No Right Answer: Best Animation Style Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I'll be honest I'm not really into Eastern Anime myself much like CameraDan, but there are a couple that I really love because my rule of "loving things that are good regardless of what they represent" trumps the fanboy regulatory body (rules of fanboyism is an official legislation now you see)

CameraDan the CameraMan needs to watch the original Gforce, in the US it was called "Battle of the Planets", it was poorly edited for the English speakers so you need to see the subbed not dubbed version.

And Redline, Redline is the answer to any animation answer
Whats the best looking animated film?, Redline
Whats the most exciting animated film?, Redline

See, two whole answers!, that means its foolproof!

The film is 100% hand drawn, including transparency and lighting effects, I urge everyone to buy this film on BluRay (it looks good on DVD, but it's utterly stunning in proper HD)

I do love No Right Answer, it should be the poster boy shown to Internet Warriors on how to argue and debate without resorting to fisticuffs!.

RaikuFA:

Soviet Heavy:

RaikuFA:
Not gonna watch this one it seems. Dans nothing but a worthless troll.

If you did watch it, you would see that they both make snipes at each other, but both also have valid points.

Whats Dans argument? " ITS FROM JAPAN NOT AMERICA THEREFORE ITS BAD!!!"

Ah no. He even went on to explain that of the anime he has watched, he's been unimpressed. He says that he is willing to give other shows that he hasn't seen a shot. If he likes them, he likes them. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Kitsuna10060:
@Dan: Elfen Lied, partly cause its good, partly cause there's non of the sweat drops and such you hate, and partly cause its short clocking in at 13 eps or so.

and

Vampire Hunter D, the first one. a good, but bloody anime flick

other wise :/ really ... the style that brought us forgettable crap like SPONGE BOB won .... -.- no matter how crappy the anime there's always an over arcing plot, (unless your FLCL or The Excel Saga*) also, Akira and DBZ suck, so it little wonder why Dan doesn't like anime ...

Are you crazy?! As a person who doesn't really care for anime I can safely say that that particular anime almost made me hate it, it's just weird and there are so many things wrong with it and I don't think there's a female character in that thing that doesn't flash her underwear or outright gets naked in there which is disturbing because there are female characters that are children!
That thing was traumatizing, as for suggestions well as I said I don't really care about anime or animation in general so I have nothing.
Disclaimer: Never actually saw the anime just read the manga, I don't want to touch one of those things ever again...

"I'm not counting Pixar because it's CG..."

Animation is the application of a series of sequential images to create the illusion of movement. Various tools and methods are used to create this illusion of movement. CGI is a tool, much like a stop motion animators puppets or a 2D animators pencil and paper. The same principles and skill sets go into producing CGI animation. Your statement makes it sound like you just press a button and CG films magically appear on a DVD.

They don't. An animator made those characters move, and in the case of Pixar, an incredibly skilled, highly paid professional made those characters move. Animation is probably the hardest, most complicated discipline involved in the film and game industry, and I don't understand why people have this blind spot regarding CGI. It's just as legitimate an artistic medium, and often requires even more work then 2D or stop motion to produce.

I suppose I should offer a recommendation, so I'll say Sword of the Stranger. Just because it left me very impressed, with some awesome fight scenes and none of the smut that plagues a lot of shows.

Soviet Heavy:

RaikuFA:

Soviet Heavy:

If you did watch it, you would see that they both make snipes at each other, but both also have valid points.

Ah no. He even went on to explain that of the anime he has watched, he's been unimpressed. He says that he is willing to give other shows that he hasn't seen a shot. If he likes them, he likes them. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Doubt I've seen people like him, hes just doing damage control. Hes just gonna be going off again on Mondays article saying its all bad and anyone who watches it is a waste.

Mikeyfell:
How the fuck did Dan get 4 points?
The internet has destroyed debating forever.

I've seen Akira and part of Full Metal Alchemist so Anime sucks.
I've played Call of Duty so First Person Shooters suck.
What's the difference between those two arguments?
Why is one of them acceptable?

Neither is acceptable, this is also not a serious debate. It's meant for entertainment purposes and nothing else, how can people not realise this yet?

I didn't really like the debate that much as it's hard to debate something when both parties aren't really knowledgeable about the subject at hand. I also never liked this debate in the first place, it's like arguing hamburgers vs hotdogs. They're both foods (styles of animation), and are usually sold at the same places (have similar overarching themes), but which you prefer is entirely subjective, or a lot of times dependant of what you're in the mood for.
Though, I get the feeling Dan will like Cowboy Bebop.

