Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Mass Effect 3

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Mass Effect 3.

Watch Video

Surprised you didn't go into how batshit insane the ending was. For someone who espouses video game writing as being an important factor in a good video game, not highlighting the staggering failures in basic narrative structure seems like an oversight. Then again, pretty much all the good comedy has been squeezed out of the ending already.

Excellent review in any case. Though perhaps you should have added "It could have been worse...but not by much"

An in-depth view of why the ending was failure:
http://jmstevenson.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/all-that-matters-is-the-ending-part-2-mass-effect-3/

Love the balloon analogy for the ending, it's essentially how I felt. All that built up then......yeah. My hope is that the indoctrination theory is true, that would be awesome.

I wonder if this will be the first time on ZP that nobody tries to defend the game...

ZP and Mass Effect 3? Well, Escapist, say good by to your servers because this will cause some trouble.

"because it *was* ending?" No Yahtzee not for me at least. Yeah it could have been worse, but it also could have been done right.

Enkidu88:
Surprised you didn't go into how batshit insane the ending was. For someone who espouses video game writing as being an important factor in a good video game, not highlighting the staggering failures in basic narrative structure seems like an oversight.

He only had four days to play it so he probably didn't find-out how the way you play the game has bugger all effect on the ending.

Then again, pretty much all the good comedy has been squeezed out of the ending already.

Indeed I helped

The flinging snot at Traynor joke was probably my favorite, maybe cause that's what I wanted to do in my playthrough, just replace snot with beer bottles.

At any rate another good review.

Finally, someone who doesn't instantly hate the ending!

And I agree that the Mako was the most interesting way to do the 'exploration' aspect. Although it did have a rocket jump yahtzee.

I still think the first is my favorite, but at least the third one has multiplayer (which is actually fun!)

Clearly was not enough ending bashing for all the love this game gets...

I'm gonna have to go with Yahtzee here. The ending was rather disappointing. I would wish for more. But every single fan submitted alternative has been exponentially worse.

My guess is he's going to elaborate on his opinion on the ending with next week's Extra Punctuation.

Personally, I'm getting to sit back and laugh smugly, because EA hasn't gotten my money in about 10 years. EA is a paint by numbers video game company that slowly absorbs other companies and then devolves them into paint by numbers productions, as well.

It's like the Borg, except in reverse.

"You missed the entire point of the great rage! You completely ignored the massive elephant in the room about how insane the ending is! And how awful it was!

Good review!"

Hmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmm.

And I still don't know how does this game ends...

Well, I wasn't discouraged with the bashing it got, but for once, it's good someone talked about it without the fanboy rage. Not that I expected you to be the same.

A little late on this one, aren't we?

I can tell that this video is going to get a crap load of comments.

I do agree with this review though in the most part. Pretty much what I thought aside from raging at irritating bugs(and plus 100% more fanboyism of course).

Qitz:
ZP and Mass Effect 3? Well, Escapist, say good by to your servers because this will cause some trouble.

Yep, it's time to retreat to the fallout shelters. I give it 20 minutes until the thread is 100 comments long, 80 of them complaining about how he didn't trash the ending as much as they wanted him to (which he will probably do in Extra Punctuation), 10 of them complaining about the people complaining, 7 people actually trying to talk about the video, two spambots, and a brony in a pear tree.

I'm still not exactly sure why people hate the ending so much...

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Mass Effect 3

This week, Zero Punctuation review Mass Effect 3.

Watch Video

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the next-to-last sequence, since it kind of rides that line between "taking control away" and "putting meaningful limitations on control."

The ending left me feeling empty with no closure. I wonder what BioWare has up their sleeves. Some people has going about the indoctrination theory. If their is any truth behind it, then the writing team is pretty clever. Other wise, they half-assed it. Either way, I am pissed about an incomplete game without the proper ending. (And even more so with it if they make us pay for it)

I also miss the exploration from the 1st game :( It was actually better than just fetch thing off planet.
Also I also thought the ending wasn't bad at first,but the more you try to make sense of it,the more upset you get.And I was actually happy that the trilogy has ended,now I don't have to free up 30 hours to get this experience,unless I get DA:O.
Also just because I like the series,doesn't mean that I'm a fanboy,a true fanboy will support the latest theory which denies the ending showed from happening.I didn't support it and didn't really believe it first,but I see its potential as BioWare's second playing card.

It's not that is bad, it just feels shallow and I can't manage to give a fuck about it.

