PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New meat. :|

OT:
I actually enjoyed the first game, it was a nice rental that I eventually bought for around 20USD.

Ah unless I am mistaken this is a new reviewer. Gotta keep those tires rotating so that's fine.

The advertisements made it sound like we were in for a real adventure. Somewhere in the cogs of pokepark lies a game worth playing.

She sounds a tad bored too me, like she wasn't really invested in the review but reading me her shopping list. That said where in the states is she from as that accent is rather fetching.

Ooh, new editorial person? Welcome aboard!

[southern accent] That's one hell of a fine accent you got goin' on there young lady [/southern accent]

Howdy there, nice to see a fresh face : )

The problem with... well... EVERY home console Pokemon game ever is that in over 15 years they have yet to bite the bullet and actually make the full 3D full length pokemon game. This is a serious crime in my book and a total puzzle why. The main pokemon games have the potential to be a VERY good fully blown RPG. Why Nintendo refuses to do this is beyond me; they would make a Megaton of money and there is such a rich history of great game design to draw from it would be quite hard to totally mess it up.

I get that Nintendo likes to differentiate its home console fare from its main series tiles, its a good way to work in some nice inoffensive mini-game action at a different pace (or to just make the same battle simulator over and over and over and over), but its been Sixteen Years. Give us what we crave god-dammit!

Otherwise this dark cloud will hang over the fanchise fir another decade or two.

PokePark 2: You'll have a ball!
Welcome to the escapist y'all.

Sounds like a game I would enjoy playing with my cousins or something, and I'm 21.

A nice review, and welcome to the Escapist!

EDIT: Ok fixed that horrible wording, sheesh I'm bad.

Good to see a new reviewer. But when I heard the line "You can't escape the cute: even when you hit pause each of the menu options are assigned a note," I couldn't help but have bazaar, trans-genre flashbacks of Bioshock - not a game I'd characterise as 'cute!'

THis is actually the first time I'm hearing about the first game (cause of this one)

Gotta say it's nice to hear from a new reviewer. Let's face it Greg Tito is probably getting on in years now. But she really sounded as though this was not a game she wanted to review. I got the impression that this was a hazing of sorts and she were bored out of your mind by the time it came to recording the dialog. The written part of the review is great, hopefully she'll get some more engaging material to play with next time around.

They should have made the switch away from turn-based combat years ago.

ares556600:
Hurr durr carn sarn yarn darn. I never want to hear that voice again. Which reminds me did I really check someone else's opinion on a pokemon game?

That's pretty harsh to berate someone over their accent. That's not something you usually consciously choose. I'm sure as she gets more into the 'groove' of reviews it will become more natural and she will be able to make sure to pronounce clearly for all.

Having said that, I do agree that she sounds either very nervous or very bored. The previous comment about a shopping list seems very fitting. Talking like you are having a real conversation with someone goes a long way. Sounding comfortable with your words makes you sound more confident. And most people want reviews from people who know their stuff. It's not a huge deal and I'm sure it will improve. But just something to note.

This must be a new reviewer, though I havent watched the reviews in awhile. Though i must say, she is one of the most MONOTONE people i've ever heard.

anyway, I dont own a wii, but from the games ive played that werent handhelds outside of XD I havent found many to be all that great.

What they should do is start making more pokemon snap games, or at the very least start introducing a new more older audience targeted pokemon game (though how youdo that while keeping with the standard main series thats kiddy im not sure, since the advertising compaign would be rough). i do like the way theyre going with this new game they're combining pokemon into though.

I can't play as Charizard?

Passss....

New reviewer, with a strong drawl? Wasn't expecting that. Welcome aboard, I suppose. Having heard of neither this nor the first entry, I can say that the thought of it makes me want to replay the old Pokemon Stadium titles, except that I don't own them on the N64, and even then, wouldn't want to have to replay Red and Blue just to build a good team, or to find a friend willing to play, so that I can challenge them again.

