No Right Answer: Best "Playa" Ever

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm gonna have to throw in my own vote here real quick and suggest Commander Shepard as the biggest playa!

Here's my reasoning behind it. Bond can get with any chick he can find on Earth. Kirk beats him out by gettin' with both Earth-ly and interstellar women! Shepard beats out both Kirk and Bond because he can not only get with any Earth-ly or interstellar woman he wishes to be with, but any DUDE he wants to get with too!

orangeapples:
And the real right answer is Ash Ketchum. He's hooked up with ladies across different regions, and he's only 10.

Damn it! You made me burst out laughing in a public place, and now I have to avoid eye contact. However, I would object on the grounds that Ash never closed the deal with Misty (unless you look in the dark corners of the internet).

Zen Toombs:
I'm confused about how "Kirk has no competition" is an argument for Kirk. Bond gets the girls while having actual competition - and in addition to everything else, it seems to me that Bond is truly the biggest Playa.

The argument is that Kirk can have every space-lady he chooses with little effort, because the women will not see the rest of the crew as attractive. Meanwhile, Bond has to work to steal the girls away from the villain, which means more time and effort expended per coitus. Though if you judge playas by their skill at acquiring women, rather than quantity of hook-ups, I suppose the argument works in reverse.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Dastardly:

Ow, I just got a cramp in my irony.

Read it back. Then decide.

Then ask yourself what you'd feel like if I started making 9/11 jokes.

I'm exceedingly angry at certain contributors using their taglines for posts that wouldn't be accepted as normal posts - and I'm making a point here. If you want to condemn others cultures, I believe that falls under "Don't be a jerk".

I'm certain there'll be more people rushing in to tell me I'm being one; I just want to see this recent development of "fair game for shock headlines" to stop.

If you're not able to process the fundamental difference between:

a) Poking a little fun at the enormously popular caricature of St. Patrick's day
b) Poking fun at a recent event that resulted in deaths of people a lot of us actually know in real life

...then I'm not sure if there's help for you out there.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending the tagline, nor am I saying it's okay for the vast majority of the known universe to associate St. Patrick's Day with leprechauns and beer. I'm simply saying it's not the same category of "offensive" as you keep comparing it to.

This is more like Christians complaining about how everyone makes Santa jokes around Christmas, because that's not really what Christmas is about... and then the pagans complaining that Christmas trees aren't exactly in the Bible...

Or, as mentioned earlier, it's more like someone saying, "Aw, most people just use the 4th of July as an excuse to get drunk and blow things up." They're not insulting the holiday. They're not insulting the culture. They're poking fun at the disingenuous way a lot of people "observe" the holiday.

It simply hurts your case to overstate the offense the way you're doing.

Bond is the better playa by far. With Kirk it's just implication whereas Bond goes there and does it

...but I feel Kirk should have win. I don't know why, I guess it isn't so funny calling Bond a playa, because well he is, and he's a bit of a scumbag for it. With Kirk it's more of a laugh because it's always a little ridiculous

BrotherRool:
Bond is the better playa by far. With Kirk it's just implication whereas Bond goes there and does it

...but I feel Kirk should have win. I don't know why, I guess it isn't so funny calling Bond a playa, because well he is, and he's a bit of a scumbag for it. With Kirk it's more of a laugh because it's always a little ridiculous

With Bond, since he's a secret agent, there's the fact that he isn't usually honest or open with the women. I think that's a big reason why I don't really like his romances or whatever you call them. It's been a while since I saw any of the Bond-movies, so I don't remember if it ever happened in the series, but there's sort of the feeling he would sleep with a woman to deceive them to do his job.

Kirk, on the other hand, is always himself and does it because he enjoys it, not to profit from it.

Lieju:

BrotherRool:

With Bond, since he's a secret agent, there's the fact that he isn't usually honest or open with the women. I think that's a big reason why I don't really like his romances or whatever you call them. It's been a while since I saw any of the Bond-movies, so I don't remember if it ever happened in the series, but there's sort of the feeling he would sleep with a woman to deceive them to do his job.

