Mahalo: Mass Effect - Recap

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mass Effect - Recap

In preparation for the upcoming release of Mass Effect 3 we are given a little info regarding the previous iterations of Mass Effect.

Watch Video

I'm assuming there's going to be a recap of Mass Effect 2 as well, also in anticipation of ME3.

Yeah... this pretty much sums it up.

Nice recap video. Good stuff.

Your femshep is Uuuuugly!

Ahh, ME1, when EAoware was still mostly Bioware.

I liked the recap! Bit more emotion in the voice pls.

Honestly the lack of emotion in his voice made me feel like I was playing Mass Effect and listening to the cardboard cutout people/aliens. So it fit very well to me.

draythefingerless:
OH BOY...ANOTHER MAHALO VIDEO....*watches* yep, stating the moronically obvious again...still trolling the escapist i see.

It's a recap... OBVIOUSLY it's going to state the obvious. Stop trolling.

draythefingerless:
OH BOY...ANOTHER MAHALO VIDEO....*watches* yep, stating the moronically obvious again...still trolling the escapist i see.

Its a recap video, so yes, it will be stating the obvious. Or rather, stating things that are obvious to people who played the games. This video may prove useful to anyone who hasnt.

Korten12:

draythefingerless:

It's a recap... OBVIOUSLY it's going to state the obvious. Stop trolling.

Not trolling, i just havent found a single redeeming factor in these videos, to the point i thought they were jokes. The skyrim video was so poorly edited, crafted, and outright WRONG in some parts i laughed hard and half the site did too. Then the SWTOR videos come out, with NOTHING but seeing someone play the TUTORIAL PHASES of the game with barely no commentary or explanation for over 10 minutes. This after 2 months of the game comes out, when at the time of the launch tons of people were presenting the introductory phases of the game, IN MUCH BETTER MANNER. Then this comes out and just spits out lore on very poorly enunciated english(what i like to call stoner english) or catching enunciation. Im sorry but i either take these videos as trolling, a joke, or if theyre serious, they are outright undeserving of being spotlighted and paid and i wish they stopped making them or started putting EFFORT n WORK into them.

Who is this video for? Fans of the series remember all of this, virtually nobody is going to pick up this story midway through, and even if they did, the game recaps all the important details anyway AND there's an expansive in-game codex to boot.

Kimarous:
Who is this video for? Fans of the series remember all of this, virtually nobody is going to pick up this story midway through, and even if they did, the game recaps all the important details anyway AND there's an expansive in-game codex to boot.

Actually you are wrong about people not picking up the game midway through, a lot of people do that from what I've personally seen, usually casual gamers.

Alright, no offense to the creators, and it's not that this is bad, but does it really deserve an entire series on this site? Space Janitors is a huge step in the right direction for the content, and Yahtzee and Bob at least have some perspective and creativity, but this is just "this is how you do things" or "this is what this thing is".

Shotgun Guy:

Kimarous:

Actually you are wrong about people not picking up the game midway through, a lot of people do that from what I've personally seen, usually casual gamers.

You'll need to clarify "casual gamers" there, because from what I understand of that gaming subculture, that's "inexpensive puzzle/adventures from Big Fish that my mom and aunt play" (and they're hardly the type to pick up a sci-fi shooter instalment).

Besides, it doesn't negate my point about in-game recaps. Even if (I'm assuming this what you mean) someone just picks up the game casually without caring about the previous instalments, they're unlikely to care enough to bother looking up a series recap.

Impressively ugly FemShepard, she'd be a brawny dike if ever I saw one.

Fairly good recap I suppose, it sumed up the main game in about 30 seconds, it'll be interesting to see the ME2 version, which should be here soon, ME3 is just around the corner.

Kimarous:

Shotgun Guy:

Kimarous:

You'll need to clarify "casual gamers" there, because from what I understand of that gaming subculture, that's "inexpensive puzzle/adventures from Big Fish that my mom and aunt play" (and they're hardly the type to pick up a sci-fi shooter instalment).

Besides, it doesn't negate my point about in-game recaps. Even if (I'm assuming this what you mean) someone just picks up the game casually without caring about the previous instalments, they're unlikely to care enough to bother looking up a series recap.

Eh, you are sort of right, I guess casual gamers is a little too broad of a term. There are definitely times when someone hasn't played a previous title and still want to know what the lore is all about like in the case of my little brother, he was too young to really get into ME when it came out but after playing the demo for ME3 he decided he wanted to play this one, he doesn't want to go back and play the other ones but would still like to understand what happened up to this point.

I sort of felt like there was the wrong kind of information being given for most of that. It was more about what Shepard did than what he learned. However, I guess if the video was just about Saren, Soverign, the Protheans, and the Reapers, it wouldn't be a very long video. Or would it...

