Mass Effect 3 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Marshall Honorof:

PingoBlack:

Andy Chalk:
I guess we'll just take your word for it then.

Author and editor lower themselves to actively trying to belittle people that express rather widely held concern about state of the media and industry? If you have nothing to hide, act with dignity. But the way you are reacting so severely to what is to all intent and purpose just another post on forums is ... Bad.

Acting with dignity also involves not indicting a proven author's journalistic integrity in the first place.

Erm... not really. Dignity is a term used to define the way in which one conducts oneself when choosing a certain action to take, not the action itself. One could indict a proven author's journalistic integrity, and do it with dignity. Conversely, one could also try to defend said author's integrity, but do so in a rude, abrasive fashion completely devoid of any form of dignity.

Defending fellow contributers to a site is well and dandy, but don't use non-sequiturs to do so.

Paragon Fury:
Well, the review is accurate.....except for a few things.

1 - A significant amount of your choices from the previous two games have no impact on the ultimate outcome, even the seemingly important choices. Most things are relegated to one-liner acknowledgements.

2 - Your squad pool is stupidly small, and definitely limits you a lot more in composition than ME2 or even ME1.

3 - All of the game's ending's suck. Every. single. one. Not only are they terribly written, each of them causing massive plot holes/inconsistencies by their existence or implied outcomes (Hint: One of the biggest bombs in the game comes right at the end, where it makes everything that made sense before not make sense any more, ever), but exactly none of them are fulfilling and one is likely to leave people frothing with rage because it is so bad.

4 - The story assumes the player knows a lot more about ME than many will - a shit ton of players who didn't read all of the books are going to be confused as the why Anderson is no longer Councilor even though they picked him in ME1.

5 - There are several annoying glitches, including one that often causes the game to not be able to read your face gen date from ME2 characters, meaning you have to have the code written down or memorized exactly how to customize your character.

because I really CBA to read the novels before Friday, what happened to Anderson?

Other than that, I think I may literally explode with hype if I hear just one more good thing about this game before I get it.

Sooooo muuuuch hyperbole...yuck.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Paragon Fury:

1 - A significant amount of your choices from the previous two games have no impact on the ultimate outcome, even the seemingly important choices. Most things are relegated to one-liner acknowledgements.

2 - Your squad pool is stupidly small, and definitely limits you a lot more in composition than ME2 or even ME1.

3 - All of the game's ending's suck. Every. single. one. Not only are they terribly written, each of them causing massive plot holes/inconsistencies by their existence or implied outcomes (Hint: One of the biggest bombs in the game comes right at the end, where it makes everything that made sense before not make sense any more, ever), but exactly none of them are fulfilling and one is likely to leave people frothing with rage because it is so bad.

4 - The story assumes the player knows a lot more about ME than many will - a shit ton of players who didn't read all of the books are going to be confused as the why Anderson is no longer Councilor even though they picked him in ME1.

5 - There are several annoying glitches, including one that often causes the game to not be able to read your face gen date from ME2 characters, meaning you have to have the code written down or memorized exactly how to customize your character.

because I really CBA to read the novels before Friday, what happened to Anderson?

Other than that, I think I may literally explode with hype if I hear just one more good thing about this game before I get it.

Anything to maximize the profit potential and really milk the franchise...starting to seriously think that BF3 will be the last EA game I will ever buy. At least at full price. I'll definitely not get ME3 at full price. We'll see when the complete edition goes on sale somewhere for 9.99...might get it then. If I'm not forced to use Origin...

Meh... :-/
Still not going to buy it.
Maybe...
Maybe if a GOTY edition or other form of game + all dlc pack comes up in a steam sale... Maybe...

This game has blown my mind... I actually LIKE Udina in it! Also, he dyed his hair. Random.

And Diana Allers? Yeah, she's sorta annoying. :(

Susan Arendt:

BaronIveagh:

Susan Arendt:

Couldn't be because we think the game is actually that damn good, could it?

And of course we're going to encourage people to go watch Gavin - why wouldn't we? He works for us, and our readers really love him. How would we look if we didn't tell people to go watch him?

Susan, the problem is that I've been told what to write by my bosses about more then one EA release. DA2 was a 'GOTY' and a '9 out of 10' before they ever let me see it, because EA was dumping more advertising dollars on us then God. Then I got to play it and it sucked.

So, when I see a site start publishing gushing reviews when all we have is a trailer, it sends up all sorts of warning flags to me, because I once had to write those myself. Particularly when regulars like Gavin are getting something out of it, much as IGN is. I don't write reviews for (video) games anymore, and am glad of it.

