No Right Answer: Best Childhood Show Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Best Childhood Show Ever

Last week things got a little heated. This week we'd like to cool things off with a little nostalgia. Remember when things were simpler, when all you had to worry about was a spelling test at the end of the week? And who did you turn to for spelling tips? Television, of course! But what gentle voices and sing-songy tones helped you learn your A-B-C's? Let's find out!

Don't forget, if you don't understand our decisions or want to have more of our material to complete your shrines to us, Mondays feature a new written companion piece titled No Right Explanation. We dare you to make less sense!

Watch Video

I submit Owl TV! It didn't have puppets, but it did have incredible shrinking kids.

Can't say I ever watch either really. I only know who Mr Rogers is from the Ultimate Showdown. Maybe it's another American thing?

Reverse spit-take? WTF??
Really good debate this week, not just from an entertainment standpoint, but from a debating one.

Living in New Zealand, we imported a lot of TV from America and UK... never had Mr Rogers over here, had all the Sesame Street (with added Maori content!).

How the hell did you guys forget about Reading Rainbow?

Okay, to be fair I kinda did too until you mentioned it...

you forgot ramblin' rod!

Never watched either i only know Mr Rogers from the ultimate showdown (as stated above) and like 4 of the sesame street characters. SATAM had my childhood.

Next week's topic: Reading Rainbow vs. Bill Nye.

At least Mr. Rogers didn't have an adverse affect on the attention span of children.

yeah but Mr Rogers can rap way better than anyone from Sesame Street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZsKqbt3gQ0&feature=relmfu

Nowadays: Jim Parsons AND Neil Patrick Harris on Sesame Street :P

Im biased to say mr rogers cause hes a PA native. But over all, I would say him just cause with his show, it seemed more timeless. I mean, I grew up watching PBS and it, so I saw both, and you could only watch Sesame street for so long before you finally said "I know my numbers, I know my abcs, I know all this stuff". iwth mr rogers though, he took you on tours of places and I learned stuff I never knew even as I grew out of sesame street. its to the point where even at 19 I can sit and watch mr rogers and still feel better about it than watching sesame street.

and while im not sure if it counts (since it was on PBS kids) a third competitor wtih Bill Nye would have awesome. Though theres a few shows that you could put here for either of those two.

Mr. Rogers teaches practical skills, dislikes minorities = blue collar conservative
Sesame Street teaches concepts, panders to celebrity = white collar liberal

Therefore, unless I've misjudged Escapist demographics, Sesame Street wins.

One two three, four five six, seven eight nine, ten eleven twelve, the ladybugs twelve, at the ladybug picnic!

What a lovely eleven morning, I heard eleven birds yawning, I saw eleven cows sleeping midst the butter cups, I said how's your cottage cheese and they said "Aw, dry up!"

Ten tiny turtles on the telephone Talking to the grocery man "We would like some lettuce, Please send us ten heads please, And ten sweet potatoes And ten rutabagas with the dimples on their knees.
And send us 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Artichokes Ten eggplants over easy That's one of our little jokes ( ha ha ha )

And of course, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REy9ZMY7LGY

Sesame Street had a level of memorable creative genius that Mr. Rogers was sorely lacking.

GeorgW:
Reverse spit-take? WTF??
Really good debate this week, not just from an entertainment standpoint, but from a debating one.

I agree, probably one of my favourites.

I say Mr. Rogers all the way. He is quite possibly the nicest person to have lived since St. Francis of Assisi. Aside from a very gentle, soothing theme song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w9xk4hUKoQ) that puts you at ease, I pull from wikipedia:

During the 1997 Daytime Emmys, the Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Rogers. The following is an excerpt from Esquire's coverage of the gala, written by Tom Junod:
Mister Rogers went onstage to accept the award - and there, in front of all the soap opera stars and talk show sinceratrons, in front of all the jutting man-tanned jaws and jutting saltwater bosoms, he made his small bow and said into the microphone, "All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are. Ten seconds of silence."
And then he lifted his wrist, looked at the audience, looked at his watch, and said, "I'll watch the time." There was, at first, a small whoop from the crowd, a giddy, strangled hiccup of laughter, as people realized that he wasn't kidding, that Mister Rogers was not some convenient eunuch, but rather a man, an authority figure who actually expected them to do what he asked. And so they did. One second, two seconds, three seconds - and now the jaws clenched, and the bosoms heaved, and the mascara ran, and the tears fell upon the beglittered gathering like rain leaking down a crystal chandelier. And Mister Rogers finally looked up from his watch and said softly "May God be with you," to all his vanquished children.[14][22]

Mr. Rogers was the nicest person of our age, and Big Bird just can't compare as a role model.

Captcha: Patience, child I am now thoroughly creeped out

Dave Chappelle reference FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdim8hWR44

I never watched either, live in Australia, not even sure if Mr. Rogers shows on TV here... I grew up with Batman: The Animated Series and Thunderbirds.

empirialtank:
yeah but Mr Rogers can rap way better than anyone from Sesame Street.

Against Mr.T as well.

As for the Best Childhood Show Ever? The Magic School Bus man! I loved that show. Made me want a Lizard like Lizzy.

mine was a muppet house yo, *came up on the street*

(note, you'll wanna imagine the most awkward white guy trying to be black possible for that line)

disappointed:
Mr. Rogers teaches practical skills, dislikes minorities = blue collar conservative

Well, according to that analysis, the internet would also vote for Sesame Street.

Seriously? Brum...!!!

Brum is the most legendary creation ever! He is a complete god of childrens telly!

(I cannot check or see videos at work, but that should be the intro to Brum, where he sneaks out of the garage at night! Not one of the new series... or that blasted cartoon version!!)