Mikeyfell:

I'd actually take it a step beyond and ask how he got any points in this debate. The first argument for which he was awarded a point was a prime example of faulty generalization which completely ignored the plethora of genres anime as a whole encompasses (everything from Slice of Life to Supernatural Horror, to Psychological Thriller, and from Romantic Comedy to Action-Adventure). In fairness though, Chris did get a point for doing the same with Western Animation and disney princesses, though I would debate the validity of that claim as well.

The second point of "There's no plot because it has to be dubbed" was a pure falsehood and easily disprovable simply by looking at...let's say Monster. Dubbing has very little impact on the plot or the dialogue (at least when the translators/localizers are worth their salt...*glares meaningfully at Zero Wing*).

Third point rather relied on personal cultural prejudice (Read: As he is less familiar with eastern culture than western, he assumes that must be true of everyone else, therefore 'western is more relatable in general') and blatantly ignored the fact that the Hero's Journey Campbell codified was the general pattern that he observed fiction in general, on a global scale. It doesn't belong to western culture.

Final point was pure apples to oranges. Quite literally, he compared what he considered the worst of japanese animation to what many would consider the best of western animation. That is not a fair comparison no matter how you slice it. You do not present a comparison of what you consider a good series of a medium to something you comsider a bad example in another medium and say it exemplifies your point. It would be like if I were to compare Ocarina of Time to Big Rigs Racing and claim that that was proof of racing games inherent inferiority. If you're going to compare things then you HAVE to use a consistent set of criteria. Good vs. Good, Bad vs. Bad, whichever, but you can't compare a Razzie to an Oscar for the sake of making a point about their respective genres.

Context.

We see this in so many things, your culture (whatever it may be) is complex and nuanced as you are immersed within in every day. Foreign cultures are often simplified with extreme stories grabbing attention of the strange exploit of the "other".

Punch You:

Roganzar:
A huge point that was overlooked was that anime came about because of Disney cartoons. So western animation, in a sense, created what we know as Anime today.
Probably, would have come about on its own but the fact remains.

That's not really relevant to deciding which style is overall better. For example, Super Mario 64 came out long before Ratchet & Clank, and probably influenced how it was made. Does that automatically mean Super Mario 64 is the better game? No, you'd have to experience both. Their debate ignores the origins of both styles and instead focuses on content and quality.

When comparing a baby's crying or Mozart's Requieum in D minor Dies Irae, you don't say "Oh, well I'll keep in mind that the fact that crying babies have existed since long before Mozart, and probably influenced him as well, when deciding which is better." You instead, say "Gee, this baby is really getting on my nerves. Time to blast Dies Irae all up in this bitch."

Let's see they discuss cultural influence at around the 4 minute mark. This is the reason why my statement is valid. I referenced the cultural influence that western animation has on eastern animation. Pointing out this cultural influence doesn't argue the point one way or the other. It is a fact of animation history.
Additionally, you would have been better off pointing out that eastern animation now greatly influences western animation. These things go in cycles.
A comparrison of Super Mario 64 to Ratchet and Clank is far more valid than Baby vs. Mozart, whatever the hell you we're trying to say there, but as far as that arguement goes Ratchet and Clank is a better game. Insomniac took what influenced then from Super Mario 64 and improved on it with solid controls, a humorous story, entertaining characters, improved gameplay mechanics and excellent voice acting. However, the fact remains that Super Mario 64, probably, has had a tremendous influence on the developers that made Ratchet and Clank.
I still have no idea what the hell you we're saying with the Baby vs Mozart. Seriously that didn't make sense.

Asita:

Mikeyfell:

I'd actually take it a step beyond and ask how he got any points in this debate. The first argument for which he was awarded a point was a prime example of faulty generalization which completely ignored the plethora of genres anime as a whole encompasses (everything from Slice of Life to Supernatural Horror, to Psychological Thriller, and from Romantic Comedy to Action-Adventure). In fairness though, Chris did get a point for doing the same with Western Animation and disney princesses, though I would debate the validity of that claim as well.

The second point of "There's no plot because it has to be dubbed" was a pure falsehood and easily disprovable simply by looking at...let's say Monster. Dubbing has very little impact on the plot or the dialogue (at least when the translators/localizers are worth their salt...*glares meaningfully at Zero Wing*).

