The Big Picture: Untransformed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

For anyone who wants to experience entertainment that actually respects the tf license you have to look no further than War for Cybertron and its sequel Fall of Cybertron which is out this year. The first game was great, the new one is looking mind blowingly fantastic.

Oh and Transformers Prime is also pretty effing awesome, best take on the TFs since Beast Wars, its second season starts soon.

Trishbot:
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

The Transformers movie was FANTASTIC!

Death of Optimus Prime! Megatron reborn as Galvatron! Orson Wells as Omnicron! Stan Bush's "The Touch"!

It was everything a Transformers fan could've ever wanted.

Absoloutely. I have heard talk of some thing that says that it's related in some way, but I try and steer clear of cheap cash-ins. Especially those that sound like fap-fiction.

I mean, it's not like someone remade that movie, taking out some of it's best bits to fit it into their new canon, is it?

Now that would be worth getting upset over.

I still do not know why he is harping on the green lantern it was not that bad all things considered.

LazyAza:
For anyone who wants to experience entertainment that actually respects the tf license you have to look no further than War for Cybertron and its sequel Fall of Cybertron which is out this year. The first game was great, the new one is looking mind blowingly fantastic.

Oh and Transformers Prime is also pretty effing awesome, best take on the TFs since Beast Wars, its second season starts soon.

I would not say great its more a mediocre 3rd person shooter with so so story but probly the best TF game ever.

I just want another X-men movie by the "first class" people... AND i wan them to do Juggernaut (my favorite character, but they F*&^%id it up last time, BIG TIME! Mutant? THINK AGAIN!), As far as Transformers... I'll stick with the new game, thankyou...

Falseprophet:
Michael Bay has millions of dollars of his own money, and two fairly successful actors willing to take big paycuts for his dream project. Why couldn't he finance this himself?

Sabrestar:
Ah, someone else who hasn't forgotten the best line from MIB.

At the time, I thought that line was a brilliant insight. Now I realize it's the kind of justification that people who think they're smart use to build up their own sense of superiority. Recent research instead suggests that in some situations, individuals are smarter, but in others, groups are. Maybe 100 years ago you could be that brilliant lone scientist, but I don't think a single individual could have mapped the human genome.

It's talking about mob-crowds.

Woodsey:

Casual Shinji:
Way to contradict yourself... again. *points to The Phantom Menace episode*

Oh, and nice one on insulting the fans of these movies... again.

Seriously, Bob; Grow up.

Oh please, he's not the one crying every time someone says the audience for big Dumb Fuck Film #266 might not, on the whole, be too intelligent.

Well no, but that's because he's the one who's saying it. So why would he cry? I think this very episode is a rather good example of all the things Bob cries about.

Likewise, he said The Phantom Menace was simply a "meh" film and spent the time saying it was unworthy of the amount of derision it had received when you consider it on it's own merit.

The Phantom Menace was a craptastic movie on the same level as Transformers, but because Bob didn't find it too bad it's suddenly not worthy of being hated on as much by the general audience.

Hate to say it Bob, but when you were talking about all the people who don't really care if they get the characters right or if the movies are particularly good, I was thinking "Yep, that's me!"

See, I was never much of a Transformers fan as a kid, so I have little to no investment in the franchise. Now I'm not saying I wanted them to throw out the story, characters and any semblance of quality, I'm saying that even though they did, I still saw all three movies and bought the first because I enjoyed them. Well, Ok, not the second, but I still saw it.

My point is, there are many people out there just like me who would have enjoyed it quite a bit if the movies were spot on, but didn't particularly care when they weren't and I think the studios tend to interpret us as part of the moron/very small child audience you mentioned.

What happened to making a trilogy, then not going back to it for 10 years or so? Are entertainment corporations so much more greedy now than they were 30 years ago?

Trishbot:

Death of Optimus Prime! Megatron reborn as Galvatron! Orson Wells as Omnicron! Stan Bush's "The Touch"!

I bought that movie as an adult, expecting a small nostalgia trip, but its actually still brilliant :) I still throw it on now and again to cheer me up when i need it (best 5 euro ever spent)

Also Lenord Nimoy as Galvatron!

Huh... well this is honestly the first I'd heard of it, but then given Michel Bay's continued involvement, I wouldn't have had any hope for it anyway...

