Escape to the Movies: Casa De Mi Padre

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

As a mexican who's entire family (with the exception of my married sister and my disabled sister who also doesn't like novelas [with one L]) watch these stupid novelas (again, with one L), I really, really hate these pieces of turd.

Considering I hate them and I'm a big fan of Diego Luna (not much of Gael García), this is a serious "must watch" candidate for me.
I'll try to drag my sisters, so I can laugh at the movie and at them :P

Is that Xuxa I see in the beginning of this video?

My sister used to like her a lot when she was a kid, I didn't, for release until my teens where I began to pay proper tributes to her... If you know what I mean.

About the movie... Didn't watch nor that I ever intend to... But if passes on TV or gets on Netflix some day I may give a try

That was basically all the information I needed to know. Thanks, Bob!

Unfortunately this movie isn't in my area (though it would indeed receive first viewing due to its insanity and awesomeness) and as a result I will take your recommendation of 21 Jump Street.

Wait...

Bob thought that Kung-Pow was funny? Hmm...
I did indeed think that it was funny when I watched it in my teens, but now that I am edging on 30 I found its about as funny as having a stroke. Did I lose my sense of humour? Nah, I just found gags about breasts and cows hilarious when I was 18, whereas now I find them a little dull.

I'm guessing that Bob and I are roughly the same age, so I would question whether he would find it funny if he watched it again now.

Aprilgold:

misterprickly:

The reason why Clare speaking Spanish was treated like a superpower is because most of (white) America (then as well as now) believes that if you live HERE, you MUST speak ENGLISH!!!

To do more than that is considered alien.

It's not smart or correct but it one of those things that makes America the the kind of country that it is.

I guess its kinda like if you went to a 100% speaking French society and started to speak English, most likely people around you wouldn't understand quite as well. With us were getting so many south-of-the-border visitors, legal or not. That speak Spanish with a person who can speak English so they can live easier, which is a great way of getting past that barrier of language, get a spokesman. Were starting to transition into a society where the above is more acceptable and way more common then it was say 200 years ago.

I'm not trying to argue with you in the slightest. I think you said something interesting and that I would tell what I thought of it in whole like I'm vomiting kitty cats or rainbows when I see something adorable.

I'll make sure to check it out, since I do happen to love Kung-Pao, I hope I spelled that right.

Bradeck:
I'm glad everyone hates Will Ferrel/Ferral, because this movie stars Will Ferrell, who is fucking hilarious. Anchorman, Taladega Nights, Elf, and his portrayal of musical legends are some of the hallmarks of the comedy genre. And that's not my opinion. He is actually the most successful male comedian of the last 15 years. Not to mention the most quoted.

Robert Goulet (Coconut Bangers Ball)
George Bush (America's War on Math and numbers)
Blue Oyster Cult (I gotta have more cowbell!)
Harry Caray (IF you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?)
NEIL DIAMOND "You bet your balls it's Neil Diamond..."

So in closing, please go back to your raybans, and your "hipster" comedy. If you hate Will, that's great, no one cares, because we are into laughing, not just sitting on internet forums bringing everyone down.

Just everyone remember comedy is subjective so it isn't just purely because their hipsters as it is their own opinion.

Yes, I agree, but when a person comes on to a forum, SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of putting down something that has the inherent purpose of making joy in others, then they become hipsters.

Oh, you like Ice cream? I think it sucks.

You like art? I find it boring.

Fancy sex do you? I hate it because I think exchanging fluids is gross.

This kind of forum inhabitant lives to express their displeasure with anything popular, because they don't find enjoyment from it? Why waste the time? Is your need to express dissatisfaction so great, that you have to openly scorn the satisfaction and happiness that others feel? (Not you, but people who do so in general)

I hate hipsters.

CD-R:
I did really like Anchor Man so this seems right up my alley. Also people it's OK to like Will Ferrel. He hasn't gone the Dane Cook, Adam Sandler, or Jim Carrey route yet.

Wait? The internet hive mind hates Jim Carrey?

I must have missed the boat on that one.

Never got the Dane Cook thing either, but I'm not big on acting like I have posh sensibilities.

Li Mu:
Wait...

Bob thought that Kung-Pow was funny? Hmm...
I did indeed think that it was funny when I watched it in my teens, but now that I am edging on 30 I found its about as funny as having a stroke. Did I lose my sense of humour? Nah, I just found gags about breasts and cows hilarious when I was 18, whereas now I find them a little dull.

I'm guessing that Bob and I are roughly the same age, so I would question whether he would find it funny if he watched it again now.

You are literally the first person I've ever heard say anything but high praise for Kung Pow.

Escapist really is a melting pot haha.

I hope Moviebob doesn't do this in every review now. Where he feels obligated to vindicate himself for liking a certain movie.

I like Will Ferrell. While he has done quite a few movies that weren't good, makes a lot of cameos, and almost always plays the absurdly stupid character... he's a good actor in my opinion. I thought The Other Guys was good. He was good in Old School. And he was amazing in Stranger Then Fiction. It's just too bad he's really type-cast so much. It seems like his career won't allow for anything but stupid, silly characters.

