Survival Horror on a Cruise Ship

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Survival Horror on a Cruise Ship

Yahtzee takes us all on a wild cyper-punk influenced cruise.

Read Full Article

Actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe later in the game when you find out about the virus, itīll start messing with your ability to transfer/remove power to/from areas(because thatīs how viruses work in the future) making you even more exposed and vunerable? Or is that to much

Regardless, sounds like a game Iīd buy.

I'd buy that game. It sounds really cool. However, I'm not sure that Yahtzee will get around to making such a masterpiece. Sad day.

I would absolutely play this game. I'm not just blowing smoke up the ass of an internet celebrity here, I honestly think this is a solid idea. The forced third person perspective on the character creates a sense of vulnerability, but also power. You could look ahead to any room on the ship, sure. But while you are doing so any number of things could creep up on you while you aren't "looking". It's a great balance of risk and reward. Going to use the power grid to overload a circuit and fry a nasty in the next room? Great! But better do it fast because another one might just shank you while you aren't looking at the physical world. Yep. Let me know when it goes gold.

You should look into this whole Kickstarter phenomenon.

Collect moola, be creative director, hire goons to code your game, profit.

Actually RE:Rev takes place in the near past. Since they're trying to go for some dopey continuity, it takes place before RE5, in 2005. Of course, this being the RE universe with its cute little hand-held scanner tricorder thingies, it may as well be the near future in an alternate history or something.

Also, bringing up the inherent creepiness of abandoned cruise ships made me think of 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, a DS game which is not ostensibly horror, but admittedly does have a fair amount of suspense, some parts of which are attributed to the fact that you're on an abandoned cruise liner. It also has really good writing and is pretty much a visual novel, so take that as you will.

EDIT: Also, the whole "are you really seeing this through your cybernetics" is addressed in many cyberpunk settings. Ghost in the Shell comes to mind at the foremost.

The game seems awesome and I like the idea of that out of body fixed camera deal. Reminds me of that old PS2 game "Lifeline" (minus the whole voice command to do everything gimmick the game ran on.) The twist (though now ruined) is really really well thought out. especially if you can mesh in foreshadowing and those kind of odd thoughts into the apocalyptic logs you find lieing about from "the last survivors" on the ship. Seriously. someone who can make games get yahtzee on the phone and start working on production now. I'de give it my money.

Why isn't this an actual game? I'd buy it and play the hell out of it, and I really mean that. It's such a shame that horror games don't explore more into the whole aspect of perception anymore, but rather use a lot of the cheap scares.

You know, if I was a millionaire, I'd set up a studio who's sole purpose was to read Extra Punctuation and create the games Yahtzee describes there. I don't think I've ever read one of these ideas that I didn't want to play.

Will there be a PC release, Mr. Croshaw? *holds out mic*

Make it and take my money!!

Seriously though, it does sound pretty interesting and sounds alot better than most horror games these days.

Dammit, Yahtzee, you can't keep throwing out awesome ideas and then not use them! Quit cock-teasing us and just start an indie studio already!

I'd play it. Or at least download the demo to see if I could manage the controls first. As long as it doesn't do a Brutal legend and have the demo be entirely different gameplay from the majority of the game, e.g. just be of the first-person section.

It's kind of a shame you told us your idea, I would have loved to have played a game like that, in the right hands it could have really been something.

Interesting concept. I'd actually play that game, and I'm not really big on the survival horror genre. Also, the control-from-a-fixed-perspective mechanic wouldn't be an issue for me, as the keyboard controls from Escape From Monkey Island were identical.

Yes, I played Escape From Monkey Island. And I liked it. Because Curse of Monkey Island introduced me to the series.

What if, at the end, you realize you were the hacker who got the virus in? D:

If managed right (meaning, NOT like M. Night, Shamalasomething), it could be a pretty good game.

BloodWriter:
You should look into this whole Kickstarter phenomenon.

Collect moola, be creative director, hire goons to code your game, profit.

Where do i sign up?

This game sounds pretty damn awesome.

