Jimquisition: Mass Effect 3: A Gay Erotic Love Story

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 18 NEXT

xXxJessicaxXx:

Xanthious:

Rainboq:
One: Gays are a fairly significant percentage of the population. Two: Those things you mentioned are ILLEGAL.

Hey those are just options. They wouldn't affect your Shepard. You dont like em don't use em. As for being illega, well we illegal things in games all the time so I fail to see how that's relevant. What you and those like you are really saying though isn't let's be open minded and accommodate all sorts of different people but rather simply just to accommodate you and those like you while everyone else can piss off.

Homosexuality is not the same as pedophilia and bestiality due to their non-consensual nature. Your point is moot. Morally it's similar to the reason we can't officially kill children or torture animals in games.

In a game they are exactly the same. Just ones and zeros. In reality there may be but in a game all that changes is the pixels. Again, why does one minority group deserve special treatment over any other. I say accommodate em all.

You know it's funny. I just pre-ordered ME3 earlier today. Didn't feel to gay. But looking at my pre-order receipt now, I have to admit. I'm slightly excited to do the gay sex to Garrus!

Xanthious:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Xanthious:

Hey those are just options. They wouldn't affect your Shepard. You dont like em don't use em. As for being illega, well we illegal things in games all the time so I fail to see how that's relevant. What you and those like you are really saying though isn't let's be open minded and accommodate all sorts of different people but rather simply just to accommodate you and those like you while everyone else can piss off.

Homosexuality is not the same as pedophilia and bestiality due to their non-consensual nature. Your point is moot. Morally it's similar to the reason we can't officially kill children or torture animals in games.

In a game they are exactly the same. Just ones and zeros. In reality there may be but in a game all that changes is the pixels. Again, why does one minority group deserve special treatment over any other. I say accommodate em all.

No they aren't, otherwise there wouldn't be rules about putting such things in games. It isn't illegal to show homosexuality.

secretsantaone:

Vault101:

Volf:
I didn't make a comment about the option for being gay, I made a comment about a sweeping generalization.

well you seem to have a problem with the whole thing

secretsantaone:

Not if it comes at the expense of a poorer quality game.

for fucks sake...its not going to ruin the game...in previous games you could bang aliens now if that didnt ruin the game (which surprise surprise it didnt) then I dont see how shepard having a 30 second scene with another man is going to ruin the game

Because it's not a 30 second scene. It's a series of dialogue trees, written scenarios, coding, animations, voice acting and testing, all of which takes up a lot of development time. Development time which could have been spent adding more content or improving on existing content.

Add into that the excuses Bioware will have to write up due to not making any mention of it in the previous 2 games, the possibilities of falsely initiating it just by being friendly ala DA2 and the obvious pandering to knee-jerk accusations of homophobia, it all seems more trouble than it's worth. Does the gay community now feel vindicated because a virtual character can stick it up a guys arse?

Would the Day 1 dlc have been in the main game if Bioware didn't feel they had to put a gay romance in?

But it's ok to have all those things for Heterosexual couples?

Volf:

jovack22:

Volf:
You made a sweeping generalization that homosexuality has never hurt anybody, I called bs because it has(i.e. people have committed crimes because of it). Now I'm not saying that all homosexuals are bad people(because their not) just that it is ignorant of you to say that no homosexual has ever hurt anybody because their homosexual.

I hope you understand that sexual crimes are largely committed by straight people.

Not because straight people are more likely to be deviants, but because the percentage of straight is larger than gay, where I'm willing to wager the percentage of sex criminals is probably roughly similar.

I do realize that, which is why I would never say that heterosexuality has never harmed anybody, because obviously it has. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I'm saying that heterosexuality/homosexuality=sexual crimes, it just means that a persons sexual desire/lust/preference has hurt a few people.

Would you say the same of a straight person? i.e, that their heterosexuality caused them to commit a crime?

this was the most hilarious episode ive seen in a long time. i look forward to buying your book from amazon.

i was on the fence about mass effect 3, but now im sold

Tanakh:

Rainboq:
Good point, unless you happen to be bisexual/pansexual/omnisexual.

