Dear Esther Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3

10 euros is too much for a short game. And Dear Esther isn't even that good a game. It's average. The Stanley parable, for instance is better.

The_root_of_all_evil:

blackdwarf:

So yeah, maybe dear Esther is a game,

Maybe; I'd say it is.

I personally wouldn't say it's a game.

Imbechile:

I personally wouldn't say it's a game.

Imbechile:
10 euros is too much for a short game. And Dear Esther isn't even that good a game. It's average. The Stanley parable, for instance is better.

Uh, yes you did. See how tough it is?

The "Game" isnt a "Game" at all. There is zero challenge, zero depth, zero risk. You walk .. WALK from 1 side of a DESERTED ISLAND to another. I dont care how "pretty" the visuals are.. I can see better anytime I want by simply walking out my front door.

Bottom line is this "game" isnt worth paying for. Ever.

nazgull2k1:
The "Game" isnt a "Game" at all. There is zero challenge, zero depth, zero risk. You walk .. WALK from 1 side of a DESERTED ISLAND to another. I dont care how "pretty" the visuals are.. I can see better anytime I want by simply walking out my front door.

Bottom line is this "game" isnt worth paying for. Ever.

Clearly you and I have been presented different games, because the focus of Dear Esther isn't the graphics. Or maybe you just completely missed the point.

Actual art bores kids. That's why games which are art are so convenient, kids don't have to feel ignorant anymore - their toys cover that! But unfortunately, those are still toys.

While I enjoyed the experience of playing Dear Esther, I can't help but feel a little twinge of disappointment when people tout this as a shining example of how games can be art. Nearly all of the artistic aspects of Dear Esther can be replicated in other mediums. Meanwhile, the one great strength of video games (interaction) is arbitrarily limited.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Here's a simpler one:

Dear Esther is a more complicated version of this; with better view, a randomised monologue, a storyline and a haunting soundtrack.

Why does that make it so difficult to call it a game?

Actually I don't see why the above is a game at all. There's a goal, I suppose, but where are the choices (IE the opportunities for interaction)? By the above logic couldn't the "virtual tours" you sometimes see on museum websites also be considered games?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)