Space Janitors: Darby Richards - Behind the Scenes

Darby Richards - Behind the Scenes

Ely Henry asked us at Space Janitors if he could film a "Behind the Scene" set of videos for his internship in film school. That gave us an opportunity we really wanted - to show you what it's like on our set making an indie sci-fi web series. The first installment of Ely Henry's Behind the Scenes features for Space Janitors. In this episode, Ely introduces Darby Richards. Look forward to more of these as we gear up for launch, and as we roll out the show.

Watch Video

So then are episodes normally going to be spaced out by a few weeks, or is that just while the series gets up and running? I think that long wait time between story episodes is what killed PGG, hopefully this show doesn't suffer the same fate.

Avaholic03:
So then are episodes normally going to be spaced out by a few weeks, or is that just while the series gets up and running? I think that long wait time between story episodes is what killed PGG, hopefully this show doesn't suffer the same fate.

This is only while we get up and running. I've got five episodes - one for each character, and then it's back on track with new Space Janitors!

Also, hello Escapist...my name is Ely.

I'm eager to see what you guys have coming up. I see potential in this series.

Also, Toronto? Good to know that something like this is so close to home.

I liked the pilot, and I look forward to seeing what your team can do. Typically, though, behind-the-scenes videos are released after the season is done, and not as filler while waiting for the next episode to finish. (Especially when they show footage that hasn't aired yet) Just a friendly tip; good luck!

While I don't mind the wait until the actual premier... this felt WAY too short. I feel like his intro and outro were longer total time then the actual behind the scenes footage. I'm going to go check.

Edit: (including credits and such)
0:00-0:28~intro 1:09-1:27~outro Total: 46 seconds
0:29-1:08~actual content Total: 39 seconds

Yeah, I had the same problem with it. I look forward to seeing what the series is like thought.

Mouse_Crouse:
While I don't mind the wait until the actual premier... this felt WAY too short. I feel like his intro and outro were longer total time then the actual behind the scenes footage. I'm going to go check.

Edit: (including credits and such)
0:00-0:28~intro 1:09-1:27~outro Total: 46 seconds
0:29-1:08~actual content Total: 39 seconds

I agree. If it keeps up the nibble sized episodes, it wont be popular. Behind the scenes shows can be much longer (ref Loading Ready Run) and talk about all manner of details. This only talked a little about one character and something that was mentioned in the first episode. There was nothing at all in regard to - how the show was thought up, how many people work on it, any tidbits on the equipment you use etc etc. It was advertising more than factual. But I will watch the next one, it can be hard to make these kinds of things when they are new. And scripts are incomplete, that's why you talk about OTHER things to flesh out the time.

marurder:
I agree. If it keeps up the nibble sized episodes, it wont be popular. Behind the scenes shows can be much longer (ref Loading Ready Run) and talk about all manner of details. This only talked a little about one character and something that was mentioned in the first episode. There was nothing at all in regard to - how the show was thought up, how many people work on it, any tidbits on the equipment you use etc etc. It was advertising more than factual. But I will watch the next one, it can be hard to make these kinds of things when they are new. And scripts are incomplete, that's why you talk about OTHER things to flesh out the time.

Honestly I don't think this is supposed to be a regular thing. They have stated that the actual series will start on an actual date. But until then I expect a few weeks of things like this.

What is strangest to me is that there wasn't really anything "behind the scenes" about it. It felt like a characters vignette. Or a meet-the-cast, except we already have that on the mini-site. So I guess I just can't really see the point behind these, if that is what we are getting for 4 weeks or so.

Edit: I could see them doing a full-blown behind the scenes after the first season. And with the production scale of this show, I would expect it to be pretty good. But this just seems like an odd way to hype the show.

holy shit your in toronto! me too! where in the city is your studio? seeing the studio, i realized i had really underestimated the production value of your show. but I still love it. i think theres potential (just dont go slapstick. theres enough of that on the internets already).

Just a heads up, episode one may have grabbed peoples' attention but I'm sure there are many who are still not convinced, so when the second vid we see is "Behind-the-scences" I get the feeling that they're jumping the gun.

Make sure that you've fully grasped our attention before shoving uninteresting videos in our face.

I was looking forward to this behind the scenes but when a large chunk of it was the intro and outro the actual content ended up being shorter than the ad i saw beforehand (40 seconds by my count) I do look forward to more episodes and a more in-depth behind the scenes when there is less to spoil =)

Oooh... Toronto. Need any assistant/second unit directors?

are you guys kidding me? what a waste of time and tax dollars.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here