Jimquisition: Jimquisition Extra: Virgillio Armarndio's Art Hole

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

1nfinite_Cros5:
Really? I thought it looked like a disembodied breast.

The player's ship, or Jim?

dohohohohohoho

Say what you will about the show, but it's made me laugh a lot more than some of the recent episodes of Zero Punctuation....

Interesting video to say the least....
You're great at changing your voice jim.

This fucking dolt clearly has no idea what he's talking about Space Invaders is a purely male affair, in fact it's about penis envy, can't you see that you blithering idiot?

I'm sure you can all agree how much the object the player controls looks like a tiny penis, and the general phallic nature of the enemies and their size in comparison shows how the man with the tiny cock is segregated in society by those of a bigger size than him. So he lashes out, breaking down the barriers (or shields if you will) to win back his freedom and pride, this is why shooting through your own defences works so well, it's not just a game strategy, it's symbolic of breaking down societal barriers. What idiot couldn't see that?!

seriously though, funny stuff Jim

That strangely actually makes sense...

Oh, and this will definitely dispell the accusations you're a misogynist :P

MonkeyPunch:

SteelStallion:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3285-Defending-Call-of-Duty

Yeah okay.

You do realise that you're linking an Episode to the creator of said episode :D

Too funny that Jim actually got a warning (or maybe it's all part of the show?!)... I'd say that he was responding in character. Like the guy he's playing in the video for what I'm commenting on.

I'm not sure that Jimothy Sterling is Jim Sterling.

flaviok79:
Another WTF moment in Jimquisition's short history.

It's been going on for quite a while actually, there are some episodes from 2010

billy-j:
This fucking dolt clearly has no idea what he's talking about Space Invaders is a purely male affair, in fact it's about penis envy, can't you see that you blithering idiot?

I'm sure you can all agree how much the object the player controls looks like a tiny penis, and the general phallic nature of the enemies and their size in comparison shows how the man with the tiny cock is segregated in society by those of a bigger size than him. So he lashes out, breaking down the barriers (or shields if you will) to win back his freedom and pride, this is why shooting through your own defences works so well, it's not just a game strategy, it's symbolic of breaking down societal barriers. What idiot couldn't see that?!

seriously though, funny stuff Jim

Haha, you're obviously new to this criticism game. Why don't you sit back whilst I provide the real interpretation of the game.

The player character resembles, more than anything else, an arrow or pointer. As we are all aware, an arrow implies direction, and direction represents ambition. Therefore, the fact that the player character can only move side to side, instead of the desired, forward direction, suggests impotence and a failure to meet expectations. Meanwhile, the obstacles are quite clearly references to the figures as depicted in ancient Mesopotamian glpyhs. The fact that this is not immediately obvious to most modern critics, goes to show the degree to which the standards of modern scholarship have deteriorated. As to what these glyphs represent, I'll leave it to you to work out something so apparent for yourself. Any true academic should be able to infer their meaning immediately.

Not sure if my laughter came from genuine mirth or, mortal fear. One or the other assuming they're different anyway. That was a nice extra helping on Jim on an otherwise boring day of the week.

well... that was disturbing...

Nope. I didn't like this episode at all. Gosh, Jim's delivery just really irks me sometimes.

Hmm...yes, while space invaders was certainly more sophisticated than the droll works surrounding it, it failed to convey a message not everyone knew about, and it's not art if you're just rehashing someone else's point.

You know what is art? Super Mario, that's what. In Super Mario, you Run and jump on various creatures, as well as smash blocks, on your way through around 20 courses all to defeat A vaguely villainous threat, only then do you learn that the blocks you shattered on the way through were actually people, and that your intervention was nothing but destructive. ( the princess restores the people while still in the dungeon)

Also of note is that the only source of power are flowers and mushrooms, both plants that can be dangerous narcotics, to symbolize the delusion that comes with power.

As well, the fact that you are only able to destroy the blocks after you have eaten a mushroom, or during the time when you can defend yourself, implying that the very act of gaining power is destructive to those around you.

ultimately, Super Mario drives home a point about the futility of intervention, showing that men can do nothing but bring suffering to others.

In comparison to this, space invaders has all the depth of a parlor trick.

seriously now, though, too many people fail to see that sometimes a cigar is really just a cigar, and Jim was merely making a parody of this personality type, it was a bit heavy handed though.