Morty815:
It's kind of a shame you told us your idea, I would have loved to have played a game like that, in the right hands it could have really been something.

This is just what he wants you to think. In reality, you were the one who brought the virus on board. It made you go off course. It filtered out all the people who greeted you on the cruise ship. And then it makes you inject itself into the computer.

There's a game I played recently called eXperience112 (called The Experiment in North America, New Zealand and Australia apparently), which is similar to Yahtzee's idea. You play an 'anonymous' bloke using the main computer on a stricken ocean liner to help out a surviving scientist, and you have to use the security cameras and other systems to guide her about. So you switch lights on/off, open/close doors, access files with passwords she finds, that kind of thing, and you can do cool 'Picture-in-Picture' stuff with the cameras too, to cover all the bases.

It sounded like a great concept, however it's totally ruined by her having the most AWFUL AI ever, being totally unable to follow your simple commands. You're reduced to guiding her around by flashing lights, and when enemies get involved it quickly becomes too much of a chore to make her do what you want, quickly. Also god forbid she misses a critical plot item, or you'll spend a good hour going around in circles before checking the same room again. Such a shame.

that sounds like an awesome concept. time to hit up kick starter.

You often have interesting game ideas, Mr. Croshaw. I don't always think they sound good, but they are always interesting.

Reading this just made me sad, very sad, because I'm not playing this game right now. I'm 100% serious, that sounds utterly brilliant. I would also love it if certain cameras were damaged so you (at least initially) were totally "blind" in a given area and had to just use sound and tactile feedback (vibration) to proceed.

Kickstarter.

KICKSTARTER!!

Someone make it as an XBLA/PSN game with PS2 era graphics for the creepiness factor a la Silent Hill 2.

I really like the idea of a blind, or otherwise crippled, character having to rely on external sources for basic sensory function.

I do not particularly like the idea of trying to control such a character. Awkward controls are nigh-unforgivable in a game. Like having a really great car with a broken steering shaft.

Zen Toombs:
I'd buy that game. It sounds really cool. However, I'm not sure that Yahtzee will get around to making such a masterpiece. Sad day.

Ditto.

That is actually the most in universe explanation for a third person camera like view. And calling back to that shit game thats called Amy, IT IS A MUCH BETTER IDEA! Infact, the whole virus detail that messes with your preciption is fantastic, what could be a true sense of horror and paranoia that modern horror games are missing.

hmmm, is it just me or is Yahtzee saying that Resident Evil Revelations would have been a better game if it had been made in a pre-Resident Evil 4 style?

Cursed Frogurt:
You often have interesting game ideas, Mr. Croshaw. I don't always think they sound good, but they are always interesting.

Reading this just made me sad, very sad, because I'm not playing this game right now. I'm 100% serious, that sounds utterly brilliant. I would also love it if certain cameras were damaged so you (at least initially) were totally "blind" in a given area and had to just use sound and tactile feedback (vibration) to proceed.

Kickstarter.

KICKSTARTER!!

Someone make it as an XBLA/PSN game with PS2 era graphics for the creepiness factor a la Silent Hill 2.

Ninja'd! I was just thinking to say that Yahtzee should use Kickstarter to support this project's creation. As well as some of your other good ideas.

Damn. Like a lot of the game suggestions he makes, this one is particularly good. It's original, awesome-sounding, and (unfortunately) was never actually acted upon.

If I could offer suggestions, mostly in regard to the control scheme and perspective thing, why not allow the use of the first person perspective instead of constant second-person? And yeah, normally it's third-person, but I think this would be the first instance of a second-person game.

But, at any rate, the perspective: allow players to view things through their destroyed eyes, but view the ship by its blueprints or floorplans. In other words, the world you see is basically darkness covered by the lines that denote where everything is supposed to be. A wire-frame world, I suppose.

That leaves the monsters, however. They're obviously not a part of the blueprints, and neither would debris, wreckage, etc. That's where the security cameras come into play. When you 'activate' a camera, it adds the camera's field of vision to your perspective. In essence, it takes the slice of the room/hallway that the camera can see and puts it onto the wireframe. You can't view every camera at once, so you need to pick which one you're looking through. As an upgrade to your neural chip, maybe you can 'look' through two at one time, widening the area in any given zone that you can see.

