Trailers: Halo 4 - Spring Showcase Trailer

Halo 4 - Spring Showcase Trailer

A fresh look at the Master Chief.

Watch Video

While I wish 343 luck, I'm going to be avoiding this like the plague. Not that I have anything against Halo, its just that I'm going to vote with my wallet to see the franchise not fall into sequalitice. If Halo 4 was doing something original, with new characters, I'd get it.

Not really sure what to think... Halo has a special place in my heart so I'm always going to lean in it's favor. 343 is putting themselves on the line here and I think they know that, the trailer isn't very specific, as you surely noticed, but that's fine, they're just afraid of messing little things up since they didn't create the franchise so any mistake will be blown way out of proportion. But I'll still buy it, because I have to, I just do.

Looks great and full of changes.

'Hey look guys look we can do Halo we know what Halo is this is Halo it's just like Halo with everything you love about Halo...
But wait guys look this is us doing it, this is our first time, we're going to do it right, it's going to be bigger than ever, everything is new and shiny and updated, and all our maps are new and totally not copied from the campaign like those other guys, and we've given a story to the multiplayer that you totally needed before...'

Feels a little desperate to show that it's pleasing everyone. Unconvinced.

While it does look interesting but how long was Master Chief was aslepp for?
While it must of been some time since they introduce the Spartan Mark 4 but they still using the same assult rifles (well change to the apperance) or did they just chill out during the peaceful time after Halo 3?

Well my only question is when are they ever going to release that song from the Reach ad.

Rainboq:
While I wish 343 luck, I'm going to be avoiding this like the plague. Not that I have anything against Halo, its just that I'm going to vote with my wallet to see the franchise not fall into sequalitice. If Halo 4 was doing something original, with new characters, I'd get it.

As far as I know, the only returning character is Master Chief. Halo 4 is supposed to be in an entirely new setting with new enemies and characters (although no doubt the Covenant will be back).

Why Spartan IVs? I get that most of the IIIs were killed early on, but that was the point, they were supposed to be expendable shock troops.

looks ambitious, at least in certain areas, and I also like the fact they want to give character to ol' chief and the world in general.

I'll probably not buy since I don't own a 360, but I certainly hope they treat this franchise with integrity and raise it above the bar the earlier installments had.

Soviet Heavy:
Why Spartan IVs? I get that most of the IIIs were killed early on, but that was the point, they were supposed to be expendable shock troops.

expendable, sure, but effective none the less, makes it worthwhile to brew up a new batch, no? :)

that warhouse mech looks like metal gear REX. and I'm curious about the spartan IVs.

The Plunk:

Rainboq:

As far as I know, the only returning character is Master Chief. Halo 4 is supposed to be in an entirely new setting with new enemies and characters (although no doubt the Covenant will be back).

See? This is what I mean. Why not set it earlier in the conflict, and have us play as a marine?

On a conscious level, that video did little to excite me about Halo 4...
...but on a subconscious level, I do still feel engagement with that universe.

(I just hope that it is a new game, not just a Modern Warfare style graphical update disguised as a new game.)

Rainboq:

The Plunk:

Rainboq:

See? This is what I mean. Why not set it earlier in the conflict, and have us play as a marine?

2 reasons from what I can figure:

1: This is 343 putting their mark on the Halo canon, they don't want to screw with what bungie already laid down storywise, so instead they are taking it after the human-covenant war so as not to stagnate that story (lets face it we have seen pretty much every concievabe angle throughout the different games, books and anime)

2: This is a main (numbered) Halo game, the Chief is at the centre of that particular universe, therefore replacing him with a new character, to whom we have no attachment would be kind of missing the point entirely, especially with the frankly brilliant way halo 3 left off

If you really want a Halo game that takes place earlier in the conflict that stars groups of Non Spartan II's as its main cast you could try any of the following: Halo 3 ODST, Halo Wars or Halo Reach, all of which are very cheap, have fantastic, insular stories that fit in to the main canon perfectly and each have unique gameplay mechanics that are very fun to learn and play.

Hope that helps!

Exploring Master Chief as a character...why? He's one of the most boring, bland and uninteresting main character in modern gaming. Also, a threat bigger than he's ever faced before? Bigger than an array of weapons that wipe put all sentient life in the universe? Okay...

Oh, and another thing, Red Spartans fight Blue Spartans because Red vs. Blue is canon, okay> That's why.

Yawn, that lady at the end sounded so bored.

I might buy considering I've bought and finished the others, but then again maybe not.

