Escape to the Movies: This Means War

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Casual Shinji:

Axolotl:

Casual Shinji:
I guess Tom Hardy had to be in a shitty movie sooner or later now that his carreer in Hollywood is getting a boost thanks to the new Batman movie.

He'll always be Bronson to me though.

He was already in Star Trek Nemesis so it's not like he has a flawless past. Although it is odd that both leads in this film have played youger versions of the two most famous Star Trek captains in dissapointing, action focused films.

But overall Tom Hardy is pretty awesome, I can't wait to see him as Bane.

I've only ever seen Tom Hardy doing what he does best; Being an insane roid raging madman (Bronson, and as Bill Sykes in Oliver Twist). This is why he'll be perfect as Bane, given he's allowed the room to unleash the crazy.

I've never seen Star Trek: Nemesis, but I figure Hardy isn't the best at playing calm and composed characters.

Actually he's pretty good as a calm guy, look at Layer Cake and Inception (although he doesn't really get to do much in those) and in Nemesis he's one of the few good things in a very bland movie. The reason I'm looking forward to Bane is because he can sound very intelligent and together and Bronson shows that he can still do great as a raging psycho, he's perfect for the part (aside from the minor problem of being English instead of South American).

It's hard to take Bob's criticism of Pine seriously since it seems to stem from "ZOMG NEW STUFF IS NEW AND BAD" fanboy rage which is becoming an increasingly common and overt theme in his content. But I suppose that's balanced against his monocle-polishing film-snob side which forces him to give Oscar-bait like Tree of Life movie of the year recognition while still condemning "Oscar season". He's quite the maelstrom of extremes and contradictions.

Also, does anyone really give a shit about yet another attempt to reboot the ninja turtles? It's been done, what, 5 times between TV shows and straight-to-DVD movies?

Colour-Scientist:

Sovvolf:

The misogyny comes from two timing two lads cause she can't decide which to stick with... That's pretty low. I'm pretty sure if we reversed gender roles... That's not to say each character doesn't deserve it.

That's not misogynistic, I think you mean something else.
Besides, they have guys stringing along girls in films all of the time, I don't see why it would make her a villain.

Well its treating them as objects for her own desires. You know "who is the better looking, better in bed" and other such things based on the dialogue in the trailer. She is judging them and basically setting them up to compete for her. Her only saving grace is that she doesn't think they know about it or each other. Though its still her little game and their still her objects to play with. Don't know what else you'd call it other than misogynistic.

When guys do it, they often get called out on it too, cause it's generally an unpleasant thing to do. How can I root for a person like that.

What makes the other two bad is cause they know the game being played and instead of walking away, thinking its not worth their friendship over a woman that is playing and two timing the both of them. They play the game out of pure jealousy for one another. To them, she's not so much the one as she is a trophy.

As said, neither character can be rooted for. I haven't seen much of the villain, he might not be too bad a guy...

WHY YOU NO ARRIETTY!!!

Seriously Bob, why waste your time with 2 garbage movies like Ghost Rider 2 & This Means War.
Studio Ghibli finally gets another movie released in the US, and you give it a complete snub.

Sovvolf:

Colour-Scientist:

Sovvolf:

The misogyny comes from two timing two lads cause she can't decide which to stick with... That's pretty low. I'm pretty sure if we reversed gender roles... That's not to say each character doesn't deserve it.

That's not misogynistic, I think you mean something else.
Besides, they have guys stringing along girls in films all of the time, I don't see why it would make her a villain.

Well its treating them as objects for her own desires. You know "who is the better looking, better in bed" and other such things based on the dialogue in the trailer. She is judging them and basically setting them up to compete for her. Her only saving grace is that she doesn't think they know about it or each other. Though its still her little game and their still her objects to play with. Don't know what else you'd call it other than misogynistic.

When guys do it, they often get called out on it too, cause it's generally an unpleasant thing to do. How can I root for a person like that.

What makes the other two bad is cause they know the game being played and instead of walking away, thinking its not worth their friendship over a woman that is playing and two timing the both of them. They play the game out of pure jealousy for one another. To them, she's not so much the one as she is a trophy.

As said, neither character can be rooted for. I haven't seen much of the villain, he might not be too bad a guy...