If you think I've been bought, don't read my reviews. Or the reviews of anyone here. Ever. Either you trust us not to bullshit you, or you don't.

I take my integrity very seriously. I can't imagine a payoff that would be big enough to be worth ruining my good name for. You can't get trust back once you've squandered it. Why the hell would I ruin my relationship with readers to please EA? People throw out accusations of corruption so casually, and I don't think they really think through what they're suggesting.

But whatever. You had a bad experience, so you assume all sites are on the take. C'est la vie.

Which is exactly what you would say if you wanted to maintain your integrity. Look, I dont know you, im just a random stranger that would like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but the fact remains that the cynicism surrounding not just games journalism but journalism general is well deserved. You're review paints an extremely rosy picture, even putting planet scanning in a happy light . . . so the two realistic possibilities are that: 1) You genuinely enjoyed the game that much (which I will personally take your word for) or 2) There's something influencing the objectivity of the review that isn't being disclosed.

Just remember, what happened to Jeff Gerstmann is still fresh in a lot of people's minds 5 years after the fact

Therumancer:
One warning:

The PC version of this game has some serious problems right out of the box. I ordered my Collector's edition from Amazon.com (still en-route) but my dad who didn't want a CE just got his from Gamestop and has been trying to get it to run behind me. The problem is Origin won't launch the game on windows 7 systems saying it's not compadible with 64 bit tech. He spent some time getting ahold of one of their customer service guys in a chat mode who told him that ME3 will not run under the current version of the Origin software, implying there was an update needed, the problem being that the most recent version of Origin availible is the same one he happens to be using.

I am not going to say ALL PC users will run into this problem, if you've gotten it running, good for you, but he has run into this problem and has a pretty good rig (and it's not a hardware issue, the CS Rep even said it's Origin). To save yourself some frustration if your still waiting to install it, you might give it a day or two despite the massive anticipation because it seems EA apparently has some things to iron out with Origin... which is absolutly insane with a release like this.

If you happen to have hit this wall, your not alone, and apparently they are working on resolving it whenever they get that "new version" of Origin out there.

mine worked just fine but I updated origin prior to launch and made sure ally settings were set. I'm playing the pc version.

Well the greatest question of them all is: Are you able to finger quote the turian councilor?

PingoBlack:

Andy Chalk:
I guess we'll just take your word for it then.

Author and editor lower themselves to actively trying to belittle people that express rather widely held concern about state of the media and industry? If you have nothing to hide, act with dignity. But the way you are reacting so severely to what is to all intent and purpose just another post on forums is ... Bad.

At least it smells to me that way. Perhaps you will enjoy your "fans" cheering you on, but you just made me make consider weather another year's subscription here is money well spent.

There are much better ways of insuring your journalistic integrity. At least have the balls to admit your scores are complete publisher service, since we have not seen a game get 2 or 3 in ages, hm?
No offense Susan, but your defense just made me lose a good ton of my own belief in your integrity. You are obviously a fan of the series, which is in itself a problem when you are supposed to score things objectively.

I didn't realize "expressing rather widely held concerns about the state of the media and industry" is what we're calling trolling these days.

Also, it's the third game of the series. You're either a fan or you aren't.

Wow, you know things are getting absolutely ludicrous when just about every positive review, on any site, about any game (big or small) is automatically branded as "bought" by the publishers and the reviewers integrity immediately called into question. I think people are getting way to overzealous about gaming these days and seriously need to have their heads and priorities examined.

Fifty-One:
Also, it's the third game of the series. You're either a fan or you aren't.

Fans are just by definition not objective. From that perspective it would be better for someone who is not a fan to do a review.

Unless you equate not being a fan with the concept of "hater". Your quick use of term "trolling"
somewhat supports this notion. I hope I am wrong of course.

But I will hereby claim this:
Not being a fan does not equal being a "hater".

krellen:
I was really hoping this review would tell me whether or not I would like the game, but it left out a pressing question: if someone hated ME2, but loved ME1, would they enjoy ME3?

Hmm....depends on why you hated ME2, I think. Can you expand on that a bit?

Daystar Clarion:
I won't be joining the contingent of whiners and naysayers.

I'm sure there will be faults, there always are, but the overall experience is bound to be worth it.

I salute you. There is no game that doesn't have any faults. Everyone needs to sit back, take a chill pill and just enjoy the game they want to play. If they don't think they will like it, will no one is holding a gun to their head.

