The Big Picture: Found in Translation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Hey....Inuyasha wasn't that bad...for a 12 year-old.

It introduced me to the world of anime. I will always love it for that...and the romance. Because I was the target audience and I ate that shit up.

Ot: I remember this show. Never watched it because it seemed too out there even for me. I wonder what other goodies I missed by being too young to bother with it...

Akio91:
Bob, you can't tell me that you honestly liked Inuyasha.......

...Yyyyyyyyyyyooooooooouuu weren't paying attention, were you?

I wanted to like Inuyasha, but the incredible stupidity of the entire cast pissed me off endlessly.
Sure, let's keep vital bits of information secret when the entire goddamn world is at stake, because Inuyasha said some retarded shit and now you're mad at him for the 96th time.
STOP BEING RETARDED AAAAAAAAAAGHAAGRRGHBL!

Huh, surprised I've never seen the Pizza Cats, sounds like it would have been right up my alley...

As for Inuyasha, I don't think it needs to be attacked or defended any more than the rest of the shonen/shoujo anime that were the "gateway drugs" for a lot of us western anime fans. Those shows were great when we were kids and they can be fun to go back and watch in the right mindset, but I don't think anyone is holding Sailor Moon or DBZ up as pinnacles of storytelling.

Perhaps it's like all the comments I've been reading about the new TMNT movie where people say, "dude, it doesn't matter, TMNT was a bad show anyway". Saying children's animation is bad doesn't make you more discerning, because it's CHILDREN'S ANIMATION, everyone already knows where the standards are. As far as I can tell, not even anime fans put Inuyasha on a pedestal, except for in relation to other shows like Dragon Ball, Pokemon, and such, which is totally appropriate. And the fans of Transformers or TMNT are only doing the same.

(I know Bob was joking, this is just a response to the response essentially)

I remembered catching a couple of episodes as a kid, but I barely remember it now. I'm gonna have to check this out sometime in the future.

Samurai Pizza Cats on DVD. I just nostalgia'd in my pants. This is a good day.

Oh man, blast from the past. I used to tape that show on VHS... The show really was bat sh_t insane. This explains a lot. Thanks Bob.

Grenge Di Origin:

artanis_neravar:
Ok now I feel that I can ask, how is Turn A? I'm waiting for the dub before I watch it

Haven't you heard? Bandai Entertainment went under, so I don't think we're ever getting an official Turn A Dub. I want to cry :'(

What sets this apart is the unique (I want to say "Victorian-era", but I could be wrong) setting. Almost every single character, minor or major, looks unique and has a distinct style (as opposed to Gundam Wing, which had every non-main character redefine "generic" in the worst way possible), and the soundtrack is just amazing...so far. I'm currently watching it, and I'm at ep 8 right now, but I am VERY impressed. I actually heard it's not as dire and bleak compared to other shows, so if you liked Zeta, or Victory Gundam because of it, you might be in for a bit of disappointment. But otherwise it's a VERY different, original, and entertaining take on the Gundam franchise, and not in a bullshit "toning down violence and mature themes in order to attract new fans of the series" way, like Gundam AGE.

I...I did not hear tha. That is very depressing. I've liked every Gundam series so far (If you don't count SD Gundam), and now it's a shame I'll never be able to watch Turn A

8-Bit_Jack:

Akio91:

You mean the the disclaimer in the credits that said "Oh Calm down I actually liked Inuyasha"? I think he did pay attention

really Bob you didn't like Inuyasha got be kidding me, It like any anime has it ups and downs. Well the ending of Inuyasha sucked, It also suck they haven't released Inuyasha the final act in English dub yet. But still Inuyasha is a great anime

artanis_neravar:
I...I did not hear tha. That is very depressing. I've liked every Gundam series so far (If you don't count SD Gundam), and now it's a shame I'll never be able to watch Turn A

What, you don't like fansubs?

"big cheese" I don't know why, but that made me laugh really hard.

YES I KNEW I DIDNT MAKE THIS SHOW UP!
seriously i saw it when i was a kid once and then couldnt find a single refrence to it UNTIL TODAY! i literally thought i dremt it all!
thank you bob! god bless you!

Grenge Di Origin:

artanis_neravar:

What, you don't like fansubs?

