Backchat: Fable Heroes and Halo 4

Fable Heroes and Halo 4

Aoife heads to Microsoft's Spring 2012 Showcase conference to get the latest on Halo 4 and Fable Heroes.

Watch Video

What to change about Halo? The community? I kid I kid!

I haven't played Halo since number 1 but I did do it on the hardest setting so I must have liked it.

I think if anything should be changed it should be the bug testing, I have seen lots of bugs (especially in rooster teeth's fails of the week) including all manner of vehicles launching off at light speed, people doing there best team rocket impression and blasting off again, grunts and brutes getting depressed and taking themselves and/or team mates out and nades doing all sorts of crazy shenanigans!

Wait did I hear that right.

Did she say "do you want it to stay simple and shitty"?

coblen:

Shooty.

Anyway, if I could change just one thing about the franchise, I would have let it die with Bungie. So seldom has a franchise improved after being picked-up by a different development team. In fact, off-hand, I can't think of a single case where a game was considered better after changing hands like that.

coblen:

lol that's what I heard as well... But that can't be right... right?

On Halo itself though, The only real thing I could think of is a wider array of deploy-ables.

Simple and shooty

OR

More cinematic

Umm, why must those two elements be mutually exclusive? Halo has always been cinematic in terms of the cutscenes and also how some levels play out, especially in Halo 3. But at a gameplay level the mechanics are simple and... well, shooty.

So I don't really understand what she was getting at. Then again, I doubt she really did either.

Anyway, I like the sound of what I'm hearing from 343, more character focus is just what I'm looking for, especially less stereotypes. I'm not sure how familiar faces can return but let's hope they lay off Sergeant Johnson.

Proverbial Jon:
Simple and shooty

OR

More cinematic

Umm, why must those two elements be mutually exclusive? Halo has always been cinematic in terms of the cutscenes and also how some levels play out, especially in Halo 3. But at a gameplay level the mechanics are simple and... well, shooty.

So I don't really understand what she was getting at. Then again, I doubt she really did either.

Anyway, I like the sound of what I'm hearing from 343, more character focus is just what I'm looking for, especially less stereotypes. I'm not sure how familiar faces can return but let's hope they lay off Sergeant Johnson.

I don't think the two do have to be mutually exclusive; I was just giving two examples of what could be focused upon by the new developers in an effort to start a discussion on the topic. Which I guess worked!

coblen:

SHOOTY! I knew my accent would get me in trouble one day.

Fable Heroes throws me through a loop. It looks like as far as gameplay, it's almost completely indistiguishable from Fable 1-3, aside from the forms of combat (magic, melee, guns). Is it only a Fable game in that they used Albion as a setting then? Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but it feels like they were just using the Fable title to get fans of the franchise to buy it. Or maybe borrowing the setting is enough and I'm just being foolish.

WhiteTigerShiro:

coblen:

Shooty.

Anyway, if I could change just one thing about the franchise, I would have let it die with Bungie. So seldom has a franchise improved after being picked-up by a different development team. In fact, off-hand, I can't think of a single case where a game was considered better after changing hands like that.

Dues Ex: Human Revolution was made by a new studio and it was heavily praised.

I wish they would follow up on what they said and make ONI, possibly one of my favourite games of all time.
Shame, well I'll bite HALO 4 if its on PC.

it looks like super mario bros Wii, so it looks good. However I have never been good at sidescrollers. As for Halo, I want it to stay simple because I feel if they go for cinematic then it will look like FF, I want Halo not FF.

nice freudian slip there Aoife

Evil Smurf:
it looks like super mario bros Wii, so it looks good. However I have never been good at sidescrollers.

You mean Fable Heroes? I don't think it's a sidescroller so-much as some parts are just really linear like that. And just to be clear, but "sidescroller" isn't a genre, it's simply a camera angle. I think you mean that you've "never been good at platformers", and Fable Heroes isn't going to be a platformer, closer to a beat-'em-up.

nice freudian slip there Aoife

Accent. She very clearly said "shooty". At least, I very clearly heard it as shooty. So it was less a Freudian slip on her part, and more a Freudian slip on your ear's part. ;)

AoifeGinx:

coblen:

Nah nah, it isn't your accent, just people hearing what they want to hear. ;)

coblen:

lol That's what I heard to!

