Warp Review

Warp Review

We're not sure this is a "family" puzzle game.

Read Full Article

Non-regional diction. Give it a try.

Otherwise, the review was comprehensive. :)

Well Howdy!

sorry.

A lot better than the last review (sounds like the game didn't make you wanna eat nails and broken glass) any chance we could get the new girl on the podcast?

Cool looking little game, I eagerly await March 13. More STO and BF3 til then.

So basically a top-down Portal with the gore scaled up to childish levels? Okay then. I'm sure it fills some niche out there, just not for me.

Dammit it's not on steam.

Gabe why don't you go make friends with EA already?!

Reviews by Applejack. I don't think this can be improved upon.

Good review, you covered the game well.
But really hard to understand and follow.

Sunder845:
Reviews by Applejack. I don't think this can be improved upon.

I was thinking the same thing.
Although I must say I'd rather hear one by Fluttershy.

Issue13:

Pft. Don't be rude I like our new reviewer gemini sunris- I mean jodie Smith. I like accents. She should use hers just as much as yathzee uses his.

I like this review a little better I feeling a bit of color in you're words and description but it's still missing something. Don't know what. You'll figure it out long before I do I reckon. I would never play this game though. The warp mechanic disturbs me greatly.

Issue13:

I'm sure you urge Jim and Yahtzee to strive for non-regional diction too, right? Nothing wrong with a Southern accent.

marcusslade:

But really hard to understand and follow.

I can understand here just fine, but I had to turn down the volume. Her voice is rather...high-pitched.

Susan Arendt:

Issue13:

I'm sure you urge Jim and Yahtzee to strive for non-regional diction too, right? Nothing wrong with a Southern accent.

I've lived, worked, and trained in the south. From Kentucky to Creole, it is all good in the right situation.

Jim Sterling and Yahtzee demonstrate two differences of note from this up and comer:

1) It is part of their branding. Their accents are part of the personas they have created for their shows and columns. (Yes, it is part of their IRL personas as well.) Regionally applicable vernacular is commonplace in their products. I heard not one southern fried bit of homespun wisdom in this show, so I know that isn't what the Escapist was going for.

2) More importantly, their accents don't interfere with their ability to articulate. The quality of all video products will be judged on both content and production values. Such is the cruel world of online video content with commenting.

It is always nice to see an editor throw in, though.

What's this someone with an accent that fits the location of the office????

Fun review, I look forward to seeing more from you. May I ask where exactly your come from in the south? I only know (kinda know)Lousiana, New York, Boston, and Maine accents.

Side note: Ignore the requests for changing your voice. The south needs to build up some Geek reputation points. Maybe we can rebrand it from country music to geek powah?

Susan Arendt:

Issue13:

I would love if we could get Jim to talk in a southern accent. The escapist needs an "adopt an accent week ":). It would be just like video game voice acting bringing the reporters one step closer to their topic.

:).

Neat! I thought the 17+ didn't look right either---

at first.

Sweet, the moment I saw the labs I thought portal too, something about the starting room reminds me of the one in that game. Bed, white floor, glass walls...Will probably give this a try if it's ever released on steam/independant release

I notice a hint of a southen accent there (nothing wrong with that, it give it a flare to the review).
Is it just me or does Zero look like if the Portal gun come to life and become organic?

Issue13:
Jim Sterling and Yahtzee demonstrate two differences of note from this up and comer:

1) It is part of their branding. Their accents are part of the personas they have created for their shows and columns. (Yes, it is part of their IRL personas as well.) Regionally applicable vernacular is commonplace in their products. I heard not one southern fried bit of homespun wisdom in this show, so I know that isn't what the Escapist was going for.

2) More importantly, their accents don't interfere with their ability to articulate. The quality of all video products will be judged on both content and production values. Such is the cruel world of online video content with commenting.

It is always nice to see an editor throw in, though.