It would be great if it was 10000 years into the future and humans had died from infighting.

LGC Pominator:

Rainboq:

The Plunk:

2 reasons from what I can figure:

1: This is 343 putting their mark on the Halo canon, they don't want to screw with what bungie already laid down storywise, so instead they are taking it after the human-covenant war so as not to stagnate that story (lets face it we have seen pretty much every concievabe angle throughout the different games, books and anime)

2: This is a main (numbered) Halo game, the Chief is at the centre of that particular universe, therefore replacing him with a new character, to whom we have no attachment would be kind of missing the point entirely, especially with the frankly brilliant way halo 3 left off

If you really want a Halo game that takes place earlier in the conflict that stars groups of Non Spartan II's as its main cast you could try any of the following: Halo 3 ODST, Halo Wars or Halo Reach, all of which are very cheap, have fantastic, insular stories that fit in to the main canon perfectly and each have unique gameplay mechanics that are very fun to learn and play.

Hope that helps!

1. I suppose, but seriously, I doubt the MC is the reason people love Halo.

2. Played 'em, love Reach and ODST more than any of the other games.

well i just got a boner

but im also curious...spartan 4 huh?

Rainboq:
Why not set it earlier in the conflict, and have us play as a marine?

Because they tried that in OST and it sucked?

Really and honestly, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, but I'm really just waiting to see what they do with it. With MC being cryo, it could be any number of years (even centuries) after 3 that this is taking place. I kind of hope that's the case. MC, but in a new place, fighting new enemies. That would feel fresh.

If it's just the Covenant again, it's just going to be "another Halo."

Scarim Coral:
While it does look interesting but how long was Master Chief was aslepp for?
While it must of been some time since they introduce the Spartan Mark 4 but they still using the same assult rifles (well change to the apperance) or did they just chill out during the peaceful time after Halo 3?

Rainboq:

The Plunk:

Rainboq:

Soviet Heavy:

The way I understand it the Spartan IVs are going to be conventional Marines,or more specifically they will be chosen from them. The best of the best if you will. The tech has appently evolved to the point where they don't need to use childern anymore.

At least that was my understanding of it in Halo: Glasslands. The Admiral mentioned that they were back to useing consenting adults again like they did in Project: ORION. (The Spartan I program.)

This was also maybe like 6-12 months after the war "ended."

to what degree do we need to rework the great work that's already been done?

Erm, none? Halo's pretty decent at what it tries to do - be a good, fun, mildly-thoughtful-if-you're-wanting-to-think-about-it-explosions-if-you're-not, sci-fi First Person Shooter.

we've created a compelling reason red spartains can fight blue spartains

That's more compelling than "shoot stuff"? I mean, if you want to get all fancy you can call it weapons/combat training for the Spartains, but it doesn't need anything else.

I also noticed an odd amount of jumping going on in the background.

... Huh. Well that's all well and good, and I don't see anything that makes me think "This isn't Halo"...

But Master Chief's new helmet just... no. It doesn't look right. If anything, I keep thinking I'm seeing Tex from RvB, not Chief. (Although a video game playing as Tex? Count me in :) )

The music has also changed, but I can probably get used to that.

The_Darkness:
... Huh. Well that's all well and good, and I don't see anything that makes me think "This isn't Halo"...

But Master Chief's new helmet just... no. It doesn't look right. If anything, I keep thinking I'm seeing Tex from RvB, not Chief. (Although a video game playing as Tex? Count me in :) )

The music has also changed, but I can probably get used to that.

well they said nothing was final, and who knows, maby he gets new armor.

WAHOOOO! HALO 4 baby hell yeah! 343 looks like its ready to step up to Bungie's high quality mark.

I was almost worried, I was thinking this year but for some reason i thought it was like in may or something.

I'll be so glad when it comes out and completly blows away COD and Battelfield. XD

Well. That trailer alleviated some of my worries, but I really hope that the campaign lives up to me expectations.

Rainboq:

It does sound like it going to drag on forever (until it gets cancelled) like original Star Gate, in other words: oh they weren't so tough after all... here comes a new challanger.

I might buy it but I can already guess the sort of storyline they'll go with for multiplayer something along the lines of factions or evil spartan space nazis. And the baddies if they aren't the same on story mode will probably be something along the lines of god like creatures from another part of space or robots.

I'm partly joking with sci-fi cliches but I really do hope that this game isn't bad.
I'd rather it was better but that video is entirely PR so the only way we'll know if it's good or not is when we play it.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 58872)