No Right Answer: Most Overrated Videogame

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

draythefingerless:
yes, what DO you mean by linkin park?

I don't know, I'm wondering that myself, haha. I feel like Chris just says things that don't make any sense some times.

Shotgun Guy:

draythefingerless:
yes, what DO you mean by linkin park?

I don't know, I'm wondering that myself, haha. I feel like Chris just says things that don't make any sense some times.

i think he used to be one of those linky die hard fans back when their good albums came out, then saw Transformers...and a bit of his heart got bitter rotten and disgustingly twisted, turning him into the critical debater he is now.

or you know, bullshit.

the term "over-rated" just seems to be a phrase we can use to take a stab at popular things we dont like...

...so in the spirit of that I'll say Oblivion and Skyrim

my opinion:
Skyrim as the most overrated game of this decade.
MW3 close second
GTA 4

*deleted*

I'll give it to Final Fantasy VII, merely because it's somehow managed to age well. Goldeneye, conversely, is remembered well, but the age lines started showing a long time ago haven't stopped coming. VII is aging, no doubt, but it's just below that "cougar" line, where it remembers being the hottest thing around, but isn't anymore, times having been a bit hard.

Wait...if FF VII is almost a cougar...

Does that make something like Chrono Trigger a Silver Fox?

MonkeyPunch:
Well I think one of it's merits, or better said one of the reasons why it was hailed as being great was the fact that it had four player - which was undoubtedly a lot of fun but I attribute that bonus more to the console it was on than anything else.

So I do agree that GoldenEye is a little overrated and think that a lot of what people liked about it had to do with the system it was on.

Then again without golden eye we wouldn't have Halo, GoW or RAGE, ID software would still make Qake and Epic would do UT...

OMG! Golden Eye is not overrated, it was the the ANTICHRIST! It should burn!!!111

Edit: BTW, Skyrim is an amazing game, one of the best EVER!!onene!

on the computer, with sck and heavily modded, otherwise i wouldnt even touch it

Edit 2:

Alakaizer:
Aw, come on, it's up to me to say it? Way most overrated game of all time: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

And there is your right answer. Was a good game, but nowhere near the praise it gets, even most of the Zelda fanboys will admit it wasn't the most innovative or the best of the series.

What was that comment about Linkin Park suppose to mean?

TimeLord:
I'm going to go with either Halo or Call Of Duty. That would have been a better debate, because whichever won, you still would have been right!

*Munching on orange chicken* Oh- Oi, it's Call of Duty hands down. Halo still can come on top since they've got such a variety of things to expand on, or work with because the game revolves around the Halo universe while Call of Duty is basically a very well made shooter but done over and over with just a different skin to cover that fact.

Also, selling 7 billion copies where it beat anything ever sold in history is sort of scary. Not that it's a bad thing.. but I mean, I wonder what makes COD that great where everyone wanted MW3? Still, props to the producers and hopefully these videos on No Right Answer will revolve more around game topics/debates! ^_^

Ocarina of Time, Half-Life, Secret of Monkey Island, Modern Warfare 3, GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 2. All worthy candidates in addition to the two discussed.

In defense of FF7: It has the best story of the FF franchise. (period) FF6 is its only competition. No game has better used its story as an allegory to examine the video game player without being outright hostile towards them (see MGS2).

Jenova remains one of the most compellingly mysterious RPG antagonists of all-time, cthulu-like in its origins and motivations, while the portrayal of Shinra is one of the most relevant and powerful video game critiques of corporations in our own societies.

Cloud is NOT the typical JRPG angsty emo kid because the game points to how pathetic his angst is and how he is in all likelihood repressing his homosexuality. Compare that to Squall who IS just a typical angsty emo kid. Meanwhile FF9 is frankly a kids story and the characters in FF10 are all unbearably annoying save for Auron and Kimahri (because he doesn't talk).

The battle mechanics are shallow and the 3d graphics are bad only in so far as the game has aged. Besides, no one tends to over-rate these aspects of the game.

Basically I'm suggesting that FF7 does in fact have one of the greatest stories in video game history, definitely a top fiver out of the games I've personally played. In virtue of that alone, I don't think it is too over-rated when people laud the story. Also, Nobuo Uematsu did the score and that's got to count for something!

Are any of those other over-rated games a top-5 in some key aspect of video gaming?

FF7, Halo, or Oblivion all come to mind...

The_root_of_all_evil:
Unsurprisingly, I disagree.