Christ Bob, rein in the fucking elitism a bit would you?

walsfeo:
Snip

FelixG:
Snip

Mantonio:
Snip

Kmadden2004:
Snip

conanthegamer:
Snip

Sigh, why do I keep watching this show? Oh yeah, because it used to be fun, whimsical and informative before it turned into a weekly nerdrage rant by a jaded and cynical thirty-something.

Casual Shinji:

Woodsey:

Casual Shinji:
Way to contradict yourself... again. *points to The Phantom Menace episode*

Oh, and nice one on insulting the fans of these movies... again.

Seriously, Bob; Grow up.

Oh please, he's not the one crying every time someone says the audience for big Dumb Fuck Film #266 might not, on the whole, be too intelligent.

Well no, but that's because he's the one who's saying it. So why would he cry? I think this very episode is a rather good example of all the things Bob cries about.

Likewise, he said The Phantom Menace was simply a "meh" film and spent the time saying it was unworthy of the amount of derision it had received when you consider it on it's own merit.

The Phantom Menace was a craptastic movie on the same level as Transformers, but because Bob didn't find it too bad it's suddenly not worthy of being hated on as much by the general audience.

"Grow up."

I was referencing that. Think about it.

"but because Bob didn't find it too bad it's suddenly not worthy of being hated on as much by the general audience."

The point of the video was: "Is The Phantom Menace the film-equivalent of the Anti-Christ, and is it worth 13 years of venomous spite?" The answer - in his opinion, and I'm hoping I don't have to tell you how hard it is for someone to supposedly contradict themself when every single factor in the equation is subjective - was no. He didn't say people should love The Phantom Menace, he said it's not fucking worth it after all this time.

I'd imagine he'd actually say the same for the Transformers films if that were the case. But since Transformers is NOW and since it's making astronomical sums of money NOW and since people are defending this mindless shit NOW, it is worth encouraging people to get up in arms about it.

Im hating Bob More and more every single episode he does.

I mean, god. Sucessful movies are sucessful for a reason, man.

I mean, He stated something along the lines of "These movies are popular, Therefore the audience is dumb. The more people that watch the movie, the more people are dumb."Jesus Christ, bob, That is up there with some of the most stuck up arsehole-ish comments Ive ever heard; you didnt like this movie because you don't like mainstream cinema, and everyone who does like mainstream cinema is a idiot?

Unless im completely missing what hes said in this video, this is what i heard.

I remember watching his earlier vids and not really sensing this sort of idea; So either i was completely blind, or bob has morphed into a Hipster.

Falseprophet:
Michael Bay has millions of dollars of his own money, and two fairly successful actors willing to take big paycuts for his dream project. Why couldn't he finance this himself?

Sabrestar:
Ah, someone else who hasn't forgotten the best line from MIB.

At the time, I thought that line was a brilliant insight. Now I realize it's the kind of justification that people who think they're smart use to build up their own sense of superiority. Recent research instead suggests that in some situations, individuals are smarter, but in others, groups are. Maybe 100 years ago you could be that brilliant lone scientist, but I don't think a single individual could have mapped the human genome.

Well, yes, exactly. I think it's a good line because sometimes it's accurate. Sometimes, you're right, it's not. After all, crowdsourcing sometimes works very well.

Woodsey:

canadamus_prime:
This is why you have to lower your expectations and just be thankful for the parts they get right.

Alternatively, don't reward them for making shit films.

But how can you truly know it will be a shit film? Critics aren't always trustworthy when it comes to suggesting movies, lets take Movie Bob for example, I know that if he says a movie was good, then it is probably a must see for me, but if he says it's bad, well that doesn't mean I might not still enjoy it.

I will admit I saw all 3 transformers movies, the first one I went to hopeful, the second one I was paid to go see, and the third one I went to see for the pew pew pew. Going into these I didn't know what type of movie it would be and the only way I could truly find out was going to see it.

yay for agent K. boo for dumping on a mediocre sequel. because mediocre is usually the best you'll get in a sequel.

Also, i'm way too young to care about the tranformers, and frankly, the show has been done over so many times so differently mr bays is just as canon as all the other itenerations that fall on the bad side of the spectrum.

in short; i don't care about tranformers anymore.