Kirk, on the other hand, is always himself and does it because he enjoys it, not to profit from it.

There;s something in that. In silly terms Kirk sleeps with all the women because well, when you're clearly as great as Kirk thinks he is why wouldn't you? :D

Bond on the other hand ...uses...the women more. They aren't there as mere testaments to his fabulous ego, they're there because he desires something that isn't his and takes it. In the books he always thought really horrible things too. He'd be actually sleeping someone and he'd say things like 'a womens like a view, after a while it gets boring'

Two words Will Riker. He may not have the same respect as Kirk, but he actually got with a genderless alien, (The Outcast), that is a true "Playa" and if memory serves he did in fact have more encounters with the alien women than Kirk during the run of the show. Just sayin.

The truth is that they are both huge playas. If you take the Space element out of Kirk's scenario they are basically the same. So, I think this was a worthy debate. Hard to choose between them.

I remember a SNL skit about James Bond having literally 120 or so STDs. Including about 7 found in sharks (they were pretty sure those were errors) and a couple that were exclusive to him.

its captain jack who should be the real winner

I've always felt Tiberius' sexual exploits have been wildly overrated. He spends a lot more time wandering space and being hyper humanist compared to bonin' green ladies. Bond, though? Bond bones everyone, every time he sets foot outside of the MI6 office.

The_root_of_all_evil:

St. Patrick's Day is around the corner, pretty much a holiday built around eating boiled meat and getting so drunk that Irish little people handing out gold from rainbows sounds plausible.

Wow. Just wow...

Could you be more offensive? I appreciate that maybe a joke, but if I described 4th July in a similar way, wouldn't I be outright banned?

4th of July is the day when a group of people who arrived into a continent to kill everyone in it, having succeeded, fire dangerous weaponry at random at the sky in hopes of killing anyone they might have missed, including themselves.

*waits*

The Random One:
I've always felt Tiberius' sexual exploits have been wildly overrated. He spends a lot more time wandering space and being hyper humanist compared to bonin' green ladies. Bond, though? Bond bones everyone, every time he sets foot outside of the MI6 office.

The_root_of_all_evil:

St. Patrick's Day is around the corner, pretty much a holiday built around eating boiled meat and getting so drunk that Irish little people handing out gold from rainbows sounds plausible.

Wow. Just wow...

Could you be more offensive? I appreciate that maybe a joke, but if I described 4th July in a similar way, wouldn't I be outright banned?

4th of July is the day when a group of people who arrived into a continent to kill everyone in it, having succeeded, fire dangerous weaponry at random at the sky in hopes of killing anyone they might have missed, including themselves.

*waits*

Too be fair the trend started with the british (well, really the spanish but for what we're talking about it was the british), so the anniversary of jamestown is probably more appropriate being as that is the day that the evil invaders go their first permanent foothold.

Huh... well borderline sexist topic and approach to it aside, it is interesting that the two possibilities for this one share a first name...

Zen Toombs:
I'm confused about how "Kirk has no competition" is an argument for Kirk. Bond gets the girls while having actual competition - and in addition to everything else, it seems to me that Bond is truly the biggest Playa.

DVS BSTrD:
Wait shouldn't Bond get a playa point because he DOES beat competition?

I'm going to add my voice to the crowd of people thinking Bond should've gotten that point, instead of Kirk. It's not all that difficult to score some action when everyone else in competition is undesirable, and reflects a little more on your circumstances than your prowess as a "playa." You'd think that if Bond has to go up against outstanding competition and still gets the girl, then he deserves more credit for the action he gets.

In retrospect, I've noticed a semantic discrepancy between the video title saying "Best Playa" and the video caption that plays during the intro theme saying "Biggest Playa." If you're debating which of the two is the "biggest playa" then I guess having no competition would be a point in Kirk's favor, but if it's about the "best playa" then I'd think Bond would get the point for demonstrating more skill.