As a backup, and for areas without working cameras, you get a handheld camera. It's not a great camera to begin with, and it didn't fare too well in the chaos, but it can give you a tunnel of vision that sees the world as it is. Think of it as a flashlight for an environment that's still fully lit, yet completely black from where you're standing.

I think that the handheld would be powered by semi-common powercells that can automatically recharge, but only if you don't burn them out. That way, you won't be punished for lingering or exploring provided you pause to let them recharge (or venture forward and rely on the blueprints/security cameras), but there's an element of urgency to using it in an unexplored area that you haven't found cameras for. And, to be generous, you can recharge a dead cell at a designated port of some kind, just so you never get caught having used all the cells in an area and can't continue.

As for the plot twist...that could easily play into the rising difficulty of the game. Early enemies might be survivors or infected, and thus be largely melee-centered or wielding light weapons/light ranged attacks. Later on, suddenly there are enemies who are tougher and stronger, and fighting with the existing ones. And finally, you're up against creatures that dwarf all previous, and it's not so much about 'fighting' them as evading and surviving their presence. The second group is the first-responders to the disaster, and the third group would be whatever paramilitary unit that gets called in when it's clear that the ship can't be reclaimed without force.

So...yeah. I guess that's about it. Oh, and it might be worthwhile if the virus also picked out a small group of people who would see each other as human: it allows for the protagonist to run across fellow humans to reinforce his belief that what he sees is reality, and the effects would be the same on them.

Zen Toombs:

Cursed Frogurt:

Kickstarter.

KICKSTARTER!!

Ninja'd! I was just thinking to say that Yahtzee should use Kickstarter to support this project's creation. As well as some of your other good ideas.

It's been 15 minutes and I'm already have all these great scenarios in my head. Imagine a loose camera that is swinging back and forth, or one locked in one position, or you happen to find hidden ones from some voyeuristic tech guy, so you're stuck looking at odd angles or most of the vision is obscured.

I also love the idea of the game not pausing while you look into other rooms, so you have to listen to stuff around you. Also, a very important detail: enemies need to be able to come through doors/vents etc. so you rarely feel safe.

Cursed Frogurt:

It's been 15 minutes and I'm already have all these great scenarios in my head. Imagine a loose camera that is swinging back and forth, or one locked in one position, or you happen to find hidden ones from some voyeuristic tech guy, so you're stuck looking at odd angles or most of the vision is obscured.

I also love the idea of the game not pausing while you look into other rooms, so you have to listen to stuff around you. Also, a very important detail: enemies need to be able to come through doors/vents etc. so you rarely feel safe.

I will say that there shouldn't be too much "fake difficulty" in the game (fake difficulty is purposefully bad camera angles, terrible controls etc. that exist to make the game harder and often more frustrating). There should definitely be the more-than-occasional rough section, the obscured camera, the moving camera (ooh, that'd be cool! A camera that's scanning the room! And you can have more than one camera in a room to give different angles, and some enemies could try to destroy the cameras, forcing you to switch camera angles mid-combat! wow I got off track. regardless, for that to work it would need to have good and smooth controls)

I have totally lost track of where I was going, but I like the train-of-thought way I responded to your post so I'll just keep that as it is.

Would be a nice criticism of modern surveillance as well... What with the cameras being able to follow you just about everywhere (including the huts...).

If not for the proposed "first person controls in a third person perspective" thing I could totally get behind that idea. It pretty much ruins the whole deal.

It's an interesting concept, but the idea of first person controls from a fixed camera third person sounds kind of iffy; not from a concept perspective but more from a gameplay perspective. It might work if you go from an Amnesia or Shattered Memories direction of making it more about stealth, traps, and running away as fast as possible, but working any kind of combat in there would be clunky and frustrating at best, and using firearms would be particularly nightmarish. Not saying that it couldn't work, but it would probably fall on the Silent Hill and original Resident Evil problems of the gameplay being kind of shit.

