No Right Answer: Most Overrated Videogame

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

You're both wrong.
Again.
And once again, it falls upon me to provide the right answer.
Because I'm always right.
Always.
It's Half Life 2 (And episodes, because they still haven't finished that game, making it more a a joke than Duke Nukem Forever).

I agree with this decision. Goldeneye is remembered fondly as a game that was really good but perhaps not so relevant today. People still treat FFVII like it's the benchmark title that all rpgs (at least jrpgs) must be compared. When in fact it wasn't all that good.

The romance felt like less than Twilight to me. They love each other because they do. Aeris' death was just so blah. It wasn't a heart wrenching moment at all because she was a really bland character who was the love interest of a really bland lead. Cloud was completely bland, not necessarily a bad thing a lot of RPGs do that, but to make him a blank slate then expect us to care about him is a bad thing. People complain that Squall was whiny, so was Cloud.

It wasn't the best JRPG ever, it was the best JRPG a western audience had played at the time.

Definately final fantasy 7, st least goldeneye did what it did well at the time and laid the groundwork for games to build on what it did.

FF7... there are better games within it's franchise, and whatever tropes it did introduce or do well were done better elsewhere, or were annoying to begin with.

FF VII is definitely more overrated. At least for its time, Goldeneye was the benchmark. It was the best console shooter anyone had been able to pull off at the moment of its release. There were already many better RPGs in the history of console gaming. At least 2 of them (IV and VI, though you could argue III and V as well, I'm going by actual creation, not NA release) with the same damn name. It's a good game, but it never has been and never will be amazing, like Goldeneye was and many other Final Fantasy games are.

Waaghpowa:
Goldeneye, though a lot of fun back when I was younger, merely legitimized FPS games on consoles. All my years playing FPS games on PC, Goldeneye wasn't really "new" per se.

Exactly. Goldeneye didn't really change much besides graphics. Everything you'd want in a FPS back then you could have found in Wolfenstein, or Duke Nukem, or Doom. People remember Goldeneye more because it became more available to the masses than those PC games of the past.

Think of it it terms with Halo (which, by the way, I'm not saying is bad). People's argument that Halo is overrated can be attributed to how accessible it became for people. One major factor is that when they sold Xbox 360s, they would sometimes package the console with whatever was the new(ish) iteration of Halo. And since some of these ended up being the first game people had for the 360, that'd be the one they'd play frequently and remember fondly, since it was probably their first experience with an FPS at all, let alone a next-gen FPS.

It speaks to the simplicity of people. Some people would much rather have a machine made specifically for playing games than tweak another one so it can play those same games. That's why Goldeneye became so popular: it spoke to the people who didn't know about Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, or Doom. And since it provided a simple means to play an FPS with a streamlined controller instead of a mouse and keyboard, it's obvious people are going to look back at it with fondness.

The only reason I don't is because I didn't play it back when I had a N64. My first Bond game was The World Is Not Enough. That one I ended up playing quite a lot, though.

I think a lot of FFVII's fame comes from what it was at the time. I know that it was personally the first JRPG I played, at the tender age of eight I remember being awed by it because I'd never played something like it before. Though honestly, I would have thought this debate would have come down to a Nintendo franchise vs an FPS.

Aw, come on, it's up to me to say it? Way most overrated game of all time: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Alakaizer:
Aw, come on, it's up to me to say it? Way most overrated game of all time: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Rebellious_Gate:
I don't care who wins.

Talk about Final Fantasy 98 some more.

Actually either would make me happy. Maybe even restore my faith in the FF series after finishing FFXIII-2 yesterday. Although I don't think FFVIII was "weird." OK, there's a plothole (or two) as deep as the Mariana Trench, but that doesn't stop me loving it so!

This could have gone either way, tbh, but I think Kyle just really fucked up as the debate was coming to a close. Granted, I agree with Chris that FF7 (and the series as a whole) is fairly overrated. I sort of expected Halo to be in this, but I guess not. Either way, this was pretty entertaining.

Alakaizer:

Hm... I actually didn't think about this one. I might have to agree with you. Only because fans let this eclipse the franchises more unique titles like Four Swords, Wind Waker, or Majora's Mask. Ocarina was... okay. But it got boring (for me) pretty quick and remaking it several times doesn't help with that.

You are both wrong. The most overrated videogame ever is Uncharted 2.

One word: Xenogears. SERIOUSLY overrated.

The correct answer is: The Uncharted series.

Or: Halo Reach. What a step backward.
Or: Every CoD game after Modern Warfare and WaW.

Not saying either of them are bad, just that they don't necessarily deserve their sales.

veloper:
FF7 is a good candidate for most overrated. Only fair Goldeneye lost.

It's not hard to find too many games with perfect scores, so you should nominate that 10/10 game that was worst of the bunch.
I'd pick Oblivion in the RPG category, but FF7 can still compete for terrible dialogue, stupid plot, bad gameplay and overrated graphics.

Care to explain your points or just come off as an uninformed troll?

*Post Deleted*

Chris, you MUST tell me who made that shirt! (Look at the label!)
Puh-lea-ze! I MUST own one as well!

