Miracle of Sound: You Died (Dark Souls)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I liked the first lyrical section (the "You Died" parts) as it flowed like something straight out of a Disney villain song, but I felt like the final section was a subdued buildup that just ended when there should have been a return to the first part (though I guess this kind of fits with the Dark Souls vibe of expecting to continue only to suddenly die).

Awesome tune! Perfectly captures what it's like to play Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is easy.

I quite liked this one... might just be me, but I'm drawing a fair few parallels between the song and your Dark Souls Failthrough, Gav. =D

This style is new to me, since you're usually doing rock-like techno for each game (hopefully I got that right, correct me otherwise.) Dark Souls is challenging and I can't blame you for deciding how you're going to play the song out.

Even though this song was good, but not one of your bests- it does get the point across. Die, go back, relive the painful moment all over and start again. Makes me cringe, since I have heard the stories of how ridiculous Dark Souls is. Good job, yet songs like these don't go well with me.. mm.

You really captured the essence of the game and its promary mechanic. Kudos.I dug how Ominous the intor was, it makes fro a darkly comic turn when the song proper kicks in.

I love this one! It had a totally unique theme to it, an AWESOME intro, and the vocals took off
in their own direction! The visuals were great too, I laughed at all the possible deaths there
are in Dark Souls. Never actually played but the footage was enough for me not to consider it. Excellent song again!

Haha i found it very funny. Hope that was the intended feeling.

I lost it at "Graveyard to explore... HAHA DENIED!" So true. I don't think there's a single Dark Souls player who has not died in the graveyard at the very beginning of the game.
A trollface should have been added to the video every time "YOU DIED" was sung.

So, have you finished Dark Souls?

This looks like it's really not fun to play.

The intro is 1/3rd of the song what is a little bit long in my opinion and than the song goes in a super speed up it seems and then it is over so yeah imo a small 6 out of 10

Well damn, this is another reason added to an already pretty big list of things why i want Dark Souls to be ported to the PC...
Also, most of what Ive seen about Dark Souls came from your Let`s Plays, haven`t even played it myself, but the song did have quite a feeling of, well, despair? Not sure, but it really did remind me of the trailers and stuff Ive seen of the game. So, yeah. Id say well done, again, Gav. This was enjoyable!

370999:
I'm sorry Gavin I didn't like it that much. It seemed, I dunno, kind of jokey with the "YOU DIED" lines,

It was jokey.

megarik:
The intro is 1/3rd of the song what is a little bit long in my opinion and than the song goes in a super speed up it seems and then it is over so yeah imo a small 6 out of 10

Hmm people are really missing the point of this song. Guess I should have made it simpler to understand and not trust in peoples' ability to hear the aural gags in the music itself...

Adric Cluff:
You really captured the essence of the game and its promary mechanic. Kudos.I dug how Ominous the intor was, it makes fro a darkly comic turn when the song proper kicks in.

... or maybe not. Seems the people who played the game get it.

OuendanCyrus:
Dark Souls is easy.

You're cool.

Delock:
I felt like the final section was a subdued buildup that just ended when there should have been a return to the first part (though I guess this kind of fits with the Dark Souls vibe of expecting to continue only to suddenly die).

EXACTLY ;) That was the whole point.

MiracleOfSound:

370999:
I'm sorry Gavin I didn't like it that much. It seemed, I dunno, kind of jokey with the "YOU DIED" lines,

It was jokey.

Kay. My taste then, it was as lyrically inventive as always.

It's a funny song. Haven't played the game (and don't mean to) but I get that it reflects the gameplay.

On another note, maybe I'm some other place nowadays, but at first I purchased several of the songs (Little Sister, Wasteland Soul, etc), but for some months now I haven't felt inclined to add any of the songs to my personal library. Maybe something changed in the composition style that I'm just not meshing with anymore. Ah well, I'll just enjoy them over here.

EDIT: except Black Gold. That's one of my all time favorites.

Wilhelm Figge:
Liked it and i haven't even played the game. Like "Joker's Song" it has a Danny Elfman vibe to it.

Same here.

I got that vibe to it as well. It also seemed to have a castlevania-esque tone to it as well.

Still amazing work.

I honestly wasn't sure how you were going to do this one but I think you captured the spirit (soul?) of the game really well. The ending felt a tad sudden, but that's rather appropriate considering it's Dark Souls. I didn't like the YOU DIED lines, they seemed out of place with the feel of the rest of the song (especially after the intro) but they grew on me quite a bit. Nicely done. ;D

I... have no words... except perhaps...

Praise the sun.

Really diggin' this one, I laughed when I heard the first "YOU DIED!" and then cried a little because I remembered dying a lot. The lyrics were really good, and the beginning reminded me of one of the first boss battles.

On par with the Sovngarde song, in my humble opinion.

Perfectly explains the feeling of the game, sorta menacing and awestruck, but funny due to the rapid successions of death.

I was expecting some kind of metal, but this was actually a pleasant surprise. Feels exactly how your LP did. Although I wish it would've gone back to the first two verses sometime, they were great.

EDIT:

MiracleOfSound:

Delock:
I felt like the final section was a subdued buildup that just ended when there should have been a return to the first part (though I guess this kind of fits with the Dark Souls vibe of expecting to continue only to suddenly die).

EXACTLY ;) That was the whole point.

Or that. That works too.

While the phrasing is awkward to anyone who hasn't played the game, that was pretty spot on Gav, gold star!

*puts a gold star onto the mass of gold stars protruding several meters from Gav's head*

Love your music Gav, but I was not a fan of this one, the lyrics were great as always but the music didn't grab me at all.

I have to say, I'm loving this new orchestral thing you're doing. It probably wouldn't have been easy to capture the mood of Dark Souls with your usual rock sound, so this worked out perfectly. I'd complain about it being too short, but it actually works since I couldn't play Dark Souls for too much before throwing my controller against the wall.

I finally got the platinum in Dark Souls today. Nice song to celebrate with. :)

I finally got the platinum in Dark Souls today. Nice song to celebrate with. :)

I don't know. I watched a walkthrough of the game, and it looks pretty simple. :)

I love the orchestra type theme on this.

Can't say I much cared for the beginning of the vocals, but they seem to have improved over the course of the song.

Basically, not one of your best and yet still wildly entertaining.

Love it Gav. It's hilarious. Playing that game, I love imagining an anthropomorphic Death laughing at you as you fail and fail and fail again, and letting you try again just for more giggles.

To be honest, when I heard the intro I wasn't sure your voice would suit the song. Glad you proved me wrong.

I really liked this one. I particularly loved the way you laughed

I am noticing a pattern of liking the songs that are more based on games I've played. For instance, I love anything you've made about Skyrim, Batman, or Mass Effect. I even enjoyed Fire in Your Hole, though I've never played Bulletstorm nor have any interest in doing so. But I did play the demo and watch all the trailers and footage before making that decision, so I at least got the game. But this? Never played Dark Souls, never seen any trailers, no interest in it whatsoever. Once you start signing, I found it hilarious, especially the opening lyrics, but the rest, eh. Not my favorite.

Ah well. My loss.

EDIT: Actually, what this reminds me of most is Warhammer, with the over-the-top tone.

Nice, Gavin.

This song is pretty fucking Nito.

Loved the music, and while I wouldn't say it was your best work, I still enjoyed the halting kind of style you had with the vocals.
Out of curiosity, is that line "come have a go if you think you're hard enough" a reference to the Skulduggery Pleasant novels, or is that just more common over in Britain?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here