Goldeneye still has some really good things (The Pause music for a start)
FF7 still tells a story with some really tear-jerking moments.

You wanna know what's really over-rated?

This is the most exciting it gets. Dull, whiney, road movie of a game that seems to forget about stealing cars and turns it into Babysitter Missions ad nauseum.

It's a Birmingham New Street of a game, it's a Paris, Texas of a game, it's a Da Vinci Code of a game.

And it doesn't even have a good radio.

I agree completely. I found myself watching the in-game TV to avoid your cousin and other characters annoying me.

I am a huge FFVII fan though, not going to lie. My favorite thing about it was it had so much to do in it. Very few JRPGs bring that many different things to the table. Golden saucer, defending the reactor. Leveling material and raising chocobos. The ambiguity of Shinra. And the first game to creep me out in the Shinra building.

The problem with the Final Fantasy community is the same with CoD community (the people that like it): the community itself fights and bickers over the games, and then those outside the community jump on the bandwagon.

I love Chris even more now for two new reasons:
1) That shirt. I must have.
2) Sharing my opinion that FF6 is the best.

I love FF7, but it's not unfair to call it over-rated. Mainly because people seem to compare it to modern games. Ther are many ways and reasons that FF7 pales compared to modern games. That being said, at the time it was released it was completely worthy of respect. The game popularized RPGS. Brought them more mainstream. I love RPGs and without FF7 I might not. So, yes, FF7 holds a special place in my heart. But if people insist it is the best game of all time they are doing it no favors. Best RPG of its age or even best game of its age, you could argue, though.

So, you guys wanna do some more video game related episodes? Can I suggest Most Underrated Game for an episode? That could be a good follow up. I'd humbly suggest Suikoden II if not the Suikoden series. Also, Hardest Game of All Time. Okay, we already know it will be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the Nintendo, so maybe that isn't fair.

I would like to point out that FF7's Materia system got blasted for turning everyone into "the same people except Limit Breaks." FF6's Esper system had "the same people with different sub skills" got a free pass. The difference here is no one made a FUCKING MOVIE...and Kefka. Speaking of which, Advent Children sucks balls, even as fanservice products go. The game deserves praise for being the craziest, bloodiest, and most sexually perverse in the series. If Persona 3 and 4 got M ratings, VII sure fit that tone too. Compare VII to any shojo harem anime knockoff these days and VII beats them to death with stones.

I still find it strange Ocarina of Time didn't get put in this position. God knows those two games have been eternally linked in contest after contest since creation. I think the only reason Goldeneye was mentioned was so we avoid another "FFVII/OoT discussion."

WoW at least for me it felt very boring and kept me the least entertained out of all the mmos I have played. I was expecting more out of a franchise that has a such loyal fanbase I guess couldn't measure up to their build up.

Being partial for RPGs over FPSes, I have to say Goldeneye is the more overrated one.
Both are great games, but neither game holds up to today's standards, even if their graphics were up to date.
For their time though, they were fantastic.

JaceArveduin:
Soon as I saw the title, I instantly thought FFVII, and I've never even played any of the FF games. So yeah, gonna have to side with Chris here.

What.
You've never played the game but still think it's the one that's more overrated.
Good job.

Not a very well conducted debate to be honest, seemed almost like it was set up to blast Final Fantasy VII more than anything.

In the end the bottom line is both are aging games with substantial fan bases. Goldeneye should probably have "won" as being more overrated though given that it's had a remake which failed to sell, and has so far yet to carry any successful spin off property. Other games like "Perfect Dark" might have used a lot of the same code, but you didn't see an actual "Goldeneye Sidestory" or whatever being released successfully. On the other hand "Final Fantasy VII" has lead to literally decades of merchandise being moved, with other games... crap or not, being released to massive success not to mention multiple movies (like the anime movie versions of the Crisis Core story that never saw official US release... before you even get into Advent Children).

See, it's hard to say "Final Fantasy VII" wasn't all that, or hasn't stood up well, when you look at the juggernaut it turned into. Even if a remake was done, and it failed, it's impossible to say it hasn't carried more than Goldeneye ever did. Indeed Goldeneye is mostly notable as being one of the few movie tie-in games that didn't blow chips, it really innovated very little even if it did get attention due to it's liscence (as was mentioned), just about everything in Goldeneye had been done by someone beforehand.

