Mass Effect 3: The Process

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

[Illusive Man]
*smokes cigarette and breaths out slowly*
"Shepard. By now you should be reading this in my voice, which may speed up the process. We need you to infiltrate Bioware and retrieve or create an alternate DLC for Mass Effect 3"

[Shepard]: DLC?

[Illusive Man]: Downloadable Content. It would appear not too many humans are pleased with the ending of Mass Effect 3 *smokes some more* Cerberus believes that it is in the best interest of our species to rectify this terrible mistake.

[Shepard]:

-I'll do it, but because I want to help humanity not Cerberus
-Where do I start?
-I'm gonna twist Bioware's Quads!

[Illusive Man]: Good to hear. And Shepard... You better still be reading this in my voice.

FFHAuthor:

Daft Ghosty:
My only hope currently with ME3 is to hold onto a fan fic ending someone wrote, b/c I don't see Bioware fixing this insult.

Which one are you going with? I just hammered out the start to my own yesterday.

I'm going with this one.
http://arkis.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-3-Alternate-Endings-SPOILERS-289902125?offset=10#comments

It uses allot of the reaper AI convo you get in the game, but expands on what Shepard would do and say when given the three choices. Its a bit of a read, but it made me fill allot better. I've since filled in some of the companions actions of my own, but for me.. this is the ending of ME3.

Wolfram23:
I don't get it. Can someone explain to me, a person who has not played Mass Effect, what the big deal is? I read about the endings on some spoiler thing and I just don't understand the issue. Is it because it's hard to get the happy ending? You can't deal with a depressing ending? Other?

Other. The problem is three fold.

1) When we meet the Catalyst (god-child thing that created the Reapers), we are told the reason the Reapers exist. Specifically, "In order to stop organics from creating synthetics that kill them, I created the Reapers and the Cycle to kill the organics first".

It's self-contradictory and flat out retarded logic that wouldn't pass muster with anyone with half a brain.

2) There's no epilogue/closure. There's no details about what happened afterwards, and all of the ending cutscenes are identical bar the color of the space-magic. Thus, it feels like none of your choices matter. They could easily solve it with a DA:O or Fallout style static image with text slideshow that explained what happened with your crew and the various plot decisions you made during the game.

3) The way the options are presented to you runs directly counter to the tone and themes of the series thus far. The whole series has been about defiance in the face of the inevitable, refusal to surrender, the power of free will and optimism in the face of Armageddon. The way the end is presented, it's pessimistic and a surrender to fate. There's no way to fight against it, you simply must accept what you are told at face value, that synthetics will always kill their creators, and must make a decision accordingly.

Finally, because its starting to get embarrassing. Not the people commenting about there disappoints in a calm fashion, but the over the top raging and whining about every single little thing.

I was also disappointed by the endings, and just decided not to play it again and sold it - which is a shame as i played ME1 and ME2 at least 5 times each. Thing i hated was the game seemed smaller, could only walk around on the Citiadal....why no where else? I was actually more annoyed that there was no game manual in the box.

Agayek:

putowtin:
I'm sure I had more that 5000, I had every asset, but now I'm curious....
Maybe when my heart stops feeling so heavy I'll re-play!

Don't bother. If you have >5,000 assets, you get a 4 second cutscene after the Normandy crashes that the chest of a human (the implication being Shepard) that gasps suddenly before the screen fades to black and the credits start. It's literally no different up until that point.

ok just went in and checked my game, I had 4621 assets, and got that ending anyway
(yeah I went with the blow up the enemy ending).
Ah crap, back to being depressed!

Wow, this is scarily accurate.

Jesus Christ, what was so bad about it?

Can someone tell me what the endings are and how they are so horrible? Using spoilers or a PM, of course.

sordcooper:
uh, yeah, control was the paragon option, you take control of the reapers and can therefore send them all back to dark space and stop the war outright. Besides, only merge or destroy ended up with the relays being blown up i think. Still, all awful endings

Nope, I did control and the relays still blow up.

Jabberwock xeno:

Can someone tell me what the endings are and how they are so horrible? Using spoilers or a PM, of course.

The primary problems with it are that A) The reason the Reapers exist at all makes absolutely no sense, and is self-contradictory, B) the lack of proper closure and epilogue, and C) the severe tonal and thematic shift from the rest of the series.

