The Big Picture: I Don't Know

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I defeinitely sympathize with you on the Dr. Who front, as your story was almost exactly my story, except for the part about having actually watched some of it.

See, back in the late 80s, our local PBS station used to run uncut, commercial free Star Trek episodes every Saturday night. This, as you can imagine, was incredibly awesome, and was how I managed to see most of the series. Eventually, they added TNG episodes, which was less awesome, since I'd actually seen most of them, but still somewhat cool. Then they replaced it with Dr. Who. And for the longest time, I resented Dr. Who. These days,I wanna get into it, but have no idea where to even start.

orangeapples:

daxterx2005:
A Show about things that you aren't going to make a show about.
Awesome :)

Also Bob, Do you have Mario Kart 7? If so what do you think about it?

-edit-
For the record, I think Linkara may have abandoned the project. Not saying you should pick it up. Just saying I think he might be done.

It wasn't abandoned. He already said that he is past the point at which he watched power rangers in their original run so the newer series will take longer for him to write since he needs to watch the whole thing and take notes, figure out the main themes, character development, write out everything, watch it again and see if his opinions still feel true. Unless he has recently said he was done with the project.

All I know is the last review was last November, and I havent heard an update since.
He has so many other projects that he tends to. Its almost been four months with nothing.
So abandoned probably isn't the best word.
How about "Its on the back burner and he'll get to it eventually"?

I don't know about dismissing all music Bob, you didn't come across as ignorant when you talked about Metal that one time.

SupahGamuh:
A wise man who admits he doesn't know everything is a wiser man.

Correction: Only a truly wise man will admit to how much he doesn't know.

MSNBC, That explains everything.

The most impresive part of the video is knowing that he works out.

My good man, we here in my room salute you. Few would be willing to do such a show, but you my good sir have.

As such, well done ~salutes~

You might want to add "video games other than those produced by Nintendo" to this list, Bob. Not a diss - I still really enjoy his videos on film and comics and watch them every week - but it's something that's become readily apparent every time he tries to discuss the gaming genre with respect to anything that isn't strictly Zelda or Mario-related.

VI: Video Games that arent Mario and/or Zelda.

EDIT:

Ariseishirou:
You might want to add "video games other than those produced by Nintendo" to this list, Bob. Not a diss - I still really enjoy his videos on film and comics and watch them every week - but it's something that's become readily apparent every time he tries to discuss the gaming genre with respect to anything that isn't strictly Zelda or Mario-related.

SNAP!

daxterx2005:

All I know is the last review was last November, and I havent heard an update since.
He has so many other projects that he tends to. Its almost been four months with nothing.
So abandoned probably isn't the best word.
How about "Its on the back burner and he'll get to it eventually"?

Not abandoned. That's just normal considering everything involved in what goes into a HOPR episode and how many other projects including cons, AT4W, cameos for other webshows, etc.

1) Don't blame ya on the Power Rangers thing. From my understanding, the series had been mostly abused during the time the license to the series was under the control of ABC/Disney when they bought it from Saban. Largely by putting it in a terrible time slot which would often get it preempted by Football or Golf special showings. It was only until recently that Saban has bought the rights back and let Nickleodeon show their new episodes, so it's being given better treatment now. Personally, I never much really cared for the series after I reached by teens and I honestly wished it would go away for a while. At least for two years so people could actually start to miss them. Between the time the rights were being transfered from Disney to Saban again and Saban finding a new network to show the series, thus no showing of Power Rangers were happening, I thought it was a nice breather for a while for television, but I wished it lasted longer.

2) All I can say is that while I do like MSNBC, it's heavy liberal leanings makes me consider it's best to try and balance that out by watching other 24 news networks at times. At least one or two of their programs every now and then. Perhaps some Piers Morgan and Anderson Cooper on CNN, or Fox Report with Shepard Smith and maybe the O'Reilly Factor.

Also, after reading some of the comments on this forum about "My Little Pony," I haven't really seen much of the show due to not getting the Hub on cable where I live. From what I've seen of it though and looking at it's fanbase, Brony's, otherwise guys who are into the show fall into two categories. That one, that regardless of it being a show meant to be aimed to girls, that the show is funny and entertaining enough for some guys to find it watchable. And two, unfortunate "furries" who over sexualize the pony characters with fanart. Trust me, I've seen the furry fanart a little and it most of the time makes me cringe. Granted there is weird stuff on the internet, but I perfer the first type of Brony over the second. Oh, and Adventure Time is far better and I love it.