Yeah, well, it's something that i know i should do, like going to the dentist, fighting in a bar and jumping off a plane. And while there has been here and there (throught the years) offers of both casual gay sex and casual straight sex i have only taken the latter.

I know man on man would be a new experience, i know i love trying new experiences, but doing a guy or getting done by one is hasn't been attractive so far. Maybe someday I'll meet a gay/bi guy who will change my mind... but starting to doubt it.

That's just entropy, and it sounds like a dash of social pressures as well. But really, you really shouldn't feel forced to do anything.
Also

Tanakh:

Volf:
Your arguing over symantics now.

No, he is saying gay assholes don't do fucked up shit due being gays, but due being assholes, same as straight assholes don't ruffie girls due being straight.

Volf:
It's not him, though. It's Shepard.

It's still his image, and he should have final say over that. Actually if Bioware really want this option in the first game, why not just get a model that was ok with it?

And he has it, no one is going to pound your straight Shep ass if you don't want it to happen. As for modding the previous games? Because they are cheap, if they modded all the games before to include a gay shep from the beggining i wouldn't mind the retcon so much.[/quote]Thanks for defending that, the support means a lot to me!

I......uh......I......
I'm at a loss for words right now. I think I need to go lie down.

xXxJessicaxXx:
No they aren't, otherwise there wouldn't be rules about putting such things in games. It isn't illegal to show homosexuality.

You are aware rules and laws are constantly changing and altering to the current norm and that just because RIGHT NOW there is a rule about it =/= it is necessarily "right"?

there were once laws saying people could be enslaved
there were once rules saying women weren't people
etc. etc.
and they all changed

Not that I want that stuff in game myself, I am just pointing that out.

secretsantaone:

Rainboq:

Xanthious:

Well if we accomodatd your Shepard then what about the people that want to be able to bugger livestock with their Shepard? Are they not as important as the gay crowd? What about the people out there that want a pedo Shepard? Do we accommodate them too and maybe throw a couple little boys on the ship? These are all just options after all.

One: Gays are a fairly significant percentage of the population. Two: Those things you mentioned are ILLEGAL.

Foot fetishists are fairly common too, do we need a foot sex scene?

That would mean that someone prominent within the company would want that, or there would have to be a large public outcry over it.

Xanthious:

Rainboq:

Xanthious:

Well if we accomodatd your Shepard then what about the people that want to be able to bugger livestock with their Shepard? Are they not as important as the gay crowd? What about the people out there that want a pedo Shepard? Do we accommodate them too and maybe throw a couple little boys on the ship? These are all just options after all.

Its not that I do or don't want to accommodate those people, but games with that sort of content would lose first amendment protection and be taken off of shelves.

Volf:

Rainboq:
I said homosexuality in and of itself. Meaning that homosexuality itself means nothing other than attraction. Context is important, and without context, something like homosexuality means little other than an attribute of ones character, like a preference towards a certain colour or genre. Harmless by itself, but it can potentially have consequences for those who are homosexual (see centuries of prosecution and execution) and the actions of those who are (Like rape, for example).

I'm arguing semantics because you misunderstood and misconstrued my argument.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Xanthious:

Rainboq:

what? So why can we torture people in video games(the Punisher for PS2)? I don't that the characters in the game would be willing to be tortured.

Zachary Amaranth:

secretsantaone:

Well would that have been in and some other DLC be released at launch instead?

And we're getting further down the rabbit hole.

Does Occam's Razor mean anything to you?

The hell does Occam's Razor have to do with anything? It has no relevance in the context that I was talking about, let alone is it some be all and end all to arguments.

Stop saying things to seem smarter than you are.

secretsantaone:

Vault101:

for fucks sake...its not going to ruin the game...in previous games you could bang aliens now if that didnt ruin the game (which surprise surprise it didnt) then I dont see how shepard having a 30 second scene with another man is going to ruin the game

Because it's not a 30 second scene. It's a series of dialogue trees, written scenarios, coding, animations, voice acting and testing, all of which takes up a lot of development time. Development time which could have been spent adding more content or improving on existing content.

