No Right Answer: Most Overrated Videogame

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Most Overrated Videogame

Back to basics, that's what works. In fact, basics are the best ever, forever, of all time! Wow, that got a bit overrated, didn't it. Well, the boys this week ponder on what other things are overrated, namely video games. What game ends up being the most overrated? I won't ruin the debate by spoiling it, but needless to say, this is clearly the best debate we've ever had, ever ... ever.

And don't forget, if you don't understand our decisions or want to have more of our material to complete your shrines to us, Mondays feature a new written companion piece titled No Right Explanation. We dare you to make less sense!

Watch Video

Well this was always going to start a flame war, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I thought it was going to be something like Portal vs. Mass Effect or something like that.

But since when is Halo 3 full of corridors? It may have some but there's a lot of open space in that game. And what was that stuff about FF7 still being on the "front lines"? What? No it's not. At all.

Actually, I feel the need to agree with the decision here. FF7 while a good RPG, doesn't deserve the pedestal it is on. It had its moments, but just did not give me the wow factor like FF6 did. Personally, that is the one I want remade. Anyway, while true that Shooters have evolved beyond goldeneye, but I think that worked in its favor.

I'm surprised Half Life or something wasn't mentioned instead.

I'd say Minecraft is the most overrated. It's fun to build things in, sure, but it gets damn boring INCREDIBLY fast.

Also, messed up your paragraph tags there, capped the first one so the second didn't close it :P

I'm going to go with either Halo or Call Of Duty. That would have been a better debate, because whichever won, you still would have been right!

I would have gone with Half life over Goldeneye for most overrated.

Great debate from Chris as always. But we need more Dan threeways.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Worst entry in the series, nothing about the game was good (except the Dark Brotherhood questline), it's mediocre at best.

Oh, and respect for the "Lonely Island" refference.

This needed the third guy to come in and argue that Skyrim is the most overrated game of all time.

Maybe he was on his way but he took an . . .unfortunate wrong turn that made him late.

Adequate debate. Fair play to Chris to mention that Graham totally made several of these points on Checkpoint.

Honestly though, the fanbase-ferver-to-fun ratio of Goldeneye or FFVII pales in comparison to Planescape: Torment. You have some incredibly die-hard fans for the most egregious offender in the storied '10: Read text box. 20: Click on guy. 30: Goto 10' path of RPGs.

I played through the entirety of Planescape just to have a response to 'OMG this is the best game evaaar if you like RPGs!!!11!!!'. That response is: no. This game is boring. At least you're still having some amount of fun while you play FFVII and Goldeneye.

Halo beats Final Fantasy 7
Why?
Because they ARE bringing it back!

So I have one major issue with this episode. It might have been something I missed in the past, but your copyright says 2011 >_>

I have no real love for both games, so I have to say that Skyrim is very overrated. Despite their shortcomings, FF7 and Goldeneye both have a set end point. That means the programmers had the courtesy to complete their work before showing it off to the world. Skyrim and Western RPGs in general, does not have an ending, or much of a story for that matter. All it provides you with is a vaguely defined goal and that's it. It does no have a place where the narrative logically ends, nor does it even provide much of a structured story storyline. If you stumble upon the storyline while you are faffing about in the hinterlands, well good for you because that was purely accidental on your part.

Aureliano:
I played through the entirety of Planescape just to have a response to 'OMG this is the best game evaaar if you like RPGs!!!11!!!'. That response is: no. This game is boring. At least you're still having some amount of fun while you play FFVII and Goldeneye.

I would have to agree here, Planescape and BG as games are pretty bland. Great story, worse than JRPG gameplay.

Between the two they mentioned, Golden eye without doublt. It was nicely made, but Quake was better for me and came before, Half Life was better in every freaking possible way and was released one year after; aside from being the first decenly made FPS for consoles I don't see any merit in Golden Eye.

Edit: Also, I remember Golden Eye for the OST, not the game or the movie :D

DVS BSTrD:
Why?

Bringing what back? And how does that prove it?