The Thinker:
MovieBob, allow me to narrate your life.

Go see a movie. (Como El Jefe)

Movie's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Make a review. (Como El Jefe)

Closing line's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Description's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Reading this comment. (Como El Jefe)

The meme's in Spanish! (Como El Jefe)

No hablo Español bueno, pero he leido muy bien el Español, y JAJAJA.

I saw 21 Jump Street in an advanced screening the other day. Despite hating anything with a high school party in it and Jonah Hill in general, I still managed to get more laughs than I was expecting. It's still a remake of an 80s show however, and that leaves a big blemish on its record.

I for one didn't discredit you when you said you liked Tim and Eric. You explained yourself and why the two are funny in one of the best explanations "why" something is funny without outright saying what the jokes are.

I still don't like Tim and Eric, but now I understand why people do.

Now that that's said, I gotta go see CASA. It looks good.

I have to confess, I don't really "get" most of what passes for humor these days. I never understood how popular entertainment icons like Will Ferrell, Napoleon Dynamite and the later episodes of the Simpsons were funny.

And as far as 21 Jump Street goes, I know Hollywood is probably the worse practitioner nostalgic necromancy around but isn't this just scraping the bottom of the barrel. I mean the show has been off the air since 1991, isn't it at least two decades too late to be making a parody?

next you'll be telling us to just swallow 'white chicks' as funny...

krellen:

The Thinker:
MovieBob, allow me to narrate your life.

Go see a movie. (Como El Jefe)

Movie's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Make a review. (Como El Jefe)

Closing line's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Description's in Spanish. (Como El Jefe)

Reading this comment. (Como El Jefe)

The meme's in Spanish! (Como El Jefe)

No hablo Español bueno, pero he leido muy bien el Español, y JAJAJA.

Gracias.

I only know a little bit of Spanish, but, gosh darn it, I'm going to use what little I do know to make jokes.

And I officially stopped believing in MovieBob entirely.
You lost a viewer. :V

i dont know...im sure it may be funny, but will's best roll was in a drama, not a comedy (stranger than fiction). and im still perplexed over your last comedy review as i saw tim and eric's movie.....and it was horse shit.

I'm not sure about this on the other hand Gael Garcia and Diego Luna don't take any projects.

I find it hilarious and ironic that in Anchor Man, Will had a line whenever somebody said something really important and meanful he turned to them and say "I'm sorry, were you saying something? Look, I don't speak spanish..." and then there's this movie..

OT: Really? I've been let down by almost every movie since Anchor Man (well, The Other Guys wasn't BAD, it had it's parts). I might see it. I'm just afraid I'll need to wash out the terribly awful with a horrificly awesome Steven Segal-a-thon, that's a lot of time out of my day

Did you say Casa was more unique than 21 jump street? I'm sorry but with the exception of the fantastically awesome stranger than fiction, Will Ferrell has been essentially remaking the same goddamn movie for like the last 15 years. This is a Will Ferrell movie, or more accurately a Will Ferrell Comedy. And a couple of twists and turns aside i have every expectation that it's a [anchorman/blades of Glory/Semi-pro/that other one/that other other one/i thinks there's even another one] retread only this time it's ranchers in Spanish.

I'm sorry, i don't call that unique.

Although 21 jump street isn't unique either being a remake of a TV show from the 80s which seems to be thing these days. So all in all nothing unique this week.

Awesome!

I am one of the VERY few who love Will Ferral and now I desperately want to see this.

I am also quite pleased to hear that 21 Jump Street is good. The idea sounded fun and after Jonah Hill's recent metamorphosis from a walking fat joke to a credible actor,he just makes things better now.

A lot of these people are saying things like "You've lost a viewer!" or "You aren't credible anymore!", but as for me, well I think you have GAINED credibility!

Cheers!

Scrumpmonkey:

Falseprophet:

Scrumpmonkey:
I dunno Bob, Black Dynamite was pretty dammed funny. If it can live up to that then i guess it might be worth seeing.

Edit; "Dy-no-mite! Dy-no-mite!"

"Fiendish Dr. Wu! Your skill at biological transmographication is matched only by your propensity for kung-fu treachery!"

What a great movie.

"Shh. Mama, you're gonna wake up the rest of the bitches"#

More people need to see that movie. Much more people.

"But Black Dynamite... I sell drugs to the community!" Also all scenes with Bullhorn and Creamed Corn

Awesome, Awesome film

Pipotchi:

Scrumpmonkey:

Falseprophet:

"Fiendish Dr. Wu! Your skill at biological transmographication is matched only by your propensity for kung-fu treachery!"

What a great movie.

"Shh. Mama, you're gonna wake up the rest of the bitches"#

More people need to see that movie. Much more people.

"But Black Dynamite... I sell drugs to the community!" Also all scenes with Bullhorn and Creamed Corn

Awesome, Awesome film

Sarcastically I agree with you.

