The Big Picture: Found in Translation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Ah, now I can own yet another cartoon from my childhood and relive some nostalgia.

Jman1236:
Bob NO! Trust me, you don't want to disturb the hornets nest that is the anime otaku fanbase by basing Inuyasha.

Seconded. This way lies madness and flamewars the likes of which will make Hiroshima look like a firecracker.

Originally, I had NO idea the entire Samurai Pizza Cat series was one big parody of itself. Though now that I think about it...that does make sense.

Never saw the show before. I've heard of it but evidently it was never leased to air on YTV in Canada. They were to busy airing Pokemon and Reboot I guess. (I love those two shows).

Someone needs to abridge this abridged series. Would most likely wind up being even more awesome.

I think I'm glad I never watched Inuyasha, being "anime otaku", If I liked it I'd probably rage lol.

But if I haven't watched, it means it ain't much good since I've already watched almost every anime worth watching.

OH!! for those interested, i feel the need to mention that there IS an game for the NES made based on this show, it was never released in the US, but it exists, and i've played it.

its pretty good, and ALL 7 Pizza cats are playable

also, because this is a day i though would not come
a pic of Polly :D

DVS BSTrD:
That was a very informative episode Bob,
I never knew Inuyasha had a script.

Just because I'm morbidly curious, and never saw the show; what was so bad about it that Bob thinks it would've been improved by losing the script?

"..what else would be better if they had just lost the script."
Harsh, Bob.

Anoni Mus:
I think I'm glad I never watched Inuyasha, being "anime otaku", If I liked it I'd probably rage lol.

But if I haven't watched, it means it ain't much good since I've already watched almost every anime worth watching.

Doh ho ho! Smug Alert.

Prediction: People are going to lose their #$^& over that Inuasha joke...

OT: I can see that similarity to Animaniacs, although I have to say that I can also see why Animaniacs only works because of the good voice acting and many characters to keep things interesting.

Mangod:

DVS BSTrD:

Just because I'm morbidly curious, and never saw the show; what was so bad about it that Bob thinks it would've been improved by losing the script?

Oh, i wasn't really that bad. But... well, at some point someone said Inu Yasha was kinda like an anime version of Twilight. Now, again, it's not _that_ bad, there's some decent action and relatively likeable characters but it does have a lot of cheesy romance stuff in there and it's quite obviously trying to appeal to a female audience. Or at least to the stereotype of female anime fans..

If any of you escapists like the concept of spoof-parody dubs... watch YuGiOh Abridged. But if you want licensed parody dubs with actual professional voice actors, check out Ghost Stories:

lord.jeff:
Awesome video expically sense it informed me that the complete DVD is on it's way, I've been waiting years to hear news like that. WOOT!

I second this, it's one of my favourite childhood series.

Mangod:

DVS BSTrD:

InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
Shippo!
Miroku!
Sango!
Miroku!
Harold! Shrek! Fiona! Fiona! Mom! Harold! DONKEY!
SIT BOY!
*THUD*

Cut and paste for about twenty minutes and you've got an InuYasha episode.

DVS BSTrD:

Man, you ninja'd my joke . . .
Oh, well.
I don't know, InuYasha could have worked if the its script had a tighter focus on the characters/conflict and, you know, had ended before it ran out of ideas. Or even just at some point.

Tiger Sora:
Never saw the show before. I've heard of it but evidently it was never leased to air on YTV in Canada. They were to busy airing Pokemon and Reboot I guess. (I love those two shows).

Someone needs to abridge this abridged series. Would most likely wind up being even more awesome.

I may be wrong in this but I believe it aired on YTV between 6 and 8am just after dragonball. My three channels I watched at that time were YTV, Fox(they had some special name for their morning cartoon lineup, I think it was Fox Kids at the time) and Teletoon(when it first came out and was awesome) so my memory of what shows came on what channel are a little blurry.

Lord knows losing the original script for Inuyasha would have only improved it.