Third point rather relied on personal cultural prejudice (Read: As he is less familiar with eastern culture than western, he assumes that must be true of everyone else, therefore 'western is more relatable in general') and blatantly ignored the fact that the Hero's Journey Campbell codified was the general pattern that he observed fiction in general, on a global scale. It doesn't belong to western culture.

Final point was pure apples to oranges. Quite literally, he compared what he considered the worst of japanese animation to what many would consider the best of western animation. That is not a fair comparison no matter how you slice it. You do not present a comparison of what you consider a good series of a medium to something you comsider a bad example in another medium and say it exemplifies your point. It would be like if I were to compare Ocarina of Time to Big Rigs Racing and claim that that was proof of racing games inherent inferiority. If you're going to compare things then you HAVE to use a consistent set of criteria. Good vs. Good, Bad vs. Bad, whichever, but you can't compare a Razzie to an Oscar for the sake of making a point about their respective genres.

Aaaaaaaaaand you just proved to me why I'm not gonna eatch this ep.

Thats just disgusting how it went down.

Here's a suggestion that breaks a lot of preconceived notions about anime: Monster.
The whole thing just feels more like a prime-time show that just happens to be animated instead of live action.
It's a little on the longer side, clocking at 70ish episodes, and I'll admit that it suffers a bit from the padding problem, but it's very much worth it.

Then again, if you just want to embrace the over-the-top nature of anime, the best recommendation I could give would be the Redline movie. It's basically F-Zero on crack and has a simple plot that at the same time makes absolutely no damn sense at times. However, it looks absolutely gorgeous and has a pretty kickass soundtrack.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend:

Hellsing
and
Bleach

I haven't seen an awful lot of anime but they were two that had me hooked.

I would agree with the overall outcome of this debate although I wouldn't say either animation STYLE was BETTER. Mostly because Western animation doesn't have one particular style at all so it's not fair to be compared. This debate was more like comparing anime with every other style of animation ever made. No fair contest.

That said, Studio Ghibli can do NO WRONG.

Fanboy....instincts....crying out for action!

But then I understand that it's half trolling.

Firstly, animation style is a weird way to put it given the arguments. I was thinking at first in terms of the style that shows are animated with rather than an overarching east vs west, which is better.

I will say putting anime on the pedestal of how it's generally perceived by it's extremes is the way to go, since otherwise anime is so vast and diverse that any western show has 5 counterparts in anime. Bad dubbing is our (America's) own fault though, watch subtitles. Or watch french dubs. You won't understand it, but it'll be funny as hell. Tangents, where was I?

While some might be overly padded to this end, I still like the ongoing stories you find in anime over the all encompassing episodic style that you'll in any american cartoon. Not to say there aren't good ones of course, and not to say there aren't good anime in the same episodic style.

Furthermore, Anime has zombie ninja cyborg magic space pirates:

Beat that.

Asita:

Mikeyfell:

*Golf clap*
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who would like to see Dan Chris and Kyle held to the standard of professional debaters. This show would have a very different outcome week to week if you or I were judging these arguments.

studio ghibli animations are great, well done, look fantastic, interesting plots - but for some reason are soulless srt, fairly dull and usually too long.

RaikuFA:
Not gonna watch this one it seems. Dans nothing but a worthless troll.

This. Dan's knowledge of anime is pitful, Chris also missed too many counterpoints (seems to lack on the anime-fu department).

You don't like DBZ? No shit, it's full of padding, go see DBZ Kai or even better DB (i think it's a better Toriyama's work).

Individual wish fullfilment, achiving dreams? Wow... that sounds exactly like the whole raison d'etre of One Piece. Other good animes with that? Slam Dunk, Hunter X Hunter just off the top of my head.

Don't like Shin-chan? Not going there, i hate yonkoma and everything that resables it.

Aeon Flux, I liked that one, but my nightmares were made of Grave of the Fireflies... and I would contest Aeon Flux is not adult at all, it is much more teenage targeted, stuff like GITS: SAC is much more adult at any rate.

Anyway, yeah, there is a lot of trash anime, and sadly most of the one that is popular both in America and Japan is crap.

Overall, very very poor episode.

Proverbial Jon:
I'm going to go ahead and recommend:

Hellsing
and
Bleach

If you are going to see hellsing, do yourself a favour and watch the Hellsing Ultimate OVA, amazingly superior to the regular series, follows the manga more closely, beautiful art, i love that work. Bleach? Mhee, i like the manga because the artist is very well versed in his drawing craft and does an amazing job with the pannels, but the plot is weak, was always weak but now it shows too much.