Jabberwock xeno:

Read my post on page 2. I've spoiler-tagged the part which explains how pretty much NOTHING in the ending makes sense.

Agayek:

Jabberwock xeno:

The primary problems with it are that A) The reason the Reapers exist at all makes absolutely no sense, and is self-contradictory, B) the lack of proper closure and epilogue, and C) the severe tonal and thematic shift from the rest of the series.

I actually really, really like the endings.

Regardless, I'd be pretty happy with the ending, if I were a ME fan.

EDIT:

I get the reason for the reapers now, and how it's not circular logic:

I don't even know what the citadel or a relay is, and I figured that out.

Jabberwock xeno:

Haven't laughed at my screen like that for some time. At least now I am on the acceptance stage but this pretty much sums up my reaction on what happened after ending my 1st game.

Captcha: lager frenzy - ok, will do that!

Daft Ghosty:

FFHAuthor:

Daft Ghosty:
My only hope currently with ME3 is to hold onto a fan fic ending someone wrote, b/c I don't see Bioware fixing this insult.

Which one are you going with? I just hammered out the start to my own yesterday.

I'm going with this one.
http://arkis.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-3-Alternate-Endings-SPOILERS-289902125?offset=10#comments

It uses allot of the reaper AI convo you get in the game, but expands on what Shepard would do and say when given the three choices. Its a bit of a read, but it made me fill allot better. I've since filled in some of the companions actions of my own, but for me.. this is the ending of ME3.

Damn that's nice. I've got work to do.

digital warrior:
Yah the ending was pretty shit. But here something that will at least make it interesting if true. http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/355/index/9727423/1

Basically it states that the entire part with the citadel was an indoctrination test set by the reapers in Sheppard's death coma, its an interesting read the theirs allot of evidence to support it.

Still pisses me off though cause that means it's incomplete and they will charge us for the ending. Not cool man, not cool.

Honestly, I still think the ending would have been a lot better if they just cut the elevator, post elevator three switches sequence, and had the energy wave sequence destroying the reapers, and bouncing relay to relay, without the Normandy.

tzimize:

Nimcha:
Very funny.

I do hope people will come into the acceptance stage soon though. I loved the endings and I've let a few people see why and some agreed, but I'm not gonna do that anymore.

I just hope Bioware comes with some kind of statement explaining the general themes of the endings to help people make sense of them.

I liked them too at first.

But then I started thinking about how much we dont get to know, and how much I feel all that army-collecting didnt really matter much and that I had no control over anything, as a COMPLETE opposite to the BRILLIANT suicide mission.

This ending is awful. And tbh, I'd almost rather have an ending as silly as this: Sort of spoilerish, so dont watch unless you've finished it.

You know... I prefer that ending. If only because it's Gurren Lagann, which means everyone will be alright in the end (even if a few awesome fan-faves have to die to do so). So! Who wants to hack the GL song into Mass Effect, along with the voices and captions for the ending? I'll give you a cookie if you replace Shepards Omni-blade with a drill.

TsunamiWombat:

Jabberwock xeno:

Also, it might be worth pointing out that the Normandy cut-scene makes no sense, from a continuity standpoint:

Falsename:
[Illusive Man]
"Shepard. By now you should be reading this in my voice, which may speed up the process.

Goddamnit, now I have Martin Sheen in my head! :((

Jabberwock xeno:

Agayek:

Jabberwock xeno:

EDIT:

I get the reason for the reapers not, and how it's not circular logic:

The problem isn't that it's a Pyrrhic victory, that would be fine, and, I agree, something we don't see enough of. The problem is, the conditions that stipulate the three best case options are all predicated on "facts" that the player has quite possibly disproved during the course of the game.

Starke:

Falsename:
[Illusive Man]
"Shepard. By now you should be reading this in my voice, which may speed up the process.

Jabberwock xeno:

Agayek:

EDIT:

The problem isn't that it's a Pyrrhic victory, that would be fine, and, I agree, something we don't see enough of. The problem is, the conditions that stipulate the three best case options are all predicated on "facts" that the player has quite possibly disproved during the course of the game.

How so?

I thought the fact that the reapers

was covered way back in ME1/2?

Jabberwock xeno:
How so?

Honestly, the Reapers being partially organic wasn't explained until the reveal at the end of ME2.