SurfinTaxt:

Paragon Fury:

Wow.. you really need to read the novels to understand what the hell is going on? It explains why ME2 made no damn sense

No, no, you don't have to have read the novels to understand what's going on at all. I haven't read any of the books and I had no trouble following along at all.

Dear god the amount of entitlement surrounding this game is unbelievable... Seriously, the game and its writing are the property of Bioware and they can do what they want to do with it. If it turns out that EA stopped them from doing what they want, rage on EA.

It simply comes down to whether you think cash spent > enjoyment got from game, if you don't think so then don't buy it. From my experience 'The Escapist' is pretty reliable and reasonable. Hats off for the great great review.

krellen:
I was really hoping this review would tell me whether or not I would like the game, but it left out a pressing question: if someone hated ME2, but loved ME1, would they enjoy ME3?

So far I've only played the demo but I'll say this for it. The combat isn't quite as cover dependent as ME2's was. It is still cover based, but there's a much bigger focus on moving around, rather than just choosing one wall to hide behind and then just mowing everybody down from there.

Whether or not that means anything positive to you I don't know.

SurfinTaxt:

Daystar Clarion:

BaronIveagh:

Yes, but in this case it's a wonderful three course meal interrupted by being forced to drink a vial of arsenic. It rather spoils the whole thing.

I'm easily impressed, so I very much doubt that ME3 won't be one my favourite gaming experiences of all time.

I haven't come this far for nothing.

hangin' on a prayer... it almost sounds like you're trying to convince yourself

Not really :D

A lot of people did nothing but bitch and moan about ME2, while our very own escapist staff lauded it as a great game.

I loved ME2.

So chances are, I'm more inclined to follow the opinion of Susan, than some nitpicking nobody on the internet.

BaronIveagh:

MiracleOfSound:

Except that I don't have to give up any creative rights. At all.

Bioware and I are just mutual fans who like eachother's work.

Dunno why that's such a difficult notion to grasp.

I didn't say you did, I said that in the past, artists have done that. And Bioware has been very deliberate in their music selection in the past, why would they deviate from that now (not implying that you are not good, but rather that Bioware has selected every song up to this point very deliberately to produce certain outcomes, but in this case, the logic they used is not clear.)

The logic is perfectly clear: They genuinely enjoy Gavin's work and think it's a cool way to promote their game. They had his song "Normandy" playing on a loop over their booth at PAX, they've had him on BioWare TV before. They're fans. He, likewise, is a huge fan of Mass Effect, which comes through in his songs. He also has quite a following, which gives them some bonus advertising, word of mouth, and PR opportunities with hardcore gamers. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. I fail to see the mystery here.

Susan Arendt:

BaronIveagh:

MiracleOfSound:

Except that I don't have to give up any creative rights. At all.

Bioware and I are just mutual fans who like eachother's work.

Dunno why that's such a difficult notion to grasp.

I didn't say you did, I said that in the past, artists have done that. And Bioware has been very deliberate in their music selection in the past, why would they deviate from that now (not implying that you are not good, but rather that Bioware has selected every song up to this point very deliberately to produce certain outcomes, but in this case, the logic they used is not clear.)

The logic is perfectly clear: They genuinely enjoy Gavin's work and think it's a cool way to promote their game. They had his song "Normandy" playing on a loop over their booth at PAX, they've had him on BioWare TV before. They're fans. He, likewise, is a huge fan of Mass Effect, which comes through in his songs. He also has quite a following, which gives them some bonus advertising, word of mouth, and PR opportunities with hardcore gamers. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. I fail to see the mystery here.

Gavin is an amazing musician, it is such a shame to see why people have to hate on him. Bioware has provided an amazing opportunity to open Gavin up to more of the world. They have him promoting their games with his music and Gavin gets his music and talent out there for everyone to hear and experience. Its a mutually beneficial for both of them. Also great reviews Susan. I generally don't read reviews due to having made my mind up already or not interested and this was like the third or fourth review I read on this site. Time to start reading more because it sure feels like The Escapist has made the good line of fans of games and journalism integrity.

Susan Arendt:

krellen:

I feel it changed the whole feel of Mass Effect. From the game mechanics turning from an RPG with shooter elements (I liked that I had to level up a gun skill to be effective) to a shooter with very very light RPG elements to the story turning from a hopeful and optimistic defence against horror to a dark and dreary "there is no light" feel to the environments changing from expansive (if bumpy and mountainous) alien vistas to a series of tight, largely brown corridors, ME2 didn't even feel like it was in the same genre as ME1.

The tiny bits of gameplay I saw in your review seemed to suggest ME3 draws far more heavily on ME2 than ME1, but there really just wasn't enough information to make a clear judgement on it.

