Zero Punctuation: Syndicate

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

"Swimming in your dad's left bollock in 1993".

That is just uncanny.

It looked boring since it was announced. So far nothing has changed that would make me change my mind about this game.

I'm still waiting for some genius to remake Crusader No Remorse/Regret

I guess EA is self aware of them actually being a soulless corporation, except they're not a megaglobal corporation... though they wish they where.

Regardless of what streamlined turds they have released, nobody gives a game the same name as one released before it, without being branded grade A assholes. They give new meaning to
Triple A...
Aesthetics
Arrogance
Assholes

I remember it fondly.I was eight years old, and I was reading a gaming-magazine. I saw Syndicate, and intrigued, I downloaded the demo. Within half an hour, I was jumping up and down, clinging to my dad proclaiming "Daaad, if you buy it for me, I'll NEVER WANT ANOTHER GAME AGAIN!" (I remember saying these words. I remember it clearly).

Well, how the hell is Syndicate supposed to stand up against my expectations?

Funny that you mention sightseeing tours because I was hoping you'd review Asura's Wrath today

I never played the original "Syndicate," but I remember how excited I was when I saw they made an updated "Shadowrun." I bought it based on name alone, took it home, loaded it up, and found out not only was it a First Person Shooter, but it had absolutely no story. None. Not even a PRETENSE at a story mode. I've never felt so betrayed by a video game in my life.

Great, now I'm all bitter and angry again. >:(

Is the original Syndicate anything like X-Com: UFO Defense? If so, I might just want to go find it.

Hristo Petrov:
I'm still waiting for some genius to remake Crusader No Remorse/Regret

Dont...just dont even joke about that. If they made The Silencer into a horrible cliche and put him in a crappy game, I might have to cry. Though the idea of switching sides would have been much better in a Crusader remake than Syndicate.

This game tells us people who work at McD should be shot in the head?
But that just wants me to buy it even more.

*resists, in a month it'll be half price*

Inkidu:
Is the original Syndicate anything like X-Com: UFO Defense? If so, I might just want to go find it.

Its really easy to find, and cheap, over on Good old Games. I would heartily recommend it.

Inkidu:

Sort of but in real time...but you can pause/slow down/speed up time iirc.

Oh and you can recreate the 'rookie' wall from x-com as well, just 'persuade' some civvies and viola..insta bulletmeat.

Syndicate Wars was decent too though its early gen 3d so it can be a little...hard on the eyes.

Qitz:

Antonio Torrente:

It's a shame that its developer StarBreeze laid off its some employees after finishing the development of this game.

Anyway, can you think of another old IP that big game companies could use and might suffer the same fate as Syndicate?

Wasn't Xcom being "re-made" as an FPS shoot as well? Coming from a Strategy game. It seems pretty much any game that had guns will be re-made into an FPS.

Same thing happened to Duke Nukem. If they brought back Doom it would probably go the same route as Duke. They don't have to be 100% accurate to the original but they should keep the core aspect of the game the same. It'd be like making CivVI into a Third Person Shooter RPG.

At least X-com is also getting a new strategy game on top of the shooter.

"Hacked the Gibson" fuckin awesome reference there, even if syndicate doesnt really use the hacking enough or competently enough to make it a memorable feature.
still, i bet not even 50% of your viewers will get it ^^

I have the original lying around somewhere. I think I'll give it a go.

I freaking loved the original Syndicate. Controlling a squad of minigun-wielding cyborg assassins in a dystopian future? Awesome. The game required thought, tactics and planning. In several missions you couldn't just barge in guns blazing or else you'd fail.

And the original game also had the Persuadertron, possibly the most awesome bit of cyberpunk equipment ever. If they didn't include a Persuadertron in this game, then everybody at EA needs another swift kick in the nuts, next to the other swift kick they need for remaking Syndicate as an FPS.

The simple answer to your final question, Yahtzee my good man, is as follows: The games industry is made up, for the most part, of uncreative programmers who see the world as a series of equations. They can't be bothered to come up with their own original content, but they're all too happy to revisit their fondest childhood memories while shoe horning in todays latest clichés.

That aside, you said it had a good story, and I do love Cyberpunk to a slightly disturbing degree, so looks like I'll be giving this a spin at some point... That is if it's on PC.

Yahtzee 2 Syndicate 1

Perhaps there's some milage in looking at old games, EA? Just a thought....

Zachary Amaranth:
Oh, if only Nickelback led to suicide....

Wait, I mean, it totally makes sense to make this into an FPS because they're more immersive!

If forced to listen to it enough and you will want to..

or have a homicidal schizophrenic episode that leads to suicidal tendancies.

Ringo Starr was actually a very good narrator and I love Thomas the tank engine... so yeah, take that.

I can't get upset too much because we are blessed to live in a world where Paradox Entertainment exists and are making Cartel, their own Syndicate spiritual successor. And X-COM is getting a true turn-based strategy remake as well. As far as '90s dead genres go, 2012 has been kind to this one.

Barring ME3 I'd like to see Yahtzee do another of his dual episodes using Postal3 and Journey. The theme can be a comparison of gaming's lowest form of art versus it's highest form of art.