EDIT: Oh... and I have no idea what anyone was talking about... we had Sesame St as a kid, but I don't remember any of the actual people from it, just the puppets, and none of the other references I recognise... so I just went for a British nostalgia blst! :P

Man it's all about Arthur. That show is still running new episodes and I have been watching that since forever. All of the characters I loved Arthur, Buster, Brain, Francine just made it a timeless show for me.

ha ha ha what I don't even know what I just watched but it was great

I'm Brazilian and Mister Rogers was never broadcast here, but Sesame Street was. Why? Because they only needed to send the puppets over and make their own Sesame Street, and not worry about how it teaches children about the letter K even though it doesn't exist in Portuguese[1]. You can't do the same with Mr. Rogers because he's a guy. No puppet power.

Father Time:
Next week's topic: Reading Rainbow vs. Bill Nye.

Nah, the only thing that can compete against Bill Nye is Beakman's World.

disappointed:

...I like the way you think.

[1] Although it does as of 2012

They failed to bring up the big difference between Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, pacing. Sesame Street constantly jumps from one thing to the next so kids never get bored. Mr. Rogers sat down and talked to kids (but not down to kids) at great length. He had a very slow calming pace. Segments like "How Cheerios Are Made"* go on forever** but kids will sit still and watch them because they want to learn something from this man. I think if we had more Fred Rogers we'd need less Ritalin.

* I don't know that that was a real segment I'm just taking their word for it.

** Okay, probably not more than 10 minutes, but that's an eternity compared to anything on Sesame Street.

Who's Mr Rogers?

British Version:

John Craven versus Johnny Ball versus John Noakes (Blue Peter)....I think?

But I'm quite old now ;)

Once again, you're both wrong.
It's Arthur.
Interestingly: Sesame street is filmed in my ladyfriend's old neighborhood.
Also: Mr. Rogers bothered me as a child.

Souplex:
Once again, you're both wrong.
It's Arthur.
Interestingly: Sesame street is filmed in my ladyfriend's old neighborhood.
Also: Mr. Rogers bothered me as a child.

Yeah, looks like a real good role model to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9EGoacpRc&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL35AAB34EF515DA10

Back on topic, I'd have to go with Mr. Rogers. Sesame Street was great when you were little but Mr. Rogers gave you life lessons that stuck.

This was a lopsided debate IMO. I have no qualms with Mister Rogers but Sesame Street is a cultural force. The template for Sesame Street is reproduced in countries around the world. It was used to ease ethnic tensions amongst children in war torn Kosovo for crying out loud. As great as Mister Rogers is, I really don't think he stood a chance.

Chris loses for resorting to racism. Just bad form.
And even if he did not resort to such a underhanded tactic Mr Rogers would have won anyway. He won not only the ultimate battle of ultimate destiny but also the ultimate orgy of ultimate destiny.

Captcha: Go fuck yourself you useless, annoying, piece of shit that only exists because the escapist gets paid for forcing this shit on its unfortunate users.

Your all wrong. It was Thomas the Tank Engine.

Take a look, it's in a book...

Fitz and the tantrums ad

disappointed:
Mr. Rogers dislikes minorities

Maybe you should include a source before making claims like this

Thanks to Mr Rogers... I learned that it took 4 hours to paint Lou Ferrigno green.

And that Eddie Murphy makes a good spoof of the show!

I always preferred Mr. Rogers growing up. I liked Sesame Street, but it was teaching me things I already knew, my ABC's and my 123's. I think I was six, and when my Grandparent's were baby-sitting me I loved Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Mainly because he was a real person, and showed how real people do their job. Even if it was a crayon factory, or a peanut butter factory, it was real people doing real jobs. I found that far more interesting than muppets gabbing about numbers and letters. And his argument he made before congress about funding for PBS and children's shows is amazing

I'm sure the people working on Sesame Street cared about kids as well, but none of them went before Congress and made their point. Sesame Street taught me numbers and letters which I already knew. Mr. Rogers helped to re-enforce the idea that I should be a decent human being.

Pfft. Sesame street? Mr. Rogers?

I didnt need those kinda lessons! From 3-6, Power Rangers taught me everything i needed to know! Friendship solves problems! Teamwork is key! Forgive others and accept them back into your life! Power Rangers taught me REAL things! Not minor things my parents should have taught me like "Tying your shoes" and "Cereal isnt grown". I learned everything from racial tolerance to being yourself from this group of multiracial butt kickers! ((Oh, and frontflips are awesome. Everything is better with frontflips))

And then 7-8 i had the smoothest teacher on the planet! Johnny "Get the girl" Bravo! He taught me how to interact with women! How important personal hygiene is! To never let a little thing like "Rejection" get me down! And to respect my mother, because shes the most important woman in my life! Johnny B is the reason i live a happy life with my wife, and why i know what cool is! Cool is being yourself 8) And knowing a dozen pickup lines for every occasion, no matter how bad they are.

And durning that time with Big teacher JB, i learned life lessons from Kenan And Kel! That no matter the situation, family and friends will keep you afloat! That your never alone in life, and no matter how much DERP your best friend can pull out of his back pocket ((Who loves orange Soda?!?!?!)) he'll always be there for you!

And after then, Invader Zim! And a bunch of anime. And Megas XLR. That one taught me the most important rules of life.

Chicks. Dig. Giant. Robots. And Mega Slush is a dish best served before and after Galactic BUTT WHOOPIN! Also, that even if your overweight, your still you. Be proud of who you are. And that you dont need utensils to eat stuffing.

My wife still hates that life rule, but oh well. Its part of who i am. :) Thank you Coop, for teaching me that its ok to be the Big Guy, so long as you enjoy being it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here