And it seems that the anime defenders are lining up to express their outrage. Not that this was unexpected.

Seriously, can you not just take this show for what it is as a comedic argument series without getting offended that someone has a different opinion than you?

Dan you should have countered Chris's argument about not being more good cartoons other than Disney's by mentioning Hanna-Barbera. You would have won by one more point.

CG is animation too otherwise it wouldn't contend on the oscars in the animated film category wich btw has been won mostly by western animations.

As soon as I figured out what this one would be about, I knew it would be a big one, or at least a controversial one. Now that Dan has even won, I see an endless debate incoming.

GamemasterAnthony:
Suggestion: Ghost in the Shell

Both of the movies AND the "Stand Alone Complex" series.

This MAY make you change your mind about anime, Dan.

It certainly did for me. Well, I still don't care for most anime except for a few select ones. But I can watch GitS: Stand Alone Complex over and over, both seasons back to back. Great story, great animation and it seems a lot more mature than most of the anime I've seen.

Dan should've suggested Batman the Animated Series as one of the best western cartoons. It has a gritty, distinct and adult style to it which is just great. They don't make em like that anymore.

Apart from the weirdness or translation factor most of anime's cliche flaws comes comes from the transition from comic to animation. The most popular and well known anime's are usually based on their long running and still ongoing manga's, and the animators really have to take a lot of liberties to stretch it out so that the 20 minute weekly animated show stays keeps pace with and doesn't jump ahead of the weekly 18 page manga. This is why in DBZ Goku and Freeza will spend an entire episode grunting at each other with nothing really happening, and there's another half dozen little methods they use. Of course you can't completely excuse since technically it's anime to but it If you want to try and form an educated opinion on the genre it's probably best to separate these.

That said, I've noticed in these while most are good but some people give horrible examples to try and convince someone who doesn't like it that anime is good.

I am surprized that no one mentioned Avatar The Last Airbender, the perfect blend of East and West in animation and much better version of the Harry Potter concept.

Too many styles that weren't even mentioned. What of Horror? (I know I always say it, but Higurashi. You can do a lot worse than that.)

Dan really contradicts his own broad generalisation that all anime is the same by mentioning two extremely different styles of anime and admitting that they are that different.

artanis_neravar:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Code Geass. It's a more serious anime so there are very few if not none of the visual animation jokes like the "rain drop", it was an original animations, so unlike DBZ or Naruto it's not based on a manga and as a result they didn't have to extended out episodes with fluff to try to match up with the manga. The animation is good, and it has a very well thought out story.

I love Code Geass and it's one of my favorite anime but I never really try to "convert" people with it, mostly because the character deign is by CLAMP and it really shows. I like the art personally but most of my friends just starting out with anime tend to think that the art looks bizarre and avoid it. What I would start with is either Cowboy Bebop (like he said he was going to try) or Baccano! For those less enlightened Bacanno! is an amazing anime about mobsters in the american 1920s-1930s. It centralizes around a train robbery and the crew of a Dutch ship who in the 1700s were given the secret to immortality. Also the dub of it is incredible.

Daystar Clarion:
snip

given that Dan him self stated 2 he should watch him self? had to dig up something that was light on the normal stuff (which is most my collection to be honest)

well, sides Lodoss War, not like i suggested Devil Hunter Yoko (though he might like that one if he like heavy metal just for the boobs...)

sides, i like the show, and Dan seems to have his mind made up and i doubt he'll even read my suggestion anyway, not to mention, the argument was weak, cause really? those where the best reasons he could come up with? really? basing his whole argument on 3 shows? 2 of which suck anyway, yeah -.- lot of credibility there

also, he gave us NO information to suggest something he might like, 'shot gun suggestions' ( just suggest me something) doesn't really work with anime because of how much diversity there is, he wants a better set of suggestions then he's gonna have to give us more information

Kaleion:
snip

:) you know where i can find the manga? I'd love to get the REST of the story. though i do get why it would turn some one off, subtle it's not, the 'fan service'-y bits didn't bother me, for being there, a more that they felt REALLY out of place with how dark the rest of the show is. kinda hard to find Nu 'sexy' when Lucy takes people apart for looking at her funny nude or not

Soviet Heavy:

RaikuFA:

Soviet Heavy:

Congratulations, Soviet Heavy, you won this week's secret contest. For standing up against the hate and reminding them that this is a comedy show, and for pointing out that I had a disclaimer at the end. Your prize is an extra week of life. When you are in your 80's, you can thank us!