At least this video could potentially serve some sort of purpose to three people. Points for improvement I guess. Good to see the Extra Credits money put to good use.

Well, the first Mahalo vid was terrible and missleading, the second and third pointless, this one is actually decent info precented in a bland but efficient way.

If the improvement rate continues we will be seeing something actually interesting within this year :D

NIce~ you see... the first game I couldn't finish because I got this bug that makes me unable to go on with the story... and so I skipped 2 as well... first game is still on the shelf, but I don't want restart the ENTIRE STORY LINE (5hours, don't ask how, but took me that long to GET TO NORMANDY, side quest... go figure...) now, I am safe to say, I can skip the first game... please do the second game, so I can just play the action packed third installment, and make a female character instead!

It's hard to appreciate the work in that video if the narrator is going to be flat. I wouldn't be so critical of it, but when comparing this video to this one, the difference is painfully obvious.

And honestly, there are some parts in that video that are unnecessary. In particular: 1:29-1:46. You went from "They were unable to do [X]" to "They were able to do [X]", and makes that near 20 seconds of video completely pointless, save for setting up the recruitment of your team members.

I fail to see why Mahalo is here on The Escapist. Better them than Media Cows, but still: are they really in such a bind that they need The Escapist to get them more attention?

Informative, for the Ps3 players who didnt get a change to play Mass Effect 1, although the interactive comic does the same job regardless.

I feel that this video could have been narrated better.

Just my two cents.

Huge step forward compared to the Skyrim one. Not perfect and should be named "Recap of Mass Effect 1" since there where nothing from ME2...
However even though I wouldn't go and say bad, Mahalo is far from being the next ZP, EtM/BP or Jimq for that mater...
Just have some small problem in seeing the use of it yet, but I would give it some more tries.
And I also suspect theses videos aren't what you would call expensive to create, so keep trying.

And some words of wisdom:
Ever tried.
Ever failed.
No Matter.
Try again.
Fail again.
Fail better.
:)

punipunipyo:
NIce~ you see... the first game I couldn't finish because I got this bug that makes me unable to go on with the story... and so I skipped 2 as well... first game is still on the shelf, but I don't want restart the ENTIRE STORY LINE (5hours, don't ask how, but took me that long to GET TO NORMANDY, side quest... go figure...) now, I am safe to say, I can skip the first game... please do the second game, so I can just play the action packed third installment, and make a female character instead!

Well the first one is a bit buggy but I still like it. However if I was you I would complete ME2 it is a really good game

This is a good format for a recap.

If you haven't played the first mass effect then go get it and stop Wrex from dying, that's the only recap you need.

This one guy:
If you haven't played the first mass effect then go get it and stop Wrex from dying, that's the only recap you need.

I might be wrong, but I think watching the video is quicker. ;)

Hixy:

punipunipyo:

Well the first one is a bit buggy but I still like it. However if I was you I would complete ME2 it is a really good game

Thanks for the info, I'll see in to that... you... DO get to load your last save from previous game... like Quest for Glory... right?

Kimarous:

I never played ME1 and couldn't bother to watch a summarized walkthrough, so what do you know, it's like this video was made for me!

Oh, this is a good idea. I was planning to watch a LP to recap but this will do. Thanks.

ResonanceSD:
Ahh, ME1, when EAoware was still mostly Bioware.

I liked the recap! Bit more emotion in the voice pls.

Bioware wasn't part of EA when they made the XBox (original) version of Mass Effect...

Excellent stuff. Mass Effect 1 had a much better storyline than the second (although I did enjoy both).

Kimarous:

Actually, I've played both ME1&2 and still appreciate a succinct recapitulation of the main plot (some of us consume enough media that we need to be a little bit discriminating about what we retain).

craddoke:

Kimarous:

Actually, I've played both ME1&2 and still appreciate a succinct recapitulation of the main plot (some of us consume enough media that we need to be a little bit discriminating about what we retain).

Here, here, it's a good refresh of the brain cells.
Much better then the past two videos.

Who is the target audience for this video?
It seems to air more on the side of informative than entertaining. (I can see the appeal of a Ben Stein-esque recap of certain games but you kind of have to be Ben Stein to pull that off)

If someone hasn't played the first 2 Mass Effect games why would they want to play the tired one?
No offense but you sound bored while reading the recap, that doesn't exactly make me think the subject matter is going to be much better
You sound bored in all of your videos, it gets to the point where when you do make a joke or say something passionately it just sounds forced and it sounds even more uncomfortable than the rest of the video.

Between this, Miracle of Sound, the GinxTV shows and Meatbag and CO I just don't know...I'm losing faith in the Escapist.
I'm going to go re-watch a bunch of Zero Punctuation episodes and hope Space Janitors is funny.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here