But anyway, Samurai Pizza Cats as the first abridged series? I could buy that.

I never watched the Samurai Pizza Cats, but I DO know that it basically had nothing to do with the original version, mostly because the rough translation they initially received sucked and that it would take too long to get a better translated script. So instead they just made up jokes as they went along. On one hand, this lead to some pretty amusing jokes, and perhaps the rise of the Abridged series. On the other hand... 4Kids... Ugh. >:(

Saban: "We were abridging series long before Little Kuriboh came around!"

Remember when Inuyasha was good? Neither do I.

Okay to be fair, I obviously wasn't the target audience for that show. But I'm sticking to what VGCats creator Scott Ramsoomair had to say on the subject: "It's DBZ for girls!"

Wait, Saban? As in the guys who dubbed Digimon Saban?! HOLY CRAP, suddenly it all make sense now!

As good as Digimon Adventure and Tamers were in the dub, they still had problems, and I always considered Saban to be 4Kids, version 1.0.

Grenge Di Origin:
If any of you escapists like the concept of spoof-parody dubs... watch YuGiOh Abridged. But if you want licensed parody dubs with actual professional voice actors, check out Ghost Stories

I wouldn't call them "professional" voice actors. Professionals usually have something that at least resembles talent in the field of acting (provided you exclude certain individuals like Keanu Reeves and Nicholas Cage).

I used to love Anime as a Child...i was a Major Anime nerd.

But now for some reason most anime just seems too bloody insane and outlandish that i can't watch it

Now i am convinced that the Japanese are actually Aliens...Media Aliens that is

(i know that the Japanese are not actual Aliens)

Ah the 90's, the years of my early childhood. Bob may say that 90's sucked, but when I think back to 90's (specifically the programming I grew up on) only one theme song is overlayed to the montage.

It is a glorious montage of Nickelodeon programming, the original Cartoon Cartoon lineup, bits of late 80's shows, and most of all the freaking Power Rangers. In fact I'd dare say children's television in the 90's can be summed up by sheer level of awesome that is the original Power Rangers theme song. Children's tv in the 90's was there to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and guess what they ran out of at the end of the 80's?

You may have liked it, but I didn't.

Inuyasha is a fucking terrible series...

You know there have been quite a few similar incidents in TV.

The Magic Roundabout was once such show. The Brits got a hold of the footage for this show, but were never given a translated manuscript and so they just decided to make things up on the fly and try and just make sense of what is going on on-screen and interpret a story in to it, which is why the English version and the French version of any given episode have nothing to do with one anther in the story department.
It's also the reason The Magic Roundabout was such a hit with caners as the story is quite "trippy" because of how it was put together.

There are other shows where this happened too... I forget now, but might add some more examples later.

You know, I find it funny that Bob's last comment "Settle down, I liked Inuyasha" got an even BIGGER reaction then the supposed fans of Inuyasha otherwise...

Inuyasha had a script. It was the same script used again and again and again like most Rumiko Takahashi stuff.

Tanis:
quoting only because of the avatar

Lafiel!

My wife used to cosplay as Lafiel!

DVS BSTrD:
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
Shippo!
Miroku!
Sango!
Miroku!
SIT BOY!
*THUD*

That's totally untrue! You forgot about
Naraku!
Sesshomaru!
DEMONS!
WIND TUNNEL!!!
WIND SCAR!
Demonic aura!
I sense a demonic aura!
WIND SCAR!
Jewel shards!
BACKLASH WAAAAAVE!!!
Hiraikotsu!

Add some generic enemies, plot elements and character archetypes you've seen a million times before, and voila!

Tanis:
-Gundam anyone?

*grabs popcorn* Sure! As long as it's Turn A. Wing sucked.

I've never seen any of this show - never even heard of it before The Big Picture. Will definitely have to see if I can hunt down some clips.