Also re; hawkeye. honestly looking at it all they did was turn down the purple (it does still fall in to the violet shading for me, and remove the ridiculous mask. sometimes staying completely true to comic images that haven't changed since the 60s and are overly flamboyant can be bad.

If anyone wants their Transformers fix, check out Transformers: Prime on The Hub. This is the RIGHT way to introduce Optimus and crew to a new generation.

artanis_neravar:

Woodsey:

canadamus_prime:
This is why you have to lower your expectations and just be thankful for the parts they get right.

But how can you truly know it will be a shit film? Critics aren't always trustworthy when it comes to suggesting movies, lets take Movie Bob for example, I know that if he says a movie was good, then it is probably a must see for me, but if he says it's bad, well that doesn't mean I might not still enjoy it.

I will admit I saw all 3 transformers movies, the first one I went to hopeful, the second one I was paid to go see, and the third one I went to see for the pew pew pew. Going into these I didn't know what type of movie it would be and the only way I could truly find out was going to see it.

So find a critic whose tastes reflect your own, and if the first two films in a trilogy are shit, it should be enough of a clue to not go and see the third one.

I'm sure you're able to exercise some level of judgement as to what a film will be like.

Lowest common denomintor is putting it mildly. A lot of what is released at the moment can be summed up as "Retard Cinema" , in that both the movie and the audience seem to occupy some mass market nether realm where a terrible film is seen as 'easy to watch' becuase you are expected not to think about what you are seeing. It seems to make no difference to audiences if a film is terrible or not. I doubt 90% of the transformers audience would recognise how much of a superior film "Real Steel" is even though it occupies the same genre and has a similar asthetic.

Moives and audiences have got to a point where quality is not only irrelevant but totally indistinguishable to many. I don't know how people sit though a transformers movie i really don'y, i just want to grab people and shake them shouting "HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE WHAT IRREDEEMABLE SHIT THIS IS!!" wheni get told stright faced that someone thinks transformers movies are good.

It depresses me the level to which an average audience has had all method of telling a good movie from a bad one sucked out of them. Sure films are very subjective but a BAD movie is a bad movie no matter who is watching it. You get get to a certain level of quality and think "Surely no-one who breathes air can not tell this sucks a bag of dicks". Its not movie snobbery, its common standards.

Trishbot:

*Sniff sniff* You brought a tear to my eye. :')

Translation; if you MUST see another Transformers, pirate the damn thing so nobody earns money off you doing it. We need movies like this to go down like the Titanic in iceberg season.

you know, the first 5 episodes of Transformers Prime would have made a pretty good movie, and the design of the transformers (a blend of the TFAnimated series and the movieverse) looks really nice in my opinion. I think Bay would do well to follow some of the sensibilities from that cartoon series, but I just realized that it's already too optimistic to assume he'd do any actual research on the subject material...

Scrumpmonkey:
Lowest common denomintor is putting it mildly. A lot of what is released at the moment can be summed up as "Retard Cinema" , in that both the movie and the audience seem to occupy some mass market nether realm where a terrible film is seen as 'easy to watch' becuase you are expected not to think about what you are seeing.

aka "Eye Candy"

I could have summed up this video in three words before I even watched it. Why is a new transformers movie by Michael Bay being made? "The money, stupid."

The problem with the content of movies made for broad audience appeal (read: demographics not usually interested in whatever element of the movie) is that they mainly consider 'what will offend this group of people?'

Did the original script call for a interestingly written gay character? Do you want Republicans/hardcore Christians to watch your movie? Then take it out, give the character a smaller role or make him or her a stereotypical parody of the gay character. Are the romantic leads too heterosexual for the tween set you want to go see the movie to handle? Shove 'em in the closet! Script too smart for the dumb people whose money you want? Make the plot more simple and take out references to anything you wouldn't have seen on network news or the E channel in the last 2 years.

People like going to the movies, but they're largely stupid and easily scared, so they choose the thing that will least likely offend anyone. And that ends up being Transformers, or Avatar, or whatever. And those things are the ones that make the money. And this is why raising people to basically be cattle is bad for smart people.

MobieBob: You realize how close we probably came to a bad version of Lord of the Rings?

I am confuse.

Please define "close", "probably", "bad" and then show me a good version of Lord of the Rings.

MobieBob: You or I may care about getting the characters right or respect for the material or being a good movie.