Having Will Ferrel playing a moronic man-child was fresh and interesting in Anchor Man but the joke got stale after doing it again in other movies. These types of characters tend to work better as side characters than as the main protagonist.

I can understand Bob's argument about this movie seeking to make an affectionate parody. Unfortunately, it sounds like Will Ferrel's character is the same buffoon he always plays. That is a problem when it doesn't blend seamlessly into the tropes of your typical telenovela protagonist.

The TV show Ugly Betty played an important role in exposing Americans to this type of storytelling. This makes a movie like this possible but there is still one big hurdle to overcome. Many people do not like reading subtitles. As a movie critic, Bob is comfortable with it but the general public isn't. That is why there is still a demand for dubbing in anime.

The only movie with Will Ferrell that made me laugh was Elf, granted I think that's the only comedy with Will Ferrell I've seen if you don't count Celebrity Jeopardy.

Also, Kung Pow made me giggle at times, but its comedy is so incredibly stupid, that it made my group of friends and I (who love stupid comedy) shake our heads in disbelief at how stupid it was.

Wow, I didn't expect Bob to review this movie, but either way this is great.

Clair could speak Spanish because her actress Phylicia Rashād could speak Spanish. And they really only made a sorta deal about it in the first season or so before they dropped it. Can only get so many "I think my wife is smarter than me and talking behind my back" stuff out of that.

JaredXE:
I'm sorry Moviebob. You just said the 21 Jump Street remake was funny. That makes all your movie criticisms suspect. It is a piece of garbage, and I was hoping that either Johnny Depp or Richard Grieco would pop up and bitch-slap Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum for doing that film.

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!

Criticism is one's opinion, and no opinion is any more right or wrong than any other.

JaredXE:
I'm sorry Moviebob. You just said the 21 Jump Street remake was funny. That makes all your movie criticisms suspect. It is a piece of garbage, and I was hoping that either Johnny Depp or Richard Grieco would pop up and bitch-slap Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum for doing that film.

Care to elaborate on your particular taste in comedy? Maybe a top 3 or 5 of your all time favorites.

canadamus_prime:
I'll pass on this. Not a fan of Will Ferrel.

Yeah, takes corny to a whole new sub-level.

Captcha/Solvemedia: cole slaw
- Isn't that one word?

Thank god, the comments have alleviated my concern that I might be going insane for finding movies like 21 Jump Street and Pretty Much Anything Starring Will Ferrell to be vapid, predictable and (in large part due to that predictability killing any jokes before they even happen on screen) unfunny.

I was honestly worried I might have been pulled into some alternate universe in which Will Ferrell is a good actor for a minute there.

So, judging by your "this movie is good like" examples...steer the hell away from this one? The examples you gave as equals of comedy were awful, with one in that "so bad it's good to watch as a drinking game" kind of awful.

Which Will Ferrell is this like? Are we talking the comedy gold of SNL, Anchorman, Old School, things like that? Or are we talking Semi Pro? Or something neutral, with good jokes but an insufferable acting set, like Elf?

Wait... didn't Bob just go on a rant regarding the historics being racism? And now he's openly supporting a white washed movie?

So it's only OK if it works? Not impressed. Not impressed at all.

Will Ferrel isn't funny he's just annoying. The ONLY good movies he did were Old School and The Other guys but that's mostly because Will Ferrel being an idiot wasn't the ONLY joke.

Robert632:

Revolutionaryloser:

Robert632:
Clarie isn't the only one with Spanish powers. Friggen Bubbles From PowerPuff Girls had Spanish as a super power as well, though given PPG's parodyish nature, this makes much more sense in context.

O.T: I...haven't even heard of this movie before, though I'd probably like it if I saw it

Lol. I thought I would be the only person in the world that still remembered that piece of trivia. Kudos to you.

Heh, I still remember that Buttercups special power was curling her tongue, and that vegetables from space once attacked them, so I still have some knowledge of the show.

In the spanish translation, she speaks english!

Huh, seeing as I really don't like those "telenovelas" I'm gonna give it a go (if they release it here). Anything that makes fun of those are fine to me!

(Fun fact: most romanian girls I've known can speak spanish. Why? Because "telenovelas" are a big thing there. Go figure)

Sorry, Bob. I can't say that I like Will Ferrel enough to go watch this movie. I don't really have any strong feelings one way or the other on him, really. He's kinda hit and miss for me. Plus this movie seems... questionable. I might go see it, but I probably won't unless I have a reason to.

He was great on SNL, though.

General Vengeance:
I hope Moviebob doesn't do this in every review now. Where he feels obligated to vindicate himself for liking a certain movie.

Pretty sure it was just because last time he reviewed a comedy he admitted to really liking Tim and Eric. Seems there isn't much love for those guys here, so it didn't endear his review to too many people. I admit I am no fan of theirs and no amount of praise would make me feel compelled to watch anything they do, but I don't think it hurts Bob's credibility.

I just found it funny that he referenced it. Kinda proves he does read comments.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here