Opinions vary, but I think this "debate" should have been conducted very differantly. I think part of the problem was Goldeneye was being treated as too much of a sacred cow by two FPS junkies. :)

That said, I was hoping for something a bit more recent and relevent, a Halo Vs. Mass Effect throw down (which someone mentioned dreading) would have been more entertaining.

When it comes to that paticular debate it's a hard one to call because your basically dealing with a shooter series that became a blockbuster by being the first mainstream FPS shooter that didn't blow chips on a console... and which was intentionally throwing out every sci-fi and shooter trope it could, and Mass Effect which was largely successful due to trying to imitate a series of RPGs the creator no longer had a single player liscence for, and which also proceeded to randomly toss out every science fiction trope they could. Halo being a retread of the space marine super-soldier, and Mass Effect being a science fiction shotgun trying to capture the magic of Star Wars without using any of it's IPs, and cribbing it's main bad guys/plotline from Fred Saberhagan's "Berserker" novels, hoping the audience would be too young to realize that and think yesterday's painful stereotype would come accross as being innovative (Saberhagan wrote a good number of Berserker novels and short stories, in the 1980s and early 1990s mentioning Berserkers among geeks playing tabletop sci-fi games like Traveller, was similar to mentioning Cthulhu in more fantasy oriented scenarios... more or less the quinteseential no-win scenario for all intents and purposes... even the development of the plot in Mass Effect bears some similarities to how the universe was eventually saved from The Berserkers... but I won't spoil plot details for those who might be interested in reading some truely classic stuff... which will also make you see Mass Effect from a somewhat differant perspective from then on if you had been lionizing it and the reapers as the most creative thing ever like many people hav... good series, especially when it was still an rPG as opposed to a cinematic shooter, but it is indeed highly overrated).

Denamic:

What.
You've never played the game but still think it's the one that's more overrated.
Good job.

Eyup, that's what happens when you end up with a handful of people who drool over the game. It can be good, yes, but it seems blown out of proportion to an extreme extent.

JaceArveduin:

Denamic:

What.
Good job.

Eyup, that's what happens when you end up with a handful of people who drool over the game. It can be good, yes, but it seems blown out of proportion to an extreme extent.

mhmm. know what else happens? It completely invalidates your opinion.

Vault101:
the term "over-rated" just seems to be a phrase we can use to take a stab at popular things we dont like...

This. This episode seemed more or less to give people an opportunity to play the role anti-fanboy. And look at how many people are eating it up. I am disappoint.

we need a disscussion about it? its freaken CALL OF DUTY, they have this one talent when creating there games, its called copy and paste

When played in 1997, FF7 had excellent graphics, a fantastic magic system (still one of the best), memorable characters (just try to argue against that one). It was influential in that it only brought JRPGs to the masses, as well as spawning many imitators afterward.

It's still the single highest selling FF game of all-time and is one of PSN's top downloads (if not number 1 overall - which it may actually be). People still have heated internet debates about it and the hate/fan dumb make videos about how awesome/overrated it is.

If anything, after 15 years, and it still manages to do this, you should feel ashamed for even considering it overrated...

While I won't comment too much on Goldeneye as I barely played it back then and never since. FPS isn't my bag. At the same time, it doesn't generate nearly the discussions that FFVII does. Is it overrated though? No, it just doesn't even register...

Personally I consider DA:O to be one of this gen's most overrated games. Boring gameplay, clusterfuck combat, LOTR story, characters ripped off from FFX, set to childish sex play (cause feeding gifts always scores the girl) and buckets of blood (ooh, how edgy - not).

JaceArveduin:

Denamic:

What.
Good job.

Like Skyrim, Mass Effect, Halo, COD or any other major release. But I digress...

You really don't know though, do you... since you know, you've never played it and have no understanding of the context of playing it in 1997. As I said above, any game that can generate the interest that FFVII does after being released for 15 years is not overrated in the slightest.

>Recolored enemies through FF7

...wat?

I think the wolves and fish-people did that...otherwise...errrr, no. <,<

As far as 'The first to do ________?' While other games may have spiky hair or big swords, FF7 made these things famous.

Also, each character DOES have different statistics and growth areas, much like Pokemon. Just because Ponyta and Growlithe can use the same moves, doesn't make them the same Pokemon, does it? Anybody with knowledge of the metagame will cockslap you if you suggest that they're the same.

Also, FF7 is a landmark title as its seen as the RPG that brought 3D to the genre.