370999:
That said where in the states is she from as that accent is rather fetching.

Well, it's got the southern ring. So try the states on the coast between Georgia and Texas.

Hmm, your new reviewer... she sounds tired and bored. I can easily imagine Susan doing a better job, even though she usually reviews the artsy indie games, but she did Kirby too, so I guess that's pretty close to this sort of thing. Anyway, hope Jodie settles in nicely and becomes a little more familiar with her own reviewing style.

While I would encourage Jodie to add a little more inflection, I think most of the people posting in this thread are being overly harsh. This is pretty good for a first review. I imagine a bit more experience will do wonders on this front.

It certainly is nice to hear something on this site besides a non-regional American accent and a non-regional British accent; I'm going to guess she has an Appalachian accent -- maybe Tennessee or Kentucky?

I hate Pokemon spin-offs. The main games are so damn good that anything else feels like a down grade.

I wasn't a fan of her first review (I think?). She sounded stiff and boring. However, I do plan on giving her more of a chance to get into her reviewing groove before completely writing her off.

Is it wrong of me that all I could think about throughout this whole reveiw was how much she sounded like AppleJack to me?... I got problems...

On a more constructive note, unless I get unlockables monz for my GameBoy titles Nintendo won't see penny one from me the sl*gs!!!

Tried watching this review. But the constant monotonous tone really made it hard for me to watch.

So I didn't.

You'll get em next time slugger.

This may seem petty, but her voice was really distracting, she sounded like she'd taken valium before reading from her script.

Yeah definitely needs more tonal range, which can be trained in to a degree, just requires practise.

And I though I had a monotone voice. Really couldn't bare through the whole video just becouse of how dull it was.

Scrumpmonkey:

The problem with... well... EVERY home console Pokemon game ever is that in over 15 years they have yet to bite the bullet and actually make the full 3D full length pokemon game. This is a serious crime in my book and a total puzzle why. The main pokemon games have the potential to be a VERY good fully blown RPG. Why Nintendo refuses to do this is beyond me; they would make a Megaton of money and there is such a rich history of great game design to draw from it would be quite hard to totally mess it up.

Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness are full on RPG's, I can see how the former's name might make it appear differently. They're not as good as the handheld games, but they aren't bad.

If Nintendo dropped the prices on their games more often, I'd probably get the PokePark games for $20. After the first Mystery Dungeon game I stopped getting the spin-offs at full price, they just aren't that good, but if your a Pokemon fan they're worth owning if you can get them cheap.

But Rock and Electric are neutral against one another. It doesn't matter if you send Pikachu out against a rock type.

She states; "Most games give you the objective to save the world, but few give you the reasons the world needs saving in the first place in such a fully explained cut and dry package"

I'm not sure what games she's been playing but I have to say that MOST games give you a pretty clear reason why you're doing what you're doing.
In fact, it's hard for me to think of a game which had a vague reason for saving the world.

The review was well structured and thought out.

Go back and listen to Greg or Susan do a review though and then listen to one of your own again. You'll hear a very big difference. Keep trying!

wow, i just met the monotonous queen...
i almost fell asleep while watching this. even my teachers can sound less depressing...

happy_turtle:
Gotta say it's nice to hear from a new reviewer. Let's face it Greg Tito is probably getting on in years now.

Get off my lawn!

Greg

Good review and cute accent, buuut as i'm sure you're well aware from prior comments you sound like you won 3rd place at the Shafsbury snail eating contest.
Pep up just a tad and i'm sure people will take more warmly to your reviews.

query: are you a review robot disguised as a human?

seriously though i could not watch the whole video because of the tone of your voice alone(in other words work on that problem)

Jodie Smith:
PokÚPark 2: Wonders Beyond Review

A cute little adventure.

Read Full Article

Welcome!
Nice first review, odd game, but a good review. As others have mention, you could work on your pronunciation. It sounded like you were reading directly from a script, and if that's the case, maybe try cliff-notes next time?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here