Zero Punctuation: Syndicate

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Syndicate

This week, Zero Punctuation review Syndicate.

Watch Video

I didn't wanted to play it after seeing some gameplay videos, but after what you said, now I really want to... what the hell?

The end summed these reboots up quite nicely.

Pretty much summed up everyones arguments against this game. Now to await the legions of blind fools who claim this game is a good syndicate game.

Ending hit the nail on the head, yeah lol.

I feel like it's just a phase. Isometric strategy games were the bees knees in the 90s, and the late 90s/early 2000s had the whole 3D platformer thing going on for a while.

Now we're in the HOORAH MARINE CORE GET SOME shooting things with a gun/cover mechanics in abundance/excessive bloom phase.

I wonder what the next phase will be, hopefully an excessive amount of open world RPGs. I wouldn't mind that at all, lol.

Indeed, the apparent lack of crossover in people who remember Syndicate and won't feel violated it's now an FPS, and people who don't remember Syndicate and want another bland cyberpunk adventure because Deus Ex: Human Revolution had them entertained for a bit is appallingly low. But EA aren't dumb, though. ...yes, they're evil, and they're apathetic to their consumers 'n all that. But they wouldn't kick this game out the door unless they thought it had a chance. Starbreeze's name holds a lot of cred, perhaps?

...ah well. Every review for this game I see makes me slightly less mad that it got banned in Australia. Speaking of which.... Yaaahtzeee wheree'd you get yoour cooppy from? Sneaky bugger.

"You wont endure yourself to me by offering to rape my mom for 50 bucks!"

How about 60 then?

Ah Syndicate, yet another old, unused IP whose hope was raised when a strapping new company picked her up, only to be beat relentlessly over and over again.

Oh, if only Nickelback led to suicide....

Wait, I mean, it totally makes sense to make this into an FPS because they're more immersive!

We should be more offended that yet another slice of potential for a nice modern game in a forgotten genre has been forever smacked in the face with a crowbar until it no longer resembles anything more than generic jam.

Next thing you know they'll be remaking X-com as a shooter.....god dammit.

Hopefully that game will still retain some of its personality, unlike Mr. Kilo over here.

Qitz:

How about 60 then?

Ah Syndicate, yet another old, unused IP whose hope was raised when a strapping new company picked her up, only to be beat relentlessly over and over again.

It's a shame that its developer StarBreeze laid off its some employees after finishing the development of this game.

Anyway, can you think of another old IP that big game companies could use and might suffer the same fate as Syndicate?

Oh it's published by EA, well that's all I need to know.

i do really love you zeropunctuation-man. i'm not very fond of your novel, but hell do i like your style showing bad games why they suck in a very straight forward way. please do mass effect 3 next and tell the wtfis-dude that he's the suck... mass effect 3 multiplayer is the worst thing since wow-pvp.

Thanks Yahtzee, you saved me from spending $60 for a crap-tacular game.
I would have seen Syndicate and though, alright they made a up-to-date remake of that old cyber punk game I played on someone elses PC.

The developers did the exact opposite of what the game will be...
sold out

Edit: Also Fuck the new Captcha! It took me twelve minutes to get one that would even load!

Now I have the urge to watch Thomas the Tank Engine... celebrity narrations are always fun

Antonio Torrente:

It's a shame that its developer StarBreeze laid off its some employees after finishing the development of this game.

Anyway, can you think of another old IP that big game companies could use and might suffer the same fate as Syndicate?

Wasn't Xcom being "re-made" as an FPS shoot as well? Coming from a Strategy game. It seems pretty much any game that had guns will be re-made into an FPS.

Same thing happened to Duke Nukem. If they brought back Doom it would probably go the same route as Duke. They don't have to be 100% accurate to the original but they should keep the core aspect of the game the same. It'd be like making CivVI into a Third Person Shooter RPG.

"I'm secretly gay"
That is definitely the sort of videogame storytelling I am looking for.
Too bad the game looks BORING.

Even the *not* total hate from Yahtzee make me want to try it.

Shooters, pssh.

