Miracle of Sound: You Died (Dark Souls)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

dancinginfernal:
Nice, Gavin.

This song is pretty fucking Nito.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

From the responses I've skimmed, it seems that what people didn't like was the "YOU DIED" part. Funny thing is, that's my favorite part.

What's going on here?!

MiracleOfSound:
-snip-

I can't believe so many people are missing the point of this song. I was laughing pretty hard at it and I've never played Dark Souls or Demons Souls.

It was funny to me, good work.

To people trying to compare this to stuff like Normandy or Sovngarde Song: Not every song has to be super-serious. Let the man have some fun sometimes between his epic ones.

Uh, this song is too hard for me to listen. (get it? "too hard" *wink-wink* like the game? ... oh come on!)

the big fluffeh:
I'm sorry, but all i could think about was:

I had a cat named Snowball...
She died!
She died!
Mom said she was sleeping...
She lied!
She lied!
Why oh why is my cat dead?
Couldn't that Chrysler hit me instead?

Source: http://vimeo.com/3019157

Lol thank you for that. That was halarious. Dammit i can't get that out of my head now.

370999:
I'm sorry Gavin I didn't like it that much. It seemed, I dunno, kind of jokey with the "YOU DIED" lines, I dunoo I haven't played the game but the tone of the song seemed a bit different from the images on the screen.

thats the whole point its like "HAHAHA YOU DIED" because of the sadistic nature of the gane, the sarcastic humour

also completly radom question (for those who have)'

I "think" the clip of that girl caressing the face of the dead warior was from the very start..is that suposed to be the PC? I cant exactally remember

Hehe, I like how the lyric tempo matches the songs tempo.
And... dare I say it reminds me of the Hammer Horror movies or at least some Gothic Scenery?
I guess it does.

Also, Dark Souls isn't that bad once you realise the key to winning. . . Riposte & backstabs :3
^-^ Loved this song, especially since it's been an agonizing New Game +++++ to get all the achievements (I messed up twice on the Soul of Sif weapons.. Oddly enough I did get every bossweapon on the first playthrough.. huh...)

brunothepig:

Out of curiosity, is that line "come have a go if you think you're hard enough" a reference to the Skulduggery Pleasant novels, or is that just more common over in Britain?

Well I'm Irish but yeah, it's kind of an expression over here and I'm sure we more than likely adopted it from Britain!

Now this was cool. Slightly adams family but still very very cool

It's fucking amazing how diverse you are. Especially these last few songs have so completely broken the mold that i'm now convinced there are no genres of music you cannot do. I don't know of any artist able to make so many kinds of music so well.

A song about how difficult Dark Souls is, and no Bed of Chaos (The final step toward beating this boss is to jump a bottomless pit past the thing's two giant scythe arms and on to a fairly small platform that leads to the boss's heart), Stray Demon (ridiculous ammount of health, physical and magic damage, plenty of reach in a tight space) or Four Kings (has a lot of health, a magic sword, there's four of them, and they all gang up on you)? You didn't even show any of the horrors of blighttown! Then again, if you had shown any scene from BLighttown, no one would ever pick up this game.

Very disappointed that you didn't show that one death of yours where you jumped on the Taurus demon and bounced off the bridge. That was hilarious. Great job though.

This song speaks to me in so many ways that it's ridiculous.

First we have the intro that could summarize the game by itself; dark, ominous and unforgiving. Since both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are games that tell the story with little to no words at all I can see no better way to open up.

Then follows the first verse and the feeling that the game is taunting us. You died before the game even started and if you didn't play Demon's Souls you most likely died during your first real encounter with an enemy during the tutorial, which just happened to be a boss monster. And how many have not been killed after pressing the start button, thinking the game is paused?

This mental torturing continues throughout the game, and you will find yourself walking around slowly with shield raised at all times basically crawling around corners. The player's despair is clearly heard in the lyrics, as well as the feeling of accomplishment when you finally defeat a boss (the "look to the sun's rays..." part as a reference to the oh so common phrase "Praise the Sun").

The song's pace is a lot like your life in Dark Souls: You start out with the paranoia and darkness, then suddenly everything is chaos before you realize which ends in a sudden death.

I dare say the only thing this song is lacking is a voice clip of Gavin raging on his controller during his playthrough added to the end of the song.

Larcenist:
This song speaks to me in so many ways that it's ridiculous.

First we have the intro that could summarize the game by itself; dark, ominous and unforgiving. Since both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are games that tell the story with little to no words at all I can see no better way to open up.

Then follows the first verse and the feeling that the game is taunting us. You died before the game even started and if you didn't play Demon's Souls you most likely died during your first real encounter with an enemy during the tutorial, which just happened to be a boss monster. And how many have not been killed after pressing the start button, thinking the game is paused?

This mental torturing continues throughout the game, and you will find yourself walking around slowly with shield raised at all times basically crawling around corners. The player's despair is clearly heard in the lyrics, as well as the feeling of accomplishment when you finally defeat a boss (the "look to the sun's rays..." part as a reference to the oh so common phrase "Praise the Sun").

The song's pace is a lot like your life in Dark Souls: You start out with the paranoia and darkness, then suddenly everything is chaos before you realize which ends in a sudden death.

I dare say the only thing this song is lacking is a voice clip of Gavin raging on his controller during his playthrough added to the end of the song.

You sir, understand this song perfectly.

While not your best piece, I must say I really love this one. Few songs capture the feel of a game as well as this, with all the mocking etc. If anything, this makes me want to yell "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!". Great work.