3) I read a bit of Manga here and there when I do get the time. Can't read all of them, and I wish I could, but even I don't often have the time to do so. But seeing as you do watch Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, maybe a "Cartoon Network is Weird" or "Adult Swim is Weird," given much of it's fanbase have been disappointed by the network with it's recent terrible treatment of anime on the network and investing in stupid programming like the "CN Real" BS. It's good though they're treating Comic book superhero cartoons better now, given how bad they treated "Justice League Unlimited" in the past, and now those cartoons are making a comeback with "Young Justice" and the new "DC Nation" block. Just hoping they'll give anime a nice comeback as well sometime in the near future too.

4) I like listening to a lot of music too, but I don't think a Big Picture episode is needed on the subject.

5) As much as I'd call myself a nerd, I unfortunately have never seen any of Doctor Who. Mostly for the same reasons as Bob said. Like to maybe sometime in my life, but not happening anytime soon.

I actually like to hear about people's opinions/views on things they don't know. Getting an outside opinion helps a lot in dissecting a given medium or subject. After all, the people who care are already so invested we're not sure just how deep we're in. So, it can be refreshing to hear something you've never heard before.

Though, 'nerd' topics often come with 'nerd rage' too. So I'd understand your reluctance to make a show on the ones you've just listed.

Personally I'd love a manga episode from you.

So do we just check this off as your "addendums you never thought you'd get a chance to include in other actual episodes" episode?

And now people need to know what music you do listen to bob.

On the manga thing, it is kind of humorous how manga/anime is now integrated into the perceived nerd archetype. Many nerds I know or hear of would scoff at the notion. Every nerd has their cup of tea.

Mind you mine is manga and anime, but such is how it goes.

MUST RESIST URGE TO MAKE FUN OF BOB!!!

But seriously now, I have a sitting Job aswell, I don't have to go to the Gym to not gain weight, not eating McDonalds for every meal works just fine for me. Maybe work on your Diet?

Also, I don't see the point in this, you constantly do shows in which it is apparent that you know little more then fuck all about the topic, hasn't stopped you before, why now?

Bob, I just want to point out that most of the people I see tackling music have absolutely none of those qualifications, either.

Coming from a background of someone who can (barely) read sheet music, plays several instruments, and a primary field of college study being music theory, I can safely say none of those are necessary to make a compelling video on music. I can also say words like "psycho-acoustic" with authority, but that's neither here nor there.

The point of the above was not to make you feel as though you should do something you don't feel prepared for, but to overpad a joke about the qualifications of many of the people who feel they are prepared. and to say "psycho-acoustic." It doesn't come up much when you're waiting tables, the bread and butter profession of music majors of any walk of life.

On the other hand, as someone who finds their friends strangely in awe of my background in the field, I'd just like to point out that there really is no reason to have such credentials in order to talk music. A good chunk of music comes down to whether or not you like it or not, and many shows deal more with background and the like. Which probably bumps into the research conundrum.

Anyway, just so we're clear, I'm not requesting a music vid.

DVS BSTrD:
Honestly the only one that really surprised me was Doctor Who
I have to say that revelation left me rather...

*puts on sunglasses

DesPondent

I hope those were Rose coloured glasses.

coconut_buyer:
I was fully expecting one of these to be "Women".

Nobody's asked him. ;)

This video seems unnecessary. I kind of doubt you'll stop fielding requests and questions on those topics - there are already numerous examples already in this thread. Your nom de plume is "MovieBob". That's not subtle. While you're certainly free to dabble in other things, you've set up an expectation that you'll talk about movies, and if I had a movie-related question, I might send it to you, but if I have a non-movie question, I'm probably going to send it somewhere else. Meanwhile, anybody who wants to ask you something unrelated, is already ignoring your handle, and is unlikely to be swayed by this video.

Don't -

Qitz:
Great, now I have a Ozzy Osbourne song stuck in my head. Thanks Bob.

Don't ask me! I don't know!

Awww, I was hoping I wasn't going to be ninja'd on this.

OT: Well Bob, Doctor Who is the rather surprising one out of that whole list, but hey, I can't expect you to know everything after all.

I watched this just after watching a Doctor Who episode. I was expecting the Doctor to show up in the video sooner or later, Doctor Who is one of those geeky things Bob never refers to. Nice video. And you'd like the series, Bob, perhaps you should consider giving up on sleeping. It's overrated.

ritchards:
Hey, you were the one who brought up Samurai Pizza Cats, Bob, so you owe us an episode on Samurai Pizza Cats!

YEAH!!! wheres our Pizza Cats ep Bob!!!

daxterx2005:
A Show about things that you aren't going to make a show about.
Awesome :)

Also Bob, Do you have Mario Kart 7? If so what do you think about it?

-edit-
For the record, I think Linkara may have abandoned the project. Not saying you should pick it up. Just saying I think he might be done.

