Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Yahtzee played safe on this one. If the controversy wasn't so big, he would probably bashed the ending more.
As it is, he chose to make a little fun about the ending and a little fun about the fanboys.
I guess he is partially right - a lot of people is sad because it is the end of the trilogy, but I don't think they are necessarily the same people that are pissed about the ending.

Do they have double yellow lines in America?

Won't be the last to complain about the ending.

But unlike SOME game, at least it HAS an ending *looks at FFXIII-2*

Invadergray:
Yahtzee is a more valid authority on games than any cheeto-laden forum goer on this site. So if he says it could have been worse and maybe people are overreacting, I'm more inclined to believe that than some frothing man-child shouting "Aye wash lied two! DA nartive wash epic falez. Shivilishashun will nao collapse." He's not a bad journalist, he didn't overlook anything "all-important," and if you think you think you're disappointed because of his journalistic process which hasn't changed since 2009, it may just be possible that you're only upset he didn't take YOUR side. He took the middle ground, didn't address the controversy for more than a couple sentences. That's perfectly reasonable. This isn't in response to any comment in particular, more a pre-empt on all the ones sure to come. Don't hate on Yahtzee for this. Feel free to hate on me though, I'm really biased.

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't have a simple "upvote" or "like" function, so I have to waste a quote on saying, "I agree with you completely."

hmm sounds like he liked it.

Zen Toombs:

DeMorquist:
Clearly was not enough ending bashing for all the love this game gets...

You're joking, right? Because this game DOES NOT get all that much love.

Honestly, the game was pretty good until the ending, and most people agree on that. Not enough people seem to be realizing that.

Every game made by BioWare or published by EA is going to be hated, its gone beyond hate into threats of physical harm to employees. Really its the other way around, I'd be surprised if they ever get any love ever again. Kinda got a "its was pretty good" vibe from the video, didn't really seem like he hated it at least.

I have to agree with Yatzee on this one. The ending, which I found less then statisfying did not leave me caring enough to get angery. May be the Day 1 Prothean DLC left took all of the hate out of me. I enjoyed the game enough to enjoy my time up until the end but not enough to ever want to play the game again. I felt the same way about Mass Effect 2. I just don't care about experiencing the "different" ways the story can unfold.

Spoilers - - -

Also adding to the sense of apathy was that I completed the synthesis ending first and thought, that feels like it came out of left feild but sorta went with the theme of Sheppard making peace with the Geth and the Krogan. I said to myself what the hell and tried controlling the Reapers. Then the hate for the ending became appearent as the magic energy of Reaper death changed colour. I turned off the Xbox at that moment and traded the game in at best buy the next day. I don't even care if Bioware "improves" the ending with DLC. I have finished my most anticipated game of the year with no desire to play it again.

oktalist:

Yes, but they may not have the same meaning. American double yellow lines run down the middle of the road and indicate, "No Passing."*

*Overtaking

I didn't expect a full sided agreement with the fans in regards to the endings, but I am surprised he didn't rip the hell out of Bioware for reducing the ending choice to 'red blue or green'.

Hitchmeister:

oktalist:

Yes, but they may not have the same meaning. American double yellow lines run down the middle of the road and indicate, "No Passing."*

*Overtaking

Silly americans clearly no overtaking in either directions a double white line......

Coreless:

Zen Toombs:

DeMorquist:
Clearly was not enough ending bashing for all the love this game gets...

Honestly, the game was pretty good until the ending, and most people agree on that. Not enough people seem to be realizing that.

Every game made by BioWare or published by EA is going to be hated, its gone beyond hate into threats of physical harm to employees. Really its the other way around, I'd be surprised if they ever get any love ever again.

...I've loved everything I've seen of Bioware up until this point, from KotOR to DA:O to the Mass Effect series. While I haven't been a fan of EA, most of Bioware has been pretty good.

Mind you, not good enough for me to deal with the massive broken promise Trusting is hard!
Assuming that the ending isn't "fixed". Note: "fixed" doesn't mean removed or retconed away, "fixed" means Bioware making the ending be internally consistant with the lore, provide some amount of closure, and answer at least 1 more question than it raises.

