Shuffling is Not a Formality

Pages PREV 1 2

Zom-B:

Encaen:
Riffle Shuffling"]Now with more Magic!

Ricky Jay is pretty amazing. I can't even fathom such card manipulation. It's a mindbottling combination of dexterity and mental prowess.

Two questions: 1) Is magic real? 2) Is Ricky Jay a wizard?

OT: The article was an interesting read. I hadn't really put much thought into shuffling before now, but from now on I'll try to avoid certain kinds of shuffling seeing as how they aren't effective or they could be considered stacking.

Encaen:
Shuffling is Not a Formality

On shuffling habits, good and bad.

Read Full Article

The "mash" shuffle you detail is called a Faro shuffle.
For the interested.

As for the Inkmoth question:

Anyway, as always, great article!

Actually, for the inkmoth question, the answer is

No latter than the declaration of the last blocker

in real terms (especially at lower rules enforcement levels).

The letter of the law is as described previously. However, it's considered a minor out of order sequencing offence - the intention of the player is pretty clear (I'll block with these dudes) so as long as it is essentially all one motion - block, block, block with inky (paying 1) it's probably going to be fine.

That said: Do it at the right time, before blockers are declared. It's a better habit.

On mana weaving: It's cheating. Seriously, how could it not be?

Everyone agrees stacking your deck is cheating. Mana weaving is essentially stacking your deck.

A parallel example: Mike Long is, for those of you who are unfamiliar with some of the history of the game, one of magics early pros. He is also a massive, massive cheat*

During US nationals in 2000, mike was playing a card called howling wolf. It's a 4 mana 2/2 that when it comes into play you can search for three more copies. I know, it sounds terrible - suffice to say that masks limited was awful and move on.

Long's deck had 4 of these. It only really functioned if he drew one. So he carefully seperated them by ten cards each, shuffled in a half-hearted fashion (if at all; some claim he made a series of motions designed to return the deck to its initial state) and then when his opponent cut, he was always close to a howling wolf.

This is obviously cheating. Mana weaving is only marginally better.

*and no, not all pros are cheats. Not even most or many. Most are fantastic players and good (nearly all) blokes.

Zom-B:

Shynobee:
Nice article. I used to only mash shuffle, but as I started drafting, I found pile shuffling seems to give you a more randomized deck.

Holy zombie jesus, can you imagine having to sit across from that guy and play a game against him? Talk about annoying. That's one of the reasons right there I have zero interest in playing in any sort of tournament environment. MtG is just one of those games that brings out the worst behaviour and habits in a large amount of players.

That right there tells me you've never played the game. Occasionally you have a few curt players here and there, but there's really few outright assholes.

As someone who watches Kibler's stream regularly, I can say he's one of the most level headed and entertaining guys to play with, he pretty much never rages and always keeps a cool head.

In fact, the only time I can think of when I played an asshole was at an FNM where I forgot to de-sideboard from a previous matchup, caught it before we started playing, then was told by my opponent that he was a judge (not the judge of the tournament, but a judge) and he would disqualify me from the tournament and suspend me if I didn't take a game loss. He doesn't have the power to do that and FNM is casual ruleset which prevents that sort of thing, but he was a friend of the TO so I just said "fine, fuck it".

On the whole, though, RL magic is quite civil and damn near everyone I've met has been extremely nice if a bit introverted.

deth2munkies:

Zom-B:

Shynobee:
Nice article. I used to only mash shuffle, but as I started drafting, I found pile shuffling seems to give you a more randomized deck.

Holy zombie jesus, can you imagine having to sit across from that guy and play a game against him? Talk about annoying. That's one of the reasons right there I have zero interest in playing in any sort of tournament environment. MtG is just one of those games that brings out the worst behaviour and habits in a large amount of players.

That right there tells me you've never played the game. Occasionally you have a few curt players here and there, but there's really few outright assholes.

As someone who watches Kibler's stream regularly, I can say he's one of the most level headed and entertaining guys to play with, he pretty much never rages and always keeps a cool head.