Add into that the excuses Bioware will have to write up due to not making any mention of it in the previous 2 games, the possibilities of falsely initiating it just by being friendly ala DA2 and the obvious pandering to knee-jerk accusations of homophobia, it all seems more trouble than it's worth. Does the gay community now feel vindicated because a virtual character can stick it up a guys arse?

Would the Day 1 dlc have been in the main game if Bioware didn't feel they had to put a gay romance in?

Volf:

jovack22:

I hope you understand that sexual crimes are largely committed by straight people.

Not because straight people are more likely to be deviants, but because the percentage of straight is larger than gay, where I'm willing to wager the percentage of sex criminals is probably roughly similar.

I do realize that, which is why I would never say that heterosexuality has never harmed anybody, because obviously it has. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I'm saying that heterosexuality/homosexuality=sexual crimes, it just means that a persons sexual desire/lust/preference has hurt a few people.

Would you say the same of a straight person? i.e, that their heterosexuality caused them to commit a crime?

I believe I did just that when I responded to jovack22

xXxJessicaxXx:

Xanthious:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Thete are no such rules in place. In the US that'd all be covered by freedom of expression.

What gets me is the same people who celebrated getting a gay Shepard are showing just how hypocritical they are. You wanted the line pushed forward and attacked those that wanted to keep it where it was. Now that you got what you want you are all for denying people the same thing. Why is it that you get say on what should or shouldn't be put in the game when you've already forced your options on others.

Rainboq:

Volf:

Rainboq:
I said homosexuality in and of itself. Meaning that homosexuality itself means nothing other than attraction. Context is important, and without context, something like homosexuality means little other than an attribute of ones character, like a preference towards a certain colour or genre. Harmless by itself, but it can potentially have consequences for those who are homosexual (see centuries of prosecution and execution) and the actions of those who are (Like rape, for example).

No you made it sound like no homosexual person has ever committed a sexually based crime before, which I called bullshit on.

secretsantaone:

Vault101:

If it's already been established in a previous game, yes. Do I think they should add more heterosexual relationships in game 3 at the expense of development time? No.

Volf:

secretsantaone:

Volf:

I apologize. It's a very long thread, it would not surprise me if I missed a couple posts.

However, there's one slight thing I need to argue:

Volf:

Rainboq:

Volf:

No you made it sound like no homosexual person has ever committed a sexually based crime before, which I called bullshit on.

Just because a crime is sexually based does not mean that a person's orientation is the cause. It's incidental, it's the fact that the person is fucked up that is the actual cause.

Volf:

Rainboq:

Volf:

No, what I said was that homosexuality is nothing but an adjective. It has, nor done anything other than mean that a being is attracted to another of the same sex. Therefore, it is not a bad thing itself. What people do with that attraction is not the fault of homosexuality itself.

Rainboq:

secretsantaone:

Rainboq:

That would mean that someone prominent within the company would want that, or there would have to be a large public outcry over it.

So what you're basically saying is that the only reason there's a gay romance in Mass Effect 3 is because gay people are more whiny?

i can't beleive i sat through that

what was the point again?
was it commenting on all the idiots who complain about the option to be gay in Video games, cause those voices aren't really that much of an issue

Volf:

But it's ok to have all those things for Heterosexual couples?Would you say the same of a straight person? i.e, that their heterosexuality caused them to commit a crime?

I apologize. It's a very long thread, it would not surprise me if I missed a couple posts.

Volf:

Rainboq:

Just because a crime is sexually based does not mean that a person's orientation is the cause. It's incidental, it's the fact that the person is fucked up that is the actual cause.

The claim was that no homosexual has ever committed a sexually based crime was what I was calling bullshit on

I'm pretty sure no one actually has problems with ME3 having homo relationships in it. Especially when bigger issues are obvious *cough* Origin *cough*.