Misogyny means a hatred of women. It can't apply to men, that word is misandrist.

Let me get this straight... A love triangle movie, thinly based on the Spy vs Spy comics, DOESN'T WORK!?

This is a complete surprise.

This is what I was hoping for...

And give it an ending like in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

370999:

Misogyny means a hatred of women. It can't apply to men, that word is misandrist.

Ha, thanks for clearing that up, using the wrong term here but the point still stands, she's a misandrist then. Either way, she's not a very nice person and not the victim in this movie by a long shot.

I am amazed at how sexist and juvenile so many of these comments are. I haven't seen the movie, but why is everyone calling Witherspoon's character a "two-timing slut"? The trailers have done nothing to imply that at all. She's doing what rational adults do, and going on dates with people to get to know them better. There's no implication of a committed relationship or cheating or anything from the trailers I've seen. She's simply going out with people she finds interesting to see if a relationship would work. That's how adults do it.

Sovvolf:

Don't know what else you'd call it other than misogynistic.

Misogyny is a hatred or dislike of, or prejudice against women.

bojac6:
I am amazed at how sexist and juvenile so many of these comments are. I haven't seen the movie, but why is everyone calling Witherspoon's character a "two-timing slut"? The trailers have done nothing to imply that at all. She's doing what rational adults do, and going on dates with people to get to know them better. There's no implication of a committed relationship or cheating or anything from the trailers I've seen. She's simply going out with people she finds interesting to see if a relationship would work. That's how adults do it.

Prehaps we have very different standards to me but for both a man or a woman it is fine to go out with two or three people for first date. If you are meeting up with someone for a second time you have pretty much shouldn't be going out with everyone else.

From the trailer the fact that they both had their picture on their laptop, she called up her friend to ask if it was ethical, she seemed to be going on multiple dates with them seems to eb pretty much that she is going on with these guys for a while.

This applies for both men and women.

When I saw the trailer, and the Spy vs. Spy tagline came up, I thought it was a live action "Spy vs. Spy" movie.

bojac6:

Cause she's clearly dating two men at the same time to see which one is better and which she'd like to commit to... Also, how is thinking that is wrong sexist? I'd think the same if it was a man doing it to a girl, girl doing it to a girl, ect.

Dating is when a relationship is beginning to form, least that's how it works here. This isn't just one date then moving on. They are actively dating and probably getting to the sex part. Though here she's doing it with two men at the same time, having two relationships... So yeah two timing.

Colour-Scientist:

Misogyny is a hatred or dislike of, or prejudice against women.

So, is that the one point your going to address. It's been pointed out that I'm using the wrong term (Misandry is the right one) however its pretty much the same thing just gender swapped.

misterprickly:
Let me get this straight... A love triangle movie, thinly based on the Spy vs Spy comics, DOESN'T WORK!?

Oh so that's the idea. I thought it was going to be something more interesting that morse code but it's just the authors signature.

370999:

bojac6:

Prehaps we have very different standards to me but for both a man or a woman it is fine to go out with two or three people for first date. If you are meeting up with someone for a second time you have pretty much shouldn't be going out with everyone else.

From the trailer the fact that they both had their picture on their laptop, she called up her friend to ask if it was ethical, she seemed to be going on multiple dates with them seems to eb pretty much that she is going on with these guys for a while.

Pretty much the standard here, there's a first date which is fair game... However when you start going on multiple dates, you've pretty much started a relationship. Maybe its not a committed relationship and you can walk out at any point and stop dating. Then you can date someone else. However when you start actively dating 2 people at the same time... That's two timing, you've got two relationships going on with two separate people.

I knew I wasn't going to be that interested but... that was pretty unequivocal there, Bobby! Wow... good to know I wasn't even slightly missing out on something.

Sovvolf:

370999:

bojac6:

Pretty much the standard here, there's a first date which is fair game... However when you start going on multiple dates, you've pretty much started a relationship. Maybe its not a committed relationship and you can walk out at any point and stop dating. Then you can date someone else. However when you start actively dating 2 people at the same time... That's two timing, you've got two relationships going on with two separate people.