I can not stand Subs at all, don't have the attention for them, and I just don't likw reading while I'm watching TV or movies, I like to be able to look away, or have the internet opening doing other things at the same time.

Ikinginc:
really Bob you didn't like Inuyasha got be kidding me, It like any anime has it ups and downs. Well the ending of Inuyasha sucked, It also suck they haven't released Inuyasha the final act in English dub yet. But still Inuyasha is a great anime

Watch after the credits, there is a nice little disclaimer saying that he did indeed like it. Other than that, Inuyasha was a "great" anime the same way DBZ was a "great" anime. It was mindless entertainment with way to much filler.

MovieBob:
Found in Translation

Sometimes the parody is more relevant than the original.

Watch Video

Okay, that was honestly funny. Congratulations, you actually made me laugh.

Well while completely rewriting the entire show doesn't always work it occasionally can produce a funny classic. The Magic Roundabout is another example in which a French show was completely rewritten for an English audience and produced a cult classic.

Ikinginc:

You are wrong

artanis_neravar:

8-Bit_Jack:

Akio91:

You mean the the disclaimer in the credits that said "Oh Calm down I actually liked Inuyasha"? I think he did pay attention

I was wrong

Still, I rarely read the disclaimers on either of his shows, they tend to be inflammatory, and Bob is one of those people who gets VERY annoying when he gets that way. I figure the easiest way to avoid a ban for calling him a douche again was to ignore every bit of content he produces that doesn't stick to a specific topic like movies or nerd history. Apparently, for once, this policy both caused me to miss relevant information AND keep me less infuriated at the same time

Inuyasha is/was/forever will be balls. Nothing about it is good and everyone who perpetuates it as a positive example of the medium is both wrong and deserving of a good caning.

MonkeyPunch:
You know there have been quite a few similar incidents in TV.

The Magic Roundabout was once such show. The Brits got a hold of the footage for this show, but were never given a translated manuscript and so they just decided to make things up on the fly and try and just make sense of what is going on on-screen and interpret a story in to it, which is why the English version and the French version of any given episode have nothing to do with one anther in the story department.
It's also the reason The Magic Roundabout was such a hit with caners as the story is quite "trippy" because of how it was put together.

There are other shows where this happened too... I forget now, but might add some more examples later.

Goddamn Ninjas!

I was going to mention this. I loved the Magic Roundabout, both as a small kid and as a student "herb enthusiast".

Apparently there's a lot of jokes which didn't translate anyway: for instance in the French version, Dougal (Pollux) has a strong English accent. Moreover, his love of sugar cubes is supposed to reflect the English sweet tooth. According to Wikipedia, the rabbit was supposed to be Spanish in the original. Apparently we dubbed out the xenophobia...

Man, I remember loving that show. Had no idea that it had this exceedingly interesting origin.

Side note, my first band ever (punk band, like 90% of the bands I've been in) was called the Samurai Pizza Cats. I still have flyers complete with the cartoons on 'em.

So, now that Saban has the rights back... Speedy Cerviche DLC for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?

If such a thing existed, I would buy that game in a heartbeat.

misterprickly:
I loved how the English writing staff were able to skirt the issue of "the BIG Cheese" being an openly gay character.

Not to mention how "The Big Cheese" implies that he's a rat or something, when he's quite clearly supposed to be a fox.

At least, I think that's how it went. My memory of the show's a bit fuzzy.

nintendo414:
As a huge fan of inuyasha I'm quite glad I read your little foot note... otherwise I'd do nothing since people have the right to there own opinion. I still need to watch the ending series of it though.

As with most anime, watching Inuyasha with subtitled original dialogue substantially improves the experience.

With the possible exception of "The Big O". I can imagine that show being horribly dull in Japanese. In English, it was like Batman: TAS with giant robots. Awesome.

*nostalgia moment*

Strife2GFAQs:
Trying to simplify Inuyasha is like trying to use a toothpick to chip away at a statue...a gaudy, broken statue that smells of flatulence...but I'll try. I'll break it into steps to make it easier for me to choke it down, er, you to remember.

