Escape to the Movies: John Carter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

"And Jasmine's wardrobe." LOL!

Anyway, I think I'll just check out the original novels. Honestly, I'd never heard of them.

I just noticed there was a straight to video production of this in 2009 as well. Princess of Mars.

Wonder if that cheaper B prod movie is more true to books, but from the iMDB description it seems even more messed up.

strange... i hated the princess in this movie and much prefered the green thark women, although she did always get the bad end of the stick (tortued once and captured once for what the two main people did)

The flash gordon approach would have still been a failure. This movie never stood a chance it's just too evident of it's timeline. It would be like modernizing double indemnity. Its better just to make something new in spirit rather than revive something technically obscure.

MonkeyPunch:
What's that movie(?) that Bob is way more excited than he thought he would be at the end?

Assassin's Creed 3.

Caramel Frappe:
Not to mention the movie's plot and where it's based on reminds me a lot of Planet Hulk, the movie where Hulk is sent to mars thus he helps try to free the people from.. the higher up bad guys, like this movie. Might as well watch that instead.

Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking whilst watching planet Hulk... except the other way around.

That is basically the Marvel verison of the John Carter books.

OT: Damn, I hoped it'd stay closer to the downright madness of the books. :(

Friendstastegood:
Also, does anyone else find it interesting that this main character gets critizised for being nothing more then a generic "good guy", but Captain America got praised for basically the same thing?

According to Bob, the CA movie wasn't as afraid of its source material as the JC flick was.

JC wasn't as much of a generic "good guy" character in the movie as in the books. Judging from Bob's review, as I haven't seen the movie itself, Carter ironically got blander because of this.

That's at least how interpret it. After all, this is is coming from a critic who hasn't explained exactly how and why The Artist is more gimmicky than Sucker Punch.

Man I get don't care about all those criticisms, it looks decent enough, and since I didn't read the books, all of Bob's praise in the beginning of the video is what I really paid attention too. I'm just glad that it didn't completely suck.

Friendstastegood:
You know Bob, I kinda see where you're coming from some of the time, but the whole "shouldn't be afraid to be true to the original" critizism you slap on every single movie that is an adaptation of something you love is getting rather repetative and uninteresting, especially since someone like you should be able to see how being too true to something obscure that most people don't have a connection with would only serve to alienate audiences that the producers can't afford to alienate. You might have a good point about it in this movie (I can't judge because I have neither seen it nor am familiar with the books) but seriously, there is a reason Hawkeye won't be wearing a ridiculous purple mask in the Avengers movie.

But I think he makes the point quite well that certain things that the source material says "just go with it", movie writers feel the need to expand and explain. Sometimes this is necessary, but sometimes that and the convoluted ideas the movie writers come up with just brings down the whole movie. Its not so much about being true to the original, but there is a reason the original did things the way it did, and sometimes its more translatable to the big screen if you just kept them the less "mainstream" elements.
On the other hand, I understand why they didn't keep the giant plant mutant alien thing in Watchmen, though it upset me nontheless, and Bob agrees as well as can be seen in his Big Picture episode on it

DVS BSTrD:
Would you say the plot is in retrograde from the original story Bob?

Good try, but Venus is retrograde, not Mars.

i thought it would be watered down for the mainstream from the trailer, kinda lousey like the POP:SOT movie.

also AC3 is soo unoriginal, how can you be impressed by it? the new engine needs to up the game a lot if its gonna grab me, and give me a chalenge with more stealth and take away all those pointless tack ons like bombs, ect.

theSteamSupported:
That's at least how interpret it. After all, this is is coming from a critic who hasn't explained exactly how and why The Artist is more gimmicky than Sucker Punch.

"The Artist" is more/worse in terms of gimmickry because it's a gimmick without a point - there's NOTHING going on or being "said" by the gimmick of shooting it as a silent movie other than "Hey look, We made a silent movie ABOUT the end of silent movies! Aren't we clever?"

"Sucker Punch," while it definitely bites off more than it can chew in terms of complexity, aims to use it's various visual/structural gimmicks to MEAN something and to SAY something. In lieu of re-hashing just what those "somethings" seem to be, I'll just link to this: http://www.lunalindsey.com/2011/03/analysis-of-sucker-punch-feminist.html

misterprickly:
The REAL problem here is that no matter what movie it is; If it's based off of another property (books, games, comics, cartoons, etc) there will ALWAYS be someone who will say that "it could have been better".