I mean if she at least told the two guys it would be fine but she didn't. Heck if the whole film was that she couldn't choose so told the two guys and then they weren't able to behave as adults I wouldn't have any real problem to it. But she doesn't.

The boys actions then are wrong and if Bob is right the film is wrong for playing them as romantic but she doesn't sound like a great catch.

misterprickly:

Honestly, that's the same thing I thought of when I first heard about this movie. And from the sounds of it, this would have been a far better plot than the one bob just talked about. God it just sounds painful and I've seen all three Transformers movies of my own free will so I'm not exactly a snob about movies.

I wonder just how many people acually CARE about the TMNT franchise, or are willing to direct the new movie.

Also, I like how you pointed out the stoker-ish, "dude-bro", macho feel of this whole movie, because it's pretty much what I was thinking when I first heard about it.

Redem:
At least it show us what happen when intelligence agency have too much power and money

So your saying they will continue to make bad movies until the intelligence agencies all have less power?

o_0 God help us in our coming decades of need......

Every time I see one of these "look at all the WACKY MISFORTUNES these characters go through!" movies (i.e. most Ben Stiller movies), I lose more faith in the improvement of humanity. How can America become a post-modern nation if one of our pastimes is laughing at people who are in serious physical or emotional pain, whether simulated or not?

Also, I expected Bob's little monologue about Ghost Rider 2 not being shown to critics because it's bad as soon as Bob said "If you're wondering wondering why I'm not reviewing..." To be honest, I'm stating this more because Bob has explained this situation already, and not to imply that I am some kind of genius.

When the first trailer for this movie started, it looked like a bad ass action movie with too actors that I liked, then half way the trailer turned into this crap and I was very pissed off at Hollywood.

Imp Emissary:

Redem:
At least it show us what happen when intelligence agency have too much power and money

So your saying they will continue to make bad movies until the intelligence agencies all have less power?

Well bob mention it a bit, but not only the behavior the movie trivalise is stalkerish but the leads essentially are corrupting goverment powers for their own pleasure and make it spy on its own citizens without any warrant or good reason, essentially making the CIA act like the Stasi.

NinjaDC:
WHY YOU NO ARRIETTY!!!

Seriously Bob, why waste your time with 2 garbage movies like Ghost Rider 2 & This Means War.
Studio Ghibli finally gets another movie released in the US, and you give it a complete snub.

I'm sure it's been said in another review but Bob has no interest in anime or manga infact in the game overthinker he openly despises manga at least once.

Redem:

Imp Emissary:

Redem:

Well bob mention it a bit, but not only the behavior the movie trivalise is stalkerish but the leads essentially are corrupting goverment powers for their own pleasure and make it spy on its own citizens without any warrant or good reason, essentially making the CIA act like the Stasi.

Kind of reminds me of when the FBI use to spy on the president and other officials, then blackmail them with the information.
Or when the CIA put LSD in the drinking water of unwary citizens. Hmmm, you'd think they could have just asked and some people would have willing tested the drug.

Sovvolf:

Cause she's clearly dating two men at the same time to see which one is better and which she'd like to commit to... Also, how is thinking that is wrong sexist? I'd think the same if it was a man doing it to a girl, girl doing it to a girl, ect.

Dating is when a relationship is beginning to form, least that's how it works here. This isn't just one date then moving on. They are actively dating and probably getting to the sex part. Though here she's doing it with two men at the same time, having two relationships... So yeah two timing.

Dating is what you do to see if you want a relationship, not the actual start of a relationship that comes later (up to a year or more in some cases).

NinjaDC:
WHY YOU NO ARRIETTY!!!

Why review another entry-level sameface bonanza, when it's going to get rave reviews regardless. Plus, I feel the point of this video was to start a flamewar about everything that's wrong with this movie.

Bob, why did you only say the men were the villains here? Didn't you say they were being used in the first place? Like someone else said, this is "John Tucker Must Die" with the roles reversed, and since it's men doing the creepy stalking, it's bad. But when women do it, GUUUUUURRRRRLLLL POWER!!!!! =_=

that's a real shame i thought this looked good :/

I thought Chris Pine was a Boss as Kirk, to be honest. Plenty of chemistry between him and the rest of the cast.

Chris Pine and Hayden Christensen should do a Star Wars / Star Trek crossover!