That Virgillio guy looked a hell of a lot like Jim, I wonder if there's some sort of family connection?

No white lipstick this time? I don't know why, but the white lipstick made that hat much more hilarious in the Defending Call of Duty episode.

that was just... stupid :/

Was Jim abused by art school students when he was a wee laddie?

I wish he had better arguments then, "Screw you I am right."

Because I have enjoyed some of Jim's earlier work, I will refuse to believe this was an attempt to mock Extra Credits. I will chose to believe instead that Jim has far more class than that and this was a weird attempt to mock generic, pretentious wanna-bees.

Got 40 seconds in (with most of that being the intro music) and had to stop the video.

You want to make a point, make a point, Jim. We're all behind you when you do. But there's a reason people can't stand smug assholes for longer than 5 minutes a week.

Cenobite85:
...I went to art school. Was it wrong that I enjoyed this episode so much?

I am in art school majoring in E-deida and the associate degree of arts is a bachorlor off attendance. My degree hpwever is ball bustingly hard, I am required to shoot 1hours of premium footage a week and texture Maya models wiith my own textures.

Honestly, the comments in response to this video that are trying to jab at Extra Credits are funnier than Jim's foray into trying-to-be-a-different-character-and-still-sounding-completely-like-Jim-Sterling-anyway (really, raising your voice a little but keeping identical speech patterns and mannerisms...it change much of anything). Not because they're true - just the opposite, it's funnier because they're trying so hard to be down on EC yet only succeed in demonstrating their utter inability to grasp the concepts of analysis and critical thinking, thereby equating any example of such with satire of the worst kinds of pseudo-critical art "interpretation" since it all sounds the same to them.

It's hilarious. And depressing. At the same time.

Edit: Realized it'd benefit from a little clarification.

DVS BSTrD:
I prefer to view the player character ass a boob, who uses squirts of milk to pacify the infantile state of the male brain. And the bases are in fact actual bases but in the American baseball tradition rather that actual military fortifications. It's a play on the the common slang of "reaching bases": Once the male aggressor has gotten past all four the woman is effectively subdued, and the 'conquest' has ended.

Vault Citizen:
@00:35 - I'm scared.

@01:29 - Does this remind anyone else of the time Extra Creditz tried to tell us that there was some deep meaning behind some very old arcade game with a red dot and (I think it was) missiles?

Missile command, except in that case it was actually true, cold war fears and all that.

This is, while something i'd typically take offense to, followed by a lengthy rant, pretty awesome. Better in fact, than the theory presented in this video. Which itself is rather exquisite.

Sorry to the other quote-ey, dunno how to get rid of your portion.

can't..get..beyond..how..fucking..annoying..he..is

You know what Jim?

I think you're my favourite video contributer on the escapist now.

I know, I know, it's a great honour.

You're welcome.

I would appreciate his criticism of the "games are art" movement if he would ever actually talk about where he stands on it. He's said he understands the potential of video games as an art form, but all I ever see from him is stupid, sensationalist crap like this making anyone who claims to find artistic depth in the medium out to be pretentious, know-it-all morons. As it stands, he's never managed to go anywhere on my list other than "that really annoying guy with a lot of really bad ideas and the occasional brilliant one." Stuff like this is why.

Goremocker:

draythefingerless:

FelixG:

Haha, of course its rude! Bit still a joke, as extra credits drips with pretentiousness more often than not.

pretentiousness- an exaggerated sense of one's importance that shows itself in the making of excessive or unjustified claims.

they do dabble a lot into going for more complex n deeper meanings and analyzing excrutinely their topics, but i never got them as having a sense of exagerated self importance. they seemed humble enough, while just stating an opinion. maybe you meant sth else?

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself. Taking something seriously is a far cry from being pretentious for the sake of it.

This is the internet. Someone/something will be labelled pretentious by people who get phased by long words. Or who fail to see the point behind something. Or, more usually, simply find something boring.

I never thought EC was pretentious and I was sad when it got removed from the Escapist (Apparently due to them not being paid or something, Dunno). It was one of my favourite shows, up there with ZP easily.