That'd explain a lot. Then again, I know he did say it took a lot of time for him to do them because he stopped watching it after a certain point so he has to go watch a full series twice before he even starts doing any scripting or recording.

Keeping in mind he also makes AT4W and other things, it could take a while before he releases any more.

We need a Doctor Who / Power Rangers crossover now.

For me Manga is one of those things, I remember being really into Manga around 05-07 (Middle /High School years) which lasted up until I finally got my hands on a copy of Watchmen and Dark Knight returns shortly after that and Now I only really read American comics: Mostly DC Universe and Independent stuff.
But I still have a quite a few friends that are still hardcore Manga readers, which is fine I still read a few titles but manga's just not my thing. Anime on the other hand is another story.

I do understand the Doctor Who thing, Started watching back in 09 and still get lost sometimes (as far as references go) Most of the time when watching I like to have some kind of Doctor themed Wikia on my computer just so I can do quick research.

Also most 80% of everything on prime-time television is shit anyway (exceptions being: Dexter, Walking Dead, American Horror Story and a few others)

in response to the Linkara Power ranger thing; it is really awesome that kermit the frog does a rundown of all the power ranger seasons.

huh. I figured you be a little more into manga than you imply. Also Doctor WHo is really hard to get around to, once you do you get pretty into it but any lapse causes long breaks from it. At least thats how it is for me.

ANImaniac89:

Also most 80% of everything on prime-time television is shit anyway (exceptions being... Walking Dead)

I LoL'ed. Walking Dead it's like... I don't know how to translate to English, Soap Opera maybe? Where there are all types of melodramas, love triangles and stuff. Common in Mexico and Brazil.

Hey Bob!

Can you do a show about the latest episode of Doctor Who! It's so funny because they reference the Power Rangers. The show was shown last night on prime-time TV and it was so good they are going to write a Manga comic about it! I also loved how perfectly they combined the Power Rangers music with the Doctor Who theme. I loved how they used glissando's and arpeggio's throughout the song to give it a even more upbeat dynamic tone.

Bob usually makes pretty good episodes that at least bring up some interesting points. This was the dumbest fucking episode of all time.

MB202:
HE DIDN'T SAY PONIES! ...Okay, it's a show that's currently on the air, so I guess he won't do that either. Or Adventure Time.

But he actually said something about those two shows. He didn't dedicate a whole episode of The Big Picture to either show but at 0:25 in The Simpsons is still funny, part 2 he says "...offering up for discussion whether Friendship is Magic or Adventure Time is a better show" to which he posts on the next frame "The answer is Adventure Time."

Knowing Bob, he probably watched both the shows (at least the episodes that aired up is the that time) and then said that on account of the creed that no thing can be truly judged or criticized without actually having any knowledge of the subject (i.e. watching at least a few of the episodes for both FiM and AT)... That or he was just trolling us at the moment. =(

Of coarse this is assuming that Bob is the one who produces ALL of the slides (and inserted videos) and it wasn't just one the other producers (I'm looking at you Susan) who wrote it. ?_?

Hope I didn't confuse you (or anyone here) more than what we started it out with... xD

'not enough time to do research... education i need to familiarize myself..'

hmm. that explains the high 'talking out of my ass' precentage in 70% of his big picture episodes.

yes they are sometimes entertaining but you can't ignore some of the serious misinformation he spreads during his rants. which is the core thing in the big picture. lots and lots of rants.

Bob I have a suggestion, why not have a guest who has more insight on something you don't know fill every once in awhile. You'll get a little break and at the same time learn something new

I don't understand how you can have NO opinion on music. It's not like you need to know advanced extreme ultra music theory just to comment on the darn medium. You're not trying to compose something you're just stating your opinion on it in general and the different movements. From classical to jazz to WUB WUB WUB WUB. Music is music.

Angel Molina:

MB202:
HE DIDN'T SAY PONIES! ...Okay, it's a show that's currently on the air, so I guess he won't do that either. Or Adventure Time.

But he actually said something about those two shows. He didn't dedicate a whole episode of The Big Picture to either show but at 0:25 in The Simpsons is still funny, part 2

Uh, yeah, I know. That's why I mentioned those two shows... Because you literally canNOT say something like that and expext to get away with it unnoticed!

Oh, good, Samurai Pizza Cats is still on the list.

And thus begins - and ends - my requisite amount of pestering for Bob to do a show he (jokingly?) teased X number of episodes ago.

Thanks for opening up and the catharsis :-)

Bob, you mention manga, but not anime. Does that mean there still might be hope for a show on that? I'd especially like to see a review of Arrietty or a Big Picture about Studio Ghibli.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here