Escape to the Movies: Casa De Mi Padre

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Casa De Mi Padre

Esta semana, Bob de las peliculas no necesita saber hablar ingles!

Watch Video

I would probably be much more receptive to this movie if I didn't have multiple bad experiences with Will Ferrell and other recent SNL alumni in movies.

hehe borderline offensive. Never seen a Spanish soap opera (at least, never all the way through an episode) but if they're anything like the clip I saw on the Daily Show, I might.

Clarie isn't the only one with Spanish powers. Friggen Bubbles From PowerPuff Girls had Spanish as a super power as well, though given PPG's parodyish nature, this makes much more sense in context.

O.T: I...haven't even heard of this movie before, though I'd probably like it if I saw it

Hadn't heard of this movie before now, and now all I wanna do is go.

I'll pass on this. Not a fan of Will Ferrel.

I was going to say I assume you don't have to be familiar with Latin soap operas to get the humor of this movie since, if Bob doesn't have time to keep up with current TV shows, he certainly doesn't have time to get into a niche genre of television. But then he said that stuff about how easy it is to tell that the movie is an affectionate parody, and it sounded like he's intimately familiar with the source material after all. So, not sure what to think there.

That's quite a long winded way of saying that it's another damn Will Ferrel movie. I'm really tired of him and that ambulatory tumor doing the exact same thing in every single movie.

I think Bob's cheese is slipping off the cracker.

When I hear there's a NEW Will Ferrell movie I do basically what everyone else does... I roll my eyes, make a crass comment and look for a GOOD movie to watch.

***BTW***

The reason why Clare speaking Spanish was treated like a superpower is because most of (white) America (then as well as now) believes that if you live HERE, you MUST speak ENGLISH!!!

To do more than that is considered alien.

It's not smart or correct but it one of those things that makes America the the kind of country that it is.

But...but

But...

I...

But...

It's Will Ferrell.

21 Jump Street was funny? Really... I mean... the previews looked horrible. Really really really horrible. I'm also not a fan of Will Ferrel, but after he did Stranger than Fiction, I'm always willing to give his movies a chance, because he really showed his acting chops, unlike other comedians in other drama movies *cough*Adam Sandler*

I have no idea why people hate on Will Ferrell, there is a reason we all quoted him in high school. Anyhow, as someone who is familiar with Spanish Soaps (if only indirectly as all my little cousins are into them), I think im going to find this hilarious.
For a wonderful parody of American soaps I seriously suggest watching Horrible People (http://www.mydamnchannel.com/Horrible_People/Season_1/Episode1_533.aspx). Its a serial webshow and its a killer :)

It's interesting that you say 21 Jump Street is funny in the ending credits, because the advert for it before the show made me never, ever want to see it ever.

Well, at least it is kind of bob to recognize that his comedic sensibilities are compromised! Though I have to say I particularly liked the references to other things that would give you a good idea on the kind of comedy this hits on.

With that being said, looks like one for netflix

Diego. Luna.

It never occur to me to question your taste in humour in this video seeing how I love Will Ferrel so this is a film I would watch if I going to the cinema soon if it's out in the UK. Also as again I never heard of this movie until now (I really need to keep track of this type of stuff).

Man when I heard about this I do the same thing everyone else did. Look for a good movie. OHWAIT! I didn't because I love his films. Sure there have been a few that were meh, but I love everyone on here saying EVERYONE hates Will Ferrell. I have been following this movie for a bit now and can't wait to see it tomorrow night.

I did really like Anchor Man so this seems right up my alley. Also people it's OK to like Will Ferrel. He hasn't gone the Dane Cook, Adam Sandler, or Jim Carrey route yet.

I dunno Bob, Black Dynamite was pretty dammed funny. If it can live up to that then i guess it might be worth seeing.

Edit; "Dy-no-mite! Dy-no-mite!"

Robert632:
Clarie isn't the only one with Spanish powers. Friggen Bubbles From PowerPuff Girls had Spanish as a super power as well, though given PPG's parodyish nature, this makes much more sense in context.

O.T: I...haven't even heard of this movie before, though I'd probably like it if I saw it

Lol. I thought I would be the only person in the world that still remembered that piece of trivia. Kudos to you.

I've been looking forward to this one since the new years article/video. Sadly, it's not playing near me. Maybe I'll have more luck later this week.

Revolutionaryloser:

Robert632:

Lol. I thought I would be the only person in the world that still remembered that piece of trivia. Kudos to you.

Heh, I still remember that Buttercups special power was curling her tongue, and that vegetables from space once attacked them, so I still have some knowledge of the show.

I was questioning your sense of humor when you defended exactly WHY we stopped finding Simpsons funny while declaring you still found it funny despite everything you admitted about it that had changed.

While I like the idea of this movie (and Bobs reccomendation), I just cant bring myself to waste another 7/10 on Will Ferrell, so many times I've sat there in his films and seriously pondered what else I could be doing with my time.

See: stepbrothers, blades of glory, the other guys, talladega nights, I just dont have the will anymore..........(lol?)

Scrumpmonkey:
I dunno Bob, Black Dynamite was pretty dammed funny. If it can live up to that then i guess it might be worth seeing.