This is why I have trouble watching this show, Chris is obnoxious and is awarded points for things he is wrong about. If he was in my nerdy group of friends he would be eaten alive. :U

AxelxGabriel:

veloper:
FF7 is a good candidate for most overrated. Only fair Goldeneye lost.

It's not hard to find too many games with perfect scores, so you should nominate that 10/10 game that was worst of the bunch.
I'd pick Oblivion in the RPG category, but FF7 can still compete for terrible dialogue, stupid plot, bad gameplay and overrated graphics.

Care to explain your points or just come off as an uninformed troll?

Sure, if you like.

Dialogues in Oblivion is soulless and uninspired and repeated by the same handful of "voice-actors", with the same NPCs even switching between accents and tone.
FF7 dialogues sometimes broach serious subjects, but the manner in which this is done is childish and inane. I get the target audience is kids, but even teenagers are smarter than that.
For Oblivion and FF7 both the dialogue problem can summarized as this: real people don't talk like that, it's like the writers have no clue about human interaction.

Plots for both games the plot can be summed up as big bad wants to rule the world and you have to stop it. As if we haven't done that many times before.

Gameplay. Oblivion doesn't have good twitch combat like Dark Messiah, but neither does it involve tactics. That leaves the only interesting piece of play could have come from building and progressing your character, but NPC and mobs that scale 1:1 with your character level put an end to that. It destroys any sense of progress and the player can simply underlevel to defeat the whole game. The dumbed down skillssets compared to the previous installments don't help here either.
FF7 combat is TB, which could be fine in itself, but that means challenge can only come from tactical encounters. This is not the case. Player options are too limited because similar to make the game deep. Worse still is throwing basicly the same encounter at the player again and again. That's just a complete waste of time, because you alreay figured out how to beat them the first time. Given what a repetitive treadmill FF7 is that makes it a mindless chore.

Graphics. Bethesada do the worst animation in the AAA games industry still to this date. Oblivion is no exception, with it's wooden characters. Character models and heads terrible and primitive hardware at the time is no excuse: compare to the heads and models in Half-life2 released a couple years earlier. All Oblivion had was some pretty, if uninspired, rural scenery and lot's of bloom and that alone was enough to the fans love it.
FF7's in-game visuals are a horrible, spiky and jagged mess. The prettier, non-interactive, cutscenes on the disc were enough to make the fans love it, but what they should have done instead is rent a movie.

Eh, I like FFVII. It was a good game.

I dont get why VI is so popular. It was fucking boring and had crap characters.

OT: I think Deus Ex or OoT are the most over-rated. Both are just awful

I thought our Kyle was not really doing a good job this time around, normally I can at least see the two been on the same level, but this time around he was just way behind. The arguments he came up with felt rather weak to me and it felt like he kept repeating them and sometimes something just came out of nothing (Halo 3 had too many corridors?). I am not a big fan of either games, but Chris literally made me doubt FF7 here, while Kyle was just confusing in general.

Also Chris, I only remember FF7 from Kingdom Hearts. Just sayin' ^^

I hope they do underrated titles next.

Seriously, no one ever gives any love for Rune Viking Warlord, or Gladius.

Not even the most fanatic FF 7 players, like myself, don't say that it is the best game of all times. Far from it. But it was a milestone in gaming. It put rpg on the map.

Rheinmetall:
Not even the most fanatic FF 7 players, like myself, don't say that it is the best game of all times. Far from it. But it was a milestone in gaming. It put rpg on the map.

Dungeons and Dragons already did that. Both on tabletop and on the screen.

Vault101:

This. Exactly this. I avoid using the term as much as possible to avoid coming across as an arrogant turd sitting on a pedestal of gaming enlightenment. I'm really not a fan of either the Halo or Assassin's Creed games, but I can see why they are so popular and me saying they are overrated, is pretty meaningless. But yes, I too shall get into the spirit of things by saying that all GTA games are overrated and anyone who likes them is herp-to-the-derp stupid and only I can see them for what they really are: overrated.

We need a Metal Gear Solid debate. Most divisive game? I don't know what would go on the other side (FFX?)

Simonoly:

Vault101:

This. Exactly this. I avoid using the term as much as possible to avoid coming across as an arrogant turd sitting on a pedestal of gaming enlightenment. I'm really not a fan of either the Halo or Assassin's Creed games, but I can see why they are so popular and me saying they are overrated, is pretty meaningless. But yes, I too shall get into the spirit of things by saying that all GTA games are overrated and anyone who likes them is herp-to-the-derp stupid and only I can see them for what they really are: overrated.