Daystar Clarion:

Kitsuna10060:
@Dan: Elfen Lied, partly cause its good, partly cause there's non of the sweat drops and such you hate, and partly cause its short clocking in at 13 eps or so.

and

Vampire Hunter D, the first one. a good, but bloody anime flick

other wise :/ really ... the style that brought us forgettable crap like SPONGE BOB won .... -.- no matter how crappy the anime there's always an over arcing plot, (unless your FLCL or The Excel Saga*) also, Akira and DBZ suck, so it little wonder why Dan doesn't like anime ...

Elfen Lied?

Seriously? You mean the series with so much fan service of young characters that it borders on some very dodgy territory?

I like Elfen Lied, it was a good series, but it's hardly a suggestion for someone who hates tradional anime tropes.

I would say Elfen Lied doesn't really have much fan-service if any. It has a lot of nudity. The distinction being if there is a good reason I'm being shown this within the confines of the story they are trying to tell or if they are throwing it on-top of the story.

That said I agree that its likely not the best recommendation to get someone into anime. What it presents can often be misinterpreted.

I'd recommend the Miazaki films if you like Disney/Pixar films. Otherwise I'd recommend a movie known as

Sword of the Stranger.

Shorter than what you are going to get with a series so it won't waste your time. It has great action, great story, great character development, and so forth. Oh and no school girls, crazy government conspiracy, fan service, filler, or any of that other boring stuff a lot of anime is filled with.

Eugh... personally, I think both sides could have made better arguments, but I'm clueless as to how Dan won. Even if I were of the opinion that Western animation is better than Eastern animation (I'm not, but I'll go into that in a bit), his arguments lacked any sort of depth or knowledge of the topic at hand, and simply reeked of "I've not seen it, therefore it must be bad!"

Personally, I much, much prefer Eastern animation to Western animation. Simply because there are far more studios working on animation in Japan, compared to the West, so they have a lot more to offer. Sure, a lot of it is crap, but even the good stuff outnumbers Western animation by a fair margin.

If you ask someone to list why Western animation is better, you'll usually get one of the following responses:

-Pixar. One studio that releases a film every couple of years. They are undoubtedly great films. But they're one studio, and you can't argue the superiority of an enture medium based on one studio.

-Batman TAS. A cartoon that is now over twenty years old, and tends to get massively overstated by the fans. Yes, it had a great sense of style. Yes, for a Saturday morning cartoon, it was surprisingly dark. No, that does not make it a mature, adult cartoon. Batman: TAS was primarily children's entertainment, and while it was damn good children's entertainment with some very dark moments, it was not the bastion of mature storytelling in animation that its fans sell it as.

- Disney. Now to be fair, Disney was releasing animated films for decades, so its absolutely correct that they've amassed a huge collection of classic films, from The Lion King to Bambi. The thing is, outside of Pixar, Disney all but abandoned animated feature films at the end of the nineties, and their most recent return to the genre The Princess And The Frog was a decidedly average affair. Disney have got some stone cold classic films, but they've also got their fair share of duds, and they've yet to prove that they can really still make animated films like they used to.

- If someone really knows their onions, they'll bring up the animated Spawn series. I will happily concede that this was a genuinely adult series that, while prone to melodrama and drawing out plot points, nonetheless managed to combine a supernatural comic book story with a down to earth detective story, covering all the nasty stuff that entails, and producing a genuinely dark, adult, enthralling piece of syndicated animation.

And that's it. Apart from that, what has the Western animation stable produced of note over the last 15-20 years? The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Ugly Americans... syndicated programs which make use of cheap, ugly animation to produce cheap comedic laughs on a minimal budget. Sure, the Simpsons was once awesome, but its taken an absolute nosedive over the last ten years.

Where is the current Western animation that deals with social issues and topics in a serious, mature way? Where is the Western animation that strives to do more than produce cheap throwaway gags, and actually tell adult stories with multiple layers of meaning? Where is the Western animation that isn't afraid to seriously look at issues such as sex, conflict, drugs, and so on?

It's easy to take the piss out of Akira. Yet for all its crazy sci-fi trappings, it is still a far more though-provoking meditation on religion and society than anything Disney ever produced. Neon Genesis Evangelion may make for easy piss taking, but show me a Western show which was as unafraid to put its teenage cast through the absolute wringer like Evangelion did? Has any Western cartoon ever studied the effects of post-traumatic stress and depression as thoroughly as Evangelion did? Has there ever been a Western show as willing to show as much utter lunacy as Kemonozume, or willing to explore philosophical ideas of identity and memories to the same extent that Kaiba did? Has there ever, in all of animation, been a better meditation on our digital civilisation than that presented in Ghost In The Shell?