OT:

I laughed. Well, I found it vaguely amusing. I did not actually laugh. Not his best. Although he makes a fair point. Looking for artistic meaning when there is none is pointless. And it makes you a douchebag. Pointing out that games having multiple levels of meaning and whatnot is good though. And they are not one and the same.

Would be like me going on at length about the modernization aspects of Red Dead Redemption, from your surroundings to weapons, throughout the game and its undertones of racism, revenge, extinction, guilt... Yeah. All that blatant stuff. Anyone can point that out and have discussions about that.

Its when someone stands up to say "PONG IS ABOUT THE FUTILITY OF LIFE" or something, well, that is when you load your rifle.

That said...

You can take the music and concept of a classic game and turn it into a humourous history lesson! But you CANNOT claim that the message of the actual game is the futility of work.

Man, its late, Imma stop ranting.

I whole-heartedly endorse an 80's arcade exhibit in the Metropolitan Museum of Modern are as this cannot possibly be the only depiction of white male oppression over various cultures and genders.

Donkey Kong, Frogger, Battlezone, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, Missile Command, Tron, OMG even Breakout... it all makes sense now. Thank you, thank you for opening my eyes to a whole new perspective!

this is pretty funny, but would be 1000*10^8 times funnier if i had the link to the original series this was based off of. Or reason, which ever comes first.

Thaius:
I would appreciate his criticism of the "games are art" movement if he would ever actually talk about where he stands on it. He's said he understands the potential of video games as an art form, but all I ever see from him is stupid, sensationalist crap like this making anyone who claims to find artistic depth in the medium out to be pretentious, know-it-all morons. As it stands, he's never managed to go anywhere on my list other than "that really annoying guy with a lot of really bad ideas and the occasional brilliant one." Stuff like this is why.

Well as a chemistry major at my university I can sympathize with Jim in that he views all the "fine arts" people as pretentious. Its hard to argue after a few short conversations with the types. They genuinely think you are simply a nerd who has no life and would rather do math then be a human being. At least that's my experience with fine art majors. Then again the regard I hold them with is not much dissimilar then with which they regard me. But I get a job out of college :).

Unrelated note,

Solve media is showing advertisements? For shame...........

Darknacht:

MonkeyPunch:

SteelStallion:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3285-Defending-Call-of-Duty

Yeah okay.

You do realise that you're linking an Episode to the creator of said episode :D

Too funny that Jim actually got a warning (or maybe it's all part of the show?!)... I'd say that he was responding in character. Like the guy he's playing in the video for what I'm commenting on.

I'm not sure that Jimothy Sterling is Jim Sterling.

Those two accounts are the same. I don't know why he doesn't use his contributor account like MovieBob (probably forgot the password, considering it was made well before he started the Jimquisition due to one article he wrote), but they are the same. (Hell, Jim's referenced his love of the Aliens franchise before, and Jimothy's avatar is a xenomorph... put 2 and 2 together.)

I'm doing a bachelor of games design, and we dabble in some of this sort of stuff.

Except not quite to this silly extent of course. XD

For anyone interested, space invaders was capitalising on the popularity of space as a theme, very common for the time.
They took the idea from Break Out, but made the blocks into little aliens that moved closer to you and shot back.
Of course with space invaders you don't actually look for a 'statement' it was trying to make... unless you count 'give us your coins' :P

Er... huh.

Did someone, perchance, accuse Jim of over-analysis or excessive intellectualizing of video games as a medium, and this is the "No, this is what florid intellectual over-analysis would look like" response?

AAAAAAAAND you've lost me again.

When I first started watching Jim it was a struggle to get behind his sense of humor. He tidied things up, stopped using his own art as much, and settled into an enjoyable persona. He and I had a good thing going.

This just throws me. I understand what he was doing and why, but it just didn't humor me. Perhaps I feel he performs this character poorly in general.

Anyway, I will look forward to seeing what happens next week.

Jim, how do you manage to act like that without the urge of drinking cyanide while dropping the toaster into the bathtub? I couldn't have done half the impression without beginning to vomit uncontrollably.

Seriously? What the flip is this shlock? If the purpose of this video was to further enforce how far Jim Sterling is up his own ass, then well done, mission accomplished. Why this man is given a forum here to spout his garbage, I don't understand. I guess his fee must be cheap.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here