Will finish it just to enrich my pop culture, but does noting for me.

Edit: Still, good review, pointed out how unimportant is the gay part, the sotry stopped making sense and how it plays like a generic cover base shooter.

And good God, those sheets... don't make me remember them, last time i lent my house to a friend, he could at least change the sheets from the fucking bed or open the windows!

Yahtzee is a more valid authority on games than any cheeto-laden forum goer on this site. So if he says it could have been worse and maybe people are overreacting, I'm more inclined to believe that than some frothing man-child shouting "Aye wash lied two! DA nartive wash epic falez. Shivilishashun will nao collapse." He's not a bad journalist, he didn't overlook anything "all-important," and if you think you think you're disappointed because of his journalistic process which hasn't changed since 2009, it may just be possible that you're only upset he didn't take YOUR side. He took the middle ground, didn't address the controversy for more than a couple sentences. That's perfectly reasonable. This isn't in response to any comment in particular, more a pre-empt on all the ones sure to come. Don't hate on Yahtzee for this. Feel free to hate on me though, I'm really biased.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Qitz:

Yep, it's time to retreat to the fallout shelters. I give it 20 minutes until the thread is 100 comments long, 80 of them complaining about how he didn't trash the ending as much as they wanted him to (which he will probably do in Extra Punctuation), 10 of them complaining about the people complaining, 7 people actually trying to talk about the video, two spambots, and a brony in a pear tree.

Should be fun. I'll get the popcorn.

Rocklobster99:
A little late on this one, aren't we?

by the time the rest of the world got ME3 Yahtzee would have had four days to play create video and upload to the site.

OT love it, I'm officially over my ending rage now and enjoy each joke as it rolls alone, thanks Yahtzee!

T3hSource:

Also just because I like the series, doesn't mean that I'm a fanboy,a true fanboy will support the latest theory which denies the ending showed from happening.I didn't support it and didn't really believe it first,but I see its potential as BioWare's second playing card.

I'm probably a "true fan boy(girl)" I even have a ME tat, but I agree, some of the theories are getting silly!

Sounds like hes got a cold again.

I too liked the Mako segments for much of the same reason and was actually disappointed that there were no vehicles sections this time, instead getting replaced by turret sections which, while new to the Mass Effect universe, are not an innovative feature in a shooting game.

I'm surprised you didn't discuss multiplayer mode, especially since Mass Effect is a singleplayer RPG which really shouldn't need it. I mean, I doubt you played it but I was still thinking it would get a cursory mention.

DeMorquist:
Clearly was not enough ending bashing for all the love this game gets...

You're joking, right? Because this game DOES NOT get all that much love.

Honestly, the game was pretty good until the ending, and most people agree on that. Not enough people seem to be realizing that.

The Gentleman:
I'm still not exactly sure why people hate the ending so much...

::sigh:: I hate to be a hypocrite but even I have to admit Angry Joe's video on the topic describes it better than I could: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E

Even if you can explain what happened in that End of Evangelion-esque ending and all of the plot holes connected to it, it doesn't change the fact that Bioware still promised we wouldn't get a typical "choose one of three options" style ending mechanic OR the fact that the ending made all of three games' worth of player choice meaningless.

No mention of Marauder Shields?!
:(

Haha, I remember the shitzillion quotes on the Syndicate review. "Oh I can't wait for him to rip on the ending next week!". Ha, as if.

I missed the Mako. Once you got the hang of it's counter-intuitive controls, it was a laugh. I liked the pioneer feeling of being on a world that was nearly empty or even never visited by humans before.

marscentral:
I missed the Mako. Once you got the hang of it's counter-intuitive controls, it was a laugh. I liked the pioneer feeling of being on a world that was nearly empty or even never visited by humans before.

I liked the Mako too. Especially when riding on the moon.
I remember thinking "I'm driving on the mooooon!"
It was awesome.

It's funny that people would go crazy defending Super Smash Bros Brawl but when it comes to one of the most excitingly anticipated game made by a company people have been throwing roses at the feet of for years everyone is like who cares.

To be fair, the endings certainly weren't great and I wouldn't call them good. Maybe it's bad writing but perhaps it isn't, but instead it's just too fragmented and incomplete. Though by either reasons it is still crap for it lol

And also, I liked the vehicle sections too lolol certainly was better than planet scanning!

Well I'm surprised about the fact that he didn't mention that not playing MP directly affects you in SP.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here