Trailers: Assassin's Creed 3 - Reveal Trailer

Assassin's Creed 3 - Reveal Trailer

Now you can slaughter the Redcoats like you've always wanted to.

Watch Video

I really hope they don't wimp out and rewrite history by making the Americans angelically good.

As long as they avoid doing that, guaranteed rental from me.

You will fight the Brits to begin with because they will kill your family but later will learn the founding fathers were evil and Templars. The game's set over thirty years this is clearly the plot and I will eat my considerable collection of expensive ties if I'm wrong.

KLJT:
You will fight the Brits to begin with because they will kill your family but later will learn the founding fathers were evil and Templars. The game's set over thirty years this is clearly the plot and I will eat my considerable collection of expensive ties if I'm wrong.

nah...not marketable enough.
what if some "allies" of these founding fathers turn out to be templars and traitors to the cause, and you save the americans by eliminating them.

Washington has already been established as a Templar in AC2 and Brotherhood; would be a bit odd if they glossed over that in the third one. In fact am I right in saying many founding fathers were Freemasons in real life? (I'm British so probably know less about founding fathers then most yanks do)

KLJT:

I get the feeling that their will be Templars on both sides keeping their bases covered.

EDIT:also I doubt Franklin would be a templar.

STOP - UPLOADING - THE SAME - TRAILERS - TWICE!!
...please?

kurupt87:
I really hope they don't wimp out and rewrite history by making the Americans angelically good.

KLJT:

I'm with you two.

I mean seriously, If the 'screed series suddenly starts having something to do with unwavering patriotic loyalty to a nation's flag and decides that every British person of the era was a templar servant, then the game will honestly be straying from what made it appealing in the first place. Declaring loyalty any kind of banner - isn't that diametrically opposed to the ethos of the Assasin's order? And I'm not just saying that because it's my former ancestors that he's murdering in that video.

Hey, his use of a tomahawk may mean he's a Native-American character. I think that could work - a native American would be rightfully furious at both sides of the conflict.

On a lighter note, thank god we're rid of Ezio. I refused to buy Revelations simply because giving him a third installment stank to high heavens of profit-centric stagnation. I hope that they cram some exposition into 'screed 3 just so I don't have to go out and play as a once-likeable character I got well and truly sick of.

Also, does anyone else wonder why the Assassins can't do their jobs properly anymore?

I mean, who remembers Altair? Y'know, the quiet, inconspicuous guy who would canonically assassinate only his target and then slip away into the crowd, flummoxing the guards by hiding in plain sight? y'know, the guy who actually understood what his own mission statement and optimum strategy was?

Why is it that ever since then, the Assassins have decided to abandon the very approach that made them so fucking cool to begin with? Altair's exploits were almost harrowing to play, but ubisoft Montreal decided to "fix" what made the game so interesting. In 'screed 2 for instance, you'd challenge yourself to get in, Assassinate, and get out while causing minimal trouble. In the first game, you just wouldn't get a choice.

I remember that particularly moronic trailer for Brotherhood, in which Ezio decides that the best way to get at his target would be have his rooftop archers infiltrate the place, and then brazenly walk right on up to the guy's guardsmen with his sword out and his own little backup team. Apparently, disguising himself as one of the heavily armoured guards would have been far too difficult for a supposed master of stealth. And then the game spent most of it's time kicking you headlong into showy, violent duels. They were pretty cool, but completely unchallenging! they completely rubbed out your incentive to be sneaky, and defied their apparent belief that unnecessary killing is a bad thing.

Altair started his installment by recieving a swift kick in the nuts from both his enemies and his master for being showy, aggressive and arrogant. A large portion of the first game was spent following Altair as he was put through various trials by the order that were intended to teach him a valuable lesson about having humility and patience, about remaining unseen unless totally necessary (because those guards are damned hard to get rid of in the first installment), about minimising the number of kills to ideally just the main target and no-one else (not even their guards, if possible) and were intended to hammer the order's goals and methods into him: Assassination is a weapon that must only be used sparingly, and only with foresight, patience, careful consideration and as much wisdom and good judgement as can be mustered in order to preserve the precious lives of the innocent. An Assassin who ends up fighting the guardsmen is an Assassin who needs to shape up or ship out.

Cue 'screed 2, which responds to these methods with "WOOOO LOOK AT ME, IMMA BIG ITALIAN SWORDSMAN! it's not hypocritical to slaughter the guards in a variety of inventive ways in my campaign to spread enlightenment and preserve the existence of the innocent! They're the designated enemies! let's go sword some blameless men just following orders because it's so much more convenient than stealth!

