GDC 2012: MechWarrior Online

After a ten year wait, we finally get our next real mech game.

Read Full Article

So it plays like the worst game in the series and it looks like a visually unimpressive game!? And its basically an MMO with no singleplayer component? Wow, I sure can't wait now.

It looks as though it plays like Mechwarrior 3, rather than 4. MW3 being undoubtedly the best MW game in the series (read: least arcade, most simulator). This is a good thing- no, a great thing.

I'm also glad that there's no single player campaign. They're going to add a running narrative informed by the outcomes of the competitive action? Sounds perfect to me. Can't wait.

Clive Howlitzer:
So it plays like the worst game in the series and it looks like a visually unimpressive game!? And its basically an MMO with no singleplayer component? Wow, I sure can't wait now.

I have always understood that Crysis 2 was in fact a very beautiful game. What makes you say it's visually unappealing?

I do agree with the MMO comment, though. I would love to sink hours into this game, but I would prefer at least some single-player. Sigh, maybe there will be DLC that offers a few missions.

Hey Steve Butts, you missed this:

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Mechwarrior Living Legends has been out for years, built on Cryengine 2. It's a mod for Crysis Warhead. Similar ti MWO in that it has no singleplayer mode or persistence and only supports battles on maps with limited players (24?). However it plays well and has regularly added content I urge all Mechwarrior fans to check it out.

gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGnH3sgHL8

fellow mech fans: http://nogutsnogalaxy.net/

I have no shame in saying, I need new pants after reading this article.

It looks like pure awesome and win.

pickles2012:
Hey Steve Butts, you missed this:

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Mechwarrior Living Legends has been out for years, built on Cryengine 2. It's a mod for Crysis Warhead. Similar ti MWO in that it has no singleplayer mode or persistence and only supports battles on maps with limited players (24?). However it plays well and has regularly added content I urge all Mechwarrior fans to check it out.

gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGnH3sgHL8

fellow mech fans: http://nogutsnogalaxy.net/

MW:LL is indeed made of win, but I am looking forward to this more, as MW:LL doesn't have a persistent world. Sort of reminds me of the old Star League/ Cobra League days

So let me make sure I've got this right. It's kinda an MMO in the way that TF2 is an mmo? Where its just arena based PVP with items?

I was kinda hoping for open world PVP like on a WoW PVP server. Back in the day before battle grounds, when everyone was leveling up for the first time. Having to watch your back from similar leveled horde and dueling it out in epic escalating ganks and battles. THAT is the kind of PVP I long for. Arena based stuff bores me.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Clive Howlitzer:

I have always understood that Crysis 2 was in fact a very beautiful game. What makes you say it's visually unappealing?

I do agree with the MMO comment, though. I would love to sink hours into this game, but I would prefer at least some single-player. Sigh, maybe there will be DLC that offers a few missions.

Some people are just not satisfied with anything.
Remember when people used to say "WOW" at new graphics? I remember when I first saw Doom 3's characters and Half Life 2's water effects. I thought they were amazing.

Now we get games like Crysis 2 and Skyrim and people are immediately saying "THE GRAFFIX LOOK SHIT! TOTALLY OUT OF DATE" but are strangely unable to give you any examples of other games with better visuals.

Basically, we live in a gaming world full of people who will never be satisfied with anything and get a small buzz out of complaining on message boards. Oh well.

I for one am interested in this, despite having no prior Mechwarrior experience.

not totally in love w the whole mmo only thing, but it deff has potential & really like the concept of shoulder mounted weapons firing on a mech over cover while rest of mech is hidden ULTIMATE SNIPER TAG!

Ok, I remember Mechwarrior from when I was 8-12 years old...I think I was that old, and I wouldn't mind getting back inside a Timberwolf and going all 2nd Admendment on the other mechs but what I don't have now is a powerful enough computer. At least I don't think it's powerful enough, it can run Starcraft 2 pretty well...oh wait, it uses the cryengine, yeah it's not powerful enough. Is this game a PC only game or will they put it on consoles too?

Sandytimeman:
So let me make sure I've got this right. It's kinda an MMO in the way that TF2 is an mmo? Where its just arena based PVP with items?

I was kinda hoping for open world PVP like on a WoW PVP server. Back in the day before battle grounds, when everyone was leveling up for the first time. Having to watch your back from similar leveled horde and dueling it out in epic escalating ganks and battles. THAT is the kind of PVP I long for. Arena based stuff bores me.

While on some level that sounds really cool, it would so quickly devolve into each side spamming LRMs and Gauss Rifles as each other. It's exactly what would happen in Planetside, with each side simply facing off at distances for hours at a time with nothing actually happening.

The old Tarren Mill world PVP only had interesting eb and flow because eventually one side needed to commit to sending in the melee.

This I want so bad, and it sounds like it's being balanced well so could be great fun to play.

Any return to the Mechwarrior universe is welcome in my book.

I've been keeping up with it on their site. It seems to be very simulator-like, with first-person only views, throttles, etc.

I want.

Slycne:

While on some level that sounds really cool, it would so quickly devolve into each side spamming LRMs and Gauss Rifles as each other. It's exactly what would happen in Planetside, with each side simply facing off at distances for hours at a time with nothing actually happening.