When Western animation starts consistently putting out high quality shows to the level of quality that Anime regularly offers with the likes of Cowboy Bebop or Grave of The Fireflies, then I will concede that the two sides are equal. As it stands, much as I love the historic output of Western animation, Japan simply has us beat when it comes to the sheer range of topics and the maturity with which they handle them.

itsausernamewhatofit:

artanis_neravar:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Code Geass. It's a more serious anime so there are very few if not none of the visual animation jokes like the "rain drop", it was an original animations, so unlike DBZ or Naruto it's not based on a manga and as a result they didn't have to extended out episodes with fluff to try to match up with the manga. The animation is good, and it has a very well thought out story.

I love Code Geass and it's one of my favorite anime but I never really try to "convert" people with it, mostly because the character deign is by CLAMP and it really shows. I like the art personally but most of my friends just starting out with anime tend to think that the art looks bizarre and avoid it. What I would start with is either Cowboy Bebop (like he said he was going to try) or Baccano! For those less enlightened Bacanno! is an amazing anime about mobsters in the american 1920s-1930s. It centralizes around a train robbery and the crew of a Dutch ship who in the 1700s were given the secret to immortality. Also the dub of it is incredible.

Baccano! is amazing, but it is also way over the top, and you have to be dedicated to make it through. If you are already on the fence about anime Baccano!'s seemingly random story and especially the Isaac and Miria story line will probably be a turn off. Bebop will probably be a good choice, it's been awhile since I've seen it so I'm not a good judge. I did notice he said Trigun, which is probably a bad choice for him because it is a very goofy show between the serious.

Code Geaaa' animation is a very crisp and clean animation, it's not traditional like trigun or Bebop, but it is still good, and Dan seems to be more turned off by the style of animes and their over the top mood exaggerations.

It's a lost cause. See, Japan makes animated series. many have mature plots. animation over here is seen as for kids so, they get easily put down, except for a few films. They just can't compete at all. Second anime gets reviewed regardless of who watches it. I dont know of a website where people review cartoons every week episode by episode. Also people can write three pages about one scene in a single episode of a single anime about the deep philosophical meaning of it, making the anime sound like an art film home work assignment. When is the last time somebody wrote about the deepness of Spongbob's "Just one bite"? None at all. Sadly most japanese anime is well animated but isn't saying anything anymore. Japan needs to start making cartoons like ours for a while. Stop being so depressing, anime.

Why people suggest old animes? Beebop? Trigun? All from the last millennium. Try Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (way better than the first release), Another (horror story), GANTZ, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. There is sooooo much more...

Anime are more like movies than cartoon, because you have tons of "american pie" comedies, but also deeper ones like Inception. The thing is you must know which is which, and that's the hard part. The themes in eastern animations are more restricted it seems (comedy, basically).

The industry of anime in japan is not at all like cartoon industry in the US. There, they are more like Hollywood..

And newbies, stay away from the series with 500 episodes. The pace is so slow. Try smaller anime, with 13 or 26 episodes.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

And that's it. Apart from that, what has the Western animation stable produced of note over the last 15-20 years?

Invader Zim, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Doug, Camp Lazlo, X-men, spiderman, etc

Firefilm:
Snip

Dear Dan,

I am fine if you do not generally like Anime and some of the Anime i've seen around aren't all that good ether. However, since you were nice enough to let the audience suggest Anime to you.. mind if I suggest you download a free game based on Anime that's called Katawa Shoujo? It's odd with the story, along with the fact you date disabled girls but the arcs, plots, and art style really makes it all worth playing through. Try it, least go for Lilly's arc first hand or try aiming for Hanako's.

Oh and for the next 'No Right Answer' video.. try to do a Scifi vs Fantasy debate seeing which genre is most favored for video games or movies. I'd totally watch that.

OT: Even though Western animation is good, plus I love Disney/Pixar movies.. I will have to side with the Eastern animation. Not only do they have more adult themes out there, but the movies/games/shows/manga really have reached out to me and taught me deeper meanings then Disney could ever hope to. Because Eastern animation pushes boundaries that companies now a days are afraid to go for.. due to being sued by the sensitive people who want to shelter their kids from reality even if it's a good moral to follow by from the movie/show/manga/whatever's teachings.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here