Escape to the Movies: John Carter

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

John Carter

Finally the man that influenced modern fantasy gets his own movie.

Watch Video

Would you say the plot is in retrograde from the original story Bob?

Never read the books myself so I can't go on a "Not True to Original" like yourself but it still looks interesting.

Also, yes, AS3 looks great.

You know Bob, I kinda see where you're coming from some of the time, but the whole "shouldn't be afraid to be true to the original" critizism you slap on every single movie that is an adaptation of something you love is getting rather repetative and uninteresting, especially since someone like you should be able to see how being too true to something obscure that most people don't have a connection with would only serve to alienate audiences that the producers can't afford to alienate. You might have a good point about it in this movie (I can't judge because I have neither seen it nor am familiar with the books) but seriously, there is a reason Hawkeye won't be wearing a ridiculous purple mask in the Avengers movie.

I doubt this film would get done if everyone on Mars was meant to be naked. Then again, I wouldn't be complaining. >.>

Looks like a decent film to watch. Though if the main character is anything like "Superman" then I might not like him so much.

So basically you won't have any problems with it unless you're a mega nerd? Got it.

Also the Disney Princess part made me lol.

Well, I guess it makes sense that the princess is the most interesting character, given that she's the title character of the book.

I bought the book yesterday out of curiosity. I think I'll read it before I go to see the movie.

I put down a pre-order for Assassins Creed III cause EB Games aka Gamestop gave my a steel case with that awesome cover for doing so... Also, because AC is finally getting back on track from that really long Ezio storyline.

Also, does anyone else find it interesting that this main character gets critizised for being nothing more then a generic "good guy", but Captain America got praised for basically the same thing?

Friendstastegood:
Also, does anyone else find it interesting that this main character gets critizised for being nothing more then a generic "good guy", but Captain America got praised for basically the same thing?

Well Movie Bob would have been okay with that because Captain America was supposed to be the generic good guy.

DVS BSTrD:

Friendstastegood:

Well Movie Bob would have been okay with that because Captain America was supposed to be the generic good guy.

So was John Carter, at least that's what he says in the video.

I'll probably go see this one anyway. Is the book series its based on any good? I've been needing something other than my Discworld collection to read.

Bob, I don't think I can really agree here with the idea that random teleporting and dreaming yourself to another planet would be a good idea. To me it does remain a bit too pointlessly silly. I know the books weren't meant to be taken seriously in that regard, but really, it just doesn't sit well with me. I would have been fine with super awesome boy scout guy, but being able to randomly teleport to mars probably wouldn't have sat well with me.

On a side note...

Friendstastegood:

No, he seemed to be fine with the idea of him being a fairly generic good guy, just not with him being Han Solo.

Sounds like Hollywood still too afraid of its own shadow and getting in its own way.

238U

Friendstastegood:

DVS BSTrD:

Friendstastegood:

So was John Carter, at least that's what he says in the video.

Yes but they also gave him all those "modern" twists that weren't in the original story and really do fuck all to improve the character.

I actually expected this movie to be so bad, it would be unwatchble, so the fact you think it's okay surprised me.

Since my opinion and MovieBob's opinion usually are the same, I will check it out.

Also, I am not hyped for AC3, sorry, it's an excellent series but after playing Brotherhood and Revelations on the same year I think I am already saturated with assassins.
But I will probably buy and play on launch day anyway to avoid spoilers, damn.

I don't like the, it's not exactly like the original therefore it's not as good complaint, the changes could be for the worse but that shouldn't be a complaint in and of it's self.

lord.jeff:
I don't like the, it's not exactly like the original therefore it's not as good complaint, the changes could be for the worse but that shouldn't be a complaint in and of it's self.

Precisely. Some of the best movies are vastly different from their source material. I believe that as an adaptation, you need to keep the essence of what made the story popular but be given the liberty to make changes as you see fit. If you don't feel the liberty of making changes to the source material, than you are just a lazy story teller. It did wonders for Lord of the Rings and Christopher Nolan's Batman and other sci-fi/fantasy/comic book movies and it could do wonders for John Carter as well.

So the source material is a century old, and EVERYTHING in modern fantasy and science fiction owes something to this story, Superman and Star Wars included. Awesome!

So, it's like the new Star Trek movie. Not bad, but not great. I can deal with that. I'm seeing this with my dad tonight. I'll probably look up the book later on, just to brush up on what this movie is supposed to be based on.

What's that movie(?) that Bob is way more excited than he thought he would be at the end?

Keep wishing for Hollywood to stop "Playing It Safe" Bob. I'm right there with you, and it'll be fun waiting for Hell to freeze over.
It's funny to me that everyone gets treated like a soft-headed child because movie producers are afraid of confusing or upsetting someone who's IQ is smaller than their belt size. Pandering to the most worthless demographic of the population, and we all (most of us anyway) just eat it up with a big smile.