Personal favourites, the balloon comment and also calling Peter Moloneux a yoghurt.

Very good review as always and well summed up, a mediocre (well I think disapoointing) ending but the rest of the game was pretty good.

The Gentleman:
I'm still not exactly sure why people hate the ending so much...

The most common complaint I hear is that the decisions you make in all three games ultimately affect fuck all, and that Bioware itself promised that your decisions would have a major impact on the ending. Which is why I am now afraid to play it.

Rocklobster99:
A little late on this one, aren't we?

Australia tends to release games later than other countries.

Zen Toombs:

Coreless:

Zen Toombs:

Every game made by BioWare or published by EA is going to be hated, its gone beyond hate into threats of physical harm to employees. Really its the other way around, I'd be surprised if they ever get any love ever again.

...I've loved everything I've seen of Bioware up until this point, from KotOR to DA:O to the Mass Effect series. While I haven't been a fan of EA, most of Bioware has been pretty good.

Mind you, not good enough for me to deal with the massive broken promise Trusting is hard!
Assuming that the ending isn't "fixed". Note: "fixed" doesn't mean removed or retconed away, "fixed" means Bioware making the ending be internally consistant with the lore, provide some amount of closure, and answer at least 1 more question than it raises.

I agree, I have enjoyed tons of their games going back awhile but the ending for ME3 left much to be desired. If they decided to flesh out the ending with more a little more information and fix a few plot holes I think that would be more than enough for most people, or even if they decided to play up the indoctrination stuff (what many people have been speculating) a little more that would be cool. I really don't want them to drastically change it, I would rather they just work with what is there then create something completely different.

L34dP1LL:
Well I'm surprised about the fact that he didn't mention that not playing MP directly affects you in SP.

not really, the multiplayer is just an "alternative"
the war assets room has two meters exactly for that
war assets that you collect in the game and galactic readiness for your multiplayer stats basically do the same
so yeah, it's not necessary to play the MP, but it helps

"Is it possible you're dissatisfied with the ending simply because it 'was' ending, fanboys."

Knew I wasn't going to get a lot of people on my side that the ending wasn't even close to as bad as people makes out and 'perhaps' theres another reason your all so pissy.. but I never thought yhatzee would be one of the people who agree.

Also tenner bet this comment gets quoted at least once with someone explaining to me point by point exactly why my opinion is wrong.

I say all trilogy bashing is proven wrong simply by mentioning Toy Story, but outside of that if it's really so near impossibly hard to keep up a series past the first story, how do you explain TV shows, comics, and books then?

"I always thought Mass Effect was when you fall asleep in the church."
Priceless.

Hitchmeister:
I'm gonna have to go with Yahtzee here. The ending was rather disappointing. I would wish for more. But every single fan submitted alternative has been exponentially worse.

How's this: Destroy the Reapers ending, except the Relay's won't blow up, the Normandy won't go anywhere, and Shepard dies but gets a badass funeral where Anderson (or someone else, if he didn't survive) gives a speech about his deeds in either a paragon ("We need to unite and live in peace!") or renegade ("Time to institute a new, human-lead council to sort this mess out!") fashion, recounting his achievements, the races he saved/destroyed, and it could trail into an epic montage while all the former squadmates, acquaintances, and generally the entire goddamn galaxy salutes as they lower his/her coffin into the grave with a huge, orchestral piece in the background.
That is MY ending. :P

So yeah, the endings are not THAT bad (as Yathzee said, they could have been MUCH worse), but it's all the more painful how they could have worked with just a bit of tweaking... tweaking that BioWare didn't want to, or couldn't do because of various factors *coughEAcough*.

The ballon analogy reminded me of the scene in "An American Warewolf in Paris" where Andy McDermott tried to pass the condom off as bubble gum to the hot chick in the cafe'.

classic..

I've been waiting patiently for this video and now that it's here the wait was so worth it.

Thank you for making my day again Yahtzee.