Tried a quick couple of Google image searches, but it's probably an older item...

On a sidenote: I can't believe how many "The Scream" shirts there have been made! (The Dark Knight, Nosferatu, etc. etc. etc.!!!!

I haven't played FFVII, but I do love me some GoldenEye.

Just had an idea for a debate topic: Best Videogame Fantasy World: Hyrule vs Tamriel

Even at the time Final Fantasy VII was not a good RPG at the time.

Spot1990:
It wasn't the best JRPG ever, it was the best JRPG a western audience had played at the time.

It was not even that. It was the only JRPG most western players had ever seen and one of the first that came out with 3d graphics(really really bad 3d).

Either Zelda OOT (Not trolling, Zelda is my favourite series, I just really don't think it is as fantastic as people say) or Mass Effect.

I came in to the video and this thread expecting to see the usual suspects. In terms of the thread, I was not let down. (or rather, not surprised)

As for the video, I was somewhat surprised, but not because I disagree. I've never been a fan of the Final Fantasy games, but I loved Goldeneye. However, I have to agree they are both put on a pedestal. They do deserve praise for some things, but not the universally doe-eyed, nostalgia-filtered praise they receive. (oh, and Perfect Dark was definitely better)

However, thinking on it, I have to disagree with them. I can honestly say the most overrated game "ever" is Skyrim.

Why? Several reasons really, but here's the most egregious. Let's look at their picks. FF7 and Goldeneye. Like them or hate them, in the very least the games worked. Skyrim? It's broken, even at a fundamental level. It's so bug riddled you'd think you'd need to call an exterminator. Yet, Skyrim is constantly being praised as a paragon of modern game design. A shining beacon of excellence that other developers should aspire to. It doesn't make sense to me.

Now if you'll excuse me, anyone have a flame-shield I can borrow?

(by the way, to anyone who's considering accosting me with rebuttals, before you do, bare in mind that I'm not saying anyone is "wrong" for liking Skyrim. On the contrary. I can see why people love it. Hell, I've even had some fun with some of the mods that have come to light. Opinion is opinion and you're welcome to enjoy or dislike whatever you want. God knows there are things that are terrible that I love and things that are great that I dislike. But, you won't see me singing the praises of the bad. Same thing applies to Skyrim.)

Enigma Syndrome:
I still own and play my N64 copy of Perfect Dark. I mean C'mon, look at the multiplayer! AI mechanics that spread across a huge terrain of difficulties, gotta love that.

Also, FF7 was... okay? Surely not the pedestal-deserving RPG of our age just because they knocked off a main character in a cinematic scene. (FF5 did that too, people seem to forget that.)

And let's not forget Chrono Trigger, where THE main character (not some barely fleshed out romantic interest) actually DIES instead of just getting put out of commission for a short while and you have to go through a(completely optional) sidequest to bring him back.

Shadowstar38:
I would have gone with Half life over Goldeneye for most overrated.

Great debate from Chris as always. But we need more Dan threeways.

Calling Half-Life the most overrated game of all time is a bad idea. The Worst thing you get for calling Final Fantasy 7 or Goldeneye overrated is hate on the internet. Call Half-Life overrated and you wake up with a horse head in your bed.

OT: I could agree with either of the options here, but I also somehow think Ocarina of Time deserves a spot pretty high up there. Also I loved the ending of this one. It made me chuckle quite a bit.

Unsurprisingly, I disagree.

Goldeneye still has some really good things (The Pause music for a start)
FF7 still tells a story with some really tear-jerking moments.

You wanna know what's really over-rated?

This is the most exciting it gets. Dull, whiney, road movie of a game that seems to forget about stealing cars and turns it into Babysitter Missions ad nauseum.

It's a Birmingham New Street of a game, it's a Paris, Texas of a game, it's a Da Vinci Code of a game.

And it doesn't even have a good radio.

Souplex:
It's Half Life 2 (And episodes, because they still haven't finished that game, making it more a a joke than Duke Nukem Forever).

Man I am so on board with this. I don't get it. That game had zero replay value for me. At all. It was mildly distracting. And everyone praised it's "epic story", uhm... what? It had good atmosphere, not story, and even that couldn't save it after hearing "Reload Doctor Freeman" for the 94th fucking time. I don't want to save these people any more. Ravenholm was the only interesting bit on the whole game, and even then it doesn't warrant a replay.

Halo 3...corridors?
what?
Halo has some of the more wider open spaces in First Person Shooters without resorting to sand box...and halo 3 odst DID have a sandbox element! (not to mention that every halo games has always brought something new and worthwhile to gaming as a whole but i digress)
so...uh....WRONG!

If i were to list what i though was the most over rated games, it would be:
1. Every call of duty that isnt finest hour, number 2, or World at War.
2. Final Fantasy x
3. Duke Nukem 3d
4. Street Fighter
5. God of War and Uncharted and assassins creed tie for a disappointing fifth place of bleh...