On different note, might you consider making a little parody of this by slightly altering the lyrics to be CoD related (e.g. A 'capture-point' to explore... HAHA DENIED. // Out of your 'spawn' you ran and then
YOU DIED.)?

I can imagine it being quite amusing.

Ah, Dark Souls...

The very definition of the phrase "Suspicious Videogame Generosity"

I don't watch every one of these... but I've really enjoyed the ones I have watched.

It makes me reflect more on how much I disliked Rebecca Muses' work.

"And die another gruesome death
So now you creep around each corner terrified"

That line just makes me laugh.

Darth IB:
If you had kept the "YOU DIED" pattern up throughout all the verses, that would have been absolutely awesome.
It's still a great song, mind you, but I like that part the most.

Funny how divided people are over this point. Someone above just said that it sounded like a Disney evil guy song and preferred the slower stuff. I personally agree with you though. I think it has to do with all these people telling Gavin that he is repetitive in his songwriting.

I really like the dark gloomy tone of this song. Fits the world of the game to a T. To the point I'd say this might as well be an official piece for the game.

Also, lyrics are spot on.

excelent as always one of my favorites. do you think you could do a song based on space marine?

I liked it, but I still think it was a little schizophrenic. It starts out kinda jokey with the "YOU DIED" lines, so you kinda begin to think that's where the song is going, but then it goes into something a little bit more somber. Still good, but kinda I still felt the it was a little misleading.

I've only WATCHED a friend play through Dark Souls on a shitty webcam,but DAMN I feel this song fits the game perfectly. Even the basic enemies can easily and messily kill you. The bosses can do it with a gesture. Even when fighting smart,you die. It's like...

The game is alive.

Loved the song never played dark souls but I want to but after this song and playing mass effect's feros as a long ranged sniper I can imagine the cusses, so much cussing. Might get gamefly and get this game first. at first the song was just ok then it got drilled into my head and now i love it.

RTR:
Still good, but kinda I still felt the it was a little misleading.

...just like Dark Souls ;)

Riddle78:
I've only WATCHED a friend play through Dark Souls on a shitty webcam,but DAMN I feel this song fits the game perfectly. Even the basic enemies can easily and messily kill you. The bosses can do it with a gesture. Even when fighting smart,you die. It's like...

The game is alive.

It really is.

You can't even pause it. If you have to leave it for a while you have to just let it sit there, living, breathing, waiting knowingly for you to come back for more torture.

I really liked this one!

I've not played Dark Souls but it really seems to have nailed the theme of it, even if musically it's a bit tough to get into (a bit like, what was that game again?). It's a shame you can't really do more follow up songs because I'd love 3 or 4 on each game to make mini-albums but this in particular seems to want some kind of sequel.

Rack:
I've not played Dark Souls but it really seems to have nailed the theme of it, even if musically it's a bit tough to get into (a bit like, what was that game again?). It's a shame you can't really do more follow up songs because I'd love 3 or 4 on each game to make mini-albums but this in particular seems to want some kind of sequel.

There's always possibilities to do more than one song on a game, for example I have 2 on Skyrim and 2 more coming, I have 2 on Fallout 3 and 2 on ME2 :)

I enjoyed Dark Souls intensely. The game is brutal, but typically quite fair. 90% of my deaths could be attributed to my own clumsy stupidity. There are only a few occasions where you have to learn about something the hard way and could not possibly have known before hand.

But there is nothing more satisfying in a game experience than my learning curve. My first playthrough, the second boss stomped all over me 5-10 times before I managed to fell him. By my second and third characters, I mopped the floor with him and every other enemy. Sure the game was still dangerous and even brief moments of ignorance can get you murdered, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

I can understand that some people wouldn't like the jokey tone of the song, but I kinda liked it - it suits my rather cynical character. I am yet to play the game, but when I get around to buying it I am almost certain this song will be one of few things keeping me sane and going

MiracleOfSound:

There's always possibilities to do more than one song on a game, for example I have 2 on Skyrim

Yeah I know but I was thinking more than that

MiracleOfSound:

and 2 more coming

:)

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Punch You:
A song about how difficult Dark Souls is, and no Bed of Chaos (The final step toward beating this boss is to jump a bottomless pit past the thing's two giant scythe arms and on to a fairly small platform that leads to the boss's heart), Stray Demon (ridiculous ammount of health, physical and magic damage, plenty of reach in a tight space) or Four Kings (has a lot of health, a magic sword, there's four of them, and they all gang up on you)? You didn't even show any of the horrors of blighttown! Then again, if you had shown any scene from BLighttown, no one would ever pick up this game.

I think the less said about Bed of Chaos and Blight town, the better. Those are the only two parts of the game I genuinely didn't enjoy for obvious reasons. I did heart this song though.

You listen to this song, AND THEN YOU DIE

While the song is good (I especially like the lyrics), it was a tad too psychedelic for a Dark Souls song, and not enough dark. Though I've read someone say it's "very dark and foreboding", so I guess to each his own.

Love this song. It really captures how sudden and inevitable death is in this game. Also love this part:

Look to the sun's rays
Behold and offer praise
Look to the sun's rays
Comfort in the glow

To me it just gives the feeling of desperation that you sometimes feel when playing this game. Especially when you finally reach a safe place and realize how nervous and tense you've been the entire time. I also read what you wrote about how the flow of this song is designed to match the flow of the game and it makes me appreciate it even more. Good stuff, keep it up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here