I'm trying to play all the recent Mass Effect games just to build up the depth of the story into my mind so I can get prepared for Mass Effect 3. Even though I am not that big of a fan towards the series, it's really something and I believe Susan has just confirmed what I really hoped the game had in stored for us - importance.

There's nothing better then feeling important when you play. If a story is great in everything yet your choices are the biggest pro for this game then by all means I am very happy and shall buy thing soon enough.. around Easter I suppose. Anyhow really well said, I liked how you kept the spoilers from this review so thank you for that. Looking forward to finishing the first two up for this epic piece of the story!

BaronIveagh:

You've completely lost me, I've no idea what you're talking about - outcomes? Music selection? 'Take It Back' is just a fan made song they asked for to have something cool for the launch.

krellen:

Susan Arendt:

krellen:

I feel it changed the whole feel of Mass Effect. From the game mechanics turning from an RPG with shooter elements (I liked that I had to level up a gun skill to be effective) to a shooter with very very light RPG elements to the story turning from a hopeful and optimistic defence against horror to a dark and dreary "there is no light" feel to the environments changing from expansive (if bumpy and mountainous) alien vistas to a series of tight, largely brown corridors, ME2 didn't even feel like it was in the same genre as ME1.

The tiny bits of gameplay I saw in your review seemed to suggest ME3 draws far more heavily on ME2 than ME1, but there really just wasn't enough information to make a clear judgement on it.

Ah, ok, that helps a lot. Yes, ME3 is much more like 2 than 1. I'd go so far as to call it a shooter with an exceptional story, rather than an RPG. (That's just my personal interpretation, however. Your mileage may vary.)

I will say, though, that the story is quite bleak. It's the end of the world, after all, and the tone reflects that. It's excellent, but don't expect many moments of levity. As for the look of it, there are lots of wide-open spaces (usually full of things trying to kill you), and I found the environments to be pleasantly varied.

Susan Arendt:

The problem word is relationship. It's hard to review games objectively when you have a relationship with the company, even via association.

While I understand that the staff at The Escapist is excited to play a new Bioware game, much of the site's reporting on Bioware in general is colored by this. Andy's review of one of the last trailers positively gushed with enthusiasm. I don't begrudge him that, but the problem is that it came through in his article.

One comment I've often gotten in writing P&P gaming reviews for Dark Reign is how surprised the book authors and editors are to get fairly positive reviews, because they know that I'm not easily won over, and can get rather harsh when presented with a sub standard work. Personal opinion, but I feel that the games media needs to consider being harsher with games. They hand out 8's 9's and 10's like candy, even to games that it's pretty obvious don't deserve them. And, again, before anyone freaks, this is not just an issue here or even to this specific game.

Well, that's my point, and I'm sure that people are lining up to call me all sorts of filthy names, but there you have it.

Therumancer:

Freechoice:
They didn't get rid of the planet scanning mechanic? Jesus Christ.

Personally I was most disappointed with how it seems you have to run from the Reapers pursueing instead of there being a space combat mechanic implemented.

That said, I liked the way how they did the planetary exploration and mining in ME1, they just needed to put more stuff on the planet to make it a little more exciting. Skimming through my strategy guide (I don't want too many spoilers yet, and I have yet to get a copy installed) it doesn't appear there is even a vehicle component to this one, though I imagine it could be added later.

How DO YOU have a space combat with them?

From the very demo itself, you could see that the Earth forces were utterly obliterated within first hour or so of the attack. And in ME, entire Citadel's troops had to mobilize to destroy one of those bastards.

SurfinTaxt:

Paragon Fury:

Wow.. you really need to read the novels to understand what the hell is going on? It explains why ME2 made no damn sense

...What? The only thing in ME2 that you need to read the novels for is learning the details about why Tali hates Cerberus in the beginning of that game. But she tells you in game so that point is mute.

ME2 was almost completely self-contained as a story, save for some general theme things that you could easily pick up by just paying attention.

Seriously, I played Mass Effect 2 before I even picked up the first one, and I understood the plot fine. The only thing that going back and playing the first game got me was the ability to get some of the quick off-hand references, which wasn't required at all.

If you hate the Mass Effect games that's fine, I hate certain games as well, but don't complain about how the plot didn't make sense to you, when obviously you didn't want to understand it in the first place.

BaronIveagh:

Susan Arendt:

The problem word is relationship. It's hard to review games objectively when you have a relationship with the company, even via association.