I'm not convinced, they liked Golden Eye. I like Skyrim but is it the best thing since cream sauce? Probably not. GTA IV is the most highly rated metacritic game ever. It's fun, but is it that good? No it's pretty darn flawed.

I enjoyed FFVII a lot but it can't be the one JRPG to judge all other JRPGs with. Planescape...Planescape might deserve it's praise, the combat is terrible but there is so much good I think it deserves to be known as one of the best written games ever

EDIT: Hmm you are write with some things. If I were to call CoD or Halo overrated I would be doing this. I think the difference is that there really is a large established base that don't like Halo/CoD so it's not actually overrated, because you know, the dislike is well established. And the people who like CoD and Halo don't think it's overrated which is a huge thing, because you can find plenty of people who like FFVII but recognise it's not what people say it is.

I think in many respects the difference is, Halo and CoD aren't overrated. For what they're famous for, tight set-pieces and revolutionising online multiplayer, well yeah they do do that. There are other multiplayer experiences you might prefer but they are different rather than outright better. Team Fortress 2, Battlefield, they're offering things which CoD isn't, not beating CoD

The interexchangeability of each character or better said, every character could be used for the same is awesome, because you are not stuck with certain characters you might not like to play with. (ok, almost... Cloud you had to play with)

So i was always going with Tifa and Red XIII, my brother with Cid and Barret and my friends with some other combination and everyone could enjoy the game to the fullest without being limited, f.e. being stuck with some annoying chick because she is the only capable healer and so on.

But thats just that and even though i still think that FFVII was one of the best games EVAR, i have to say that i think its the most overrated game, because you cant go Final Fantasy xyz without someone going "FFVII thisīnīthat, so awesome, best game, etc etc" and the alone from the sheer amount of how often this happens it just deserves that title.

and Chris, weak love man... weak love... i declare that you fell down the pit of lamers filled with twelve year xbox live kiddies.

These are both games with historical significance to the genre, gaming as a whole, and the culture. I never understood the point of going after old games as if they're over-rated because the tech and features behind them aren't cutting edge 15+years later especially in an age where people are creaming their pants over "nostalgia" games and such so frequently.

If someone painted the Mona Lisa today, the artistic community would just assume wipe their ass with it, let alone consider it one of the most important pieces of art ever done. You can't judge historical pieces by modern day conventions.

JaceArveduin:
Soon as I saw the title, I instantly thought FFVII, and I've never even played any of the FF games.

This and Ocarina of Time were the two titles that sprang to mind instantly. I think a damning factor is that he's wearing a friggin' FF7-inpsired shirt (and not a very amusing one) while trying to condemn the game as being overrated.

There were so many flaws in FF7 that it balanced out the really good materia system and the excellent soundtrack, making it neither great nor awful and rounding out at average or mediocre at best. Mind you, the fact that 3-D RPGs became the new standard as a result haven't helped me fall in love with it either, but it isn't even the best example of an early generation 3-D game. The visuals were pretty awful outside the cutscenes, and they couldn't even fit everything onto 3 discs (which is why the extra characters never had cutscene time). The translation was pretty poor, far worse than some of the SNES RPGs. Don't get me started on how the franchise is being milked to death, either. I don't want the game remade, cause they'll just make it worse (like their "remake" of FF4, or their encorporating Chrono Cross crap into the DS version of Chrono Trigger).

As for Ocarina of Time, it was a decent game and certainly started a trend for Zelda games to come. That could be viewed as both good and bad, considering how few 2-D entries there have been since then. Not unlike how we've kind of had to write off 2-D Metroid titles, and Nintendo's last few entries have been subpar at best. But Ocarina? Poor writing, horrid ending, and very little character development. Majora's Mask outdid it in every way except possibly length.

EDIT: I should add that while I am a bit vitreous about some older games it isn't just for stuff like I mentioned above. It's cause you cannot have a new title released without all the gods-damned "fans" obsessing over a specific entry and saying how it'll "never top it", ala Ocarina of Time. Or, as I said earlier, milking it to death as Final Fantasy VII has seen, and IV to a lesser extent. I miss the days when Final Fantasy games didn't get sequels, they had proper endings, and would focus on fleshing everything out within each game.

I also wish people would get over Ocarina of Time already and acknowledge that some other games in the series have done as good if not better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here