I heard the blondie say "simple and shitty", and that made me angry. Also, Halo is nothing near simple. If anything, the universe got so intricate that made it hard to keep up.

WhiteTigerShiro:

AoifeGinx:

coblen:

Haha, a lot of people are hearing it that way though, not myself but maybe stay away from words that sound like bad words since apparently no one on the escapist can understand accents.

I would like to see Halo 4 change up the formula a bit, the games are starting to stagnate in my opinion, I don't want Halo 4 to be...well, shitty.

WhiteTigerShiro:

I listened to that phrase several times just to make sure I heard right. It does not sound like anything, but "simple and shitty". I rather like Halo, but have no strong feelings towards it.

Proverbial Jon:
Simple and shooty

OR

More cinematic

If they find an excuse to have David Scully doing that magnificent voice again part of me will cry (DAMN YOU 343 FOR RUINING CANON!!) but then the rest of me will be like OMG ITS THAT VOICE!

I doubt that Johnson can really make a return except for flashbacks, I mean he was pretty damned dead at the end of 3 and unless the writers pull some MAJOR deus ex machina out with something to do with the forerunner structure saving his personality or something I highly doubt it is going to go anywhere

Korten12:
Dues Ex: Human Revolution was made by a new studio and it was heavily praised.

Ah-ha! Touche! However, are there many other examples, or is Human Revolution the exception that proves the rule? I guess the Tomb Raider games haven't been terrible? Though at the same time they've kinda faded into obscurity. It's like, one minute I'm hearing about Crystal D taking the series over, then I hear nothing until this isometric view game, and apparently there were two other games done the normal way in between there. I suppose there's the Prime series, though. So two examples, that's still exception territory though, IMO. Especially since Prime's success could be countered by mentioning Other M. In any case, I guess that Prime and Deus Ex at least give Halo 4 hope, but I'm still going to be skeptical of it. After-all, keeping a franchise alive purely for profitability is probably the biggest killer of quality around.

Edit: OH! And while Deus Ex might have been a different team, it's development was headed by the same guy who did the original. Since he was calling all the shots, he makes DXHR even more exception territory. And Miyamoto also did a lot of working with Retro while they made Prime (at least the first one). So unless someone from Bungie is staying with the Halo 4 team to help out... yeah... skeptical.

Shotgun Guy:
Haha, a lot of people are hearing it that way though, not myself but maybe stay away from words that sound like bad words since apparently no one on the escapist can understand accents.

Yeah, I'm still inclined to say that it's what people are wanting to hear, if not because of Freudian hearing, then because they're immature teenagers who just like profane language. Possibly a mix of the two in some cases. ;)

In any case, I guess on re-watching it, I can kinda see where people are getting it, I guess I just assumed "shooty" because this isn't a show based around slamming on games. Now, if it was Yahtzee (for example) saying the same phrase, then yeah... I might have heard "shitty" like everyone else. ;P

I want a Halo game more like ODST again. I like the differences. It just wasn't different enough or long enough.
I was hoping for a more open game. The fact that you can select the levels after you've played them and there's only about 7 of them shows how little it is. Most of the game was just one mostly empty level.
I hope Halo 4 does characterisation well, because compared to ODST, the Reach characters were boring, and I only started liking Noble Team after half of them were dead.

Edit: Also the ODST SMG was useless.

LGC Pominator:
If they find an excuse to have David Scully doing that magnificent voice again part of me will cry (DAMN YOU 343 FOR RUINING CANON!!) but then the rest of me will be like OMG ITS THAT VOICE!

I doubt that Johnson can really make a return except for flashbacks, I mean he was pretty damned dead at the end of 3 and unless the writers pull some MAJOR deus ex machina out with something to do with the forerunner structure saving his personality or something I highly doubt it is going to go anywhere

The voice is heavenly, I'll give you that. I know David Scully voiced some of the Elites in past Halo games as well as Johnson so maybe his voice will make a return in some form.

However I'm not sure what "familiar faces" could return.

Palademon:
Edit: Also the ODST SMG was useless.

TAKE THAT BACK!

It was still seriously more use than the Halo 2 and 3 SMGs.

However, I second your original post. ODST is one of my all time favourite Halo games, far better than Reach in terms of characterisation, like you said. Although I doubt we'll see another Halo game quite like it any time soon, it's certainly worth drawing inspiration from.