While I understand that the staff at The Escapist is excited to play a new Bioware game, much of the site's reporting on Bioware in general is colored by this. Andy's review of one of the last trailers positively gushed with enthusiasm. I don't begrudge him that, but the problem is that it came through in his article.

One comment I've often gotten in writing P&P gaming reviews for Dark Reign is how surprised the book authors and editors are to get fairly positive reviews, because they know that I'm not easily won over, and can get rather harsh when presented with a sub standard work. Personal opinion, but I feel that the games media needs to consider being harsher with games. They hand out 8's 9's and 10's like candy, even to games that it's pretty obvious don't deserve them. And, again, before anyone freaks, this is not just an issue here or even to this specific game.

Well, that's my point, and I'm sure that people are lining up to call me all sorts of filthy names, but there you have it.

But Gavin doesn't review games, so I don't understand your point. If I had been the one doing videos, you'd be right, that'd be a conflict of interest. So is your suggestion because Gavin did Mass Effect songs that I'm biased?

undeadsuitor:

SurfinTaxt:

Paragon Fury:

...What? The only thing in ME2 that you need to read the novels for is learning the details about why Tali hates Cerberus in the beginning of that game. But she tells you in game so that point is mute.

ME2 was almost completely self-contained as a story, save for some general theme things that you could easily pick up by just paying attention.

Seriously, I played Mass Effect 2 before I even picked up the first one, and I understood the plot fine. The only thing that going back and playing the first game got me was the ability to get some of the quick off-hand references, which wasn't required at all.

If you hate the Mass Effect games that's fine, I hate certain games as well, but don't complain about how the plot didn't make sense to you, when obviously you didn't want to understand it in the first place.

Well that explains why it made sense to you, you had no sense of continuity. The first game ended with you ending a reaper. Nothing in the second game mattered, there was no sense of gravitas or reason for doing anything.

Susan Arendt:
Ah, ok, that helps a lot. Yes, ME3 is much more like 2 than 1. I'd go so far as to call it a shooter with an exceptional story, rather than an RPG. (That's just my personal interpretation, however. Your mileage may vary.)

That pretty much tells me what I was looking for, thanks. I guess I misunderstood the latest podcast when you said your opinion had been changed on RPGs; I thought you meant it that you'd been convinced ME3 was one.

krellen:

Susan Arendt:

That pretty much tells me what I was looking for, thanks. I guess I misunderstood the latest podcast when you said your opinion had been changed on RPGs; I thought you meant it that you'd been convinced ME3 was one.

In the sense that your conversation choices have impact on the world (and change it), it is an RPG. But, to me, the game feels more like a shooter. There is such an emphasis on combat, and the combat is quite challenging, that I feel like it really wants you to concentrate on that aspect of the game. I won't say it upstages the plot, but I do feel like it's more to the forefront than it was before.

Susan Arendt:

Exactly. It takes a very short-sighted person to fail to realize how the song benefits both me and them, as well as being something fun and awesome for me to be involved in.

SurfinTaxt:

Well that explains why it made sense to you, you had no sense of continuity. The first game ended with you ending a reaper. Nothing in the second game mattered, there was no sense of gravitas or reason for doing anything.

So which is it? Did it not make sense, or did it not matter? You seem to understand the plot fine when it suits your argument.

The point of the second game was that the collectors were abducting humans by the hundreds-of-thousands, and were working for the reapers. It wasn't even a twist, practically after your first run in with them they were tied to the reapers from then on.

Sure, it wasn't as "fantasy epic" as the first one, it was just on a smaller more focused scope.

Aaaaaand bracket changed again. I'M RELYING ON YOU, SUSAN.

Susan Arendt:

But Gavin doesn't review games, so I don't understand your point. If I had been the one doing videos, you'd be right, that'd be a conflict of interest. So is your suggestion because Gavin did Mass Effect songs that I'm biased?

That's a loaded question, but I'll answer it anyway. While I cannot say for certain that you wrote a biased review, I can say that at some level, it does influence you, just as being around people that are excited about the game (regardless of reason) would influence you. Example: I wrote a review for Edge of the Abyss from FFG, and rather thsn sit back and mull it over for a while, I took it right into a gaming group and we went over it. This was a mistake, and you can see the difference between it, which I'm positively gushing about it, and other books where I'm more staid. This was caused by the effect of the people I had gone over it with influencing my own opinion.

Had I written it following my usual system, it would not have scored as highly.

I'm looking forward to playing this. If I'm honest, the sheer amount of entitled bile and too-cool-for-this smirking hatred getting lobbed at the game makes me more skeptical of its bad points than Susan's glowing remarks make me skeptical of its good ones.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here