The story of the translation reminds me of the Magic Roundabout, a French children's program that was bought by the BBC. Ostensibly the Beeb did not receive any actual scripts when they bought the program, and so rather than pay extra to get the scripts and do a translation, they just decided to go ahead and write their own. The result is pure genius. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7LKEi9hDK0

That reminded me a lot of the French translation of Dragon Ball, that is a lot different than the original and in turn made the versions in latin languages also different since they mostly translated from the French version, instead of the original version. That actually made the Portuguese version (the one I watched as a kid) a lot funnier, with references to other Portuguese TV shows and giving Portuguese accents to characters with different origins.

this reminds me of the story behind bobo-bobobobo-bobo (or w/e) when I was part of the 91.8 the fan site, we interview the voice of Nicolas D Wolfwood. He was one of the writers for bobobo and they wern't given any notes at all. They just had to figure out what was going on in the show via watching it with no translation.

Grenge Di Origin:

DVS BSTrD:
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
Shippo!
Miroku!
Sango!
Miroku!
SIT BOY!
*THUD*

Naraku!
Sesshomaru!
DEMONS!
WIND TUNNEL!!!
WIND SCAR!
Demonic aura!
I sense a demonic aura!
WIND SCAR!
Jewel shards!
BACKLASH WAAAAAVE!!!
Hiraikotsu!

Add some generic enemies, plot elements and character archetypes you've seen a million times before, and voila!

My humblest apologies, it's been awhile since I saw the show.

.. B.. but, I liked Inuyasha.. why Bob, why?

Well back then I did until I realized it wasn't going anywhere since Naraku (the main villain) can't sticken die no matter how many times you kill him. Crap I remember a blast that destroyed his entire body wasn't enough.. he came back to life through Sango's brother and that was in a movie!

But in all honesty that show inspired me to look into anime and I will never forget it. Also what's funny is I used to have a crush on Kagome because she really stood out as a character and not some cliche' chick but now these days I just see her as an old time friend. Cheers Kagome... *tips glass*.

OT: Seemed like I can compare this anime of Ninja Pizza Cats with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - they are both animal ninjas who like pizza. DO all ninjas like pizza or something? Heck Dante from DMC likes pizza despite not being a ninja and I know for sure that Teen Titans like pizza..... almost every cartoon out there shows that the heroes love pizza. Wait a second...

They're brainwashing the community to want pizza because it's the Government's way to get people eating vegetables.

See what I did there Congress?

DVS BSTrD:

Of course they had a script. One script they kept on using over and over again until the pages fell out and they had to end the series without any sort of resolution but still...

Seriously though, the DVD release sounds awesome. I tried to find this series before but only found a couple of shady and expensive vhs cassettes.

I love it when Bob does these!

Screw the deep issues, the open-to-opinion societal and moral problems. Sometimes it's just great to learn about an American dubbed show about Ninja cat's who deliver pizza...

Also, can someone explain this "Inuyasha" thing to me??? I never saw much of it, but what I DID see, I somewhat liked. It just seems like there are 2 competing schools of though and neither of them make any sense to me...

DVS BSTrD:

Grenge Di Origin:

DVS BSTrD:
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
Shippo!
Miroku!
Sango!
Miroku!
SIT BOY!
*THUD*

Naraku!
Sesshomaru!
DEMONS!
WIND TUNNEL!!!
WIND SCAR!
Demonic aura!
I sense a demonic aura!
WIND SCAR!
Jewel shards!
BACKLASH WAAAAAVE!!!
Hiraikotsu!

My humblest apologies, it's been awhile since I saw the show.

It had all the symptoms that come with virtually every anime that is attached to a manga that has long reaching print runs. While they may be successful in Japan, the much shorter anime, where they have a clear idea of where it starts, goes, and ends (IE: Bebop, Black Lagoon, K-on, Sora no Woto) that do not necessarily enjoy that same level of success in Japan, are typically regarded as being better.

Unsurprisingly, with an anime that airs every single week for months on end the production values tend to take a nose dive after a while.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here