Mass Effect 3 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Daystar Clarion:
I won't be joining the contingent of whiners and naysayers.

I'm sure there will be faults, there always are, but the overall experience is bound to be worth it.

Yes, but in this case it's a wonderful three course meal interrupted by being forced to drink a vial of arsenic. It rather spoils the whole thing.

BaronIveagh:

Daystar Clarion:
I won't be joining the contingent of whiners and naysayers.

I'm sure there will be faults, there always are, but the overall experience is bound to be worth it.

Yes, but in this case it's a wonderful three course meal interrupted by being forced to drink a vial of arsenic. It rather spoils the whole thing.

I'm easily impressed, so I very much doubt that ME3 won't be one my favourite gaming experiences of all time.

I haven't come this far for nothing.

satsugaikaze:

Capitano Segnaposto:

OT: Great read, minus that one mistake. I am slightly curious now to see if all those "Day One DLC" haters will bring the score down on MetaCritic.

Ponder and you shall be informed.

.... Holy Hell, I'm speechless. I mean, I probably won't buy it unless I hear a proper review that says it's worth my money, but still.....

I'm so sad... I won't be able to play this game for another couple of months.

But hey, at least it's out! Now all that remains is to avoid spoilers until I can get my hands on it.

Li Mu:

I don't want to spoil anything about Mass Effect 3 for you, so all you really need to know is this: Yes. Yes, you should get it. Yes, it lives up to the hype. Yes, it's the ending the series deserves.

Now I don't have to read the review.
You really shouldn't put such an all encompassing summary in the first paragraph if you want lazy people to read the whole thing. It's like confirming who the murderer of a detective novel is on the first page.

If I spare people any spoilers, I'm happy to do it. Of course, there's no dealing with "lazy" people - they don't generally like to read at all. Too taxing on their tiny brains.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Sorry Susan, I need to point out one thing:

It isn't the end of the Mass Effect Series. Just this particular Story/Saga/Trilogy (whatever the kids call it now).

Fair enough.

Paragon Fury:
Well, the review is accurate.....except for a few things.

1 - A significant amount of your choices from the previous two games have no impact on the ultimate outcome, even the seemingly important choices. Most things are relegated to one-liner acknowledgements.

2 - Your squad pool is stupidly small, and definitely limits you a lot more in composition than ME2 or even ME1.

3 - All of the game's ending's suck. Every. single. one. Not only are they terribly written, each of them causing massive plot holes/inconsistencies by their existence or implied outcomes (Hint: One of the biggest bombs in the game comes right at the end, where it makes everything that made sense before not make sense any more, ever), but exactly none of them are fulfilling and one is likely to leave people frothing with rage because it is so bad.

4 - The story assumes the player knows a lot more about ME than many will - a shit ton of players who didn't read all of the books are going to be confused as the why Anderson is no longer Councilor even though they picked him in ME1.

5 - There are several annoying glitches, including one that often causes the game to not be able to read your face gen date from ME2 characters, meaning you have to have the code written down or memorized exactly how to customize your character.

I didn't find the small squad pool to be a problem, and while I didn't love the game's ending(s), they didn't diminish the overall experience for me at all. I do agree that the game would prefer you to have played the first two games, but I don't think you have to have them memorized in order to enjoy it, or to understand what's going on.

As for your final complaint, I experienced that, too. I'm currently talking to EA to see if they can figure out exactly what causes it. It appears to be hit-and-miss.

Therumancer:

Freechoice:
They didn't get rid of the planet scanning mechanic? Jesus Christ.

Personally I was most disappointed with how it seems you have to run from the Reapers pursueing instead of there being a space combat mechanic implemented.

That said, I liked the way how they did the planetary exploration and mining in ME1, they just needed to put more stuff on the planet to make it a little more exciting. Skimming through my strategy guide (I don't want too many spoilers yet, and I have yet to get a copy installed) it doesn't appear there is even a vehicle component to this one, though I imagine it could be added later.

um would you like to fight a squadon of repears in a ship 1/10th their size?

gameplay looks choppy and lacked fluidity from my view. i never played the previous installments, was the cover system that poor before?

the alien character models are at least distinct and varied. not too close to star wars knockoffs

BaronIveagh:
I'm not really surprised with this review, the escapist last night was announcing how Miracle of Sound was going to be on Bioware TV. Between that and the non-stop gushing about the trailers, not surprised at all.