Another problem is... No matter how many times you re-do it, it will NEVER do the original source material justice.
Especially when the original source is FU*K'N WIERD!!!

My recommendation is... Let the movie stand on it's own.

I second that. When a property is adapted to film from another medium there is ALWAYS going to be something lost in the translation. So knowing that you have two choices: A) you can either wallow in hatred and nitpick the living fuck out of it which only serves to make you miserable or B) you can instead judge the thing on it's own merits and maybe acknowledge the parts of the source material they got right.

Nice review, I can tell expectations were pretty high for this one! I have a feeling the inevitable rubbishness of The Avengers is gonna hit Bob pretty hard.

DVS BSTrD:
Would you say the plot is in retrograde from the original story Bob?

Good try, but Venus is retrograde, not Mars.

I beg to differ.
If you hadn't so focused on Sozin's comet you'd have noticed that.
BTW: In what re-incarnation would ANYONE think that Republic City was a good name?
Surely Roku City or even Angtropolis were pitched before the groundbreaking bending ceremony?

I wish hollywood took more chances more often, every other movie is starting to look generic to me, holloywood is makeing me jaded. Oh and Bob I still like the artist but I do agree that it was a silent film just because it can be, and of course oscar bait. Although there were some clever scenes in that movie. I still don't get suckerpunch it was just an ok movie to me.

Kumagawa Misogi:
Yep I agree thank god for Jasmine's wardrode.

Wouldn't that be "Thank Allah" in that case? The sultan says "Praise Allah" at least 4 times in the first movie.

Ah... Aladdin... not appropriate in a post 9/11 world.

/sarcasm

OT: Movie never looked appealing to me.

Hmm so the movie is just common day fodder despite is being a good contender for being a semi-literal Elder Scroll of Sci-fi? If Hollywood haven't made so many cruddy movies the last decade, I would call Bob a nut. Now, well I am no longer shock, they are making Candy Land into a movie, and I fear for humanity over that.

100 years old huh, thats pretty awesome.

I saw it last night. I thought it was incredibly entertaining, if a little formulaic. Twelve-year-old me would have loved this movie, and 18-year-old me thought it was definitely worth the watch

Hmm, I think Bob's actually being fairly harsh on the movie. I've not read the originals but I've seen plenty of stuff like DC's Adam Strange that is very much the same story from what I understand, and I really enjoyed the movie. I guess I'd say Bob's review sounded like a 4 or 5 out of 10 and I'd rate it more like a 6.5 or 7. The films not without it's flaws, but both me and my fiance were really swept up in the mythology and felt the world it created was a really neat place. I really enjoyed how the Therns gave the story a much greater sense of scale than I expected, and especially thought the story trick at the end with the framing narrative was pretty clever. I've read a lot of reviews comparing it to Avatar, but felt John Carter was way more enjoyable than Avatar was. I felt the difference was mainly in that while Avatar's world felt like it was entirely built around conveying it's fairly basic themes, John Carter's world feels more like a believable place with the story arising as a logical consequence of the mythology, and I felt like that made it a much more enjoyable film. On the downside, I did feel like Carter himself didn't get to do a lot of character building, and I think it's weird that Bob called out Dejah as a great character since I felt she was a little flat too, but I was mostly willing to forgive that considering she seems remarkably progressive for a female character from a hundred years ago. But, yeah, other than feeling the two leads were a little weak, I'm kind of confused about all the problems most reviews have said they had with it.

I'm fine with "okay".
I'll probably go see this next week.

I need something better, since Safe House was such a disappointment.

I was so uninspired by this. I think I'm put off by the whole muscly man in ridiculous gear thing. I've never got Conan either. And then when you take some nice sci-fi and turn it back into that?

This could even be a good film, it's just the images never make me want to see it. Whereas you can take Mass Effect (which I don't like :D) and one picture of Omega, or a flash of the opening intro of ME2 makes me want to see more

So... question for Bob...