I seriously hope that we see the arbiter again though, mainly cos Kieth David, but also because he is a really interesting character, and with the covenant on our side instead of trying to murderize us it should be quite awesome, especially considering how the forerunners are kinda the covenants gods.

flaviok79:
I heard the blondie say "simple and shitty", and that made me angry. Also, Halo is nothing near simple. If anything, the universe got so intricate that made it hard to keep up.

Shooty, not shitty. Her accent, is all. :)

Halo's gameplay has always been simple, though - in an effective way. Making it more complex would ruin it, what's good about it is how it uses that simple core gameplay to create such a great shooter experience. But yeah, the lore is very complex (which is how I like it in mah sci-fi space operas).

Please come back to us Backchat; since Bob decided to summarily place his head up his ass we desperately need other good videos to start coming back.

Hmm... Why oh why do all the shows I like disappear with no warning?

Mouse_Crouse:
Hmm... Why oh why do all the shows I like disappear with no warning?

Possibly, because they are hosted by girls, and girls are fickle. :)

Don Reba:
Possibly because they are hosted by girls, and girls are fickle. :)

Touchè. Unfair, but clever.

Back to this show. What's the deal? they weren't always on a set schedule, but they seem to have disappeared. Do they still run the other Ginx shows?

Mouse_Crouse:
Back to this show. What's the deal? they weren't always on a set schedule, but they seem to have disappeared. Do they still run the other Ginx shows?

They still update their YouTube channel, if you are interested in the other shows.

Hey guys, just thought I'd check in and let you know what's going on. Unfortunately, we've had to cancel Backchat for the Escapist, due to time constraints on our production schedule. We make a 24/7 TV channel and online content was just eating up too much of our time. Which sucks, as we really enjoyed making it and loved having a spot on the mighty Escapist. But you never know, maybe it could make a return someday.
Thanks so much for your support though, means a lot. And, as Don Reba pointed out, we still upload plenty of content to our Youtube channel.

And oi, girls are not fickle. Or are we? Maybe we are.

AoifeGinx:
Hey guys, just thought I'd check in and let you know what's going on. Unfortunately, we've had to cancel Backchat for the Escapist, due to time constraints on our production schedule. We make a 24/7 TV channel and online content was just eating up too much of our time. Which sucks, as we really enjoyed making it and loved having a spot on the mighty Escapist. But you never know, maybe it could make a return someday.
Thanks so much for your support though, means a lot. And, as Don Reba pointed out, we still upload plenty of content to our Youtube channel.

Thanks for the update. Good luck with your more important work and know that you are welcome back here any time.

AoifeGinx:
And oi, girls are not fickle. Or are we? Maybe we are.

:)

Why is it we always have to hear about these things from the people that make it, WEEKS after they just disappear? Why can the escapist never just tell us. Top 5, PGG, Extra Creditz, Backchat... the list goes on.

Why not just a note on the front page? "We unfortunately have had to suspend Backchat for the time being because of Reasons red, blue, and green."

But we have to wonder for 2+ months and get told by the creators, with a post, buried on the last episode. I understand that things take time to get decided, but why can't we just be told. This isn't a dig on you guys just frustration that NO ONE tells us.

AoifeGinx:
Unfortunately, we've had to cancel Backchat for the Escapist, due to time constraints on our production schedule.

So is this the same for ALL Ginx content on the Escapist? Or simply Backchat?

Mouse_Crouse:

AoifeGinx:
Unfortunately, we've had to cancel Backchat for the Escapist, due to time constraints on our production schedule.

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's just Backchat, as the rest of our content here gets created for our other outputs too, whereas Backchat was created exclusively for this site.
And I am sorry it took us so long to tell you guys; believe me when I say I really didn't want to stop making it!

AoifeGinx:
Sorry, I should have clarified. It's just Backchat, as the rest of our content here gets created for our other outputs too, whereas Backchat was created exclusively for this site.
And I am sorry it took us so long to tell you guys; believe me when I say I really didn't want to stop making it!

Oh it wasn't really a complaint at you guys. The Escapist has had several shows disappear with no word from the Escapist at all.

AoifeGinx:

Mouse_Crouse:

AoifeGinx:

Awww...
tbh, Backchat was the only Ginx show I watched. It was kind of a laid back show and I enjoyed that. Plus I just like hearing Aoife talk.

Damn, I miss that voice. Does she do anything else for GINX?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here