.. Guess Yahtzee wasn't all that into Mass Effect? Because judging by how he reacted with the ending- it didn't seem like a big deal to him. Yet again not everyone is hating on the ending so that's understandable... or- *LE GASP*

Yahtzee is so disappointed that he made the ending of this video seemed like it was no big deal thus we're all very disappointed that we didn't see Yahtzee getting on ME3's ending with the time of his life! .. Or maybe I am just looking to deeply into things.

Also he has a point about the characters meaning even if I wanted Shepard gay- the guys on the Normandy aren't interesting and lack a lot of qualities that makes me feel something like a brotherly bond. Only Garrus was able to pull that off with me so yeah lol. Thank goodness Yahtzee addressed the part where anything you do is pointless for ME3's ending though because that is indeed true.. sadly true.. :{

Ahhhh! Thank you Yahtzee, now I don't have to play this game. I was forced to watch as a IP that I really liked, from a (formerly) beloved devoloper, turn into a game that everyone could enjoy. I played Mass Effect 2 and after I had finished the game, I knew that the last installment in the series was going to be even more disappointing than it's sequel. The game was continuously simplifed to appeal to a wider audience (people who do not play RPG's) and in response to consumer complaints. What started as a space-faring RPG, with groundbreaking storytelling turned into Third person shooter with RPG-lite for dummies.

Limecake:
Finally, someone who doesn't instantly hate the ending!

I didn't hate it, didn't like it either. But then it would be difficult to have endings that would satisfy everyone, and by that I mean what the characters are doing afterwards. What if Liara survived and was so upset she committed suicide cos you died. (that is if you dated her)
If you didn't date her then she sets up a flower shop? Or has a rebound fling with Garrus? Or maybe all the aliens in the sol system have a war over survival and everyone dies?

At least its left open for each person to decide what they feel happened to there own Garrus or Jack being that we are personally connected to them. My version of Jack is different to others depending how we dealt with her. Also a cliché ending or being dictated "this is what happened to Jack" type thing would suck just as much. Especially if there ending for a character didn't fit in with your opinion of that character.

I liked the Mako, just there was nothing of interest on the planets and it became a chore. Especially those shitty planets with the really steep mountains. Hated those.

I liked the Mako too! In fact, to this day, I still can't understand what everyone was whining about. It's not any harder to control than any other vehicle in any other game that doesn't have a huge emphasis on driving. And there was only one planet where the terrain was so messed up that it was a pain to actually drive the Mako to where you needed to go, and that's not really the Mako's fault.

And then they took it away in the second game and just shuttled you everywhere. Boo! And when people complained, they gave us the Hammerhead. That thing was ass, but at least it was something. At least we'll get to use it more in Mass Effect 3 and have more actual planet exploring sections like the first game, right?

Nope, they took it away again. Really BioWare? Really? And the excuse is that it was away being retrofitted to get more armor and probably got blown up in the Reaper attack? Okay, fine, but surely you could have had us pick up a different vehicle somewhere. Instead we get this annoying scan from the Normandy where you push the left trigger one time and before you even have a chance to push it a second time, a million Reapers spawn to try and rape you. Lovely.

Oh, and then they tease you at the final mission by having tons of Makos everywhere. I want to drive one, why won't you let me drive one game?!

Oh yeah, and I can't forget about how you HAVE to play the awful, terrible, dreadful, shitty multiplayer if you want the super best ending which contains an extra 9 second cutscene! Hurray! And that the MP doesn't let you purchase the upgrades you want, but instead makes you buy these stupid packs that give you things randomly and gives you tons of junk you don't need. Then they have the nerve to ask for REAL MONEY to buy these stupid things, so in your desperation to get something good so you won't have to take on Banshees with a water pistol anymore, you can spend real money to get lots of packs very quickly and still get no useful upgrades. I blame EA for this one, as this reeks of their money grubbing. And this is why Valve doesn't want your games on Steam like this EA, and I for one fully support Valve on this. It's nonsense. Stop trying to milk us dry wherever you can. Any good multiplayer would let you spend your in-game credits to buy the upgrades you need for your class, but you forced Mass Effect 3's MP to be even shittier just so you can get people to spend more real money. How do people actually think that EA aren't the Satan of the game's industry anymore? Those people must be blind.