Couldn't be because we think the game is actually that damn good, could it?

And of course we're going to encourage people to go watch Gavin - why wouldn't we? He works for us, and our readers really love him. How would we look if we didn't tell people to go watch him?

Susan Arendt:

BaronIveagh:
I'm not really surprised with this review, the escapist last night was announcing how Miracle of Sound was going to be on Bioware TV. Between that and the non-stop gushing about the trailers, not surprised at all.

And of course we're going to encourage people to go watch Gavin - why wouldn't we? He works for us, and our readers really love him. How would we look if we didn't tell people to go watch him?

Don't bother.

Most people have made up their minds as to whether they think ME3 is going to be good or not and any reviewer who gives the game a high score is going to be accused of, well, you know.

Remember the DA2 review?

Haters gonna hate, right?

I can't wait for the game. Stupid EU release date...

Susan Arendt:

BaronIveagh:

Don't be silly. You're clearly one of the EA marketing droids. No one could possibly just like the game.
That's insane!

OT - Like Daystar, I'm going to just play the game and enjoy the hell out of it, regardless of any faults. I'm sure I'll be called a corporate tool by some whiny little tossers but I really don't care.

Blunderboy:

OT - Like Daystar, I'm going to just play the game and enjoy the hell out of it, regardless of any faults. I'm sure I'll be called a corporate tool by some whiny little tossers but I really don't care.

I cannot tell you how happy reading that made me. Good for you, man. :)

Susan Arendt:

I didn't find the small squad pool to be a problem, and while I didn't love the game's ending(s), they didn't diminish the overall experience for me at all.

I didn't have a problem with the small squad either, I just figured that it will get filled in with DLC.

Sorry , in my case it broke the flow of the story for me badly and made the game feel as though it was rushed. It was a classic Deus Ex Machina and given Bioware's reputation for good storytelling, that's something they should know better then do.

Susan Arendt:

Blunderboy:

I cannot tell you how happy reading that made me. Good for you, man. :)

My pleasure. Writing it beats the hell out of the office stationary order I'm supposed to be doing right now. I can't wait til my preorder arrives. I hope it gets here in time for Friday.

Yes! Oh my gosh, I'm shaking with excitement! I couldn't go pick it up at midnight, but I will now. Thanks for the confirmation, Susan. Knew it would be great :D

Susan Arendt:

BaronIveagh:

Because ponies.

Seriously though, you (and everyone else) liked the game, they didn't (or just choose not to out of spite of just not liking origin or what-not) therefore, they're going to find any reason to devalue your opinion because people on the internet lack to ability to admit that something they don't personally like is good.

Anyways, while the endings kinda "eh" for me, I'm glad they ended Shepard's story before it got to Assassin's Creed levels of ridiculousness. I'll enjoy the hell out of the other 20 hours of it.

All the butthurt bitching and moaning from people who haven't even played the game. It's delicious.

MiracleOfSound:
All the butthurt bitching and moaning from people who haven't even played the game. It's delicious.

You love the taste of butthurt, Gavin?

That's kind of weird, dude :D

This is turning out to be a good upcoming spring break for me.

Despite all the hate and controversy around the game, I'm just glad I finally get to get my hands on it and form my own opinion and have fun with it. I'm ready to see how the endgame plays out for shepard.

This plus Street fighter x Tekken and a new skyrim characters started = Best spring break ever!!

Still Life:
Been playing it.

My. God.

It's pretty much everything I could have hoped for. I'm having a ton of fun!

On what system? PC getting a lot of bad word of mouth. I tried origin to try to get the demo and it wouldn't even start on my 64 bit windows 7 PC build.

I've heard Kinnect works with it, PS3 Move too?

BaronIveagh:

How dare Susan enjoy a game you didn't!

And how dare she support a co-worker of hers who got an amazing opportunity!

CORRUPTION I SAY! HARRUMPH! HARRUMPH!

(Goes back to enjoying ME3)

Lower than DA2? Oh shit, didn't think it'd be that bad.