The old Tarren Mill world PVP only had interesting eb and flow because eventually one side needed to commit to sending in the melee.

Very good point. I wonder how they will combat this.

I encourage you blokes to actually head over to the mechwarrior online site and read over the FAQ and the Dev Blog Section of the forums.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/forum/24-developers-blog/

It's pretty much a good idea of what they are planning/how things will play out.

I would think of this as more a qusi EVE ish persistent world then a tf2 or wow. Considering a mech is worth quite more then the pilots themselves you are not going to be seeing mechs tromping about some virtual Inner Sphere style barrens.

However to note the Clans are coming, or will be soon that is. So the fun of living the Clan invasion(less you are you know the Free Rash folks..) will be amazing if done properly.

Considering I can identify and name 90% of the mechs from the Battletech universe I am pretty excited for this game. Oh how I spent many many hours with Mech4 and Mech4Mercs.

As long as it has Urbanmechs I'm happy. Viva La Urbie!

Seriously, I field an entire lance of Urbanmechs in Battletech, and I only lose if there is a lot of open space on the map.

They forgot the most important feature in the entire game on the review. Real Time Progressive Timeline. It will start just short of the Clan Invasion, and march on through one real world day at a time!

The more I hear about this game, the more I want it.

At first, before we saw anything beyond concept art and press-releases of 'promised' content, I was pensive. I kept thinking, "This game will have a LOT to live up to if it wants to best MW:LL."

Now we get to see the game in action and hear about a lot more of what's going into the game. And frankly...this trumps MW:LL. Easily. If even just for the 'role-based' gameplay.

Like Steve Butts and Andy Chalk, I too can not wait for this and MechWarrior Tactics to release. As a long-time mech head I've been craving some decent mech action for some time. 2012 looks prepped to more than satiate my craving.

ssgt splatter:
Ok, I remember Mechwarrior from when I was 8-12 years old...I think I was that old, and I wouldn't mind getting back inside a Timberwolf and going all 2nd Admendment on the other mechs but what I don't have now is a powerful enough computer. At least I don't think it's powerful enough, it can run Starcraft 2 pretty well...oh wait, it uses the cryengine, yeah it's not powerful enough. Is this game a PC only game or will they put it on consoles too?

It uses CryEngine 3, not CryEngine 1. (the latter of which is what Crysis ran on)

CryEngine 2 was a slimmed down, but no more or less optimized CryEngine 1. CryEngine 3 is a slimmed down but vastly more optimized version of the CryEngine 1.

Ergo, if you can run StarCraft 2 "pretty well", you can run this. I can all but guarantee it.

Also, it was initially planned for consoles, but being a game with a free-to-play business model, it just can't work on a console. So, for now at least, it seems the consoles builds were cancelled.

Got my fingers crossed that this is actually good.

Can't wait. That Wednesday Hotdrop has prevented me from sleeping. That's how much I want this.

It's kind of ironic that it's all these free to play games that are breaking my bank.

Steve Butts:

Read Full Article

Just a question. How complex is the mech customization and do you think it will be easy for a newcomer to pick up the ins and outs?

Oh how they tease me with this game!!!

Doom-Slayer:

Steve Butts:

Read Full Article

Just a question. How complex is the mech customization and do you think it will be easy for a newcomer to pick up the ins and outs?

NO! NO IT WILL FUCKING NOT!!! GET CRYSIS WARHEAD!!! GET THIS MOD FOR FREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!----> http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

THEN GRIND UNTIL YOUR FINGERS BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!! AND THEN YOU ARE READY TO PLAY...

MECHWARRIOR: ONLIIIIIIINE!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Doom-Slayer:

Steve Butts:

Read Full Article

Also do not forget to get Mechwarrior 4 for free, give it a try. Pretty decent. http://www.mektek.net/projects/mw4/download.html

Toodles.

Steve Butts:

Well, that's one off the list...

Now to get a proper Crimson Skies game again... preferably one without hardcoded load times.

Parnage:
I encourage you blokes to actually head over to the mechwarrior online site and read over the FAQ and the Dev Blog Section of the forums.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/forum/24-developers-blog/

It's pretty much a good idea of what they are planning/how things will play out.

I was going to put that link up myself, then the original news article went bonkers and wouldn't let me do it....

Anyway, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, particularly the fact that scout mechs have a purpose, even if it is only feeding target information to your team mates. It makes using terrain actually effective as well, since if they can't see you, they can't target you. I like the internals coming back, customisation sounds very tactical in its application and it would look like one hit kill protection is gone (my favourite rage moment from Mech 4: I smacked down a Flea with the full blast from a pair of LB-20Xs, straight in the centre torso. The bastard then got up and ran away.....).

Edit:

Oh yeah

I can't decide which was the better MW game, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries or Mechwarrior 3.

did that mech have fists in that picture? looks mor like a transformer than a mech wheres all the guns at?

I don't know what game you are talking about, because MWO doesn't play anything like MW4 or any previous MW game. It is, in fact, one of the worst games that it has ever been my misfortune to waste time on, and I was EXTREMELY excited about a new Mechwarrior game.

Oh, well, maybe the next game will be developed by someone with a clue.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here