Char-Nobyl:
Damn. Like a lot of the game suggestions he makes, this one is particularly good. It's original, awesome-sounding, and (unfortunately) was never actually acted upon.

If I could offer suggestions, mostly in regard to the control scheme and perspective thing, why not allow the use of the first person perspective instead of constant second-person? And yeah, normally it's third-person, but I think this would be the first instance of a second-person game.

But, at any rate, the perspective: allow players to view things through their destroyed eyes, but view the ship by its blueprints or floorplans. In other words, the world you see is basically darkness covered by the lines that denote where everything is supposed to be. A wire-frame world, I suppose.

That leaves the monsters, however. They're obviously not a part of the blueprints, and neither would debris, wreckage, etc. That's where the security cameras come into play. When you 'activate' a camera, it adds the camera's field of vision to your perspective. In essence, it takes the slice of the room/hallway that the camera can see and puts it onto the wireframe. You can't view every camera at once, so you need to pick which one you're looking through. As an upgrade to your neural chip, maybe you can 'look' through two at one time, widening the area in any given zone that you can see.

As a backup, and for areas without working cameras, you get a handheld camera. It's not a great camera to begin with, and it didn't fare too well in the chaos, but it can give you a tunnel of vision that sees the world as it is. Think of it as a flashlight for an environment that's still fully lit, yet completely black from where you're standing.

I think that the handheld would be powered by semi-common powercells that can automatically recharge, but only if you don't burn them out. That way, you won't be punished for lingering or exploring provided you pause to let them recharge (or venture forward and rely on the blueprints/security cameras), but there's an element of urgency to using it in an unexplored area that you haven't found cameras for. And, to be generous, you can recharge a dead cell at a designated port of some kind, just so you never get caught having used all the cells in an area and can't continue.

As for the plot twist...that could easily play into the rising difficulty of the game. Early enemies might be survivors or infected, and thus be largely melee-centered or wielding light weapons/light ranged attacks. Later on, suddenly there are enemies who are tougher and stronger, and fighting with the existing ones. And finally, you're up against creatures that dwarf all previous, and it's not so much about 'fighting' them as evading and surviving their presence. The second group is the first-responders to the disaster, and the third group would be whatever paramilitary unit that gets called in when it's clear that the ship can't be reclaimed without force.

So...yeah. I guess that's about it. Oh, and it might be worthwhile if the virus also picked out a small group of people who would see each other as human: it allows for the protagonist to run across fellow humans to reinforce his belief that what he sees is reality, and the effects would be the same on them.

Awesome modification there! :)
Not sure about the handheld camera, but the blueprint and the first person view mixed with camera information (like a flashlight) is genius.

I wonder if implementing that game would be though ? You would have to make a shader that use spot light mechanic as texture shader :P funny...

Huh. Well, that's a first. I'm actually very intrigued by such an idea. I've never played survival horror on a boat, and combining that with the third/first person seems appropriate. Just one problem...

Why is the ship's network unsecured? I know that's a stupid question, but wouldn't there be, like, a few passwords to set up? Isn't that common logic?

I don't know about the game but I think the reviewing community could definitely use a semi-mythical psychotic developer bogeyman to keep them on their toes.

Oh, you mean this one?

You play an unknown someone trying to guide another unknown girl around a destroyed (science) vessel. You guide here around by using the security system to turn lights on and off, removed dangers for her, and generally do what you described, except she's controlled by an AI instead of FPS controls.

You can have up to three cameras active at once, and must manually switch them (unless you use the derpy "auto-follow" option).

She walks slowly, but this gives you time to solve the in-system puzzles, such as cracking user passwords, reading computer-journal entries from the ex-crew, and figuring out where important items are using the security console.

It WAS a pretty fun game, and it did get middling reviews. Albeit it was less of a horror game as much as a "WTF happened here" adventure, but it did have a very unnerving "something's going to eat me" atmosphere.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here