[quote="N3Burgener" post="6.354366.14078807]I'm going to add my voice to the crowd of people thinking Bond should've gotten that point, instead of Kirk. It's not all that difficult to score some action when everyone else in competition is undesirable, and reflects a little more on your [i]circumstances[/i] than your prowess as a "playa." You'd think that if Bond has to go up against outstanding competition and still gets the girl, then he deserves more credit for the action he gets.

In retrospect, I've noticed a semantic discrepancy between the video title saying "Best Playa" and the video caption that plays during the intro theme saying "Biggest Playa." If you're debating which of the two is the "biggest playa" then I guess having no competition would be a point in Kirk's favor, but if it's about the "best playa" then I'd think Bond would get the point for demonstrating more skill.[/quote]

Ah, but bigger is better (so says the Bro Code), so the biggest would also be the best.

Bond is the best, and therefore the biggest.

DVS BSTrD:
Wait shouldn't Bond get a playa point because he DOES beat competition?
And didn't Spock get that Romulan Commander to defect in the Original series?

This was my point exactly. Bond is a playa because he always manages to woo teh ladies even WITH stiff competition (heheh stiff). If the intergalactic ladies want to get boned, Kirk's kind of their only option.

Commander Shepard gets nearly any race, species or gender. He can use his charm to command army's and save galaxies. I'd say he's the runaway winner here!

I'll admit the St. Patrick's Day comment was a bit out there. The celebration does originate from a religion, so people tend to get touchy when that happens.
Having said that, I doubt most of the people who "celebrate" that day do it the right way. Indeed, most of the time they just drink and drink until they puke their brains out. You can't say the same about X-mas because, while people do like to get drunk at X-mas parties, for the most part people do associate it with a more noble, so to speak, and religious cause.
This is why you should avoid talking about either religions or politics in such a way. Never leads to anything good. Just plain ol' trolling.

Back to topic...

-James Kirk is not as well known as James Bond. Ask any person down the street who James Bond is and they will all know. Ask them who James Kirk is and only half of them will know. Hell, I just found out his full name. Just now. The best playa's name is better known everywhere.

-James Bond doesn't think with his head, if you catch my drift. Think of the show Archer; all Archer wants to do is sleep with women. He's skilled and all but he doesn't care about that. That's a James Bond parody. James is good at what he does, but as soon as he sees a pair of shapely legs, the mission goes out the window and he ends up chasing after said girl...who does end up sleeping with him.

-Time/space travel allows Kirk to kinda step away from a relationship with a good excuse. James Bond doesn't need an excuse. He just plain leaves. So what if he awkwardly runs into a past lover? That just means he'll get to do it again with that person, because you know he will!

-Because James Bond has competition is what makes him an awesome playa. Bring it on, Brad Pitt. James would still steal Angelina from you.

-Because Kirk is kind of the leftovers. If James Bond and Kirk were after the same girl, in space or not, who do you think would win? Seriously, who would win? Kirk has no competition, so its kind of a lesser-of-evils situation.

-It doesn't matter if you're a playa in Tatooine or London. The one with the most ladies wins. In this case, James Bond.

Personally, I would have chosen Commander Sheppard as the intergalactic contestant. That would be an easy win.

You guys gave a point to the wrong side. Dan's "Kirk has no competition" argument is a point for Bond, not Kirk.

Think about it. Kirk arrives at the planet and the ladies say "well, he's the least bad option. It's him or nothing, I guess, might as well hit that up."

Meanwhile, with Bond, the ladies say "Well, I have this incredibly rich, successful and handsome lover who is also psychotically jealous. I could have him, but I am so drawn to James Bond that I will risk my life to be with him."

Kirk is just the only game in town, so of course the ladies come to play.

But Bond, Bond got game. Bond out plays everyone else. That's a playa.

emeraldrafael:

Too be fair the trend started with the british (well, really the spanish but for what we're talking about it was the british), so the anniversary of jamestown is probably more appropriate being as that is the day that the evil invaders go their first permanent foothold.

Ok, then. How's this. 4th of July is the day we celebrate a bunch of rich, slave owners who sent poor people off to die instead of paying sales tax.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here