6. Normal anime series stretch to 26-52 episodes. They sometimes issue filler, but they tend to be short forays. Inuyasha stretched 170 episodes, plus 4-5 movies, THEN another series. That's Naruto/Bleach/Ranma territory. Don't forget that the revolving "death/revival/love triangle" plot twists rear their heads every 20-30 episodes, THEN normal filler, THEN character specific filler episodes on top of that...then a bunch of **** about baby demons with mind control powers, drunk Buddhist monks, talking fleas getting married, and other dumb crap.

If that doesn't hope to steer you away from the show, nothing will. I got out after episode 130. I almost feel ashamed for sticking with it that far. The damage that show has caused will NEVER go away.

acosn:

DVS BSTrD:

Grenge Di Origin:

That's totally untrue! You forgot about
Naraku!
Sesshomaru!
DEMONS!
WIND TUNNEL!!!
WIND SCAR!
Demonic aura!
I sense a demonic aura!
WIND SCAR!
Jewel shards!
BACKLASH WAAAAAVE!!!
Hiraikotsu!

Add some generic enemies, plot elements and character archetypes you've seen a million times before, and voila!

My humblest apologies, it's been awhile since I saw the show.

It had all the symptoms that come with virtually every anime that is attached to a manga that has long reaching print runs. While they may be successful in Japan, the much shorter anime, where they have a clear idea of where it starts, goes, and ends (IE: Bebop, Black Lagoon, K-on, Sora no Woto) that do not necessarily enjoy that same level of success in Japan, are typically regarded as being better.

Unsurprisingly, with an anime that airs every single week for months on end the production values tend to take a nose dive after a while.

From what I've heard, Rumiko Takahashi wanted to end the series a long time before it actually did, but the fans (and her production company) were like NO I WANT MORE. So that's why when it finally ends, it's a giant middle finger to every Inuyasha fan ever.

Similar thing happened to the UK children's tv show the magic roundabout, but the original french scripts weren't so much lost as thrown away and burned :)

wait, power rangers actually used part of the actual japanese footage ?
I thought it was just based on it.

At long last, my endless weeks of posting requests for the Samurai Pizza Cats episode were probably ignored or lost in the noise have come to fruition!

As always, the history is more interesting than the assumptions. I always watched the show thinking it was a parody, not of itself, but of the American brand TMNT: anthropomorphic animal heroes, love for pizza, the goofy theme song, it all seems to be a sendup of Ninja Turtles [to the American eye]. What I lose in the exchange is the irony of parodying a show based on what essentially was a parody comic (Ninja Turtles, like Toxic Crusaders, The Tick, et al, are parodies that get taken more seriously than their dramatic counterparts).

I'm pleased to hear that Saban bought back the show from Disney, because the end of the Starz contract means Disney properties aren't carried on Netflix any longer. So now there is a slim hope - which is better than no hope - that the show may appear on Netflix one day.

To close: no mention of Inuyasha is allowed to pass by without referencing this:

Samurai Pizza cats was AWESOME and after seeing 10-20 eps of it fan subed its not that much of a spoof, but still probably better than most he he he

Also Inu Yasha is not that bad, its not that great either but I seen worse and I have seen better.

Draconalis:

Tanis:
quoting only because of the avatar

Lafiel! My wife used to cosplay as Lafiel!

All that blue paint must have been hard to remove.
;)

Tanis:

All that blue paint must have been hard to remove.
;)

Blue paint...?

CronoT:
Hmmm, taking a swipe at InuYasha on a site that's populated by video game and anime enthusiasts? I hope you brought your flame shield, Bob.

Pfft. Inuyasha's as generic as it gets. Ho-hum.

On the other hand, it is Rumiko Takahashi. But that's it's only saving grace really.

Yeah. I said that.

stef1987:
wait, power rangers actually used part of the actual japanese footage ?
I thought it was just based on it.

Everything of the heroes in full costume (so you couldn't see the faces), all the rubber monsters, and all of the Zord stuff (with certain exceptions where they used the toys) was all from the original japanese releases. The off combat stuff and most of the female villains (rita excluded) was redone for the western show. It's actually why Rita's character seemed so corny. It was intentionally over the top to cover up/explain the bad dub work.

Essentially, anything that you couldn't see what was under the costume was taken directly, while anything that you could see the human behind was new content.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here