I'm gonna say FFVII gets my vote for most overrated game ever.
Why? Because of how successful it was and how just about every other Final Fantasy game is compared to the success of VII.
Shooters are not compared to Goldeneye anymore, they are compared to Halo or CoD. Not to say that Goldeneye is bad, I fucking love that game, but like Chris said, it is in a museum now; you think fondly back to the days of when Goldeneye was fucking awesome to play with friends, and how you still hate that one friend who whored the Golden Gun.

I still know people who defend FFVII despite many other RPGs being much better than VII. You just don't get that with Goldeneye anymore.

Tanakh:
Between the two they mentioned, Golden eye without doublt. It was nicely made, but Quake was better for me and came before, Half Life was better in every freaking possible way and was released one year after; aside from being the first decenly made FPS for consoles I don't see any merit in Golden Eye.

Well I think one of it's merits, or better said one of the reasons why it was hailed as being great was the fact that it had four player - which was undoubtedly a lot of fun but I attribute that bonus more to the console it was on than anything else.

So I do agree that GoldenEye is a little overrated and think that a lot of what people liked about it had to do with the system it was on.

I can still play FF VII, it holds up rather well. I actually just started it again last week after buying all the Final Fantasy games up to VII for my PSP. Maybe it's the small screen, maybe it's because I have been playing retro styled games as of late, but the visuals still strike me as good. The music is second to no other game I've played, and I still love the materia system.

Goldeneye wasn't that great last time I played it, say... 5 years ago. The controller for N64 is still horrible, and the graphics leave me feeling bored and not caring about killing or dieing in game. Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of it 10 years ago either.

As for MY most over rated game?

God of War.

I bought the HD version when I finally got my PS3 a year ago... and I couldn't believe how much I didn't enjoy playing the game. It was over rated in my mind by the heaps of praise and success it has had, and I guess I was expecting more than a horrible story, lack luster puzzles, a camera that actively tried to kill me, a game over screen that mocked my deaths while 'platforming', and oh yeah.... the combat was boring. I forced myself to complete it tho. I felt the need to see what the whole thing was about, and I was left feeling like I just wasted my time.

I'm guessing I was just spoiled by Bayonetta and other games, and if I had played GoW when it was released, I would probably be on the same page as others.

Scrustle:

DVS BSTrD:
Why?

Final Fantasy doesn't warrant a graphics upgrade.
But they're starting a new Halo series.
What does that say about how the two compare in terms of 'rating'?

DVS BSTrD:

Scrustle:

DVS BSTrD:
Why?

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. You're saying that FF7 is over-rated, and that Halo is better because they re-made Halo 1 and are brining out Halo 4?

I would say both of them are overrated.

FF7, despite being the only Final Fantasy game I've had the attention span to finish, features the same angsty androgen protagonist that are in quite a few Japanese rpg's. Also using different characters didn't mean much when you just used Materia. It basically came down to who you liked more.

Goldeneye, though a lot of fun back when I was younger, merely legitimized FPS games on consoles. All my years playing FPS games on PC, Goldeneye wasn't really "new" per se.

Don't get me wrong, I like both of them, I just don't think they should be put on a pedestal, as mentioned in the video, for being the symbol of excellence.

perfect dark was definitely better than golden-eye.

Yeah, Goldeneye was overrated.... 007 : Nightfire was so much better.

Scrustle:
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. You're saying that FF7 is over-rated, and that Halo is better because they re-made Halo 1 and are brining out Halo 4?

I'm a tad confused as well. By his logic, a remake is indicative of a games superiority.

It has nothing to do with the fact that they know people are silly enough to buy the game they made a decade ago with nothing more than a texture swap right?

great picks!

I'll take Goldeneye over FFVII. Only reason, i manage to get a headache and bored playing Goldeneye. FFVII was the only JRPG i've played that made me lose track of time. I HATE turn based RPGs but FFVII i actually played for an extended period of time.

Therefore, Goldeneye is more overrated to me :D

But nonetheless awesome picks!