Andy of Comix Inc:

...ah well. Every review for this game I see makes me slightly less mad that it got banned in Australia. Speaking of which.... Yaaahtzeee wheree'd you get yoour cooppy from? Sneaky bugger.

Probably at GAMETRADERS ROBINA, just like SSBB.

Qitz:

Endear*

Still, easier to look at than Deus Ex: HR...

Ahh, Dad's left nut. Those were the days.

Ah yes, the urge to violate an old property in the belief that negative name recognition is better than none.

Or what I call 'The Shadowrun Stratagem'

"Flooding their headsets with Nickelback songs until they commit suicide."

Suddenly I want this game, and then to mod on a sound effect of everytime the suicide ability is used, play Nickelback songs in the background.

It was masochistically awesome.

I imagine that I'll hear something like, from 4:54 on, if the X-com FPS ever gets reviewed.

Heh well this could of been more critical but ya what can you do? He is pretty much right about how baffling EA is slapping on the syndicate name, on something that is simply a generic shooter.

Good to hear Brain Cox is still getting work. Was able to meet him on a couple of occasions and one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Even have a Super Troopers DVD he signed. Sad to hear it's in a bad remake of a game that was really decent 20 years ago.

"you know I'm my day, syndicate was a very good game!"
"Shut up grandma!"

Ahh kids these days!

ViewFinder:
The end summed these reboots up quite nicely.

You mean the part of about the target audience being the ones who would either not know about the original, or just not have been the ones who liked it?

I've wondered that myself. Do these marketroids honestly expect nostalgia to carry them through beyond the first sucker with a web show getting tricked, then making enough noise to warn his contemporaries of the scam?

I'm seriously curious. Do they actually promote this sort of "thinking" to the soulless hordes going for marketing degrees?

Excellent arguments, a good summation of Why This Never Needed To Be Made.

Just wanted to note that this was the first time the under-credits animation sequence made me bust out laughing. Well played, Yahtzee.

I actually remember thinking way back in my youth that a Syndicate FPS would be the greatest thing ever. When I heard that it was actually being made, my heart sank. More proof that dreams shouldn't always necessarily come true...

Actually thought about giving this game a try, but dear lord I've *never* seen such horrible lighting and lens flare effects. Not only does it have the horrific console FoV, but about 20% of that space is completely obstructed most of the time by the weirdest lateral lens flare I've ever seen. It's literally the first game to give me a headache playing it for less than 20 minutes (and I've gone on 10hour gaming marathons without any problems)

Mr.Tea:

Andy of Comix Inc:

Probably at GAMETRADERS ROBINA, just like SSBB.

Qitz:

Endear*

friad not. Yathzee said gametraders robina sank like the SS not profitable enough.

not true ben "yahzee", i wanted to set EA on fire long before they started making lots n lots of darned shooter games!!!

I like the part around five minutes where he describes the two groups who might be interested in this title.

It's spot on. I'm part of the latter "setting the publisher's office on fire" group. I expect a re-imaging of a game to improve it, flesh it out, etc. Not dumb it down.

The people in the former "too young to remember it" group won't give a damn about any of that, so EA might as well just give it another name that doesn't involve any licensing issues.

I'm glad the X-Com shooter got pushed back and (hopefully) replaced with a more appropriate remake. If they go ahead with the shooter in the long run, they should ditch all the X-Com references. A clean slate would give them more creative freedom in the shooter, and avoid angering those of us who remember the old strategic game. Heck, if it works out under it's own franchise, that's another franchise for gamers to enjoy, and the publisher to sell.

Why can't more re-imagings be like Battlezone (1998) or Battlezone II? (problems with bugs and forward compatibility aside)

See this has always been my question/gripe with this game.
Why bother slapping the Syndicate name on it when it's got mostly bugger all to do with it and doesn't at all rely on anything in the actual Syndicate universe.

I would wager that the game would have actually done fractionally better if it hadn't had the Syndicate name as people wouldn't have drawn comparisons.
But someone along the way decided that having a little bit of online controversy (they full-well knew it was going to happen) was free advertising and so took the name just for that I should imagine.

Wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot gauss gun.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here