By this point it probably sounds like I hate this game. Not really. I really like it for the most part. I just needed to rant about a few things.

RedFeather1975:
No mention of Marauder Shields?!
:(

Marauder Shields is easily the worst meme ever conceived. I'd rather hear about how Mass Effect 3 had a good ending but then it took an arrow to the knee than hear any more crap about "Marauder Shields".

teh_Canape:
war assets that you collect in the game and galactic readiness for your multiplayer stats basically do the same

And this is a post from someone who either hasn't played the game and doesn't actually know what they're talking about, or doesn't understand that leaving your galactic readiness at 50% halves your military strength which blocks you out from having enough EMS to get the "best" ending. Unless maybe the Day 1 DLC adds enough assets to get it up there regardless, but with no DLC, you NEED to play some multiplayer (or use one of those iThing apps) to get your readiness higher than 50% so your EMS goes higher.

L34dP1LL:
Well I'm surprised about the fact that he didn't mention that not playing MP directly affects you in SP.

It doesnt, you get the same shitty endings if you play MP or not.

Sounds about right. The combat did become tedious, and the ending was bad for a bioware game, but not as dire as some endings eg. Deus Ex: HR.

That was surprisingly...neutral. Seriously, it felt weird.

I miss the Mako too. It made the galaxy feel big.

Zhukov:
I wonder if this will be the first time on ZP that nobody tries to defend the game...

L34dP1LL:

Yeah, that is a bit of a downer, especially for those who don't have good internet. However, as he said, he didn't have time to check out the extras so, y'know.

Hitchmeister:
I'm gonna have to go with Yahtzee here. The ending was rather disappointing. I would wish for more. But every single fan submitted alternative has been exponentially worse.

Hey, good point! But I think the fans are demanding that Bioware re-writes it how they want instead of doing one of their stories.

.....Oh wait.

Hitchmeister:

oktalist:

*Overtaking

So....does that mean you can drive along the road and then this happens?

Because that would be awesome.

OT after attention whoring: I predict a lot of bullshit from that whole George Bush analogy. If the comment post-Black Ops tells me anything, is that there are a lot of Americans out there who mindlessly defend anything their country does to a tiresomely mindless degree.
(However, I would hasten to add that they are a minority and that the others all seem to be polite, intelligent, decent, etc. people)

Hmm I am surprised that the people who disliked this episode of ZP have not claimed that Yahtzee is indoctrinated or something.

I liked the ending but then in the last few years I've become a lot more into film than games and I've gotten quite used to writers expecting me to discuss and figure out what actually happened. Sure, I was a bit frustrated at the ending to 2001: A Space Odyssey when I saw it first, but it really starts to grow on you. There are plenty of terrific movies out there that provide far less "closure" than Mass Effect 3 did so I was pretty surprised at all the fuss, although I was also jaded enough not to really expect your Paragon/Renegade choices to make much of a difference (it never really did before so I wasn't going to imagine it starting for the last 10 minutes).

I was just glad we didn't end up with a boring "and then Shepard blew up all the Reapers and everyone was friends and they all survived and lived happily ever after".

J Tyran:
Hmm I am surprised that the people who disliked this episode of ZP have not claimed that Yahtzee is indoctrinated or something.

The only way to properly dislike a ZP episode is if it isn't funny. I think we are all aware that Yahtzee's reviews are just his personal opinion on the worst aspects of the game, and most of the time people don't even agree with him. But that's not the point of his videos. His videos are entertaining regardless of differences of opinion.

I now demand someone make a game that has shrew cannons!

teh_Canape:

L34dP1LL:

Only helps if your choices sucked :P

Not done any MP (50% galactic readiness) and I've got so much strength I could actually afford to go under the min and still be over the max.

THey Don't really do the same thing. the MP stat modifies the SP stat to get the combined stat that matters represented by the green bar.

No matter how much MP you do, the SP will limit whether you can get the max, Doing no MP cannot prevent a SP campaign getting to the max.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here