FF7 is a good candidate for most overrated. Only fair Goldeneye lost.

It's not hard to find too many games with perfect scores, so you should nominate that 10/10 game that was worst of the bunch.
I'd pick Oblivion in the RPG category, but FF7 can still compete for terrible dialogue, stupid plot, bad gameplay and overrated graphics.

vrbtny:
Yeah, Goldeneye was overrated.... 007 : Nightfire was so much better.

hell yeah nightfire was awesome

silverdragon9:
perfect dark was definitely better than golden-eye.

I agree Perfect dark much better than goldeneye

@back on topic

I don't think final fantasy VII is overrated and I don't get why people still be hating on final fantasy VIII

I don't care who wins.

Talk about Final Fantasy 9 some more.

Scrustle:

DVS BSTrD:

Scrustle:

I'm saying Halo is more over-rated because they re-made Halo and are bringing out Halo 4.
FF7 isn't over-rated enough to warrant a re-make.

I still own and play my N64 copy of Perfect Dark. I mean C'mon, look at the multiplayer! AI mechanics that spread across a huge terrain of difficulties, gotta love that.

Also, FF7 was... okay? Surely not the pedestal-deserving RPG of our age just because they knocked off a main character in a cinematic scene. (FF5 did that too, people seem to forget that.)

My arcadey, mindless fun FPS when I was growing up was Timesplitters. I own all 3 games and I think the series got better with each one.

I finally got a chance to play Goldeneye 3 years ago and my first thought was "wow this seems like a much more primitive version of Timesplitters", then "I'd rather be playing Timesplitters right now than this." So yeah I think Goldeneye is in the running for most overrated game ever, or at least game that no longer holds up.

Never played a Final Fantasy game so I can't comment.

Anyway if you REALLY wanted to piss off your user base, claim that Pokemon Red/Blue were the most overrated games ever.

yes, what DO you mean by linkin park?

also i have to agree with FF7. its important, but its not the best game ever or the staple for RPG. in fact id recon people have gone out of their way to make RPGs NOTHING like FF7(except JRPGs wich almost all of them suck anyway). in fact this goes for almost all games from the past. WAKE UP PEOPLE. YOU WERE KIDS. YOU WERE YOUNG. YOU WERE INTRODUCED TO VIDEO GAMES THEN. THEY MEZMERIZED YOU. now theyre just a routine, more famous and more abndant, so you feel a need to be critical towards them. games in the past were as shitty as the ones we have now.

I hate the use of the word overrated. I believe something is overrated when it's considered to be great, but it isn't even good. Some people have told me that Mass Effect 2 is overrated, because it didn't live up the expectation that have been hyped to an unobtainable level. That's a matter of immature response to expectations, something that we should learn at an early age when a toy we get turns out to suck when it did awesome shit in the commercial.

That being said I like Halo. I don't care what you beard-strokey, avant-garde, Half-Life 2 loving jerks say. I'll take my explosions, vehicle combat, and interesting enemy/encounter design.

If people wanted a Goldeneye remake, they could have just played Timesplitters.

There was no way that a Goldeneye remake would spark a revolution in multiplayer gaming again, after all these years. And it's multiplayer was one of the main reasons it was so loved.

<_< I really loved FF7's giant story, open world exploration and awesome materia system. Hell, the materia alone kept me playing for ages. Toss in the Golden Saucer, the only in-game theme park worthy of the name I've ever seen, complete with arcade of mini games, roller coaster and race track, a primitive sounding yet incredibly memorable soundtrack and it remains legendary in my eyes.

The combat might be antiquated but I balk at the charge of pallet swapping mobs. Guilty, yes; but what RPG doesn't do that? Off the top of my head for latest and greatests, Dragon Age? Guilty. Tales of Vesperia? Guilty. We could probably rattle off titles all day long and it'd be the same result. Non-RPGs, just as guilty.

Soon as I saw the title, I instantly thought FFVII, and I've never even played any of the FF games. So yeah, gonna have to side with Chris here.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here