Rainboq:

Volf:

Rainboq:

No, what I said was that homosexuality is nothing but an adjective. It has, nor done anything other than mean that a being is attracted to another of the same sex. Therefore, it is not a bad thing itself. What people do with that attraction is not the fault of homosexuality itself.

Your original comment came off as otherwise, and that was what I was calling bs on

I say, that was rather inappropriate.

Glad I hid the women.

*sips tea*

Yes, quite.

Volf:

Volf:

Volf:

The claim was that no homosexual has ever committed a sexually based crime was what I was calling bullshit on

No, it wasn't:

Well why not? Homosexuality never hurt anyone in and of itself.

That's rape, not homosexuality. Homosexuality is simply being attracted to another of the same sex, how one acts based on that has nothing to do with homosexuality itself, but rather the individuals past experiences.

The claim was the same thing we are arguing: that homosexuality in and of itself is not a cause for those crimes.
EDIT: Quotes don't have links because I'm lazy. I can provide linked quotes if you want, but they're both just further back on this quote tree.

Why did I watch all of that? Those words are now forever burned into my memory. I wish I could uninstall my brain.

Volf:

However, there's one slight thing I need to argue:Just because a crime is sexually based does not mean that a person's orientation is the cause. It's incidental, it's the fact that the person is fucked up that is the actual cause.

No, it wasn't:

That's rape, not homosexuality. Homosexuality is simply being attracted to another of the same sex, how one acts based on that has nothing to do with homosexuality itself, but rather the individuals past experiences.

The claim was the same thing we are arguing: that homosexuality in and of itself is not a cause for those crimes.
EDIT: Quotes don't have links because I'm lazy. I can provide linked quotesif you want, but they're both just further back on this quote tree.

ah, I misread, My mistake, apologies

Volf:

Volf:

No, it wasn't:

EDIT: Quotes don't have links because I'm lazy. I can provide linked quotesif you want, but they're both just further back on this quote tree.

ah, I misread, My mistake, apologies

Happens to everyone.

WOW..............all to say to that. lol. Thank god for Jim

secretsantaone:

Rainboq:

secretsantaone:

So what you're basically saying is that the only reason there's a gay romance in Mass Effect 3 is because gay people are more whiny?

No, one, there's probably a higher up at Bioware/Activision who wanted it, the LGBTTQ community are actually a fairly large market and its not very taboo anymore.

I bust out laughing at "tumescent Turian tree trunk" and then again at "greased worms in a bucket of man sex".

I'm kind of pleased that I'm not hearing much flak about the gay romance options in ME3. It must be the problems with Origin and "From Ashes" overshadowing it.

Even after this beautiful satire, people still argue. I am sad, truly. And I am even more sad at the fact that people will continue to argue about this for months to come.

Anyway, Jim, this was awesome. I couldn't believe that you could read this with a straight face, I was laughing my ass off. And honestly, you're really good at this. Made me want to make a gay Shepard, so then I could... Do stuff... You know... I'll be in my bunk.

That made me feel pretty uncomfortable, yet it made me laugh a bit. But mostly made me feel very odd because Jim is talking about a sex scene/fantasy moment despite if it had to do with males, females, straight, homo, whichever. Must say it takes a lot of bravery to read that out loud. So interesting video is all I have to add...

So the most boring episode of the show has people arguing back and fourth about pedophilia in video games? Le sigh.

Rainboq:

secretsantaone:

Rainboq:

No, one, there's probably a higher up at Bioware/Activision who wanted it, the LGBTTQ community are actually a fairly large market and its not very taboo anymore.

Who said anything about it being taboo?

Besides, don't you think it's a bit shallow to cram in a gay romance just to appeal to gay people? Surely that's the same as putting a black character in to appeal to black people?

From a story point of view, it doesn't seem to add anything now we're in the last game, because the only way to get it to fit would be to say 'I was gay all along even though it wasn't foreshadowed or hinted at all in the last two games!', which is just plain bad writing.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here