In fact, the only time I can think of when I played an asshole was at an FNM where I forgot to de-sideboard from a previous matchup, caught it before we started playing, then was told by my opponent that he was a judge (not the judge of the tournament, but a judge) and he would disqualify me from the tournament and suspend me if I didn't take a game loss. He doesn't have the power to do that and FNM is casual ruleset which prevents that sort of thing, but he was a friend of the TO so I just said "fine, fuck it".

On the whole, though, RL magic is quite civil and damn near everyone I've met has been extremely nice if a bit introverted.

Never played the game? If you mean that I've never played FNM or entered a tournament, you'd be correct. But I play the game on a weekly basis.

Regardless, I've played enough competitive sports to know that when you put passionate, driven, skilled people together in the same place, add in stakes of some sort (prizes, prestige, rankings) it brings out the worst in some of those people. Sure, maybe most MtG players are nice guys who don't annoyingly flap their cards around, but the rude and annoying players are out there and I have absolutely no desire to meet them, let alone play Magic with them. I'll stick to my fun and friendly games with my family and good buddies thanks.

I would never say that no one else should play in FNM or tournaments, it's just not the environment that I like to play in. Your little anecdote quite succinctly explains why I avoid these events. I've never had to even once say "fine, fuck it" when playing with friends, or endure some condescending bullshit from some doofus who claims to be a judge (I could make that claim too, if I were so inclined), ruining my fun.

I don't think Magic was developed by Atari in 1997 for windows, but I may be wrong.

RJ 17:

As for the question...

And you are incorrect, you should probably look up turn based actions and figure it out from there.

fanklok:
I don't think Magic was developed by Atari in 1997 for windows, but I may be wrong.

RJ 17:

As for the question...

And you are incorrect, you should probably look up turn based actions and figure it out from there.

Unless Inkmoth says it can only transform on your turn (which, if it does, then I fully admit that I'm wrong) then I'm right. They declare attackers, then during/before your declare blocker phase, you have the chance to do extra effects. This can be tapping an Elvish Piper to bust out something huge from your hand which can then be used to block, using that rare zombie that exiles a creature from target graveyard to put a 2/2 zombie on the board for you, cast instants, etc.

RJ 17:

fanklok:

RJ 17:

As for the question...

Unless Inkmoth says it can only transform on your turn (which, if it does, then I fully admit that I'm wrong) then I'm right. They declare attackers, then during/before your declare blocker phase, you have the chance to do extra effects. This can be tapping an Elvish Piper to bust out something huge from your hand which can then be used to block, using that rare zombie that exiles a creature from target graveyard to put a 2/2 zombie on the board for you, cast instants, etc.

Technically speaking, you actually have to animate the Inkmoth when you have priority during the Declare Attackers step(this is after Attackers have been declared.) The first thing that happens during the Declare Blockers step is to declare all blockers, which is a turn-based action that doesn't use the stack. All Blockers must be declared before either player gets priority in the Declare Blockers step, so you wouldn't have an opportunity to animate until after you've finished declaring all of your Blockers.

Alternately, if you were on the offensive, the last opportunity you would have to animate in order to attack would be the Beginning of Combat step for much the same reason.

mrverbal, above, actually points out that in most situations you're not going to get faulted for animating the Inkmoth while in the process of declaring blockers, though it is generally good practice to play as technically correctly as possible!

Encaen:
snip

:P But that's what I was saying. It's after offense says "these guys are attacking" but before defense says "these guys are blocking this, this, and this."

Offense says "I'm attacking with my Gravedigger." Defense says "Animate Inkmoth" then declares it as a blocker.

RJ 17:

Encaen:
snip

:P But that's what I was saying. It's after offense says "these guys are attacking" but before defense says "these guys are blocking this, this, and this."

Offense says "I'm attacking with my Gravedigger." Defense says "Animate Inkmoth" then declares it as a blocker.

Your original answer was during the declare blockers step which is incorrect, the reason I suggested the question of the week to Josh, there should probably be some mention of that in an article at some point, was so people would actually look at the rules and learn how things really work. In practice yes out of order sequencing happens but actually understanding how everything in the game works will make you a better player.

Your always meant to seven card shuffle because your deck should be 60 cards for constructed, because of Pi. As in maths. Pi the closest math get's to random thats why you always seven card shuffle. At least before your match begins after that you have 3 minutes to shuffle and present.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here