"so... embracing the original materiel/feeling/culture is good... only ONE movie I see so far does just, that is Watchmen... to you, Watchmen is perfect, no? and why?"

Because I love that film to the death, everything is MATCH OBJ by OBJ! music, action, characters, and the only 2 things they toss away are (to me) HIGHLY forgivable, Personally I think it's best film EVER! (until I see wrath of titans)...

I completly agree with you, Bob, on ACIII. i know it seems ignorent to be more excited cause it is set in your homeland, but i'm excited to be able to see places i see often 300 years beforehand. i think that, after i play the game, ill probly take a trip around town.

Friendstastegood:
Also, does anyone else find it interesting that this main character gets critizised for being nothing more then a generic "good guy", but Captain America got praised for basically the same thing?

But he's not criticized for being a generic "good guy." He's being criticized (by Bob at least) for being a generic action hero. John Carter is an outright good guy; the movie makes him a guy who has to be convinced to do the right thing. A "good guy" wouldn't need convincing.

Sucker Punch is better than

MovieBob:

theSteamSupported:

"The Artist" is more/worse in terms of gimmickry because it's a gimmick without a point - there's NOTHING going on or being "said" by the gimmick of shooting it as a silent movie other than "Hey look, We made a silent movie ABOUT the end of silent movies! Aren't we clever?"

"Sucker Punch," while it definitely bites off more than it can chew in terms of complexity, aims to use it's various visual/structural gimmicks to MEAN something and to SAY something. In lieu of re-hashing just what those "somethings" seem to be, I'll just link to this: http://www.lunalindsey.com/2011/03/analysis-of-sucker-punch-feminist.html

My empty, pandering genre-worship is superior to your empty, pandering genre-worship! It had, like, a mech, and stuff!

Voltano:
I doubt this film would get done if everyone on Mars was meant to be naked. Then again, I wouldn't be complaining. >.>

wait wait ... does the guy in that book fight a giant alien using a one handed sword wins and takes the giants sword a two handed sword cause its so big? then spares the alien which becomes an ally?.

if so I think Ive read that book although I dont remember the title (a long time ago could be john carter of mars for all I know)

elitestranger1:
i thought it would be watered down for the mainstream from the trailer, kinda lousey like the POP:SOT movie.

also AC3 is soo unoriginal, how can you be impressed by it? the new engine needs to up the game a lot if its gonna grab me, and give me a chalenge with more stealth and take away all those pointless tack ons like bombs, ect.

Uuuuuuh, what?

Did you just review the game before the ACTUAL trailer (and not the teaser) is out?

Tell me more about how unoriginal it is, and how many other games feature an Assassin in 18th / 19th century America...

Only wearing jewellery would make sense as it would act as a heatsink :D

this is the problem with modern movies (at least mainstream modern movies from Hollywood/Disney), they are all way to safe and each one of them is practically a palette swap of 2 or 3 that get repeated constantly but for some reason unknown to me all make huge amounts of money (kind of like Nintendo)

But Bob what I want to know is: Does Dafoe's Tars Tarka work?

Oh well, maybe one day we will get good films made of Heinlein's Number of the Beast or Glory Road, which borrow heavily from the Barsoom novels.

EDIT: Of course we won't because they are ridiculous stories that are ill suited for filmic adaptation. I just realised people may have taken me seriously. Heaven forfend!

I haven't read them in decades, but I loved those books when I was a kid. I was desperately hoping this wouldn't, you know, suck, and it sounds like that wish at least was fulfilled. I'm hoping the back story can be ignored. We'll see.

I think I'll stick with the books. That just means that I will have to take a trip to my local library soon. (And for the cost of a movie I can get my library card for an entire year.)

@octofish - I agree partly - Number of the Beast... would make a terrible movie. Like most of Heinlein's later books, it's WAY too talky. I enjoy that in a book sometimes, but for a movie - no way.

I think Glory Road could be well done, though. Yeah, a lot of talking again, but most of it isn't integral to the plot, and the Quest for the Egg could be a lot of fun. The Igli sequence by itself could be worth the price of admission.

Of course, this leaves me wondering if removing all of the discussion from the books is why none of the movies made from Heinlein's work have been any good - and yes, I'm specifically thinking of Starship Troopers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here