I remember doing one mission in Brotherhood where I had to assassinate one guy who was standing in a corner beneath an archway-thing with two entrances, both of which had two guards each standing watch. With no way in, I drifted along amongst the crowds until I was close, then pointed the poison dart launcher at him, fired it as soon as the throng cleared for a moment, and the strode off amongst them while my target slowly went mad and the guards were completely bewildered.

The game penalised me for that by telling me it wasn't the "preferred" method. What I was supposed to do for the full reward was put two of my recruits at unnecessary risk by having them goomba-stomp the fucking guardsmen, resulting in the slaughter of four men, all so I could chase my newly-alerted target through the crowded streets and brzenly run him through with my sword in full view of everyone in Rome.

Uh, yeah. Back on-topic: I hope there's less of that bullshit in this upcoming installment of a series that used to be about stealth and infiltration.

I really hope this is only an opening chapter of a story that quickly moves back to Europe. Hopping through the trees and in the broad streets of colonial Philadelphia just doesn't have the appeal of 18th century London or revolutionary Paris.

Webb Myers:
I really hope this is only an opening chapter of a story that quickly moves back to Europe. Hopping through the trees and in the broad streets of colonial Philadelphia just doesn't have the appeal of 18th century London or revolutionary Paris.

The "wilderness" as they call it is supposed to be 1.5X the size of Brotherhood's Rome with Boston, New York and a few unnamed locations as well so I think it will stay in America

DressedInRags:

kurupt87:

KLJT:

I'm with you two.

I mean seriously, If the 'screed series suddenly starts having something to do with unwavering patriotic loyalty to a nation's flag and decides that every British person of the era was a templar servant, then the game will honestly be straying from what made it appealing in the first place. Declaring loyalty any kind of banner - isn't that diametrically opposed to the ethos of the Assasin's order? And I'm not just saying that because it's my former ancestors that he's murdering in that video.

Hey, his use of a tomahawk may mean he's a Native-American character. I think that could work - a native American would be rightfully furious at both sides of the conflict.

On a lighter note, thank god we're rid of Ezio. I refused to buy Revelations simply because giving him a third installment stank to high heavens of profit-centric stagnation. I hope that they cram some exposition into 'screed 3 just so I don't have to go out and play as a once-likeable character I got well and truly sick of.

Also, does anyone else wonder why the Assassins can't do their jobs properly anymore?

I mean, who remembers Altair? Y'know, the quiet, inconspicuous guy who would canonically assassinate only his target and then slip away into the crowd, flummoxing the guards by hiding in plain sight? y'know, the guy who actually understood what his own mission statement and optimum strategy was?

Why is it that ever since then, the Assassins have decided to abandon the very approach that made them so fucking cool to begin with? Altair's exploits were almost harrowing to play, but ubisoft Montreal decided to "fix" what made the game so interesting. In 'screed 2 for instance, you'd challenge yourself to get in, Assassinate, and get out while causing minimal trouble. In the first game, you just wouldn't get a choice.

I remember that particularly moronic trailer for Brotherhood, in which Ezio decides that the best way to get at his target would be have his rooftop archers infiltrate the place, and then brazenly walk right on up to the guy's guardsmen with his sword out and his own little backup team. Apparently, disguising himself as one of the heavily armoured guards would have been far too difficult for a supposed master of stealth. And then the game spent most of it's time kicking you headlong into showy, violent duels. They were pretty cool, but completely unchallenging! they completely rubbed out your incentive to be sneaky, and defied their apparent belief that unnecessary killing is a bad thing.

I remember doing one mission where I had to assassinate one guy who was standing in a corner beneath an archway-thing with two entrances, both of which had two guards each standing watch. With no way in, I drifted along amongst the crowds until I was close, then pointed the poison dart launcher at him, fired it as soon as the throng cleared for a moment, and the strode off amongst them while my target slowly went mad and the guards were completely bewildered.

The game penalised me for that by telling me it wasn't the "preferred" method. What I was supposed to do for the full reward was put two of my recruits at unnecessary risk by having them goomba-stomp the fucking guardsmen, resulting in the slaughter of four men, all so I could chase my newly-alerted target through the crowded streets and brzenly run him through with my sword in full view of everyone in Rome.

uh, yeah. Back on-topic: I hope there's less of that bullshit in this upcoming installment of a series that used to be about stealth and infiltration.

Oh to answer the obvious point of that statement; the character is a half Native American half Englishman so no doubt in my mind to whether or not you will end up fighting the yanks

wow might have to pass this one. There's a million over places I'd rather see then snow woods.