I googled "Mass Effect Garrus Body Pillow". The first result was a Tumblr page.

THE WORLD IS IN NEED OF A GARRUS BODY PILLOW!! STAT!!!

Jabberwock xeno:

Starke:

Falsename:
[Illusive Man]

Jabberwock xeno:

EDIT:

How so?

An example is the assertion used by the god-child-deus-ex-machina thing that:

That's one example. Then there's the continuity problems mentioned above. Also the fact that

I think for most it just stops at the Anger stage.

How true

Grey Carter:
Mass Effect 3: The Process

Let the healing begin.

Read Full Article

Freaking brilliant, I am still in the negotiation part, and from all the Twittering the ME PR guy is doing, a DLC is coming.

Hah. This is probably the best strip you guys have done since the one of the Battlefield 3 story. Her words are so perfectly chosen in the last two panels.

A Garrus love pillow?

Garrus is my favorite squad member, but I don't love him that much. XD

As for the endings, yes, they could have been better. But I'm fine with them now. Mass Effect 3 is still a great game and I'm not going to let the game's endings prevent me from enjoying my second playthrough.

It felt too much like Deus Ex Machina at the end. I was expecting, with how the game was moving at that point, for me to have to fight agents Indoctrination before pressing the kill switch. After that we would have been treated to the Reapers being defeated in some awesome way, and Sheppards friends coming to save him in the Normandy. The ending would be a quick overview of the survivors returning home before the Mass relays shut down for for good, and possibly Sheppard being still alive. That would have been cool, but what we got was a Deus Ex Machina ending.

The ending sould have had a lot more involved with your actions through the passed three games, and how awesome Sheppard was.

digital warrior:
Yah the ending was pretty shit. But here something that will at least make it interesting if true. http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/355/index/9727423/1

Basically it states that the entire part with the citadel was an indoctrination test set by the reapers in Sheppard's death coma, its an interesting read the theirs allot of evidence to support it.

Still pisses me off though cause that means it's incomplete and they will charge us for the ending. Not cool man, not cool.

yes, and Im sure they have plenty of evidence that santa claus is real too and that John carville is actually zombie lincoln

Hahaha. I haven't played ME3, but last night my brother came out at 11pm bearing Erin's exact expression in panel 5. After he explained the options to me, all I could think was "What, isn't that just a terrible ripoff of Deus Ex's choices?"

Also Grey and Cory, I liked your subtle nod to The Doors and Apocalypse Now.

Odd that this comic is the first thing on the Escapist to bring it up.

Fappy:

ThunderCavalier:
*sees final panel*

So, hands up. Who thinks Erin needs a therapist?

*Raises hand*

I do too.

I think we all need one after the atrocity we have witness in Mass Effect 3 ending...

Starke:

Falsename:
[Illusive Man]

I believe what you meant to say is "Hell yeah, now I have Martin Sheen in my head!"

mdk31:
Also the fact that

That said, endings still stupid.

EDIT: My bad about the accidental over-quote.

Fappy:

ThunderCavalier:
*sees final panel*

So, hands up. Who thinks Erin needs a therapist?

*Raises hand*

I do too.

I think Erin's therapist will need a therapist...

Well i was severely disappointed in the ME3 ending, i would have been fine without a happy ending,but with the amount of time i put into my relationships with these characters, the amount of detail and background i painstakingly worked for (including my first play through of mass effect 2 was with 3 broken fingers >.<) The most i see is them getting out of a destroyed normandy out in the middle of fucking nowhere? and i only get too see Joker + 2 others that change depending on my relationships? WTF? even though i did the "destroy" option and saw the scene where shepard breathed again i have to face facts, She is severly wounded, losing alot of blood and lying in the middle of a war zone, so even though she took that breath, she is prbably still gonna die anyway, also even if she does survive, all the time and effort i put into my relationship with garrus, he's in the middle of no-where with a broken down ship and no plausible way short of shepard spending decades looking for him to find him and thats only if she survives on earth.....Well done bioware.....Well done....

Edit: Not to mention the massive plot hole of all the Turians/Salarians/Asari/Quarians being abonded around earth with no mass effect relays, wtf are they gonna do now? It would take a very long time for them to get back to their respective homeworlds...

Where can I buy that pillow?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or