Jimquisition: Ubisoft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

One kind of DRM i´m okay with is the Starcraft 2 DRM.
Sure you must always be online BUT in exchange for that you can always download your game from blizzards webpage (if you´ve bought it once you got it forever) you can install it on other computers and continue your game from where you left off.

That´s a good kind of DRM one that rewards legit costumers and doesn´t punish them in anyway.

I found that backpedalling right at the end utterly hilarious.

Gridlock:
One kind of DRM i´m okay with is the Starcraft 2 DRM.
Sure you must always be online BUT in exchange for that you can always download your game from blizzards webpage (if you´ve bought it once you got it forever) you can install it on other computers and continue your game from where you left off.

That´s a good kind of DRM one that rewards legit costumers and doesn´t punish them in anyway.

Except for the "must always be online" part. But as far as DRM goes, that sounds halfway decent.

I'll add my voice to the Ubisoft disent. I'm a fan of the PoP series, loved BG&E, and a lot of other games that they have published throughout the years. Yet, for now, they have lost in me at least four game sales due to my protest for the stupid DRM and business practices for the PC market:

PoP: Forgotten Sands
From Dust
AssCreed (and 2,Bro,Rev...everything else)
Rayman: Origins

Way to go Ubi. Keep it up.

I read something on this earlier today.

"The fact of the matter is that with the launch of the PS Vita; with titles such as Dungeon Hunter: Alliance and Asphalt: Injection seeing retail releases and price tags. Gameloft are saying that their mobile games have the same merit as full retail titles such as Uncharted: Golden Abyss.
They do not. Not because they aren't serviceable, not because you can see the bottom of a skydome in the background (you cant, all the parts are there). but because of the precedent that Gameloft has set; Mini-me's of your favorite games sold for pocket money. Harmless, until they start charging $40/£30 for them.

It's not illegal, its not even completely morally wrong. it's insulting."

source: http://clonotron.blogspot.com/

Thing is Ubisoft have lost 90% of their PC business since they started down this path, and instead of doing the sensible thing and looking at their business plan they scream pirate! and keep going. It's just baffling and I'm honestly surprised they haven't been hauled into court or properly smacked down by consumer agencies over the DRM issues.

ThreeKneeNick:
Too bad Ubi gets all the shit thrown at them and Blizzard gets to walk away clean because they thought about making up some sob anti-cheating story.

For all the Blizzard apologists and Diablo III fanboys that's true, but the DRM is just one of the many nails in the coffin for my enthusiasm for the latest Diablo installment. It also happens to be the nail that seems to be the largest one.

As much as I'd like to Jim, I can't worship you. George Carlin beat ya to it. I pray to him. And I can't see myself taking on two gods at once.

Yeah, worshipping Jim? Not going to happen, but I will thank my God that you're here regardless.

Selling a game for $40 when it's available for Mac at 1/40th the price? That's disgusting. I've composed/ripped off a song on the subject:

"I see you chargin' forty dollers for a $1 game, and I'm like Fuck You! And all that DRM makes your products real lame, so I'm like Fuck you, and a Fuck BGaE too!"

wooty:
Get rid of the "always online" shit altogether, Ubisoft, Origin.....STEEEEEAAAAAAAM!

But Steam doesn't force you to be online.
It's an online distribution platform, so you obviously need to be online to download the game.
But as soon as the games are activated on your computer, you're perfectly able to play them offline however much you wish.
Except online games, 'cuz you need to be online for those, 'cuz they're online games.

I feel dumb for asking , but whats the name of the game in the video right after assassins creed 2 ? 1.26 min

Denamic:

wooty:
Get rid of the "always online" shit altogether, Ubisoft, Origin.....STEEEEEAAAAAAAM!

It's an online distribution platform, so you obviously need to be online to download the game.
But as soon as the games are activated on your computer, you're perfectly able to play them offline however much you wish.
Except online games, 'cuz you need to be online for those, 'cuz they're online games.

Not for me, it keeps asking me to sign in for playing Rome or Shogun 2 Total War, Recettear ect, then it keeps asking for me to go online, whether it be a single player or not. Ive heard its a pretty common problem too.

wooty:

Denamic:

wooty:

Not for me, it keeps asking me to sign in for playing Rome or Shogun 2 Total War, Recettear ect, then it keeps asking for me to go online, whether it be a single player or not. Ive heard its a pretty common problem too.

That's odd.
When I had my 2 week internet outage, I never had any problem playing any game on my list.
In fact, I just installed Recettear and tried running it offline myself, and it works fine.

No! Bad Jim, megalomania is what got the corporations to the state they are in today!

Kind of like a black hole absorbs and grows

Ubisoft...
the first copany i started boycotting by not buying anything from the. now i haven't played ubisoft game for 3 years, and i dont feel like i lost anything.
The second one is EA. i dont boycoytt any other companies per say, some series only)

P.S. another one of those "describe brand" capchas.

DRM one of the dumbest innovations of gaming and this is one of the really rare occasions where you can't blame people for pirating.

Not to mention games that have been out for quite a while now like anno 2070 are still fetching top dollar even on Steam.

Jim just said something negative against AC2!?!.. No! I will NOT have this!

YES! Somebody who hates ACII just as much as me!

Nice to watch this video today :D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54305)