Ha ha ha, I mean I love the setting but good lord was that trailer not cheesy as all hell!

KLJT:
...(I'm British so probably know less about founding fathers then most yanks do)

You'd be surprised.

Tsaba:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20100329

Someone freaking called it.

I wish he was right about the woman thing too. Would have been an interesting twist to mix things up.

Aside from the cheese-splosion, I hope - I sincerely hope - that this will not be a game about bald eagles crying and a Mel Gibson expy running around and being too noble for his own good.

On the other hand, the "*gasp* there are Templars controlling both sides!" twist has been done to death and back in AC. I wonder which Designated Historical Villains will be Templars this time. And which Designated Historical Good Guys will be Ezio's... I mean, Slaughtering Bear's allies.

Tsaba:

Team Hollywood:
snip

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20100329

Someone freaking called it.

IGN made an article a about a mouth after Assassins Creed 2 came out saying that American Revolution would make the most sense. It has been a pretty logical conclusion for a long time.

looks interesting, but would have also liked to see the Russian revolution era...

Any major European city in the industrial era could have made for a better plot than one set in the American revolution.
That one is too easy. There's a clear "good" and "evil". In the previous ones, you felt aligned to Assassins, and the Templars are the enemy. In this one, the British appear to be demonized. They are said to be keeping the American people as slaves for fuck's sake. You will likely feel more connected to Americans than the Assassin's.
I know that gaming is a business, but blowing off a good story in order to score patriot points and make bigger cash? Low blow Ubisoft.

hmm america 1777 with an assassin that kind of looks like he is native american... seems interesting enogh but will this be the last one? when do we get a game with desmond?

Urgh, and they stayed away from America as a central setting for so long. Just don't find this especially interesting. All the cool conflicts and possibilities, and its off to the war of independence.

Mixing the assassin outfit with some American identification (blue and white) with a seemingly Indian character, no no no no.

I was hoping Ubisoft would keep the game apolitical like they did with the others but sadly not by the looks of it. the blue coat under the white robes said it all. and the speech from the american commander didn't help. The american people kept as slaves? my arse!

I just hope Ubisoft have just made us look at this out of context and aren't making a game to make more sales over in the US whilst whitewashing over 4 games worth of back story.

I have a very bad feeling about this. Assasins Creed should be set in a city, not a forest.

DressedInRags:

kurupt87:

KLJT:

I'm with you two.

I remember doing one mission where I had to assassinate one guy who was standing in a corner beneath an archway-thing with two entrances, both of which had two guards each standing watch. With no way in, I drifted along amongst the crowds until I was close, then pointed the poison dart launcher at him, fired it as soon as the throng cleared for a moment, and the strode off amongst them while my target slowly went mad and the guards were completely bewildered.

uh, yeah. Back on-topic: I hope there's less of that bullshit in this upcoming installment of a series that used to be about stealth and infiltration.

Damn right! Ubisoft needs to stop trying to rake in the casual market and instead focus of the core stealth genre. It really breaks the immersion when I can run up to a group of guards, stab all of them and proceed to bomb a horde of civilians for no apparent reason.

Also, did anyone else notice that the American forces were wearing blue, while historically they didn't have uniforms until after they gained freedom from Britain. During the Revolutionary War, they simply wore whatever they could and used guerilla tactics, as opposed to Britain's line tactics. Interesting. Either the game actually ISN'T during the Revolutionary War, or Ubisoft just fucked history in the ass.

DressedInRags:

kurupt87:

KLJT:

I'm with you two.

Damn right! Ubisoft needs to stop trying to rake in the casual market and instead focus of the core stealth genre. It really breaks the immersion when I can run up to a group of guards, stab all of them and proceed to bomb a horde of civilians for no apparent reason.

Also, did anyone else notice that the American forces were wearing blue, while historically they didn't have uniforms until after they gained freedom from Britain. During the Revolutionary War, they simply wore whatever they could and used guerilla tactics, as opposed to Britain's line tactics. Interesting. Either the game actually ISN'T during the Revolutionary War, or Ubisoft just fucked history in the ass.

DressedInRags:

kurupt87:

KLJT:

I'm with you two.

I would have left out the "free men or slaves" bit. The massive amount of irony in that statement isn't even funny.

I Might borrow it from a friend. Aside from that this game is pretty much a pass from me.

Agreed snakeoilsage, and surely an offensive statement to say, Native/African Americans. Freedom for whitey in America, not freedom for everyone else.

I chuckled to read that moviebob was excited about it. Truly I am not surprised. It is very focused on getting the American audience. For us non-Americans, blergh.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here