They're combined acting skills would do wonders

Kumagawa Misogi:

Sovvolf:

Dating is what you do to see if you want a relationship, not the actual start of a relationship that comes later (up to a year or more in some cases).

Guess it depends on the culture. Where I come from, actively dating pretty much = relationship. Maybe it's only around the beginning stages of a relationship but its still classed as one. Maybe its different in the states. Here, dating two people at a time is generally considered a poor thing to do. Pretty much considered two timing.

Maybe I'm just not getting it or I'm a juvenile sexist (The sexist part I'm still waiting for an explanation on) or whatever but I really don't see how dating two people at the same time is a nice thing to do.

Edit: On reading these two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating#Europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating#North_America I think I can see where I'm going wrong. Apparently this is the norm in American culture... In which case I'm probably in no place to judge. Here its a little different, thus my reasons for thinking that she is two timing.

So this me get this straight...

Two guys, as agents.. are using equipment suited for agents to secretly stalk a woman for each of them to date and see who's the 'better' guy? Thus the movie makes it so we try to feel bad about the guys losing their partnership over this game they made in taking advantage of a girl with their gadgets?

.. Creepy as heck.

These types of movies I hate. Nothing justifies them, not even the comedy can be used as an excuse. I'm obviously no white knight and I know women are very strong at will to handle themselves... but still- to go that far in trying to win a girl only to show off you can do it better then your friend and watch everything she does through secretive recordings or tapes... gosh what were the producers thinking?!

Only reason why Mr. and Mrs. Smith got the action/romance right is because both people were spies along with having a good plot with clever humor/puns attached here and there. This movie just seems to rub me off the wrong way. I'll not only pass seeing it, but I shall advise those around me about the movie being horrible and thus hope they don't see it. We don't need movies like these I am afraid. Instead, we need directors with more sense in filming. Sorry for the ranting along with some harsh tones, but.. I would feel such guilt and shame if I was the one directing this movie. I'd probably quit just thinking about it.. and get my act together by treating a lady out to dinner or something. Just something nice like that, no manipulating or anything like that.

EDIT: Also wouldn't the Government or their higher ups be very upset that they're misusing the equipment that's only meant to be used on missions? I mean, think about it.. if you're working and then suddenly you found out that your coworkers or 'lower ranked' employees were doing this sort of thing... that should lead me to get on them pronto or strip them of their rights with such equipment. Crap.

having not seen 'battle for LA' can't really gauge how 'bad' it is he might direct the next TMNT movie, but, just about any one would be better then Michel 'the no talent hack' Bay

Damn...Well, I look forward to next week when Bob (hopefully) gives a yay-or-nay on Ghost Rider. I'm one of the few who really liked the first one. As for This Means War, COMPLETELY under my radar and it doesn't look like one I'll be watching in general. I still need to catch up on Chronicle. As for TMNT...I hope it doesn't suck...but considering it'll likely be released before the series on Nick, it'll probably be left wide open to make way for the show (like Clone Wars)

Sovvolf:

Kumagawa Misogi:

Sovvolf:

Guess it depends on the culture. Where I come from, actively dating pretty much = relationship. Maybe it's only around the beginning stages of a relationship but its still classed as one. Maybe its different in the states. Here, dating two people at a time is generally considered a poor thing to do. Pretty much considered two timing.

Maybe I'm just not getting it or I'm a juvenile sexist (The sexist part I'm still waiting for an explanation on) or whatever but I really don't see how dating two people at the same time is a nice thing to do.

Edit: On reading these two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating#Europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating#North_America I think I can see where I'm going wrong. Apparently this is the norm in American culture... In which case I'm probably in no place to judge. Here its a little different, thus my reasons for thinking that she is two timing.

I'm in the same boat as Sovvolf, I'm Irish and it would make people uncomfortable but if that's the norm then fair fucks, it's just I don't like the idea of decieving people.

BabySinclair:
But I thought Twilight established that stalking is an endearing expression of love...

(please for the love of god understand sarcasm)

Alright baby god dino monster I will do what you say.

That just seems creepy from the set up Bob gave us. Its kinda like if a movie was made as a comedy and the set up was a serial killer that Sweeny Todd people's bodies.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here