Eh. That's my opinion on Syndicate, just...eh. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, the SP is boring as hell, but I did enjoy playing MP until I started encountering douches with sniper rifles killing fucking everything. Instant fun-suckers. Haven't even finished SP yet, because I hate those cloaked guys.

I'm glad you touched on the bloom/lens flare.It was really irritating.

Thank you for this day's chuckles,I really needed a bit of happiness after the sadness Mass Effect 3's ending gave me.

Looking forward to seeing you rip on it in the weeks to come.

porpoise hork:

If forced to listen to it enough and you will want to..

or have a homicidal schizophrenic episode that leads to suicidal tendancies.

that explains those weird blackouts....I thought I was just a drunk!

Proverbial Jon:
Ringo Starr was actually a very good narrator and I love Thomas the tank engine... so yeah, take that.

Yeah, but he probably wouldn't have been on Shining Time Station if he wasn't the least liked member of a now-defunct band. Harrison and McCartney both moved on with their careers to a large part. Starr was an also-ran in his own band, and it never really got better.

Still, I enjoyed him as Mr Conductor, so there's that.

That college freshman girl analogy made my day. Maybe I just like the braids with grasses combo.

This episode was alright but not great, it started off very strongly but about 2 to 3 minutes in kinda just lost it's narrative coherence and seemed to finish off listing random jokes about the game.

I think you could probably cut-and-paste this video for the upcoming XCom shooter.

Spot on Yahtzee! The single player had some great concepts but it never bothers to do anything with them in its insultingly short playtime of 5 hours. The co-op is pretty solid though, but I wish they had chosen better looking characters.

Honestly, I don't see why corporations with armed mercenary forces having at each other and commiting industrial espianoge is any different from what governments do all the time. Because a government is nothing but a business that just happens to have its hands in a large number of industries (monopolistically), and gets dressed up with a venear of "legitimacy" because some of their executives are chosen by people rather than by business hierarchy.

So in a dystopian future governments fall and corporations rise to take their place? What exactly has changed then? Only that a corporation can't extort money from people by way of "taxes", and patriotism doesn't blind people to a company's malarky. Other than that, you still have large economic bodies waging war and subterfuge against each other. Just that they've hired the agents, rather than simply drafting them (or having them enlist).

Which is not to say I think soldiers are wrong for wanting to defend their country from threats, just that I don't exactly trust the ones giving them orders and taking advantage of their faith in the state.

Wait, wasn't this supposed to be a rant about the Syndicate? Woops.

Inkidu:

The metagame is rather similar, you pick up weapons, do research on them, equip and upgrade your teammates. The actual gameplay of Syndicate however is a multi-unit action game, not really a strategy game. In some ways its actually even more a puzzle game then an action game, as a lot of the difficulty doesn't resolve around being fast, but around figuring out the best way to get a job done. Or to put it yet another way, Syndicate is a lot like modern sandbox games like GTA, except you have four guys, an isometric perspective and you die a lot (at least in Syndicate Wars, Syndicate might have been a bit easier).

The real crux with turning Syndicate into an FPS isn't that Syndicate was some depth slow strategy game, but that in Syndicate you don't play the agents, but the guy in the chair commanding them. Turning it into a FPS breaks that whole premise.

Yahtzee... I would of laughed at that "filling an IPod full of Nickelback songs" joke, if only I hadn't experienced it first hand.

I hacked my friend's Ipad full of Nickelback, by the end you could of called it a silver-back, because it was all nickles and had the cumulative weight of a fully grown and angry silver-back gorilla.
Which is pretty much how he reacted. SWAT called Animal Control, and it took a combination of enough tranqs and tasers to both short out Robert Downey Jr's drug tolerance AND Tony Stark's fancy chest-magnet.

Was lucky too... his wrath only affected a group of 12yr olds about to hit their 10th prestiege in Call of Duty, stopped him just before he turned on the preschool nearby.

Antonio Torrente:

Anyway, can you think of another old IP that big game companies could use and might suffer the same fate as Syndicate?

I can see EA turning the rest of Bullfrog's back catalogue into First/Third Person Shooters with mixed results. Magic Carpet would work well under modern tech, and a third person remake of Dungeon Keeper could be like Orcs Must Die! but with a bigger budget. Populous on the other hand just wouldn't work and Theme Park would end up being banned in at least Australia and Germany on taste and decency grounds.

Proverbial Jon:

Yeah, but he probably wouldn't have been on Shining Time Station if he wasn't the least liked member of a now-defunct band. Harrison and McCartney both moved on with their careers to a large part. Starr was an also-ran in his own band, and it never really got better.

Still, I enjoyed him as Mr Conductor, so there's that.[/quote]

Granted, Ringo was hardly the best of the Beatles and frankly he's one giant jerk nowadays, especially after he publicly shunned his own "fans". But I did enjoy his narration all the same, however short lived.

Being British myself I have not been exposed to any Shining Time Station and if I'm honest I didn't even realise Thomas had such a large presence in America as far back as the late 80s. I'm certainly curious, I might have to look that up, for nostalgia's sake if nothing else!

Hehe I don't remember Syndicate (even though I've heard about it) but I still want to set certain publishers offices on fire! :)

Nice to know that it is still standard practice to rip off nostalgia people by using old unused IP's. If they keep this up no one will want to buy Call of duty 27 because the know it will s*ck... So I say keep it up...:)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here