"Fiendish Dr. Wu! Your skill at biological transmographication is matched only by your propensity for kung-fu treachery!"

What a great movie.

This sounds like a movie that might be funny. Comparing it to Kung Po enter the fist is a compliment although i'm not sure that movie holds up today. I was still at a time when poop jokes could get me to laugh.

Revolutionaryloser:

Robert632:

She can speak to animals too!
And in one episode, she managed to combine the powers when speaking with a giant, flaming, spanish-speaking squirrel.
In fact, this seems to happen more than once, since the mayor comments "Oh no! Not ANOTHER giant, flaming, spanish-speaking squirrel!"

I'm glad everyone hates Will Ferrel/Ferral, because this movie stars Will Ferrell, who is fucking hilarious. Anchorman, Taladega Nights, Elf, and his portrayal of musical legends are some of the hallmarks of the comedy genre. And that's not my opinion. He is actually the most successful male comedian of the last 15 years. Not to mention the most quoted.

Robert Goulet (Coconut Bangers Ball)
George Bush (America's War on Math and numbers)
Blue Oyster Cult (I gotta have more cowbell!)
Harry Caray (IF you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?)
NEIL DIAMOND "You bet your balls it's Neil Diamond..."

So in closing, please go back to your raybans, and your "hipster" comedy. If you hate Will, that's great, no one cares, because we are into laughing, not just sitting on internet forums bringing everyone down.

Falseprophet:

Scrumpmonkey:

"Fiendish Dr. Wu! Your skill at biological transmographication is matched only by your propensity for kung-fu treachery!"

What a great movie.

"Shh. Mama, you're gonna wake up the rest of the bitches"#

More people need to see that movie. Much more people.

Two weeks in a row with will ferrel?
Lets go for three weeks in a row?

misterprickly:

The reason why Clare speaking Spanish was treated like a superpower is because most of (white) America (then as well as now) believes that if you live HERE, you MUST speak ENGLISH!!!

To do more than that is considered alien.

It's not smart or correct but it one of those things that makes America the the kind of country that it is.

I guess its kinda like if you went to a 100% speaking French society and started to speak English, most likely people around you wouldn't understand quite as well. With us were getting so many south-of-the-border visitors, legal or not. That speak Spanish with a person who can speak English so they can live easier, which is a great way of getting past that barrier of language, get a spokesman. Were starting to transition into a society where the above is more acceptable and way more common then it was say 200 years ago.

I'm not trying to argue with you in the slightest. I think you said something interesting and that I would tell what I thought of it in whole like I'm vomiting kitty cats or rainbows when I see something adorable.

I'll make sure to check it out, since I do happen to love Kung-Pao, I hope I spelled that right.

Bradeck:
I'm glad everyone hates Will Ferrel/Ferral, because this movie stars Will Ferrell, who is fucking hilarious. Anchorman, Taladega Nights, Elf, and his portrayal of musical legends are some of the hallmarks of the comedy genre. And that's not my opinion. He is actually the most successful male comedian of the last 15 years. Not to mention the most quoted.

Robert Goulet (Coconut Bangers Ball)
George Bush (America's War on Math and numbers)
Blue Oyster Cult (I gotta have more cowbell!)
Harry Caray (IF you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?)
NEIL DIAMOND "You bet your balls it's Neil Diamond..."

So in closing, please go back to your raybans, and your "hipster" comedy. If you hate Will, that's great, no one cares, because we are into laughing, not just sitting on internet forums bringing everyone down.

Just everyone remember comedy is subjective so it isn't just purely because their hipsters as it is their own opinion.

2 things. 1 I no longer think of Will Farrel as funny and 2 Black Dynamite is the most underrated black comedy ever made.
Edit:
Also 21 Jump Street is a no no for me...Jonah Hill.

MovieBob, allow me to narrate your life.

Go see a movie. (Como El Jefe)

Movie's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Make a review. (Como El Jefe)

Closing line's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Description's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Reading this comment. (Como El Jefe)

The meme's in Spanish! (Como El Jefe)

Steve the Pocket:
I was going to say I assume you don't have to be familiar with Latin soap operas to get the humor of this movie since, if Bob doesn't have time to keep up with current TV shows, he certainly doesn't have time to get into a niche genre of television. But then he said that stuff about how easy it is to tell that the movie is an affectionate parody, and it sounded like he's intimately familiar with the source material after all. So, not sure what to think there.

All Mexican soap operas do is follow what normal soap operas do. Except a lot of times someone dies.

basically:

1. A love triangle forms, usually involving a Catholic priest in some way.

2. Someone gets sick, goes to a Mexican hospital and dies (big surprise there. /sarcasm).

3. The surviving cast go off, have a shit load of kids, and live happily ever after.

Mexican soap operas are probably the only place where Catholic priests are shown to be young bachelors with multiple love interests.

Novellas are hilariously predictable, more so than American films. Its the same reason most of them never last longer than 2-3 seasons. You don't even need to watch a whole novella to learn the tropes.

I'm sorry Moviebob. You just said the 21 Jump Street remake was funny. That makes all your movie criticisms suspect. It is a piece of garbage, and I was hoping that either Johnny Depp or Richard Grieco would pop up and bitch-slap Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum for doing that film.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)