Somehow I wished it was John Carter from E.R. that got sent to Mars

Hmm, I know his review wasn't all that positive, but I still kind of want to watch it now.

Well, I'd have to say that okay is better than most of the crap that gets into theaters, so that's definitely a plus...

It sounds like its more the fault of internet nerds and film critics then general audiences that helped mess up the story. Both of the former groups seem to want everything to have a reason and are unhappy with the general "It just happens, live it it" excuse where as general audiences don't care.

Funny, Yahtze just did a column about adaptations. Worth reading.

He finds a movie adaptation works best when it is about a shorter idea that the movie can expand. Difficult, not impossible, to make a good movie out of a longer work, but you have to leave things out.

I read the G-dfather: 1/2 of it was about that guy that was like Frank Sinatra, who has like 2 min. on film.

MovieBob:
John Carter

Finally the man that influenced modern fantasy gets his own movie.

Watch Video

You're using the smiley faces a lot more these days. Which is fine of course, but they lack the distinction of your Big Picture cutouts.

Why don't you let me draw you some faces you can use in ETTM? They can be caricatures of you or something more zany if you prefer. MovieBobDog maybe? Think about it. :)

Oh, John Carter, the guy who says "Good God, I'm on Mars," in that trailer that played in half of all Youtube partners' videos played.
I really hate autoplaying advertisements on the web, so I therefore loathe this movie's existence.

Yep I agree thank god for Jasmine's wardrode.

Sadly being a Disney flick, they wouldn't go for the metal pasties seen in comic adaptations.

moviedork:

lord.jeff:

Precisely. Some of the best movies are vastly different from their source material. I believe that as an adaptation, you need to keep the essence of what made the story popular but be given the liberty to make changes as you see fit. If you don't feel the liberty of making changes to the source material, than you are just a lazy story teller. It did wonders for Lord of the Rings and Christopher Nolan's Batman and other sci-fi/fantasy/comic book movies and it could do wonders for John Carter as well.

Yes, but an adaptation should either still embrace the core theme/idea/tone of the film, or subvert/deconstruct it in a creative way. But taking an established classic and forcing it into the mould of generic, paint-by-numbers 21st century action movie that will be forgotten in a few months--how is that form of adaptation any less lazy than making no changes at all?

I for one am sick of the self-loathing, self-interested hero with a tragic past who Refuses the Call until he doesn't. Why can't we have a few guys who fight evil because it's the right thing to do, or because it's actually fun, or even because it's their job?

Even before I watched your review Bob, I wasn't going to see this movie. It looks boring, and not promising in the least. Because I already have these vibes on the main character being boring and already figured that he would resist caring until a certain point. What makes a character stand out is when you have no insight on how they'll be or if they have a unique personality that draws you to like them.

Here's a tip to Hollywood: You can make a guy really cool and fight well enough for us to be entertained during the action scenes.. but that's all the guy is good for. Apart from those scenes, he's like the most cliche' type of characters you know how he'll be or how he'll turn out in conversations or least outside of combat. Not to mention the movie's plot and where it's based on reminds me a lot of Planet Hulk, the movie where Hulk is sent to mars thus he helps try to free the people from.. the higher up bad guys, like this movie. Might as well watch that instead.

I feel john carter being made now, in this kind of hollywood, isn't the best idea. But i will give it this, not being bad might be good enough. This is a movie that has been wanted since the invention of feature length movies and most stuff like that gets bought by a studio and turned into something horrible. That this one isn't something totally offensive and that it's getting a major theatre release is a positive.

This is something that the great filmmakers of the future will look back on and want to remake correctly. and hopefully the Hollywood bias against superhero sci-fi will have passed by then.

Can't say the AC3 image really appealed to me.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that it's taking place during the American Revolution which has rarely been given light in a non-strategy game mechanic and I have no issue with that.

No, my issue is with the character design. The artwork could have easily been "Create a colonial era assassin" and instead they went with "take the same damn character as before but slap on some colonial era trinkets for show".

I mean really, look at him. Do you think that the button breast on his coat and blue cloth pinned on the coat tails is going to disguise him?

The REAL problem here is that no matter what movie it is; If it's based off of another property (books, games, comics, cartoons, etc) there will ALWAYS be someone who will say that "it could have been better".

Another problem is... No matter how many times you re-do it, it will NEVER do the original source material justice.
Especially when the original source is FU*K'N WIERD!!!

My recommendation is... Let the movie stand on it's own.

The Guardian's critic gave it 1 star. So Bob has been quite generous.
Although The Guardian's critic also gave The Artist a very good score, so what does he know?

I find Bob to be hit and miss with regards to my own personal taste. Some films he rates highly I find to be utter trash and others I find to be spot on.
But then, how dull would life be if we all had the same taste and opinions?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here