girlfriend": The social construction of male self worth is still tied to the traditional role of "provider" and his utility to others. In a society where women can and do earn there own way, this concept (along with female hypergamy) no longer serves any useful purpose. The only way to end this kind of behavior is to enable men to self-actualize and feel worthwhile and complete in and of themselves. The forces working against this are the right-wing conservative "family values" message and the left-wing feminist narrative of eternal female victimhood, with its "(only) men can stop [insert terrible thing here]" (which exists in blatant disregard for actual facts primarily to line the pockets of a professional activist class who wish to maintain their positions among the social elite).

I would also like to complain about this particular entry:

Step 6: Be supportive! Constantly having to deal with a culture that's stacked against affluent males is stressful.

You're simply buying into stereotyping here. You imply by the satirical nature of the statement that a person born into a position of social privilege does not have real problems or a need for sympathy and support, or at least that their problems are less real than those of others. Specifically, the implication is that the problems of an "affluent male" are less real than those of a woman in a relationship with said man and that, as a result, he does not deserve her sympathy and support. He should, in other words, 'suck it up' and 'be a man'.

Let's examine that idea. First of all, if being a gamer is a sign of affluence (it certainly indicates an economic position significantly greater than poverty, but it does not necessarily equate to wealth), then the woman involved will most likely be equally "affluent", making that point meaningless. As for your second point, it is commonly excepted that being male in our society universally confers significant advantages over being female, but do the numbers agree with that assessment? I present to you (http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/the-feminist-fantasy-of-male-privilege/, look at the numbers and then check their sources. I may not agree with the overall message of the site, but solid research is still solid research.) that this is not so the case, at least to the degree it is generally accepted to be. Those statistics, of course, leave out the matter of social double standards, but I would submit that at least as many of these standards benefit women as benefit men (violence against women is a tragedy, violence against men is comedy or "deserved", etc.). This also neglects the fact that men possess no reproductive rights under United States law (this has lead, among other things, to cases where men have been required to pay disproportionate child support to their rapists) and are unable to obtain aid or protection against domestic abuse (all credible studies from the past two decades show women commit domestic abuse as much or more than men, but VAWA laws and 15%/85% quota imposed on all police districts mean that an abused man is more likely to be arrested than protected). Based on the evidence, I find it difficult to accept a claim that women are universally worse off.

You also neglect to mention that the man may be other things in addition to an "affluent male". What if he's part of racial minority and is discriminated against for this reason? What if he's physically disabled? What if he has a mental condition (high functioning autistics, for example, face serious discrimination hiring and promotion because of their inability to integrate with most social groups)? What if he suffered traumatic abuse and is still trying to get over the scars? Hell, what if he just works in a profession that requires him to work with children and has to face unfounded suspicion every day (in reality, women are more than twice as likely to abuse children as men, that goes for sexual abuse as well)? Does he still not deserve any support or sympathy then?

Maybe you should examine your assumptions more closely before you decide to trivialize the potential suffering of an entire demographic.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here