I don't really see how your first point has to do with anything. As for the second point, I had no problem understanding her. Only criticism I would make about the video is that her voice is too loud, but Escapist reviews have always had that problem regardless of the reviewer. Either way, it's a problem with the editing, not their voices.

Susan Arendt:

I have no problem with regional diction in the Escapist's videos (I like Jodie's accent, and am curious to know where it comes from). That said, while I'm no expert it sounds to me like both Jim and Yahtzee have non-regional British accents. If you guys did want to insist on non-regional diction, I think they would be fine.

A big improvement on your diction from the last video review, very well done, looking forward to the next one!

Jodie apparently missed a key feature of Warp. It appears to have some sort of time travel mechanic that let a bunch of damnyankees escape from the mid 1930s.

Wait so, judging by the comments, are Americans(on average) judgemental of Southerners now? Because that's hilariously ironic.

OT: Huh. Interesting game. One think I would've liked to know is, does the story progress beyond "Get out of Lab?". Might be interested if it had a unique portal-esque twist to the plot somehow.

looks good, might give it a try.

Wow, you got really good really fast Jodie. You certainly sounded much more perked up compared to your Pokemon review! Really made me more interested in it.

Can't imagine wanting to play this game though. A bit too graphic for me.

I notice a hint of a southen accent there (nothing wrong with that, it give it a flare to the review).

I can't believe that is a Southern accent sounds so hot. Like I am amazed I am reacting like this just by hearing her talk about an indie puzzler game featuring a teleporting alien killing dumb guards but wow, that accent is really cute. God I feel so creepy.

/Condescending remark towards a person's place of origin and accent.

Seriously now guys, I think we have better things to worry about, like whether the GAME she was talking about sounded any good.

Or maybe how not to sound like ignorant shit heads...

Just saying...

Anyway, I've been wanting to try Warp for a while. Just never really had the money to throw at it... Maybe when I do i'll give it a lookin'.

2nd paragraph, first word. Small error that sticks out pretty bad.

On another note, I am incredibly impressed with how much better this review is than the Pokepark one. Although given the subject matter, I'm not sure I could have feigned interest in that game either.

The video review was leaps and bounds above your last one. Good job.

The written review has "you're" instead of "Your". That stings just a mite, but aside from that it reads pretty smoothly.

Depending on the price point for this one, I'm pretty sure I'll be playing it soon. Looks like a neat little puzzler. I don't suppose you know how long the game is, roughly?

Yes because people can turn their accents on and off. If i was a less than polite individual i'd be telling people to fuck off left and right center.

On topic. I...think i want this.

I hate to draw more attention towards the accent, some people already have I see, but I just want to say I enjoyed it. As a non-English speaker I don't often get to hear southern accent in media (well, movies mostly) without a terrible stereotype being attached to it.

As for the review: I like it. I might just give this one a go on the PC as long as I don't have to do something silly like installing Origin.

Issue13:

I liked the accent, it was a nice change to monologue like reviews we get so often. I don't see how it interfered with her ability to review the game, or present her thoughts on it? I understood everything fine.

I watched that video twice just to hear Jodie's voice. She sounds like a cutie-pie. <3

This game reminds me of Galerians on the PS1.

*gets vivid psychic drug withdrawal head-exploding flashbacks*

Issue13:

Accents are fine... the read is what needs work. It felt rather stiff and read.

OT Good review. This looks like an odd one.
Kinda reminded me of that game that came out a few years back where there was a ferret and rabbit escaping a corporation. You won by bankrupting them... can't recall the name.

Not bad, not bad, you just need to calm down a little. it sounds like you are on the edge of your seat and do all of it in one go as fast as you can. Just relax. You sound cute :)

Got the game yesterday and I got hooked pretty fast trying to make gold on every challenge I encountered, especially the ones where you need to kill all those cocky guards real fast :P

I like this review a little better, I feel your words and describe the color bit, but it still lacks something HP 74 . I do not know what it is.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here