You realize that Jackson obviously didn't care when he made the movies... Right?
The wholesale removal of all the story elements that didn't revolve around the main plot of Fordo or Aragorn's subplot, the adding of the irrelevant Aragorn/Arwen romance to each movie to pad time, etc. I'd continue, but if you haven't heard all the gripes the fans of LotR had about the movies, you've had your head in the sand for the past decade.

Was I expecting a bit much for a LotR movies to be good? Perhaps. But, you can't pretend that the changes made weren't to make it appeal to the wider, dumber audience. You know, the exact same reasons you gave for why Bay's Transformers movies sucked and will continue suck.

FelixG:
Wow, bob insulting people who happen to not agree with him.

If I didn't know better I would think he was an average forum goer!

If the Transformers movies are involved, he does it every time. Every one who watches the movies should not operate heavy machinery bla bla bla blaergh... it's his Shtick (or whatever you want to call it). He gets grumpy and all worked up about the fact - That he can argument or tell intelligent but reduces himself to an idiot over one or two little things is kinda funny. :)

Woodsey:

artanis_neravar:

Woodsey:

So find a critic whose tastes reflect your own, and if the first two films in a trilogy are shit, it should be enough of a clue to not go and see the third one.

I'm sure you're able to exercise some level of judgement as to what a film will be like.

Star Wars Episode III was infinitely better than I and II, so there is always the chance that it could be good. and I've tried there is no critic with the same tastes as me, at least not one that will admit it

Jimmybobjr:
Im hating Bob More and more every single episode he does.

I mean, god. Sucessful movies are sucessful for a reason, man.

I mean, He stated something along the lines of "These movies are popular, Therefore the audience is dumb. The more people that watch the movie, the more people are dumb."Jesus Christ, bob, That is up there with some of the most stuck up arsehole-ish comments Ive ever heard; you didnt like this movie because you don't like mainstream cinema, and everyone who does like mainstream cinema is a idiot?

Unless im completely missing what hes said in this video, this is what i heard.

I remember watching his earlier vids and not really sensing this sort of idea; So either i was completely blind, or bob has morphed into a Hipster.

Power corrupts.... jk. But yeh, he should stick to obscure facts than rage-rant.

OT: Transformers 1 and 3 were decent. 2 was abyssmal (except for the forest scene). According to Bob, Im dumb because I believe this... Im not even gonna bother to produce a snarky comeback.

artanis_neravar:

Woodsey:

artanis_neravar:

Star Wars Episode III was infinitely better than I and II, so there is always the chance that it could be good. and I've tried there is no critic with the same tastes as me, at least not one that will admit it

Well then I suppose you're stuck going to see every film ever released, just in case.

Woodsey:

artanis_neravar:

Woodsey:

Well then I suppose you're stuck going to see every film ever released, just in case.

That was indeed my plan

I saw the tagline under the video "Here's why another Transformer's movie is getting made" and expected the video to simply be a 5 minute screenshot of a dollar sign.

Wulfclaw:

FelixG:
Wow, bob insulting people who happen to not agree with him.

If I didn't know better I would think he was an average forum goer!

If the Transformers movies are involved, he does it every time. Every one who watches the movies should not operate heavy machinery bla bla bla blaergh... it's his Shtick (or whatever you want to call it). He gets grumpy and all worked up about the fact - That he can argument or tell intelligent but reduces himself to an idiot over one or two little things is kinda funny. :)

Its really quite funny when you watch one of his 'science' episodes you can really tell how much of a hypocrite he is from how little he knows about what he is trying to talk about :P

From 2 to 3.. we did get less stupid comedy and more action. Was the stupid comedy gone? No, but we got to see that guy from The Hangover get killed by Laserbeak.

Then there was the action.. which the entire second half of the movie was basically a non-stop action sequence and all I've heard about it is people bitching that it was too much action.

Here's the kicker, all the people who bitch about how dumb the Transformers movies are.. you still paid to go see them. Maybe, just maybe, if you think they're so horrible you should, I dunno, stop going. Is it going to put some huge dent in the box-office gross? Probably not, but who knows and you get the added bonuses of not wasting your time and money on a movie you know going in you're going to hate AND not feeling compelled to make videos about how much you hated that thing you knew you were going to hate and berating the people who liked it.

It's quite simple, if it hurts, don't do it. If it sucks, don't watch it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here