Susan Arendt:

Susan, the problem is that I've been told what to write by my bosses about more then one EA release. DA2 was a 'GOTY' and a '9 out of 10' before they ever let me see it, because EA was dumping more advertising dollars on us then God. Then I got to play it and it sucked.

So, when I see a site start publishing gushing reviews when all we have is a trailer, it sends up all sorts of warning flags to me, because I once had to write those myself. Particularly when regulars like Gavin are getting something out of it, much as IGN is. I don't write reviews for (video) games anymore, and am glad of it.

MiracleOfSound:

Sorry, nice try, but no dice. I have played it.

And at no point have I said that any of the non-staff posters were incorrect in the fact they liked it, I simply stated that I don't trust the review, because members of the staff (which I am including you in, right or wrong) benefited from it, albeit indirectly.

Personally, I didn't like the game, despite the fact that gameplay was fun (except the bugs) because I was playing it to find out the ending of the story, not because I needed another game to play.

It's the ending we deserve.

BUT NOT THE ONE WE NEED.

I'll stop now.

Well, now I'm really excited for this game... Dammit Susan, I need to eat!

BaronIveagh:

Susan Arendt:

Susan, the problem is that I've been told what to write by my bosses about more then one EA release. DA2 was a 'GOTY' and a '9 out of 10' before they ever let me see it, because EA was dumping more advertising dollars on us then God. Then I got to play it and it sucked.

So, when I see a site start publishing gushing reviews when all we have is a trailer, it sends up all sorts of warning flags to me, because I once had to write those myself. Particularly when regulars like Gavin are getting something out of it, much as IGN is. I don't write reviews for (video) games anymore, and am glad of it.

If you think I've been bought, don't read my reviews. Or the reviews of anyone here. Ever. Either you trust us not to bullshit you, or you don't.

I take my integrity very seriously. I can't imagine a payoff that would be big enough to be worth ruining my good name for. You can't get trust back once you've squandered it. Why the hell would I ruin my relationship with readers to please EA? People throw out accusations of corruption so casually, and I don't think they really think through what they're suggesting.

But whatever. You had a bad experience, so you assume all sites are on the take. C'est la vie.

MiracleOfSound:

Gavin, everything you do makes us love you all the more :D Shine on, you crazy diamond!

BaronIveagh:

Pray tell... what exactly do I have to gain from ME3 getting a good review?

This I have to hear.

I just knew Susan was going to review this game.

No offence Susan but I just seem to disagree with you at every turn.

Anyway, I'll get this game on Xbox when it becomes cheap (Ł20 will do), and even then I still need to start playing ME2, so it'll be a while seeing as I can't seem to muster the enthusiasm to even touch ME anymore.

I just wish I had time to complete my replay of ME2 before this came out. CURSE YOU SKYRIM!
Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the combat controls annoying, I really wish they had included a control guide with the demo. I died quite a few times because it wouldn't tell me how to throw grenades, and also because my squad-mates weren't as helpful as they had been previously.

I have to say one thing, the one thing pirates who get the game days early do is allow me to get actual gameplay opinions, bugs, pros and cons before release. They are doing maybe not a service to the industry but a service to people like me who are leery of EA (and it's new aquisition, Bioware). I won't be pirating it though, i would rather have it on steam. Or wait for a GOTY edition and hope someones made it so Origin isn't required to use it full stop, their EULA be fucked in the eyesocket. Opinions of the Escapist team also noted.

Freechoice:
They didn't get rid of the planet scanning mechanic? Jesus Christ.

Now with 100% more Reapers chasing your ass...

...awesome*...

*/sarcasm

MiracleOfSound:

BaronIveagh:

This I have to hear.

Sensual back rubs from Wrex of course.

Susan Arendt:
-snip-

Hang on, just a question, are the RPG elements more in depth, like the first Mass Effect, did they stick to the Mass Effect 2 model or did they go for a middle ground?

MiracleOfSound:

BaronIveagh:
-snipping out meanness-

This I have to hear.

A date with Liara or Miranda?

I'm enjoying the game so far, sadly the multiplayer is a little broken right now.
Some people (myself included) are experiencing lost weapons/characters; and there are some problems with setting certain match choices. A bioware employee on their forums said they were looking into it hopefully they'll figure it out soon, I'm unfortunately stuck with having my Quarian Infiltrator locked out to me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here