Bioshock, the big twist was copy pasted from system shock 2. atlas left me with a bitter aftertaste: can someone say polito? and they also went for a crummy final boss fight like its spiritual predecessor.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "OVER-RATING".

Okay, to be specific, if people are expressing their honest opinion about something, they can never over-rate something. If they are lying about the quality of something, pretending it is way better than they really think it is, then, yes, they are clearly over-rating it.

What am I talking about? Simple: the term "over-rate" claims that someone is saying something is better than it really is. The problem with that claim is that games are regarded on a largely subjective level: there is no metric for deciding, objectively, how good a game is. So if a bunch of people honestly find Mario or Zelda really good, and I think it isn't, I do not have liscense to accuse those people of over-rating the game, as though their opinion is "wrong" for thinking that thing they like is so good. It certainly doesn't give them liscense to suggest I'm "underating" the same games, just for thinking lowly of them.

There is no centralised agency for deciding how good games are, so until there is, "over-rating" is a term that should be used exclusively to refer to that thing journalists do, when they pretend a game is good just to keep cosy with the devs.

In a nutshell, my thoughts:

Perfect Dark >>>>>>> Goldeneye

FF6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FF7

Most over-rated game ever? Skyrim. Good, just not anywhere near as good as it should have been.

maninahat:

Okay, to be specific, if people are expressing their honest opinion about something, they can never over-rate something. If they are lying about the quality of something, pretending it is way better than they really think it is, then, yes, they are clearly over-rating it.

What am I talking about? Simple: the term "over-rate" claims that someone is saying something is better than it really is. The problem with that claim is that games are regarded on a largely subjective level: there is no metric for deciding, objectively, how good a game is. So if a bunch of people honestly find Mario or Zelda really good, and I think it isn't, I do not have liscense to accuse those people of over-rating the game, as though their opinion is "wrong" for thinking that thing they like is so good. It certainly doesn't give them liscense to suggest I'm "underating" the same games, just for thinking lowly of them.

There is no centralised agency for deciding how good games are, so until there is, "over-rating" is a term that should be used exclusively to refer to that thing journalists do, when they pretend a game is good just to keep cosy with the devs.

You are wrong for one reason: People exaggerate. It is a form of lying, and people do it a lot. People also get massive nostalgia goggles, and remember things as being better than they were.

Halo and CoD most overrated bar none, for they are just plain mediocre and yet are praised as something more. HL2 takes the bronze.

Golden eye overrated? Go to bed kids.

Dude lost any and all credibility when he said that FF8 had a better story than 7. Also when he called 7 cookie cutter for all those tropes. What game do you think invented those tropes? Yeah, FFVII.

As for most over rated. Shadow of the Colossus. Boring, empty, broken piece of shit game that does not deserve to be remembered at all let alone called one of the best artistic games of all time.

I have to say Final Fantasy VII. People admit that GoldenEye has aged poorly. They say it all the time. The only praise it gets is out if nostalgia, and people accept that people didn't like it, since the controlls are old. FFVII, on the other hand, is still considered great! Well, to be honest, the game I always call the most overrated is, shocking, since I'm a JRPG fan, Chrono Trigger. I couldn't find anything to like about it, and the main reason people remember it so fondly is because it was innovative.

Chairman Miaow:

maninahat:

You are wrong for one reason: People exaggerate. It is a form of lying, and people do it a lot. People also get massive nostalgia goggles, and remember things as being better than they were.

Exaggeration isn't really a lie, it is a rhetorical device that carries across the sentiments and essence of how a person views the game. If someone says Sonic 4 is the bestest thing ever, maybe they believe that. Even if they don't and they are exaggerating, and you sit them down and point out that they obviously like some things more so, they'll probably sit you down and explain that exaggerations are not meant to be taken literally, and that they were simply trying to articulate that Sonic 4 is very good. I'm surprised you haven't called a metaphor a lie as well.

As for nostalgia, the rose tinted way in which we look back on something simply reflects a change in view: we've grown to like something more than we used to, and we've diminished the importance of the negatives that may have once bothered us. That doesn't mean that the individual is lying to themself, or is any less honest about their preferences than before.

maninahat:

Chairman Miaow:

maninahat:

Exaggeration isn't really a lie, it is a rhetorical device that carries across the sentiments and essence of how a person views the game. If someone says Sonic 4 is the bestest thing ever, maybe they believe that. Even if they don't and they are exaggerating, and you sit them down and point out that they obviously like some things more so, they'll probably sit you down and explain that exaggerations are not meant to be taken literally, and that they were simply trying to articulate that Sonic 4 is very good. I'm surprised you haven't called a metaphor a lie as well.

As for nostalgia, the rose tinted way in which we look back on something simply reflects a change in view: we've grown to like something more than we used to, and we've diminished the importance of the negatives that may have once bothered us. That doesn't mean that the individual is lying to themself, or is any less honest about their preferences than before.

Whether it is a kind of lying or not is irrelevant, people will hype up a game as better than even they think it is, either because they are exaggerating or not remembering it properly, therefore it is over-rated.

the correct answer has been reached i think, of the generation golden eye and FF7 hail i can think of no game as over rated as FF7

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here